Van Halen II's "You're No Good" Resurrect a Forgotten Classic or Keep it Buried?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firestarter
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Van Halen II's "You're No Good" Resurrect a Forgotten Classic or Keep it Buried?

dave never plays it live as a solo artist, neither did van hagar, dave and vh only played it on the 79 tour and the 1980 invasion tour. the radio never plays it. is it buried for a good reason or is it still a kickass classic vh tune??
    Last edited by firestarter; 11-21-2006, 11:12 PM.
  • BALLYJUNKIE
    Head Fluffer
    • Nov 2004

THE GREAT THING ABOUT VAN HALEN WAS WHEN THEY DID A COVER SONG ,IT SOUNDED NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL ,THEY MADE IT THIER OWN. A TRUE CLASSIC IS NEVER FORGOTTON .

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

IT gets played in DETROIT all the time.......

CLASSIC VAN HALEN cover......

EVH does the "chime" thing in it.......a million guitarist have ripped that move off.......

They live video from '79 is KILLER

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Is there a better cover anywhere?

I think not.

I agree with Mr White...that live clip could be my favourite live Van Halen cut of all.
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
          Commando
          • Apr 2006

Van Halen 2 was a kick ass album!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I agree.

It is a shame that some of the sonic quality of the album is not up to par of the others.

Light up the Sky has one of the best endings of any Van Halen song.
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Have always enjoyed that tune. CVH "Van Halenized" every cover they ever did...you ain't gonna confuse it with Linda R's, that's fo' sho'!

But I can definitely think of other CVH original tunes I'd wanna hear should they reunite and play live, rather than that excellent cover.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                It is a shame that some of the sonic quality of the album is not up to par of the others.
                I disagree. I like the clarity and isolation of the individual instruments. I think VH II (like ALL CVH) sounds the best played LOUD AS FUCK!

The remasters sound KILLER .....

Light up the Sky has one of the best endings of any Van Halen song.
                For sure. Their "planned" endings were smokin.

"You're No Good" has always been a favourite of mine. A very overlooked CVH tune.
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

"You're No Good" would be OK, but I'd really rather hear the song that it originated from, "Down In Flames".
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BrownSound1
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                    "You're No Good" would be OK, but I'd really rather hear the song that it originated from, "Down In Flames".
                    I agree 100%. "Down In Flames" is a far superior tune. Oh and to clarify for those who don't know, a lot of the guitar work Ed used in the cover of "You're No Good" was originally in "Down In Flames." The volume swells and the feel of the main riff were what he used. Both are in the same key, so it transposed pretty easy. I've often wondered why they didn't record "Down In Flames" properly. It would have been an instant classic, no doubt about it.

Hell I want to hear Light Up the Sky too. Push Comes to Shove would be awesome too, as well as Dirty Movies. It'll never happen though.

Comment

• Revan
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Sep 2006

Maybe someday they'll surprise us with an oddballs-only concert/tour. Maybe if all the rumors pan out, they could throw a few things in there, like You're No Good, just to mix it up a bit. It'd be nice, considering a lot of bands are doing that these days.
                      http://photos.meetup.com/photos/memb...er_220996.jpeg

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                      Gentlemen,

If a thread called "the sheep pen" has the longest post count to date, I say that's work of a true genius!
                      Originally posted by thome
                      I used to run headlong into a oak tree down at the local park .Really slam my skull into it, you know with FEELING.The local kids used to stand around and watch and smoke doobies good time was had by all. Anyway the city cut the tree down so my bitch is.....What was the question?

Comment

• Kilkmaru
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                        I agree 100%. "Down In Flames" is a far superior tune. Oh and to clarify for those who don't know, a lot of the guitar work Ed used in the cover of "You're No Good" was originally in "Down In Flames." The volume swells and the feel of the main riff were what he used. Both are in the same key, so it transposed pretty easy. I've often wondered why they didn't record "Down In Flames" properly. It would have been an instant classic, no doubt about it.

Hell I want to hear Light Up the Sky too. Push Comes to Shove would be awesome too, as well as Dirty Movies. It'll never happen though.
                        Is there a demo version of Down in Flames? iv only heard the live version /.
                        Greg

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

I love the screams on that one!

It's got a really unique vibe to it that only CVH could do as well...
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• RobTheCradle
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Nov 2006

Good song, but I'd rather hear just about every other song on VHII before it.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                              Commando
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              I think "Down In Flames" should have been put on VH 2 instead of the cover tune. It is far superior to "You're No Good".

Comment

Working...