Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The 5150II has an extr tube dedicated to the clean channel. The 5150 is a high gain buzz saw. The 5150 II has a more refined clean channel. I hardly ever use the lead channel. I used the clean channel with the crunch button engaged.

This is whee Ted Nugent is running his and he was getting some great tone last time I saw him. You can even get a old VH tone if you work at it.

I like the 5150 II because it does a little bit of everything pretty good. Its pretty peddle friendly as well. I load the front end with a Fuzz Face and a Phase 90 and nail a good Voodoo Chile. I even use the high gain for some wierd Hendrix shit.

Every guitar I have sounds good through the 5150 II. Basically, it's all I take to gigs now. A 5150 II halfstack.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

I liked the lead channel on my II ... I never tried the clean channel with a distortion pedal ... guess I shoulda but never liked any pedals out there ... besides the II's lead gain is massive and raw ... which is my forte' ... RAW

Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

There's much to explore in that lead channel. All I know is I had a Les Paul screaming through it and the sustain was massive!

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

Yeah Nitro, agreed ...

I think the best thing I ever did was using a Marshall 1969A cab with it ... and switching the tubes out to get rid of the Halenish Hagar tone ...

Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

The more I use my 5150 II the more I like it. It's a fun amp to diddle with. I've done some preamp tube experimentation using different ones in different spots. I have a NOS Telefunken in the V2 spot and that sweetened up the sound.

Peavey ships these things out with a cold bias and the cheapest tubes they could score a deal on. A low idle current draw and Chinese Sino tubes isn't a tone wonder. You have to play with these things a bit.

Once you get the bias and tubes figured out, it's the only amp you need. It will do clean, it will do classic tone, it will scream harder than a Soldano.

Comment

Working...