Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries

Fucking Media Whore

Speaks for itself

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Apparently this is slightly based on a "true" story??

syfy.com
    Bang your head to the wild first teaser for Foo Fighters' surprise horror film 'Studio 666'
    Matthew Jackson

Early last month, the Foo Fighters announced via social media that they'd done something rather surprising: They made a whole horror movie in which they play themselves. Inspired in part by the feature films made by The Beatles in the 1960s, and by the band's own haunting experiences recording their album Medicine at Midnight, Studio 666 would blend the classic Foo Fighters sound and energy with the horror comedy vibes of films like The Evil Dead. Now, the first teaser for the film is here, and it does not disappoint.

The setup for Studio 666 is blissfully, joyfully straightforward: The Foo Fighters rent a house in Encino, California to begin work on a new album. As the jam sessions get underway and Dave Grohl starts to set up the recording equipment, though, something turns out to be very wrong. Something else is in the house besides the band and all their instruments, something much darker rooted in the house's brutal history, and it's about to make the sessions a little... complicated.

As you can see in the teaser above, the band has absolutely packed Studio 666 with classic horror imagery, from a green glowing pool that reminds us of Ghostbusters, to a Necronomicon-inspired evil book, to all manner of freaky-looking creatures. And of course, any movie where Dave Grohl is able to just float around the room is worth the price of admission.

According to Grohl, the film has roots in some very real experiences the band claims to have had while recording Medicine at Midnight in early 2020, in a rented house built in the 1940s that did, in fact, have some dark history to it. Though the landlord made him sign a non-disclosure agreement on what exactly went down in the house's past (he was trying to sell the place at the time), Grohl did speak to some freaky stuff going on during the recording sessions in an interview last year.

“When we walked into the house in Encino, I knew the vibes were definitely off but the sound was fucking on,” Grohl told Mojo (via NME). “We started working there and it wasn’t long before things started happening. We would come back to the studio the next day and all of the guitars would be detuned. Or the setting we’d put on the board, all of them had gone back to zero. We would open up a Pro Tools session and tracks would be missing. There were some tracks that were put on there that we didn’t put on there. But just like weird open mic noises. Nobody playing an instrument or anything like that, just an open mic recording a room. And we’d fucking zero in on sounds within that. And we didn’t hear any voices or anything really decipherable. But something was happening.”

Grohl went on to explain that he even brought a couple of old baby monitor cameras from his home into the house to see if they'd capture anything strange.

“At first, nothing. And right around the time we thought we were ridiculous and we were out of our minds, we started to see things on the nest cam that we couldn’t explain," the frontman said.

We might not ever see what those cameras picked up, but luckily for all of us, the Foo Fighters made a whole horror movie based on the weirdness. Studio 666 is in theaters Feb. 25, and tickets are already on sale.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2022 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,023 Posts

I like the Foo Fighters and I like horror movies, I'll check it out.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Guitars go out of tune overnight. Especially if they are a Gibson. The EVH guitars with the graphite rods in the neck not so much. People think everything is haunted now because they watch paranormal shows. People were claiming to have seen a ghost on a security camera at an old school. It made the news. Turns out it was a loose cobweb moving in front of the lens. More attention whoring from the Foo Fighters but that’s the game they play. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    The Foo Fighters made their own horror movie?

Wow.

What a terrible idea.

Whatever. Dave Grohl's band and their music has done nothing for me since the second Foos album. I can't imagine (nor would I want to) their attempt at a horror movie will be any better than their day jobs.

Wide fucking berth for this one.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It’s called trying too hard. If Grohl keeps at it he’s going to enter Sammy Hagar cheese territory and you don’t want to go there. He needs to take a lesson from Cheap Trick. Focus on the songs and sure goof around and have fun but focus on making good songs. I get with the COVID BS it’s hard to get out there but this horror movie thing is gay.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It’s called trying too hard. If Grohl keeps at it he’s going to enter Sammy Hagar cheese territory and you don’t want to go there.

I think he actually already got there with that disco album a little while back....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I think he actually already got there with that disco album a little while back....

I don’t know who’s managing them but they have made some stupid mistakes. They are doing stupid cheesy projects and you can over expose yourself. Nothing wrong with laying low as long as the next public appearance or project is good. You don’t want to hit the point of diminishing returns.

I liked Dave’s Sound City movie. That was interesting.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    A band really needs to find out who they are and stick to that. The Foo Fighters are not a disco band. Maybe they were having fun on their own time but nobody wants to smell your farts even if you like smelling them.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Very few bands can change musical genres at will. The Stones could go from disco to punk to country and back to good old Chuck Berry inspired rock n roll all in one album (Some Girls, for example) but there aren't many others that could pull it off.

Of course Van Halen had a few moments of brilliance in this regard, like when they did that "Big Bad Bill" song and made it sound just like some scratchy old jazz 78... complete with Ed & Al's old man playing clarinet on the damn thing.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Very few bands can change musical genres at will. The Stones could go from disco to punk to country and back to good old Chuck Berry inspired rock n roll all in one album (Some Girls, for example) but there aren't many others that could pull it off.
    The Stones are limeys. Everybody knows limeys are nothing but thieves. The Stones stole everything they ever played. Quit shilling for them.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    BB King said if it weren’t for those kids in England playing American blues and making it popular the American blues players who came up with the stuff would be down and out. The Limeys sparked a huge interest in the blues and everyone benefitted including the guys they ripped off.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Of course Van Halen had a few moments of brilliance in this regard, like when they did that "Big Bad Bill" song and made it sound just like some scratchy old jazz 78... complete with Ed & Al's old man playing clarinet on the damn thing.
    The hardest thing to play on Big Bad Bill was the clarinet. My dad was a clarinet and saxophone player and he heard Big Bad Bill and said that guy is pretty good but he hated electric guitars and rock and roll the good thing is he was busy all the time and not home much.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The world is one big whore house. Everyone complains about how imperfect it is but if you are going to get anywhere, you need to do some pimping and whoring yourself. If you just sit there on your high horse and complain and bitch you get nothing out of this world.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Stones use a lot of other musicians. They have horn players, keyboard players and a lot of background singers. You can mix it up. It’s not as hard as people think to play different styles.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, they use a lot of those people on stage, but usually it was just them in the studio. Maybe Bobby Keys on sax or a rotation of keyboard players (Nicky Hopkins/Billy Preston/Ian McLagan/Chuck Leavell) but mostly just themselves. And it was either Mick or Keef playing piano on the country stuff....

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

I'm surprised Matt Clifford is back with the Stones. Keith supposedly didn't like him. Clifford plays French horn so at least the beginning of Can't Always Get What You Want sounds like it should.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe that's why they hired him? A spare keyboard player who can also play horns? That's probably a bargain. They could have hired John Paul Jones for that, but it probably would have cost them more.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Clifford was on the Steel Wheels tour, then off the next few tours. He's on a couple of the Jagger solo albums. Probably why Keith didn't like him.

I think Clifford does more of the synthy stuff where Leavell is mostly piano and organ. There might have been a Keyboard mag interview with both of them around '89.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chris Shiflett from the Foos did a solo show in a small room here. It was between a Foos show at Fenway and then here at Blossom. $10 on a Monday night, just him and a guitar. Not too bad, but not a real long set. The venue has a big ballroom and then a smaller tavern setup, we were on our way out and the owner said hey, go check this other band out and they were pretty good too.

21. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (01-22-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It’s called trying too hard. If Grohl keeps at it he’s going to enter Sammy Hagar cheese territory and you don’t want to go there. He needs to take a lesson from Cheap Trick. Focus on the songs and sure goof around and have fun but focus on making good songs. I get with the COVID BS it’s hard to get out there but this horror movie thing is gay.
    I dunno...to me, it feels like Dave Grohl is trying too hard to merely be liked by as many people as possible as opposed to the Foo Fighters just making the best music they can, but I may be wrong in that the Foo Fighters may well have been making the best music they could all along...Grohl definitely wants to have his name placed along with all the others in the RnRHoF, but Dave Grohl just isn't as good a songwriter as Kurt Cobain was...and Grohl has been at it much longer than Cobain was...like, the Foo Fighters are basically lame arena rock that people who really don't have particularly discerning tastes in music enjoy.

Have the Foo Fighters played halftime at the Superbowl yet? They should. Why not? I put the Foo Fighters right in there with Maroon 5.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If they ever allow actual BANDS to play the Super Bowl again, I'm sure the Foos are probably already at the top of that list. It's a damn shame they had such a solid run of actual music in the 2000's and after that godawful trainwreck of a performance by What's Left of The Who, they never allowed actual live music to be played again. Goddamn you to Hell, Roger Daltrey.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I dunno...to me, it feels like Dave Grohl is trying too hard to merely be liked by as many people as possible as opposed to the Foo Fighters just making the best music they can, but I may be wrong in that the Foo Fighters may well have been making the best music they could all along...Grohl definitely wants to have his name placed along with all the others in the RnRHoF, but Dave Grohl just isn't as good a songwriter as Kurt Cobain was...and Grohl has been at it much longer than Cobain was...like, the Foo Fighters are basically lame arena rock that people who really don't have particularly discerning tastes in music enjoy.

Have the Foo Fighters played halftime at the Superbowl yet? They should. Why not? I put the Foo Fighters right in there with Maroon 5.
    Kurt Cobain was a natural at it. That’s the thing with bands. You have to have the right combination of people to make it work and keep it going. There’s a lot of luck involved there. The chemistry is either there or it’s not. Sure you can practice and improve your skills but you have to have the skills to begin with. You just have to have the magic or you won’t exite people. Dave has become blah and he’s going here I am, look at me! It’s so lame. Everyone is going who in the fuck are you now?

If you have to take the time to analyze if it’s good or not it’s not good. Good entertainment grabs you. Pete Townsend made an observation I think is valid. Him and his band mates got famouse because they were loud and obnoxious. They got attention and they were good enough at performing to keep the party going.

Pete said today The Who probably wouldn’t make it. Our society has seen it all and You Tube is full of great guitar players who can play it all. What are you going to grab the attention with. What’s the Wow! factor today? It’s all been done.

Maybe that’s the problem. We”ve already seen the best. We are over stimulated and hard to impress.

25. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-16-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Kurt Cobain was a natural at it. That’s the thing with bands. You have to have the right combination of people to make it work and keep it going. There’s a lot of luck involved there. The chemistry is either there or it’s not. Sure you can practice and improve your skills but you have to have the skills to begin with. You just have to have the magic or you won’t exite people. Dave has become blah and he’s going here I am, look at me! It’s so lame. Everyone is going who in the fuck are you now?

If you have to take the time to analyze if it’s good or not it’s not good. Good entertainment grabs you. Pete Townsend made an observation I think is valid. Him and his band mates got famouse because they were loud and obnoxious. They got attention and they were good enough at performing to keep the party going.

Pete said today The Who probably wouldn’t make it. Our society has seen it all and You Tube is full of great guitar players who can play it all. What are you going to grab the attention with. What’s the Wow! factor today? It’s all been done.

Maybe that’s the problem. We”ve already seen the best. We are over stimulated and hard to impress.
    See, sometimes I think rather than the general public being too hard to impress the problem is that in terms of entertainment standards people have been all too ready to settle for less.

That diminished standard explains why such purposeless rock bands as the Foo Fighters continue to fill stadiums and why mindless Marvel comic book movies get the biggest box office returns.

If mediocrity is so amply rewarded, those who produce the mundane entertainment have no incentive to try any harder than they do, because why should they?

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

You guys totally miss the self deprecating humour?

Again, this may be a reason why the grohlster and crew are so popular in Australia.
    We understand the subtle art of “taking the piss”.

It’s a bit different to waving your hiney at a camera wearing a sparkly g banger leotard while singing ‘look who’s back in circulation’… that’s just crass.

28. Thanked ashstralia for this KICKASS post:

Mushroom (01-18-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post

Again, this may be a reason why the grohlster and crew are so popular in Australia.
    Yeah, he's a fill-in from all that kangaroo rooting you Fosters drinking freaks do.

30. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (01-22-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Also, I believe we all learned something from this thread here and that is never trust a limey. This is because limeys are a subhuman species. They are thieves, liars, and bad dressers with horrible dental hygiene. Limeys are like vampires. Never allow for one of them to ever come in your home. Never take any pity on them. Better yet, never befriend one. You'll thank me later.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Also, I believe we all learned something from this thread here and that is never trust a limey...
    And what a bunch of curmudgeons, Kristy included!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You're not my dad. Hippie.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

It’s a bit different to waving your hiney at a camera wearing a sparkly g banger leotard while singing ‘look who’s back in circulation’… that’s just crass.
    Piss is what Kristy showers on Great Britain and the common wealth. If Jimmy Page is around the showers are extra heavy.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

"the grohlster?"

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Piss is what Kristy showers on Great Britain and the common wealth. If Jimmy Page is around the showers are extra heavy.
    I will shit on his grave. Someday

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ha! Jimmy lives not far from where my sister used to live in London. Just west of Hyde Park.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep, we add a ‘ie’ ‘o’ ‘ster’ ‘a’ and other things to your name.
    Here you’d be known as tezza.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Yeah, he's a fill-in from all that kangaroo rooting you Fosters drinking freaks do.
    No one in Australia drinks Fosters.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    VB was the beer in Oz when I was there. I remember taking a walk around Melbourne and this tanker truck was running a hose into a bar and I’m wondering why they are buying heating oil when the weather is hot. Turns out the big tanker truck was a beer truck. Ha! Ha! I was in Jamaica and there was a tanker truck that said Rum Only. I got a picture of that somewhere.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Ha! Jimmy lives not far from where my sister used to live in London. Just west of Hyde Park.
    He's lived a long time considering his lifestyle back in the 70s. Some of his girlfriends from those days must be pushing 60 years old by now.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

To be fair, The Foos have always been out there, they are named after the early WWII moniker of UFO's.

Bands sometimes do films, The Beatles ones suck but are entertaining nevertheless...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

I must have posted this before but I'm with Ash and the rest of the colonial commoners from the prison island on this one. I was at the first Foo Fighters tour and then didn't really follow them until I went to a show 2 1/2 years ago and was kind of blown away.

At this point they are amazing live if you throw yourself into it a bit, one of the very best gigs I've ever been to. Watching my teenage kids WTAF reaction to The Pretender opening being at their first proper rock gig with 30 000 crazy Scottish fans outside on a summer night will stay with me forever never mind them.

I sort of get the bitchin about Dave Grohl because he sometimes seems to be everywhere but hating someone for having fun and being happy and positive? If he wasn't doing that then everyone would be saying what they say about most rock stars - what is your fucking problem stop moaning, give something back, be accessible to your fanbase and so on.

Rare moment of me disagreeing with Terry about something musical but I don't think they are purposeless. I think they have some really good songs and some unique originality in their best work coming from Grohl injecting less obvious rhythm into it. I'm a bit of a greatest hits fan of them but at their best there is a lot of work put into the song structures. I also much prefer that they have added a couple of people live onstage now so they don't need to use tapes,

I won't watch the movie, I don't know if they made up the haunting of their last recording to help sell this movie or vice versa I don't care.

Someone mentioned the Super Bowl and of course they would be absolutely perfect for that and I don't know why they haven't yet. I have noticed that for a while now the halftime show has been way more about getting people to watch who wouldn't otherwise be there - most of the Foo Fighters fans are already watching so why bother. Not that anyone could ever accuse the people that run football or TV of ever being more concerned with revenue than joe public...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-22-2022 at 10:58 PM.

44. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (01-24-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    He's lived a long time considering his lifestyle back in the 70s. Some of his girlfriends from those days must be pushing 60 years old by now.
    He’s doing ok. I read about his historic house in some architectural magazine. He won’t play an electric guitar in it out of fear the sound vibrations will damage the delicate plasterwork. I found that pretty funny.

Thread Information