Thread: EVH and his Wife are Unfit Parents

I'm a Hustla, homey
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

EVH and his Wife are Unfit Parents

Just found this. Useful Parenting Info just in case EVH reads this messageboard....

Fat camp kids face struggles
    By Iraq Dreyfuss
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The last of the children who went away to camp this summer to lose weight are returning home, where the odds are that they will regain whatever they lost.

Experts in childhood obesity say the fat fight is won or lost with the child's parents, not counselors.

``If you think the camp is going to solve the problem--the child will at long last lose weight and keep it that way--you can forget it,'' said Dr. Oded Bar-Or, director of the Children's Exercise and Nutrition Center, affiliated with McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

Something must be done about the increasing number of children with weight problems, but fat camp probably isn't it, Bar-Or and other experts said.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, America is facing an unprecedented epidemic of childhood obesity. And with the weight comes a greater chance of contracting diabetes as well as risk factors for heart disease.

Getting kids to play more and eat better could fight the weight gains, and going to camp can do both. So the experts have nothing against camp. ``Fat camp can be a nice jump start,'' said Keith Ayoob, an associate professor of pediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, and a spokesman for the American Dietetic Association.

``Exercise is very, very key,'' Ayoob said. At camp, kids try sports that are different from the ones they see in school--sports they don't play particularly well, he said.

But camp doesn't solve a weight problem, Bar-Or said. ``In the camp, they are away from all those things that made them obese, but they cannot stay in camp for life,'' he said.

Parents must pick up where camp leaves off, by changing the lifestyle of the whole family--parents included, Ayoob said.

``While the kids are away, the family should say, 'We need to get started so we have the mechanics in place,''' Ayoob said. ``How willing are you as parents to make gradual changes in eating style and physical activity?''

The activity has to fit the family. A child who went away to camp may have gone hiking or horseback riding, but children returning to cities and suburbs can't keep that up. Instead, families could ease into their own activities, by walking instead of driving to errands and starting regular walking programs, Ayoob said.

Camps can teach better eating habits, but the habits don't last if the at-home diet doesn't change.

``If you involve at least one parent, and the more you involve them, the more chance the child will achieve a healthy weight,'' said Melinda Sothern, director of the Laboratory for the Prevention of Childhood Obesity at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center of Louisiana State University.

``Change one habit every month,'' Ayoob said. ``Instead of snacking on cookies and chips, three days a week we snack on fresh fruit.''

Without those changes, camp can backfire because weight lost can bounce back. ``Yo-yo weight change is a well-known phenomenon,'' Bar-Or said. ``You gain, and after you gain it is harder to lose, so you lose a little less the next time. It's a zigzag that keeps going up. And this is what some camps can cause, with all due respect.''

Although camp counselors say their campers keep off weight they lost, there's no published research to prove it, Sothern said. ``They may learn some concepts, but there is no research to support that even happens,'' she said.

A doctor at one camp said he can document improvements, and has submitted his results for publication in a journal. The average camper had kept off 9 pounds after six months, as measured by a school nurse or a doctor's office, said Steven Masley, medical director of the Pritikin Longevity Center, a health center and spa in Aventura, Fla.

However, the Pritikin plan requires dedication. Its restrictions on protein and its reliance on minimally processed foods such as raw or steamed vegetables make the program sharply different from the ordinary American diet.

___

On the Net:

American Dietetic Association: http://www.eatright.org/Public/index(underscore)16637.cfm

Pennington Biomedical Research Center: http://www.pbrc.edu/index.asp

Pritikin Longevity Center: http://www.pritikin.com/indexNEW.htm

Iraq Dreyfuss writes for The Associated Press.

http://www.ajc.com/health/content/sh...s/fatcamp.html

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hell, wolfie would need a year in fat camp....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe mom can join him.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

In touch w/ feminine side
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Sometimes I get the menstrual cramps real hard
    Status
    Assholes...GFY
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    I guess you're right...

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Grow up Asshole.
    What kind of person makes accusations like that?
    I'm sure Wolfie has had the best of everything in life.
    To top it off, he's about to go out on tour with the best band the world has ever seen.

OH, I think he's had a tough go of it.

Fuck-off Meat-Head.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Archie Bunker, is that you?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fat kids? Parents are responsible?

The fucking school system is also responsible. Remember when we were kids we had recess sometimes 2 times a day? Not anymore. Kids get to opt out of phys ed in some places as young as 7th grade. Remember the President's physical fitness test during Ronnie's Admin? Where did that go?

How fucking dumb is the human race? Kids spend the majority of their time at school. Shouldn't we be emphasizing physical education in school for more than sports leagues?

I had a fat kid. The school system wouldn't be budged on putting more phys. ed. in the curicullum so what did I do? He and I (together) got involved with the Young Marines. He had weekly physical fitness tests where the scores had to be above a standard just to succeed in the ranks. He LOVED it. He worked his ass off and quickly got the rank of Corporal. When the Unit stopped being useful, we left and I enrolled him in a boxing class at a local gym. That's when the pounds really started falling off. He went from 5'3" 176 lbs, to 5"4" 146 in 4 months. He was working 2 hours a night 2 nights a week. He was 15 years old and started his OWN diet based on the recommendations of the boxing teacher. He started really enjoying the way he looked, the way he felt, and how strong he was getting.

Now, he's 16 1/2...in FANTASTIC shape, and around 5'6" at 140 lbs. He lifts weights 3 nights a week and does a mile run every Sunday morning. He barely drinks any soda because he learned all about dehydration in Young Marines.

These are all choices he made himself based on the phys ed training we got involved in. Not because I enforced rules at home even though the school system didn't help in any way.

We need to get serious about putting physical education back into schools if we're serious about helping our children control their weight. Nothing at home works if the parents are the only ones saying it. That goes for most everything as far as children are concerned.
    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thank-you.
    That's a great comeback story for your son.
    Congrats.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks. He took a beating in Middle School about his weight. It broke my heart to think about what he was enduring in school and those affect you for life.

I did join the PTA at first, but they didn't give a shit. All they wanted was for their own children to be the star pupils. Stupid parents bickering over who had the better kid...bitching teachers out because "junior" wasn't the on the starting team or seated on the front during a band show. Same thing eventually happened in Young Marines (that's why we left).

I think this society thinks there's a "miracle pill" for every damn problem we have. Make fast food restaurants serve healthier choices, charge more, and make all restaurants serve smaller portions...sure, it's good to change your eating habits but it's YOUR responsiblity to make those choices and to MOVE MORE.

It's sickening how we sit on our asses and blame everyone else for our downfalls. It's filty arrogant behavior that's killing us, not what McDonald's offers for sale.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Ellyllions
    It's sickening how we sit on our asses and blame everyone else for our downfalls. It's filty arrogant behavior that's killing us, not what McDonald's offers for sale.
    No shit...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Thread Information