• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Wally Walker FINALLY Gone

Friday, October 27, 2006

Walker's departure the 'right thing'

By GARY WASHBURN
    P-I REPORTER

SPOKANE -- A sullen and slightly disheartened Wally Walker said Thursday night that it was the "right time" to walk away from the organization he represented for 20 years, officially confirming his resignation as the Sonics' president effective Tuesday.

Walker, 52, had been president of the Sonics since joining the Basketball Club of Seattle (LLC), which purchased the franchise in April 2001. With the team being officially solid to The Professional Basketball Club (LLC), led by Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett, Walker said he felt it was appropriate to end his tenure with the Sonics and Storm.

"It's been time," he said. "New ownership wants to establish itself. It makes no sense for them to have a visage of the previous ownership with all they have ahead of them. I just think it's the right thing all around. It's right."

Walker's years as GM and president were considered rocky because of several of the team's personnel and financial decisions. Many Seattle fans blamed Walker for the previous ownership's lack of success and moves such as the firing of George Karl and signing of unproductive center Jim McIlvaine.

Walker also traded All-Star forward Shawn Kemp to Cleveland in a deal that netted troubled center Vin Baker. Walker was also partially blamed by some for the team's current arena situation. In February, The Basketball Club of Seattle demanded a refurbishing of KeyArena to be paid mostly by tax dollars. Five months later it sold the team to Bennett's group.

Bennett will seek a new arena or potentially relocate the team to Oklahoma City.

Walker attended Thursday's 111-107 overtime exhibition win over the Golden State Warriors at Spokane Arena, and he addressed the team afterward.

"I have watched so many guys in there grow up," he said of the players. "I have a lot of good friends in there."

Walker made his resignation official earlier in the day. The P-I reported Thursday that he would not have a role under new ownership. Walker would not confirm whether he sought a position with Bennett's group.

"The organization is in a great place," Walker said. "Not everyone knows that, but I know that. The ownership has a plan and I'll see it when you guys do. What I do believe is when people see it, they'll say, 'oh these guys do mean they are trying to keep the teams here.' That's the big issue."

It became apparent over the past few months that Walker was not going to have a role with the new ownership team, although he helped the group during the transition after the sale agreement July 18. It has been speculated that Bennett would name a president next week, but a source said it is not a certainty.

There has been speculation in Oklahoma City media outlets about a possible list of candidates. Bennett, according to the source, is not nearing a decision.

"On behalf of the Professional Basketball Club (LLC), I want to express my deep appreciation to Wally for his many valuable contributions to the Sonics and Storm over an impressive 19-year career," Bennett said in a statement. "We will always consider him a part of the family, and know he will share in what we believe will be a great future for the organization."

Walker said he told fellow members of the Basketball Club of Seattle that this would have been his last season regardless of the sale. For the past few months, Walker and his wife Linda planned a party, scheduled for tonight, and it had been widely speculated throughout the organization that it was a "goodbye" party. A team spokesman denied that claim Wednesday.

Walker is believed to be interested in remaining in basketball management.

"Sooner or later I will want to get back to work," he said.

P-I reporter Gary Washburn can be reached at 206-448-8006 or garywashburn@seattlepi.com.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Jesus Christ
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

So that's why I've heard more "Praise the Lords" than usual from the Northwest this week!

Comment

Working...