Thread: 5150 cab!!!!!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

5150 cab!!!!!!

so i jsut got back from guitar center and saw that they have a used 4x12 5150 cab for 250 bucks!

now is it worth buying and is it any good???

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    so any thoughts people???

Last Gasp
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I'd pick it up since it's used ... and if it's "broken in" the better ... 250 sounds like a good deal for some reason ... go back and see what you can get for a Marshall 1969 cab ... if you have anything to trade in than do it for that cab ... that's how I got my Marsh cab ...

In fact I traded my 5150 cab for it! along with some rack effects ... any chance your not buying from GC in seattle would you? That might be mine!
    Last edited by Eyes of the Night; 11-03-2006 at 06:44 PM.
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ha no chance its down here in Cali in the south bay area

i do have a peavey 212 special that cost me around 4 to 500

but i think one of the speakers has busted because i get nothing but buzz.

ill check out what you said

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    so is the 5150 cab good???

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...a good cab...GRATE price

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    It is a great cab. Thick and sturdy. Tuned great. speakers are ok, modeled after the celestian vintage 30s. I had one for many years, built like a tank
    This space for rent.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Get a Marshall instead

Even if you have to pay a little bit more..
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I tend to agree.

Though if the cab already has vintage 30s in it, it would certainly be worth 250, and then he could trade it on a Mashall cab eventually and get more trade in than just 250.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like the 5150 cab and they sound a lot better after they break in. Peavey uses a special coating on their cones to help preserve the paper better and their speakers take a while to break in because they are a tad stiff when new.

The 5150 cab sounds great with every amp I own and sounds great from clean to mean. You have to have at least one! Get a Marshall cab as well! I like having both of them! LOL!
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You mean they dope their cones...which is a way to combat shrill highs. I say gut those horrific Sheffield speakers and put some Celestion G12H30s in there. I always thought a 5150 sounded better through a Marshall cab, to be perfectly honest.

If you want a NEW cab, then check out http://www.avatarspeakers.com

These guys are reasonably priced and you can pick what speakers you want.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    The cab itself is built awesome. I also do not like the sheffield speakers. I like the Celestians. If you can get the cab cheap, maybe you like the speakers. If not dump the sheffields and go celestian. Carvin.com sells them for a decent price. Or, even get one of the Carvin Vai Legacy cabs, they come stock with Celestian vintage 30s.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The key to a good guitar cab is to use baltic birch plywood that comes out of Russia or Scandinavia. Marshall has used marine birch plywood from the get go. Peavey uses it in the 5150 cab. In fact, they order from the same supplier as Marshall.

So you have a good wood box with both. Once my Sheffield 1200 speakers broke in they sound fine to me. Celesians are now being made in China so they are price gouging off their brandname. Not cool with me. I'll go with Tone Tubby speakers before I by Celesians anymore. I can live with the Sheffields and at least some kid in Mississippi got my money and not some Chinese slave driver and the greedy Celesian company.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The key to a good guitar cab is to use baltic birch plywood that comes out of Russia or Scandinavia. Marshall has used marine birch plywood from the get go. Peavey uses it in the 5150 cab. In fact, they order from the same supplier as Marshall.

So you have a good wood box with both. Once my Sheffield 1200 speakers broke in they sound fine to me. Celesians are now being made in China so they are price gouging off their brandname. Not cool with me. I'll go with Tone Tubby speakers before I by Celesians anymore. I can live with the Sheffields and at least some kid in Mississippi got my money and not some Chinese slave driver and the greedy Celesian company.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For what it costs to reload a used 5150 cab, just get an Avitar cab new loaded with the speakers you want. Paying the shipping is still cheaper than buying new speakers.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not all Celestions are built in China though. The Heritage series are built in England.

The Avatars are 13-ply Baltic Birch cabs....which is 'zactly what one would want in a speaker cab. Ol' Sarge has an Avatar cab, and he said he loved it. Too bad he won't bring his ass on here and talk about it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    so how good are these avatar amps because they sound awesome!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Avatar doesn't make amplifiers, just speaker cabinets. What clips are you listening to?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BrownSound1
    Avatar doesn't make amplifiers, just speaker cabinets. What clips are you listening to?
    no i meant from the reviews im reading. so i guess the proper question is are they good cabs

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Avatar is in my home state of Idaho so yeah, I got to support those guys. LOL! I think their new vintage look 2x12 is cool.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I haven't heard a bad thing about Avatar. Probably the most bang for the buck, IMHO.

Yeah Nitro, that 2x12 vintage does look pretty sweet. Wish they made their 4x12s with those cosmetics.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    so i should go for the avatar?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    People say they sound good. They are all finger jointed like a Marshall and the handle inserts are even metal. They are buying speakers by the pallat and selling the cabs direct and passing the savings onto the customer.

For what their cabinets cost, I couldn't even hardly buy the speakers for. Not a bad deal. I would go for it!

They must have a woodshop full of Mexicans in Hayden Lake making the things. LOL!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    For what their cabinets cost, I couldn't even hardly buy the speakers for. Not a bad deal. I would go for it!

They must have a woodshop full of Mexicans in Hayden Lake making the things. LOL!

lol good one

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have a Peavey 5150 cabinet I got for $85 used, loaded with Celestion G12K85's. Which sucked, although it had a "loaded with Sheffields" sticker on the back. Stripped that fucker and it's been waiting for tolex 3 years now in storage with a couple other projects I just un-motballed.

It's a solid cabinet, the ply is beefy like 5/8 whcih is unnecesarily thick and makes it a little heavy for a slant cab. Front baffle design is similar to Marshall in that it screws in from the inside so that maintenance is easy with an electric stapler.

Parts: Peavey is just dynamite with ordering parts. I got the two logos for $14 plus shipping, the big Peavey was like 8 and the little corner tag "5150" was less. Grillecloth was so cheap I can't remember how much but the quality was cheap too - it looks like a ladies' nylons in sheerness. Maybe that's a good thing sonically, I don't know.

I just know speakers and cabs, and what you don't want is a lot of rattling. Well, Peavey rabbets an edge where the glue joints go, then they use 1-1/2" staples to stich it all together as is their in house custom. Everybody prefers Marshall but what it really is about with guitar cabs is the sound of the speaker and how it breaks up. After that a good cab criteria would be that the width of the cab matches your head at least its wide enough for it to sit on the cab to support it without it scooting off from being too thin or too wierd.

I swear, just yesterday I bought a Peavey 4x12 cabinet with two G12T75 75 watt and two 30 watter (cheap voishans) $40 from a ghetto-Mex pawnshop on Hawthorne Blvd., the one on the SW corner south of the paintball & auto accessories shop. How coinkydink!

Also picked up an Aria Pro II XX-MS for $190 w/case, further up the street at another pawn shop. THEN I found a killer cobalt-blue USA made Jackson Dinky (s-s-h) WITH CASE for $375.00 on the east side of the street - that pawnshop had a skulls-graphic Jackson Dinky (s-s-h) with case, $275 but it was an import, not usa.

Hawhtorne's a suck outta-the-way place in Los Angeles County nobody thinks to go thru. A proliferance of pawn shops usually is a sign of economic blighted area in which to avoid and stay out of. But I've had some good deals down there recently.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In an age that customer service sucks across the board, Peavey is a great company customer service wise. I had some biasing questions and the rep on the phone knew what he was talking about. You get your parts fast and they send warranty replacement amps out fast.

I like my 5150 cab. Sure the logos are cheap shit and the coaster wheels could be better but the wood box is built well and I actually don't mind the Sheffield speakers. They sound much better after they have been broken in and seem reliable. I fucking abuse the shit out of them with feedback and crazy whammy action and they take it.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I will not deny Sleavey makes good products. I went on a tour of the factory while on tour in 1984.

But I have yet to hear one I truly liked.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Hardrock69
    But I have yet to hear one I truly liked.
    You and me both.

I've owned a few Peaveys in my day...mainly because a) they were cheap, and b) they were cheap. The Classic isn't too bad for a Fender rip off, but other than that forget it. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was with the 5150. I owned one of those too for a bit, but after a while I got rid of it and went back to a Marshall. I wish I had done some mods on the 5150 like adding a bias pot and things like that. The bias mod is supposed to work wonders, which I don't doubt, and along with the addition of some EL34s it might have changed my mind. I doubt it though as I cannot stand high gain amps for the most part. Don't like Messy/Boogers either.

Like I've said in the past, there are three types of guitar amp tones...Fender, Marshall, and Vox. Never heard of anyone wanting that "classic Peavey sound."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've read enough about Hartley Peavey to know the guy's business plan is to make affordable, well built gear for the musician.

I have a 5150 II I wouldn't part with and the only mod I have done to it was put in a wide sweep bias pot. I talked with Peavey and the answer I got was they bias the amp cold so that the averag person can just plug in new tubes and that's it. Some like the colder sound; especially, the new death metal maggots.

For a good classic rock tone you need to bias those tubes with a higher idle current.

The crunch channel on a 5150 II is capable of some good tones. These amps are very pressence/ressonance and EQ sensative, so you have to dial in a good tone or they will sound like shit.

They like Marshall 1960 and 5150 cabinets.

I use my 5150II for everything now, including blues on the clean channel. Hey, it's not a tweed Bassman but I can get a good tone out of it. I'm actually happier with the 5150 II with a wide sweep bias than I was with a Marshall DSL 100.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    yeah im looking for a used one. whats the difference between a 5150 head and a 5150 II

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The 5150II has an extr tube dedicated to the clean channel. The 5150 is a high gain buzz saw. The 5150 II has a more refined clean channel. I hardly ever use the lead channel. I used the clean channel with the crunch button engaged.

This is whee Ted Nugent is running his and he was getting some great tone last time I saw him. You can even get a old VH tone if you work at it.

I like the 5150 II because it does a little bit of everything pretty good. Its pretty peddle friendly as well. I load the front end with a Fuzz Face and a Phase 90 and nail a good Voodoo Chile. I even use the high gain for some wierd Hendrix shit.

Every guitar I have sounds good through the 5150 II. Basically, it's all I take to gigs now. A 5150 II halfstack.

Last Gasp
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I liked the lead channel on my II ... I never tried the clean channel with a distortion pedal ... guess I shoulda but never liked any pedals out there ... besides the II's lead gain is massive and raw ... which is my forte' ... RAW

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's much to explore in that lead channel. All I know is I had a Les Paul screaming through it and the sustain was massive!

Last Gasp
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah Nitro, agreed ...

I think the best thing I ever did was using a Marshall 1969A cab with it ... and switching the tubes out to get rid of the Halenish Hagar tone ...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The more I use my 5150 II the more I like it. It's a fun amp to diddle with. I've done some preamp tube experimentation using different ones in different spots. I have a NOS Telefunken in the V2 spot and that sweetened up the sound.

Peavey ships these things out with a cold bias and the cheapest tubes they could score a deal on. A low idle current draw and Chinese Sino tubes isn't a tone wonder. You have to play with these things a bit.

Once you get the bias and tubes figured out, it's the only amp you need. It will do clean, it will do classic tone, it will scream harder than a Soldano.

Thread Information