@
    Status

2007 Baseball HoF story re: steroids

Found this interesting.

Writer who turned in blank ballot says it's not a sign of disrespect

By Tim Sullivan
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 7, 2007

Paul Ladewski is likely to make some enemies this week. Maybe millions of them.

In signing his Hall of Fame ballot without checking the name of a single candidate, the Chicago sportswriter has ensured that neither Tony Gwynn nor Cal Ripken Jr. can be elected unanimously.

“I sent in a blank ballot,” Ladewski confirmed in a telephone interview Thursday. “I didn't vote for anybody. It's nothing personal against Tony Gwynn or Cal Ripken Jr., who have numbers that speak for themselves. ... (But) to me, the steroid era is not worthy of my vote. Anyone who played in that era makes me reluctant to jump on bandwagons.”

Ladewski, a columnist for the Daily Southtown who acknowledges he may be a “dinosaur,” announced his steroid stance in a column published Aug. 4, 2005, and he has yet to redraw his relatively hard line. In separate polls by The San Diego Union-Tribune and Baltimore Sun, Ladewski was the only eligible voter to acknowledge opposition to either Gwynn or Ripken.

“I'm somewhat surprised to hear that,” Ladewski said.

It may be some time before he hears the end of it.

Over seven decades, no ballplayer has been able to attain unanimity in the the Baseball Writers' Association of America's Hall of Fame vote, but Gwynn and Ripken figure to get close.

Should Ladewski prove the lone holdout in the final tally, or if he is one of a handful, Gwynn and/or Ripken could surpass Tom Seaver's record 1992 vote percentage of 98.8 percent. Though there is no formal status associated with a landslide election – a 75 percent Hall of Famer is accorded the same amount of wall space as a 95 percent Hall of Famer – baseball is a game inextricably bound to its statistics.

“I asked Rod Carew a couple of years ago if it is any less of a good feeling when you get 92 percent or 90 percent,” Gwynn said. “He said, 'No.' I just want to get in.”

Though his modest power and problem physique make him the least likely of steroid suspects, Gwynn said he has been resigned to losing some votes as a political statement about baseball's performance-enhanced past. He was disinclined to lobby Ladewski for a change of heart.

“I want him to vote his conscience,” Gwynn said. “I want him to vote how he feels. I don't want anybody trying to sing my praises. If he feels like I'm worthy enough, then hey. ... If he doesn't, for whatever reason, then don't.”

When advised of Gwynn's reaction, Ladewski expressed relief.

“I think that says a lot for Tony,” he said. “I can't say I've known him well, but I appreciate his support and his understanding in this matter. In no way is this an anti-Tony Gwynn vote.”

The vote, Ladewski said, is about upholding the Hall of Fame's standards. He has been a member of the baseball writers association since 1984, but a baseball fan since the 1950s.

“I'm not the kind of person who will rant and rave,” Ladewski said. “(But) I want to make a conscientious vote on this. I don't want to go in half-cocked. I'd rather vote for someone one year too late than one year too early.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...7blankbal.html

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    this guy should have his vote stripped.

he's doing this for 1 reason: to draw attention to himself. congratulations, jackass. you've done it.

if this guy was absolutely sincere, he'd start lobbying to close down the hall of fame, as we will never, ever again be 100% certain that people aren't using some sort of cheating.

though, i wonder if he was turning in blank ballots in 1986, when people during the amphetemines era were being elected to the hall. you know, doing illegal, performance-enhancing drugs.

then again, there was no public outcry at the time, so, rather than taking an actual principled stand, he continued to simply look out for himself.

this guy has no business being involved with the game of baseball.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by knuckleboner
    this guy should have his vote stripped.

he's doing this for 1 reason: to draw attention to himself. congratulations, jackass. you've done it.

While we'll never be 100% sure of this, I agree with your assessment completely.

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: 2007 Baseball HoF story re: steroids

Originally posted by sadaist

Paul Ladewski is likely to make some enemies this week. Maybe millions of them.

In signing his Hall of Fame ballot without checking the name of a single candidate, the Chicago sportswriter has ensured that neither Tony Gwynn nor Cal Ripken Jr. can be elected unanimously.

“I sent in a blank ballot,” Ladewski confirmed in a telephone interview Thursday. “I didn't vote for anybody. It's nothing personal against Tony Gwynn or Cal Ripken Jr., who have numbers that speak for themselves. ... (But) to me, the steroid era is not worthy of my vote. Anyone who played in that era makes me reluctant to jump on bandwagons.”
    “I'm somewhat surprised to hear that,” Ladewski said.

What an ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show me ONE thing Cal Ripken did to tarnish his good name or MLBaseball.

YOU CAN'T YOU JERK!!!!

Cal Ripken gave more to baseball than he ever took. Screw you pal!!!!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P85INTg4xvQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P85INTg4xvQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Last edited by VanHalener; 01-10-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, this guy's all screwed up. It's one thing not to vote for McGuire, I hear he only got like 30% of the votes. It's another thing not to vote for Ripken and Gywnn. Closest Gywnn ever came to a steriod is a twinkee. As for Ripken, I remember him doing an interview several years back. He was talking about his off-season workouts/weightlifting. He said he always kept it light because he never forgot that he was a "baseball" player. 2 class guys!
    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Thread Information