06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Who Saw THIS Coming????

CQ HOMELAND SECURITY – SpyTalk
    Dec. 8, 2006 – 7:43 p.m.
    Democrats’ New Intelligence Chairman Needs a Crash Course on al Qaeda
    By Jeff Stein, CQ National Security Editor
    Forty years ago, Sgt. Silvestre Reyes was a helicopter crew chief flying dangerous combat missions in South Vietnam from the top of a soaring rocky outcrop near the sea called Marble Mountain.

After the war, it turned out that the communist Viet Cong had tunneled into the hill and built a combat hospital right beneath the skids of Reyes’ UH-1 Huey gunship.

Now the five-term Texas Democrat, 62, is facing similar unpleasant surprises about the enemy, this time as the incoming chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

That’s because, like a number of his colleagues and top counterterrorism officials that I’ve interviewed over the past several months, Reyes can’t answer some fundamental questions about the powerful forces arrayed against us in the Middle East.

It begs the question, of course: How can the Intelligence Committee do effective oversight of U.S. spy agencies when its leaders don’t know basics about the battlefield?

To his credit, Reyes, a kindly, thoughtful man who also sits on the Armed Service Committee, does see the undertows drawing the region into chaos.

For example, he knows that the 1,400- year-old split in Islam between Sunnis and Shiites not only fuels the militias and death squads in Iraq, it drives the competition for supremacy across the Middle East between Shiite Iran and Sunni Saudi Arabia.

That’s more than two key Republicans on the Intelligence Committee knew when I interviewed them last summer. Rep. Jo Ann Davis, R-Va., and Terry Everett, R-Ala., both back for another term, were flummoxed by such basic questions, as were several top counterterrorism officials at the FBI.

I thought it only right now to pose the same questions to a Democrat, especially one who will take charge of the Intelligence panel come January. The former border patrol agent also sits on the Armed Services Committee.

Reyes stumbled when I asked him a simple question about al Qaeda at the end of a 40-minute interview in his office last week. Members of the Intelligence Committee, mind you, are paid $165,200 a year to know more than basic facts about our foes in the Middle East.

We warmed up with a long discussion about intelligence issues and Iraq. And then we veered into terrorism’s major players.

To me, it’s like asking about Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland: Who’s on what side?

The dialogue went like this:

Al Qaeda is what, I asked, Sunni or Shia?

“Al Qaeda, they have both,” Reyes said. “You’re talking about predominately?”

“Sure,” I said, not knowing what else to say.

“Predominantly — probably Shiite,” he ventured.

He couldn’t have been more wrong.

Al Qaeda is profoundly Sunni. If a Shiite showed up at an al Qaeda club house, they’d slice off his head and use it for a soccer ball.

That’s because the extremist Sunnis who make up a l Qaeda consider all Shiites to be heretics.

Al Qaeda’s Sunni roots account for its very existence. Osama bin Laden and his followers believe the Saudi Royal family besmirched the true faith through their corruption and alliance with the United States, particularly allowing U.S. troops on Saudi soil.

It’s been five years since these Muslim extremists flew hijacked airliners into the World Trade Center.

Is it too much to ask that our intelligence overseers know who they are?

Civil War
    And Hezbollah? I asked him. What are they?

“Hezbollah. Uh, Hezbollah...”

He laughed again, shifting in his seat.

“Why do you ask me these questions at five o’clock? Can I answer in Spanish? Do you speak Spanish?”

“Poquito,” I said—a little.

“Poquito?! “ He laughed again.

“Go ahead,” I said, talk to me about Sunnis and Shia in Spanish.

Reyes: “Well, I, uh....”

I apologized for putting him “on the spot a little.” But I reminded him that the people who have killed thousands of Americans on U.S. soil and in the Middle East have been front page news for a long time now.

It’s been 23 years since a Hezbollah suicide bomber killed over 200 U.S. military personnel in Beirut, mostly Marines.

Hezbollah, a creature of Iran, is close to taking over in Lebanon. Reports say they are helping train Iraqi Shiites to kill Sunnis in the spiralling civil war.

“Yeah,” Reyes said, rightly observing, “but . . . it’s not like the Hatfields and the McCoys. It’s a heck of a lot more complex.

“And I agree with you — we ought to expend some effort into understanding them. But speaking only for myself, it’s hard to keep things in perspective and in the categories.”

Reyes is not alone.

The best argument for needing to understand who’s what in the Middle East is probably the mistaken invasion itself, despite the preponderance of expert opinion that it was a terrible idea — including that of Bush’s father and his advisers. On the day in 2003 when Iraqi mobs toppled the statue of Saddam Hussein in Baghdad, Bush was said to be unaware of the possibility that a Sunni-Shia civil war could fill the power vacuum, according to a reliable source with good White House connections.

If President Bush and some of his closest associates, not to mention top counterterrorism officials, have demonstrated their own ignorance about who the players are in the Middle East, why should we expect the leaders of the House Intelligence Committee to get it right?

Trent Lott, the veteran Republican senator from Mississippi, said only last September that “It’s hard for Americans, all of us, including me, to understand what’s wrong with these people.”

“Why do they kill people of other religions because of religion?” wondered Lott, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, after a meeting with Bush.

“Why do they hate the Israelis and despise their right to exist? Why do they hate each other? Why do Sunnis kill Shiites? How do they tell the difference?

“They all look the same to me,” Lott said.

Haunting
    The administration’s disinterest in the Arab world has rattled down the chain of command.

Only six people in the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad are fluent in Arabic, according to last week’s report of the Iraq Study Group. Only about two dozen of the embassy’s thousand employees have some familiarity with the language, the report said.

The Iraq Study Group was amazed to find that, despite spending $2 billion on Iraq in 2006, more wasn’t being done to try “to understand the people who fabricate, plant and explode roadside bombs.”

Rare is the military unit with an American soldier who can read a captured document or interrogate a prisoner, my own sources tell me.

It was that way in Vietnam, too, Reyes says, which “haunts us.”

“If you substitute Arabization for Vietnamization, if you substitute . . . our guys going in and taking over a place then leaving it and the bad guys come back in. . . .”

He trails off, despairing.

“I could draw many more analogies.”

Yet Reyes says he favors sending more troops there.

“If it’s going to target the militias and eliminate them, I think that’s a worthwhile investment,” he said.

It’s hard to find anybody in Iraq who thinks the U.S. can do that.

On “a temporary basis, I’m willing to ramp them up by twenty or thirty thousand . . . for, I don’t know, two months, four months, six months — but certainly that would be an exception,” Reyes said.

Meanwhile, the killing is going on below decks, too, within Sunni and Shiite groups and factions.

Anybody who pays serious attention to Iraq knows that.

Reyes says his first hearings come January will focus on how U.S. intelligence can do a better job helping the troops in Iraq.

It may be way too late for that.

“Stop giving me tests!” Reyes exclaimed, half kidding.

“I’m not going to talk to you any more!”

Next: More on intelligence topics from my interview with Rep. Reyes.

Jeff Stein can be reached at jstein@cq.com.

Source: CQ Homeland Security
    © 2006 Congressional Quarterly Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://public.cq.com/public/20061211_homeland.html

This is like asking a candidate for the commish of MLB what's the difference between the American and National leagues!!!

Why am I NOT surprised by this? How long can this story stay down?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nevermind...your news network has it!

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/po...nce-chief.html

Monday, December 11, 2006
    Incoming House intelligence chief botches easy intel quiz
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas, who incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has tapped to head the Intelligence Committee when the Democrats take over in January, failed a quiz of basic questions about al Qaeda and Hezbollah, two of the key terrorist organizations the intelligence community has focused on since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Shiite -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."

That is wrong. Al Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organization and views Shiites as heretics.

Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Shiite group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

Stein's column about Reyes' answers was published on CQ's Web site Friday evening.

In an interview with CNN, Stein said he was "amazed" by Reyes' lack of what he considers basic information about two of the major terrorists organizations.

"If you're the baseball commissioner and you don't know the difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox, you don't know baseball," Stein said. "You're not going to have the respect of the people you work with."

While Stein said Reyes is "not a stupid guy," his lack of knowledge said it could hamper Reyes' ability to provide effective oversight of the intelligence community, Stein believes.

"If you don't have the basics, how do you effectively question the administration?" he asked. "You don't know who is on first."

Stein said Reyes is not the only member of the House Intelligence Committee that he has interviewed that lacked what he considered basic knowledge about terrorist organizations.

"It kind of disgusts you, because these guys are supposed to be tending your knitting," Stein said. "Most people are rightfully appalled."

Pelosi picked Reyes over fellow Californian Rep. Jane Harman, who had been the Intelligence Committee's ranking member, and Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida, who had been impeached as a federal judge after being accused of taking a bribe.

Calls from CNN to Reyes' office asking for reaction to Stein's column have not been returned.

Full story from CQ

--CNN.com Senior Political Producer Scott Anderson

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-05-2009 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yawn Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Very boring Mr Madd (LOL)
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Stein is correct in his statement that Al Qaeda, being the creation of Saudi Arabians, is a Sunni organization.

So why are his friends in the Likud party always trying to create false links between Al Qaeda and the Shiites who rule Iran?

BTW, why did Stein feel the need to mention Reyes' Vietnam War service?

Why do these gutless fucking CHICKENSHIT CHICKENHAWKS always shit on the Vietnam Vets? Whether it's John McCain, or John Kerry, or Max Cleland, or now Reyes, whom none of them probably even heard of until last week.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, stick up for him frod.

He's one of your guys!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

HEY!

GIVE ME 165,000 FUCKING DOLLARS AND I WILL KNOW EVERY LAST NAME OF EVERY FUCKING ASSHAT IN EVERY FUCKING SHIT-HOLE IN IRAQ!!!!!

See? Just underscores the fact that you have bumbling idiots in any group of people.

This shit-for-brains idiot is going to oversee WHAT???

Motherfucker better cram a college course on current Middle -Eastern and Global Geo-politics up his fucking ass, while doing a detailed study on the financial aspects of all ops in the Middle East (including current status on all active INTEL and COINTELPRO ops), as well as detailed studies on NORTH FUCKING KOREA, RED_COMMIE FUCKING CHINA, CUBA, THE ENTIRE FUCKING AFRICAN CONTINENT, etc. etc. and fucking....ETCETERA!!!!

ignorant fucker.....

I think anyone who gets appointed to any high position like that must be able to pass a fucking heavy-ass EXAM to PROVE THEY ARE FUCKING WORTHY FOR THE FUCKING JOB!!!

and rant here.....

I feel a little better having said that, but with an ignorant bureaucrat running that part of our government, I actually do not feel better at all....
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 12-11-2006 at 11:43 PM.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks Hardrock for calling a spade a spade.

I can't give you 5 more stars though!

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD

Why do these gutless fucking CHICKENSHIT CHICKENHAWKS always shit on the Vietnam Vets?
    Maybe because it is their right.

No, they didn't serve.

You didn't either.

So Shut the fuck up.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by katie
    Yawn Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Very boring Mr Madd (LOL)
    Boring? You find someone that's going to be in charge of a nation's intel security and can't identify Al Qaeda boring?

I believe that after 9-11 its a travesty and that with dullards like that in charge they will attack again.

What do you know about boring anyways? You cling to Russ Halfin's blog like its the Holy Bible of Truth.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Re: Who Saw THIS Coming????

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    CQ HOMELAND SECURITY – SpyTalk
    Dec. 8, 2006 – 7:43 p.m.
    Democrats’ New Intelligence Chairman Needs a Crash Course on al Qaeda....

This is like asking a candidate for the commish of MLB what's the difference between the American and National leagues!!!

Um dude, you voted for Bush! LMFAO!!

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Um, and you're still an idiot!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That was a zinger!!

When Katie gives you your balls back, maybe you can come up with something funnier?

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Who Saw THIS Coming????

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

You mental midget, gw was even MORE ignorant, and he started the war!!!

This guy is just trying to deal with the mess!

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by BigBadBrian

No, they didn't serve.

You didn't either.

So Shut the fuck up.

Good ol repub values. Anything that is not expressly illegal is just fine. No moral implications at all. Unless they read some 1000 year old fairy tale somewhere forbidding them from something. Then it's off limits for everyone!

You and your cadre's values are rotten to the core. You all proved it when you turned about face once you lost the legislature.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ODShowtime
    Good ol repub values. Anything that is not expressly illegal is just fine. No moral implications at all. Unless they read some 1000 year old fairy tale somewhere forbidding them from something. Then it's off limits for everyone!

You and your cadre's values are rotten to the core. You all proved it when you turned about face once you lost the legislature.

You crack me up.

"Turned about face?" What in the sam hell is that supposed to mean?

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You crack me up.

"Turned about face?" What in the sam hell is that supposed to mean?
    how all of a sudden the Iraq war strategy isn't working. It's pathetic watching the suits fall in line as soon as they lost congress. That's what happens when you create your own reality. You can just shift it out for a new one when you are FORCED to by the will of the people.

I mean, they canned rumsfeld the day after the election? That is so goddamn tacky.

The situation was just as dire the day before and the day after. If repubs would have won more elections, the situation would be exactly the same, but the politics would be completely different.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

how all of a sudden the Iraq war strategy isn't working. It's pathetic watching the suits fall in line as soon as they lost congress. That's what happens when you create your own reality. You can just shift it out for a new one when you are FORCED to by the will of the people.

I mean, they canned rumsfeld the day after the election? That is so goddamn tacky.

The situation was just as dire the day before and the day after. If repubs would have won more elections, the situation would be exactly the same, but the politics would be completely different.
    Pay attention, OD!! You obviously have a short memory.

I don't think you have a single conservative in this forum who has approved of or defended Rumsfeld's policy on Iraq other than the intitial invasion. His handling of "the peace" has been deplorable and we have said so all along. I think the same goes for alot of Republican lawmakers. We'll leave the inflexible attitudes and opinions for you lost liberals.

BTW - I think Rumsfeld was going to step down, no matter what the results of the election were.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think you have a single conservative in this forum who has approved of or defended Rumsfeld's policy on Iraq other than the intitial invasion. His handling of "the peace" has been deplorable and we have said so all along. I think the same goes for alot of Republican lawmakers. We'll leave the inflexible attitudes and opinions for you lost liberals.

BTW - I think Rumsfeld was going to step down, no matter what the results of the election were.

you pay attention! my point wasn't about rummy, he was just an example. I know you've put him down repeatedly in this forum.

So, here we are and you still haven't refuted my point.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

you pay attention! my point wasn't about rummy, he was just an example. I know you've put him down repeatedly in this forum.

So, here we are and you still haven't refuted my point.
    OK, OD, peace, peace, peace...I'm not the enemy.

I mentioned Rummy as an example because you did.

I'm too tired to argue. I'm done for the night.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

OK, OD, peace, peace, peace...I'm not the enemy.

I mentioned Rummy as an example because you did.

I'm too tired to argue. I'm done for the night.

2 rounds is all you got, huh?

Man I had to work today. It SUCKED.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, they didn't serve.

You didn't either.

So Shut the #### up.

What's also funny is that you've claimed to have "served," yet you don't seem to know the first thing about VA healthcare?

Fascinating...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually, Dr.AnusVibe has on multiple occasions, even blaming "the generals" for Rummy's fuck ups.

And you in fact have a post where you borderline defend Dumsfled by heralding what genius of foresight he has regarding terrorism, even though it was the wrong kind of terrorism (leftist violence supported by the then USSR) back in the 1980s.

But I guess you have a short memory too, huh boopsy?

BTW, what do you think of Rummy "coming out" and now agreeing with many of John Murtha's points? (basically saying that it's the as$hole pResident's fault that we can't "change course," not his.)
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-08-2007 at 06:22 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Thread Information