Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 10:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

To Everyone that Keeps Bitchin' About Maiden's Setlist

I know there's already a thread for whining about the setlist, but I thought this was deserving of it's own thread.

They put out the best metal disc of the year and people just have to find something to complain about. People bought it and would not shut up about how great it is, but the lucky few that get to see them on this tour performing this incredible album can only piss and moan like they own stock in the band or something.

Bruce's two cents:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGo0rHO_dN0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGo0rHO_dN0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

From MaidenNorway.com

In a live interview with the "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM conducted on Friday (Oct. 13), IRON MAIDEN drummer Nicko McBrain defended the band's decision to play their new album, "A Matter of Life and Death", in its entirety on MAIDEN's current tour.

Said Nicko: "You're never gonna be able to please everybody all the time.

"When we finished recording this record — that was way back in March/April of this year — when Kevin [Shirley, producer] had finished putting everything together and we listened to the record from top to bottom, it's one of those moments where — we're not sure who said it — but it was one of those magical moments when everyone was like, 'We've gotta do this live.' More than likely it was Steve [Harris] that said something. Nobody knows who it was that came up with this idea of doing it, but it doesn't really matter, because we all were in agreement. And we went, 'This is too good. What do you leave off this record?' In the past, we've always done five or six songs off a 10- or 11-track album. And so you kind of normally had two-thirds of the record performed live — I mean, 'Dance of Death', we did six tracks off the album — but this is historically the first time we've EVER ventured into doing something like this.

"For me, my personal feeling, and it's very well documented, I'm sure, is that I think that this is the best album I've ever made with this band. So I was delighted — it was a challenge, it is a challenge every night to play these songs, because they're very intricate, there's a lot more progression… there's lots of reasons what makes, for me, this album to play live a challenge. But we decided to take the bull by the horns and say, 'Look, we're not really worried…' Because we knew — and believe me, we sat and we said, 'You know we're gonna get flak for this from a lot of our older fans and even some of the newer fans who wanna hear the older classic songs.' But this is the wonderful thing when you've got 14 records that are all magic that all have great songs on them. So, let's just say, there's an average of 10 songs [per album], there's 140 tunes to choose from over a wonderful career of 25-plus years. The older fans and newer fans all go, 'I wanna hear my favorite, I wanna hear this…' but to do this, it is bold, and we just decided, 'Look, this is what WE wanna do as a band.' And we took the decision, and we knew we were gonna get various amounts of flak for it. And to be honest with you, I wrote a little [tour] diary [entry] the other day and I stuck it on the site and I said, 'Look, for you guys out there, stop freakin' whining. Just come and enjoy it. This is what we're doing because this is what WE want to do.' And it's not about not doing what our fans want. Because our fans made this record No. 9 — it was a Top 10 album — we've never had a Top 10 album in America. So there's a lot of people who are very happy to hear this album in its entirety. There are gonna be the people that are whining and moaning and groaning about it… Well, too freakin' bad. You're gonna get what get.

"Listen, if you look at it this way, and this is the way I look at it: You do an IRON MAIDEN set. We've got it split into thirds. We're doing two-thirds of the set new stuff; one-third is the old stuff. So you're getting two-to-one new. OK? That ain't bad. The great thing about it is that you know full well you're always get 'Iron Maiden' — it's the show closer, it's the signature song for the band. That will always be played last, and that's usually when you'll get the feature of whatever the theatrics we have on the stage — the entertainment side. We'll always have the album theme with a special effect come out — you're always gonna get that. One thing you always will have is 'Hallowed be thy Name', because I… myself and Steve, it's both our favorite IRON MAIDEN song to play live. And I made a deal with Steve years ago, and I said, 'If there's ever a time when you decide you don't want to do this song, you're gonna have to go get a new drummer.' Those two songs you will always have — always. There may be a time when we drop 'Hallowed' — possibly. But songs like 'The Trooper', 'Number of the Beast'… We've got 'Fear of the Dark', '2 Minutes to Midnight', and people go, 'Oh, I don't wanna hear '2 Minutes…' I'm fed up with it.' You're never gonna please everybody. But, of course, you don't wanna make somebody upset. They come all the way to see you, and they spend a lot of money to come down and have a good night out, and then they go, 'Oh, I'm disappointed.' I've read some e-mails that people have sent it, saying, 'I hope they change the setlist by the time they hit Europe.' Well, I've got news for you. Sell you freakin' tickets. Go scalp 'em. 'Cause we ain't changing the setlist."
    Last edited by SparkieD; 10-15-2006 at 12:43 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Good for them.

The more I get used to it, the better an idea it becomes.

Besides "The Early Days Pt II" tour will have a load of that stuff.

It will be interesting what "The Early Days Pt III" or "IV" will be like.

Would they really tour a full set of post 1990 material?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Look Sparkie, we KNOW you love Maiden, much like many of us, but most of us are not apologists. That album was a good album, but I, as a fucking fan, do NOT want to sit there and listen to them play the thing from beginning to end, especially with the long-ass intros and extros to every song. If I'm paying to see Maiden, I want to see some of the new stuff, and a shit load of the classics. That's just the WAY IT IS. If you went to see a reformed VH, would you want to hear the entire new album played, and then not hear Aint Talkin' Bout Love, Unchained, Running with the Devil, etc??? Come on. Nicko should keep his fucking mouth shut and realize that the reason a LOT of fans are pissed is because they aren't getting what they OUGHT to be getting.

This is like Neil Young going on tour and not playing anything from his past....who the hell wants that?

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    Look Sparkie, we KNOW you love Maiden, much like many of us, but most of us are not apologists. That album was a good album, but I, as a fucking fan, do NOT want to sit there and listen to them play the thing from beginning to end, especially with the long-ass intros and extros to every song. If I'm paying to see Maiden, I want to see some of the new stuff, and a shit load of the classics. That's just the WAY IT IS. If you went to see a reformed VH, would you want to hear the entire new album played, and then not hear Aint Talkin' Bout Love, Unchained, Running with the Devil, etc??? Come on. Nicko should keep his fucking mouth shut and realize that the reason a LOT of fans are pissed is because they aren't getting what they OUGHT to be getting.

This is like Neil Young going on tour and not playing anything from his past....who the hell wants that?
    Vengie, I'm not an apologist either. I am a diehard, yes. However, if they do something fucked up, which they have on quite a few occasions, I'm not afraid to say so.

The most fucked up thing about this tour is that only a select and VERY FUCKING LUCKY few even get to see it. I'm not giving a shit about you or anybody else not getting what they fucking want. I want to see them so bad I can't stand it, but guess what. We don't always get what we want, and THAT, my friend, is the WAY IT IS!!!!!

And if you don't like the setlist, don't go. They won't miss you. Go see Neil Young instead.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not pissed about them playin an entire album live, what pisses me off is this...

Mon 10/16/06 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre

Tue 10/17/06 Auburn Hills, MI Palace Of Auburn Hills

Wed 10/18/06 Rosemont, IL Allstate Arena

Sat 10/21/06 Irvine, CA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

That's it?

Then they run through Europe.

Run to the hills.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From The Flint Journal via MaidenNorway.com

Forget nostalgia. Enduring English heavy metal band Iron Maiden is playing its new album, "A Matter of Life and Death," in its entirety on its current tour, a move that has gone over well with fans.

"We thought the songs were so strong that it justifies playing them live," Murray said from a tour stop in Boston. "There's a lot of highs and kind of lows (in the music). There's a lot of moods. ... They're not just straight-ahead bang, bang, bang. There's quite a lot of quiet passages and where it changes tempos. The fans can stand there and listen to the music as opposed to going out there and bashing their head away for two hours."

The band - formed 30 years ago in London - knew it would be a challenge to play the whole album live.

"We thought, 'Well, every tour we've come out and we've been playing a lot of the old material, maybe two, three, four, five, six songs from the new album. We just felt like, 'Let's do this whole album,'" Murray said. "The reaction from the other night was quite stunning, so we thought we had made the right decision."

He's referring to their North American tour opener Oct. 4 in Hartford, Conn.

Fans of the old songs take heart. The band does include hits in its set, just not as much as usual.

"There will be other tours when we're going out doing all the older stuff," Murray teased.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    I'm not pissed about them playin an entire album live, what pisses me off is this...

Mon 10/16/06 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre

Tue 10/17/06 Auburn Hills, MI Palace Of Auburn Hills

Wed 10/18/06 Rosemont, IL Allstate Arena

Sat 10/21/06 Irvine, CA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

That's it?

Then they run through Europe.

Run to the hills.

Now THAT'S something worth getting pissed about!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wahhhhh...Maiden isn't playing my town..wahhhhhhh

It doesn't fucking excuse screwing over the fans who bought tickets to see them play the big songs, and then find out they're having to listen to them play the entire new album, IN ORDER....

Stop with the excuses. I saw them last time around, but I didn't buy tickets this time around, and I had two cities I could have easily attended, mainly because I wasn't going to be screwed.

Either travel to see them or wait for the DVD, but quit whining that they aren't playing enough cities, and defending a shitty setlist.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

IMO, Dickinson has turned into some kind of all-encuntmpassing elitist.

Just go play some shit and shut the fuck up.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I mean it's freaking ludicrous.....All this noise about how Maiden is only playing a few N. Amrican dates and that somehow excuses the fans getting that crappy setlist? You have the Roth Army here, who TRAVEL to see Dave when he's not playing locally. And when we get to those shows, we know we're going to get Hot For Teacher, 'Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love, Dance the Night Away, Yankee Rose, Jump, Etc etc etc....Because Dave knows WHY we go to see him.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Okay, who is the crybaby in here? You're going on and fucking on about a setlist! Why don't you go to your damn room and listen to the live albums if you want to hear the same damn songs they play tour after tour? I love those songs too, but I wouldn't pass up seeing them live just because they won't play the songs I've seen and heard them play fifty plus times.

Oh, and I HAVE travelled extensively to see them live. I have a family and career that come before seeing a band. I'm just wishing that they would play within 200 miles of me while you are busy bitching about what YOU want to hear.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 07:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ok i'm closing this. This should have been posted in the other thread.

Thread Information