Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 04:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

New guitar?

Hey dudes,

I want to buy a new guitar in the next 6 months (I'm getting tired of this Squire Strat). The Squire is NEVER in tune for more than 5 minutes. My guitar teacher also thinks that I could be ready for one in 2-3 months. Plus, the Squire is just single coils which don't sound really cool at all. Palm mutes sound like a joke on this guitar. Also, strings buzz a lot on it as well. The guitar is "fine", just very cheap. It's lasted me 3 months of lessons and a few years of collecting dust, so I think it's been used. I plan on still keeping the Strat as a backup, however. Actually, it was a VERY expensive guitar, since the stuff that came with it was absolutely worthless.

You guys pretty much know what kinds of music I want to be able to play one of these days. Can you guys recommend a fairly affordable (around 400-800) guitar? Cool design? Nice pickups? Etc...

500 is the sweet spot.

I also want to know if I should upgrade amps (although I just got a Fender 15-r).

Also, please don't recommend any "Signature series" guitars.

I don't want people to associate me with having the guitar of Dimebag, Zakk, or Mustaine. It's really lame and I always laugh when I see guys who think that they are badass with Dime's guitar (which is seriously overpriced anyway). If possible, I'd also like a 24 fretter.
    Last edited by MERRYKISSMASS2U; 12-19-2006 at 04:11 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

please help!

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Only YOU can pick out what YOU like.

It has to feel right in your hands, and it has to sound right to your ears.

I'd say get the amp upgrade first though and have a luthier take a look at why your guitar can't stay in tune.

Squire is an introduction model for Fender and they can put a good product out there. Don't believe all the hype about a name. Gibson, Fender and Gretch can put a clunker out there on the street too!

Look around town for a more "upscale" store. One that cherry picks from EVERYTHING and isn't locked into one or two name brands.

Make sure you have whatever you go with in your hands before you buy. Don't get caught up in an eBay bid if you don't know the guitar well.

If you're keeping the Squire...throw some new pickups into it, and maybe a new bridge. That might be all it needs to sing again.

Have fun with the journey!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, but the problem is is that I really can't play shit to test anything out!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What do you guys think about this one?

http://www.music123.com/ESP-Michael-...2-3b9dc41c005d

I have always loved Michael Amott's sound, even though he always ends up with cookie monster vocalists.

Or this? http://www.musician.com/product/ESP-...80&src=GWFRWXX

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Or this... lol

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...KVBK&ovtac=CMP

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2900014
    Cheap as hell, whatcha think?

Could someone at least point me in a brand/pickup type direction? Clueless and desperate over here!
    Last edited by MERRYKISSMASS2U; 12-20-2006 at 05:54 PM.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Bro, I know you're starting out. Thats the main reason why I referred you to the Digitech RP200 pedal. It will do a lot of things and keep you motivated to play(including a drum machine).

As far as guitars go, only you know what feels right, what sounds right and what you can afford.

Personally, I'd go for the amp upgrade before I'd get another guitar.

I saw Chi-Chi Rodriguez (yeah, he's a golfer and doesn't play guitar...hear me out.) on tv once and his caddy went to his pro trailer and they hooked up this guy with professional clubs set up for him. Chi-Chi goes to a yard sale and buys a bag of mixed clubs. The only thing he does is have them regripped. He even played with an old ball that he found in the bag and kicked his caddy's ass!

Is it the equipment? Partly. The bulk is the individual. If you don't devote enough time to playing you're just chasing the "holy grail" and you'll never find it. Get proficient at playing what you've got. If you can't play a song then you need more time playing and less time shopping.

One thing that helped me early on is to learn songs in 3's. Have one song that's easy, but you can play it well. The next song...you have the major parts own, but you're working on timing or the exta stuff. The 3rd song,make it a hard one. One that you like but one that has enough challenges to make you want to learn it. You work on 3 songs, then 6. Then 9. The 12. Then find a bassist and a drummer to play with.

Good luck with your journey, but it rests on your shoulders...alone.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-13-2009 @ 04:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm the only one in my house that doesn't play an instrument. So, I've learned a LOT about what "works" from being with my men and their friends.

MaddVibe is right. Don't follow a crowd. Go to a guitar store and fiddle around with many different ones and choose the one that feels best to you. Don't think about the asthetics of the guitar, just how it feels in your hands and your fingers.

My son's guitar instructor started him out on a Schecter because of the ease of playing it. He told us that from the manufacturer Schecter gives the starting player options that sometimes have to be made by a professional set up. The strings are lower to the neck and made of quality materials that keep the moving parts tight. But the Schecter didn't work for my son. What worked was a $199 Squire that came in a pack. NO SHIT. Out of the 7 guitars in this house, it's still the one that he depends on when he's playing. Whereas his best friend LOVES his Schecter and won't play anything else.

It just depends on what YOU like. And if you're hell bent on having another guitar....shop in person. Not on line.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

put your money towards a good amp. you can change out the tuners on your guitar very easily. Also you can change your pickup. check out the dimarzio super distortion model that is a single coil. It is stacked, and it sounds like a humbucker. I have one in my tele.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I've been cuntsidering one of these. I've never owned a Les Paul, and the studio humbucking version wouldn't fit my lifestyle. I'm not sure if it's even a Les Paul (the melody maker)...you could always slap some Grovers on it, and ask Les Paul what his name is. When He goes, "It's on your guitar!", go "Nice to meet ya Mr. Gibson, I've got splinters in my fingers!"

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Originally posted by Ellyllions
    fiddle around...feels best...how it feels in your hands and your fingers.
    Dammit. Those are the only phrases that stood out in your post. I think you are sending us subliminal naughtyness. I LIKE IT.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, thanks for the advice.

I probably won't be looking for a guitar for another 6-12 months.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2020 @ 12:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Keep practicing because, from what I've read, it sounds like you have a pretty good instructor.

You can get something much better than decent that will sound good, play good and look good for $500.00. If you are talking new guitars........ I've had best luck with Epiphone Les Paul's, Explorer's, V's and SG's. The LP's and Explorers definitely have really good thick tone. Take a look at these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=101724243

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...70%2e171%2e284

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...u=518325%2e001

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=101464113

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...ull_sku=518422

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro...ull_sku=518234

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=100326985

or.......... You can get something even better than that used in a Pawn Shop, at your local Guitar Center (Guitarget lol.) or even on ebay. A friend of mine picked up a used B.C. Rich Mockingbird with a thru neck from ebay. I think he paid less than $500 for it including shipping. It plays and sounds very much like a Gibson Les Paul. Take your time and stick your ground on your cost.

A good amp will help too. You are looking to play hard rock/metal so you should have no problem finding a decent amp for between $300-$700. Especially in the upper register of that price range. Don't rule out a used solid state combo amp but definitely try to get something tube. Peavey makes some tube amps nowadays that sound pretty decent. I had a solid state Peavey Renown years ago and it was really versitile. Played everything from Megadeth to U2 to VH to The Outfield with the Renown. It didn't have the total tube sound by any means but it did the job live and at home. Peavey makes much better stuff now.

Once you know you are going to be playing either at home or live or whatever for the rest of your life......... and you want to have great tone and control at all times........ That's when you should just go out and buy the stuff that will last a lifetime and always stay and play great.

Hope that helps.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

JACKSON RHOADS V

Crazy white mofo!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2009 @ 06:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Since you're going for the Jackson King V model (Obviously fueled by your love of Megadeth, no offense), I'd suggest this one: http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode=

It's got most of the stuff you need, and for added fun, it's got a Floyd Rose system on it

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by mako_kimura
    Since you're going for the Jackson King V model (Obviously fueled by your love of Megadeth, no offense), I'd suggest this one: http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode=

It's got most of the stuff you need, and for added fun, it's got a Floyd Rose system on it
    Actually, I have always really loved Vs before my love of MD.

They're just really sweet. Thank you all for your awesome advice.

They Thought I Was Dead
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-13-2012 @ 01:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    go to the local music store and play them and you will find a good one, just dont order a guitar online without playing it. You can risk buying an amp online, but i think a guitar should definately be played first.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

In my opinion, stay away from the Flying V guitar... they're very weird to play sitting down... and not that much better standing up. It may be a semi-unpopular choice around here, but the Wolfgang guitars are amazing. The neck is one of the fastest I've ever played... the bridge is solid as a rock and stays in tune 100% of the time. If you're looking to get away from that POS strat - something like a Wolfie is the way to go. I'd stay away from Les Pauls as well - it's like strapping a brick around your neck. I wouldn't sweat the 24 fret thing too much - just bend at 22 You can pick up an Export model Wolfie on eBay for between 500-750.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by sammysucks65
    go to the local music store and play them and you will find a good one, just dont order a guitar online without playing it. You can risk buying an amp online, but i think a guitar should definately be played first.
    I'm glad you brought that up. I can't even play enough to really test out the guitar.

Bottom line .... I'm completely not ready. I'm going to wait another 6-12 months. I don't want to rush into anything stupid and buy something whilst being completely inexperienced.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    06-11-2007 @ 07:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
    I'm glad you brought that up. I can't even play enough to really test out the guitar.

Bottom line .... I'm completely not ready. I'm going to wait another 6-12 months. I don't want to rush into anything stupid and buy something whilst being completely inexperienced.
    Smart.. Very Smart..

KiD

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Go to a LOT of music stores...

Play EVERY guitar you can get your hands on.....

You'll find the one for you.............................

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by The_KiD
    Smart.. Very Smart..

KiD
    Thanks. Even though I don't know my instrument very well yet, I do know enough to know that looks are not everything that's valuable in a guitar. I want to make a good decision, preferably with my instructor present. He actually recommended me an Epiphone; he said that they are nice quality, inexpensive, and look pretty cool too.

Elite shredoholic
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2021 @ 11:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
    I want to make a good decision, preferably with my instructor present. He actually recommended me an Epiphone; he said that they are nice quality, inexpensive, and look pretty cool too.
    Get a new instructor!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Take up gardening...

Thread Information