X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLRdelight!
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

5150 cab!!!!!!

so i jsut got back from guitar center and saw that they have a used 4x12 5150 cab for 250 bucks!

now is it worth buying and is it any good???
  • DLRdelight!
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

so any thoughts people???

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

I'd pick it up since it's used ... and if it's "broken in" the better ... 250 sounds like a good deal for some reason ... go back and see what you can get for a Marshall 1969 cab ... if you have anything to trade in than do it for that cab ... that's how I got my Marsh cab ...

In fact I traded my 5150 cab for it! along with some rack effects ... any chance your not buying from GC in seattle would you? That might be mine!
      Last edited by Eyes of the Night; 11-03-2006, 07:44 PM.
      Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• DLRdelight!
        Veteran
        • Jul 2004

ha no chance its down here in Cali in the south bay area

i do have a peavey 212 special that cost me around 4 to 500

but i think one of the speakers has busted because i get nothing but buzz.

ill check out what you said

Comment

• DLRdelight!
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

so is the 5150 cab good???

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

Yeah...a good cab...GRATE price

Comment

• indeedido
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

It is a great cab. Thick and sturdy. Tuned great. speakers are ok, modeled after the celestian vintage 30s. I had one for many years, built like a tank
              This space for rent.

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Get a Marshall instead

Even if you have to pay a little bit more..
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

I tend to agree.

Though if the cab already has vintage 30s in it, it would certainly be worth 250, and then he could trade it on a Mashall cab eventually and get more trade in than just 250.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I like the 5150 cab and they sound a lot better after they break in. Peavey uses a special coating on their cones to help preserve the paper better and their speakers take a while to break in because they are a tad stiff when new.

The 5150 cab sounds great with every amp I own and sounds great from clean to mean. You have to have at least one! Get a Marshall cab as well! I like having both of them! LOL!
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• BrownSound1
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Mar 2003

You mean they dope their cones...which is a way to combat shrill highs. I say gut those horrific Sheffield speakers and put some Celestion G12H30s in there. I always thought a 5150 sounded better through a Marshall cab, to be perfectly honest.

If you want a NEW cab, then check out http://www.avatarspeakers.com

These guys are reasonably priced and you can pick what speakers you want.

Comment

• indeedido
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2004

The cab itself is built awesome. I also do not like the sheffield speakers. I like the Celestians. If you can get the cab cheap, maybe you like the speakers. If not dump the sheffields and go celestian. Carvin.com sells them for a decent price. Or, even get one of the Carvin Vai Legacy cabs, they come stock with Celestian vintage 30s.
                        This space for rent.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

The key to a good guitar cab is to use baltic birch plywood that comes out of Russia or Scandinavia. Marshall has used marine birch plywood from the get go. Peavey uses it in the 5150 cab. In fact, they order from the same supplier as Marshall.

So you have a good wood box with both. Once my Sheffield 1200 speakers broke in they sound fine to me. Celesians are now being made in China so they are price gouging off their brandname. Not cool with me. I'll go with Tone Tubby speakers before I by Celesians anymore. I can live with the Sheffields and at least some kid in Mississippi got my money and not some Chinese slave driver and the greedy Celesian company.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

The key to a good guitar cab is to use baltic birch plywood that comes out of Russia or Scandinavia. Marshall has used marine birch plywood from the get go. Peavey uses it in the 5150 cab. In fact, they order from the same supplier as Marshall.

So you have a good wood box with both. Once my Sheffield 1200 speakers broke in they sound fine to me. Celesians are now being made in China so they are price gouging off their brandname. Not cool with me. I'll go with Tone Tubby speakers before I by Celesians anymore. I can live with the Sheffields and at least some kid in Mississippi got my money and not some Chinese slave driver and the greedy Celesian company.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

For what it costs to reload a used 5150 cab, just get an Avitar cab new loaded with the speakers you want. Paying the shipping is still cheaper than buying new speakers.

Comment

Working...