Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Judge OK's Challenge to RIAA's $750-per-song Claim

In UMG v. Lindor, in Brooklyn federal court, the presiding judge has held that Marie Lindor can try to prove that the RIAA's claim of $750-per-song statutory damages is a violation of the Due Process Clause of the Constitution, since she has evidence that the actual wholesale price of the downloads is only 70 cents. This decision activates an earlier ruling by the Magistrate in the case that the record labels must now turn over 'all relevant documents' regarding the prices at which they sell legal downloads to online retailers, and produce a witness to give a depositio
    n by telephone on the subject. Judge Trager rejected the RIAA's claim that the defense was frivolous, pointing out that the RIAA had cited no authorities contradicting the defense, but Ms. Lindor's attorneys had cited cases and law review articles indicating that it was a valid defense.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...19224&from=rss
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah!

Fuck those greedy bastards!

Maybe now we'll see some sort of justice.

Don't get me wrong, I download music, but I also go out and spend a ripping ton of cash on cd, concert tickets and merchandise from particular artists. I can understand why artists would feel they're getting hurt, but I feel its the companies lawyers that are raking in the king's profits for what?

70 cents would be a fair amount but you know if Apple is charging 99 cents a song then you just know that they're getting for 35 cents! The "devil" is all in the mark-up!

In short, support your bands or they won't be around very long...support your local music scene...learn how to play!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thread Information