Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Super Bowl Thread

A classic match-up.

Offense versus defense.

Peyton's crowning moment or the Monsters of the Midway again.

Gotta love Super Sunday.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

And 2 African-American Head Coaches.

Should be a good game.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

While I certainly believe the Bears can win, the Colts have beat some pretty good teams to get to the game.

I like the Colts.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh, and Colts by 10

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, those two and Herm Edwards are tight, all had dinner together during the playoffs.

It will be a long two weeks.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Should be a good game.

Why does race have to be a factor? Why not just say 2 excellent head coaches?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by sadaist
    Because it's history making.

That's why.

Don't make a thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the first time, no?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

XLI could be milestone for black coaches

By Jerry Magee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Many, many headlines.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Ask the NFL. It's gonna be some LOL shit when Prince brings out My Chemical Romance during halftime.

Go ahead and fill in the punch line.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by rustoffa
    Ask the NFL. It's gonna be some LOL shit when Prince brings out My Chemical Romance during halftime.

Go ahead and fill in the punch line.

I'm just praying there's no "wardrobe malfunctions"

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How They Got There

Bears 39 Saints 14

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

January 21, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Bears know how to make a Super Bowl memorable. They're making this one historic long before it's played.

Dissed all season long, Rex Grossman and Co. are heading to the big game for the first time since 1985 after rolling over the New Orleans Saints 39-14 Sunday, and Da Coach leading them there makes it all the more special.

Lovie Smith became the first black head coach to reach the NFL's marquee game in its 41-year history and roughly four hours later, his good pal and mentor Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts joined him.

"I'll feel even better to be the first black coach to hold up the world championship trophy," Smith said after the Bears won the NFC championship.

This isn't the wild bunch, led by coach Mike Ditka and quarterbacked by Jim McMahon, that paraded down Bourbon Street, then routed New England for the championship 21 years ago. Its defense isn't overpowering, its quarterback isn't a renegade, its reputation isn't celebrated.

This team, despite its impressive record, was maligned all season and never possessed the overpowering aura of Ditka's gang.

Still, Smith's team did it in true Bears fashion, with big plays on defense and a steady running game in the sleet and snow, ending the Saints' uplifting saga.

The Bears (15-3) will play the Colts (15-4) in Miami in two weeks. Indianapolis beat New England 38-34 for the AFC title.

"I am really into the great tradition we have with the Chicago Bears," Smith said. "I am just trying to get our football team up to that same standard Mike had his team at, especially that '85 team."

Added All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher: "For our franchise, this is big. They are a big part of this city, and what they did in '85 is huge. We have an opportunity to do that right now. We're excited to have the opportunity to kind of put the ('85) guys in the background for a little while."

All the worries about how genuine the Bears' outstanding season was disappeared thanks to running back Thomas Jones, All-Pro kicker Robbie Gould and a defense that, while not dominant, made enough decisive plays.

"I hate watching TV," defensive end Adewale Ogunleye said, "but when you see everyone picking the Saints, the thing is we won 14 games, now 15, by playing sound defense and we have been doing a good job all season. We know they are coming in as a No. 1 offense and we stepped up to the plate."

For a moment, though, in the third quarter they seemed to be in trouble.

Reggie Bush's electrifying 88-yard touchdown catch and dash to the end zone pulled the Saints within two points, 16-14. But from then on, Urlacher and the Bears' defense took over.

Chicago, which has won nine NFL titles but has been an also-ran for much of the last two decades, later went 85 yards in five plays in the worst of the weather. The oft-criticized Grossman had four completions, including a 33-yarder to a diving Bernard Berrian that clinched it, sending the bundled-up fans in Soldier Field into foot-stomping hysteria and chants of "Super Bowl, Super Bowl."

"We had a great game today," said Grossman, who was 11-for-26 for 144 yards, but made no mistakes. "This is great and all, but we have one game to go."

Jones had all 69 yards on an eight-play ground drive in the second quarter, scored twice and rushed for 123 yards. Gould nailed three field goals.

The Bears, who led the league with 44 takeaways, forced four turnovers, and when NFC passing leader Drew Brees fumbled less than a minute after Berrian's TD, whatever karma the Saints (11-7) carried this season disappeared.

"We talked a lot about getting back to what we do and that's getting takeaways," Smith said.

Cedric Benson then scored on a 12-yard run, and from there it was a matter of searching for the sunscreen.

Smith and Bears owner Virginia McCaskey, daughter of Bears founder George Halas, accepted the Halas Trophy moments after Grossman tossed the ball deep into the stands after the final kneel-down.

"This is why we play the game, to get to the Super Bowl and win," Urlacher said. "This overshadows everything."

It was a bitter, sloppy conclusion to the Saints' remarkable turnaround from a nomadic 3-13 season in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina's destruction to this winning season. As their city rebuilds, the team has provided an inspiring respite in the recovery story.

This was the first trip this far into the playoffs for the 40-year-old franchise, previously best known as the Aints, whose fans wore paper bags on their heads because the team was so bad.

"Just to be able to turn this organization around a bit from where it was last year is saying a lot," Bush said. "We don't need to hang our heads about anything. ... We need to use this as motivation to come back and get to this point again next year and, hopefully, get to the Super Bowl."

Down 16-0 and throttled for 28 minutes, the Saints awakened late in the first half on a 29-yard third-down completion to Marques Colston, who previously had several drops and several more slips. Brees threw a pair of sideline darts and Colston beat Charles Tillman for a 13-yard TD that temporarily changed the flow with 46 seconds remaining in the half.

It took New Orleans only 2:40 into the third quarter to make it 16-14 on Bush's spectacular 88-yard touchdown that ended with a couple of bush moves. The rookie beat Chris Harris off the line, ignored the sleet and extended for Brees' looping pass. Then he sped down the left sideline and, at midfield, used one of those Heisman jukes past Danieal Manning.

As Bush neared the end zone, he turned and pointed tauntingly at the hopelessly trailing Urlacher before somersaulting into the end zone.

"I apologized to (coach Sean Payton) about that," Bush said. "Obviously, I know I made a mistake, but I'm not going to kill myself over it. ... You move on."

That hot-dogging wasn't close to Brees' mistake in the end zone. Under pressure but still in the pocket, he threw the ball away, causing a safety.

That erased any momentum for the Saints, and Chicago scored on Berrian's brilliant catch at the 2; he was not tackled down and stood up to cross the goal line.

A Chicago blitz stymied New Orleans' opening drive. After Devery Henderson outfought Tillman for a 40-yard pass to the Bears' 32, an all-out rush on third down led to a sack by Israel Idonije and a Saints punt into the end zone.

It set a first-half trend.

Another sack, by rookie Mark Anderson, Chicago's top pass rusher this season, was even more embarrassing to the Saints. Brees lost the ball and a Keystone Kops chase for it wound up in a 25-yard loss when rookie guard Jahri Evans recovered.

But Chicago's offense went nowhere.

So the defense got things started. Harris stripped the ball from Colston and Tillman returned it to the Saints' 36. After getting their initial first down on a 16-yard reverse by Rashied Davis, the Bears gambled on fourth-and-1 at the 4 and Benson converted.

But all they got was Gould's 19-yard field goal.

New Orleans remained charitable, and Adrian Peterson stripped kickoff returner Michael Lewis at the Saints' 30. Sean Payton lost a video challenge, and Gould hit from 43.

The sloppy footing was an issue all during the game, particularly once the cold rain, followed by sleet and snow, began falling. Runners, receivers and returners kept slipping and areas of the turf were gashed by halftime.

Gould's 24-yarder made it 9-0 and Jones had his personal touchdown drive, with his 33-yard run the Bears' longest all season.

Jones capped the ground march with a 2-yard run for a 16-0 lead. He also scored from 15 yards in the fourth quarter.

"It couldn't have been a more perfect situation for Chicago Bears football," Jones said. "Just perfect."

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Colts 38 Patriots 34

By EDDIE PELLS, AP National Writer

January 21, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A comeback, a drive, a legacy. And yes -- finally -- Peyton Manning gets his Super Bowl trip, too.

Football's most prolific quarterback put on a show for the ages Sunday, rallying the Indianapolis Colts from 18 points down and driving them 80 yards for the winning score in a wildly entertaining 38-34 victory over the New England Patriots.

In his nine years in the league, Manning has never played in a game like this AFC championship contest. He threw for 349 yards and one touchdown and brought his team back from a 21-3 deficit.

Joseph Addai capped Manning's late drive with the winning score, a 3-yard run with 1 minute left to help the Colts (15-4) complete the rally and send coach Tony Dungy to his first Super Bowl -- and a very special one.

Dungy and the Colts will face the Chicago Bears and his good friend Lovie Smith in Miami in two weeks. Together they are the first black coaches to make the Super Bowl in its 41 years.

After Indy's last touchdown, Manning was on the sideline, his head down -- he couldn't bear to watch. New England's Tom Brady -- he of the three Super Bowl rings -- threw an interception to Marlin Jackson and the RCA Dome crowd went wild. One kneel down later and Manning ripped off his helmet to celebrate.

Not only was it a win for Manning, the All-Pro, All-Everything son of Archie, it was a riveting, back-and-forth showcase of two of the NFL's best teams, best quarterbacks, and yet another example of why football is America's favorite sport.

It was anything but by-the-book, and that started becoming obvious when New England left guard Logan Mankins opened the scoring by pouncing on a fumbled handoff between Brady and Laurence Maroney that squirted into the Indy end zone midway through the first quarter.

It got worse from there for Manning, who telegraphed a throw to the sideline that Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel snatched and took 39 yards into the end zone for a 21-3 lead.

From there, the gameplan changed because it had to, and the game morphed from another Manning meltdown into something much more than that.

He led the Colts on an 80-yard drive late in the first half for a field goal to make it 21-6. In the third quarter, he was at his cruel best, dissecting an exhausted Patriots defense for a pair of long drives and scores.

The first came on a 1-yard quarterback sneak. The second was capped by a 1-yard pass to Dan Klecko, a defensive tackle who came in as a supposed decoy at the goal line. A circus catch by Marvin Harrison for the 2-point conversion tied the game at 21.

aka Van Squalen
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-18-2009 @ 09:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks

\"Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are the first African-American coaches to reach the Super Bowl. Therefore, this is also the first Super Bowl to feature two African-American coaches, and the first game that an African-American head coach will coach a Super Bowl team.\"

Oh dear. now they (minorities) are going to break their arms patting themselves on the back.

aka Van Squalen
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-18-2009 @ 09:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Why does race have to be a factor?
    ask the minorities. they keep bringing it up every chance they get.

Watch me fuck this up....
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-30-2013 @ 06:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I told my two boys in week 6 who was gonna be in Super Bowl XLI.
    i was right and i'm gonna be right again with the colts now here is the score colts 27 bears 16, im drunk and psychic tonight.lmao

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,
    If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,
    When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
    Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
    Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,
    Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

Don't it make you feel bad
    When you're tryin' to find your way home,
    You don't know which way to go?
    If you're goin' down South
    They got no work to do,
    If you're going down to Chicago.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
    Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
    When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

All last night sat on the levee and moaned,
    All last night sat on the levee and moaned,
    Thinkin' about my baby and my happy home.
    Going, going to Chicago.. Going to Chicago..

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Joe Blunder can STFU now about black coaches.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Sammy Who??
    ask the minorities. they keep bringing it up every chance they get.
    Lounge brought it up in the thread. Last I checked, he wasn't a minority.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2016 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

No matter what, I love the underdog role..

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm picking the Colts. I think it's finally Mannings year. Although I wish my Chargers were the ones playing the Bears.

No Bolts, so GO COLTS!

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2023 @ 06:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Keep believing the hype; it never pans out and I don't mind Chicago being the underdog. They've been disrespected and dismissed all season yet they still win. To Hell with this Manning entitlement. Noone is 'owed' a Superbowl. It has to be EARNED. Haven't we had enough of this entitlement shit with the non-stop Katrina pimpin' Saints?

Play ball, damn it! Chicago all the way!

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think he was referring to Lounge. I think he was referring to society.

"It goes to 11."
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm picking the Colts. I think it's finally Mannings year. Although I wish my Chargers were the ones playing the Bears.

No Bolts, so GO COLTS!

That horse won't run. The Bears will beat them.

"Like a rented Mule!!"

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You checked?

Really? How do you know this?

By the way mensa, have you noticed the national and international headlines about this matchup? How about the press conferences with the coaches themselves. They're proud at having this chance.

Your PC bullshit, trying to call me out for pointing to the obvious didn't work. Just made yourself look dim.

Go Colts.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

By the way mensa
    LMMFAO

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Congrats to the Bears, didn't think they had it in them....

Enjoy the two week buildup...

Colts in a blowout...

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Saints in a blowout too, lmfao

miami is outdoors..lol

2 domed stadium teams vs out door team bears.. aint gonna be any blowout.
    NE was a better team than Indy & they beat us by 3. Indy just got lucky on that non cover play caldwell
    should have looked it in instead of look to the end zone.

I prefered Indy personally.
    saints had the best offensive team all season.

hey i didnt thin the steelers had it in them last year either
    & they beat better teams too you all know it.

defense wins championships.

smoke a doobie for me guys will ya? lol
    Last edited by redblkwht; 01-23-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I cant wait for this game it should be Action packed right to the end

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If the Colts get an early lead, it could be a long day for Chicago. The Bears need to get a couple of turnovers, and have Devin Hester make a play or two to stay in it. I'll take the Colts.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

I've got $50 on the Colts by a 3-7 spread...

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't care who wins I just want to watch a good game.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So far, it is the Colts -7 ... Chicago will have to do something on offense, and you know they are going to crowd the line and make Grossman beat them.

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2012 @ 08:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think the Colts will cover. Win? Depends again on which Grossman shows up. He made several big plays vs. the saints and didn't throw the game away. Saints don't have much of a secondary though. Colts D has been impressive last month or so. I think the points will go over.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If the Colts cover, they have to win.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
    I told my two boys in week 6 who was gonna be in Super Bowl XLI.
    i was right and i'm gonna be right again with the colts now here is the score colts 27 bears 16, im drunk and psychic tonight.lmao
    Ahem not like i'm braggin but ..how fuckin close was i.
    Way to go COLTS!!! funny thing i lost my sheet i should have filled it out drunk...lol
    Last edited by Ozzy Fudd; 02-04-2007 at 10:43 PM.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone think the commercials were lame compared to 2006?

What happened to the couple getting engaged commercial..

Glad to see Dungy get his ring.

Bring Back Flappo!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by redblkwht
    Anyone think the commercials were lame compared to 2006?
    Yes. I thought the game would be a blowout in the Colts favor so I tuned in mostly to watch the commercials.

Turned out the game was entertaining and the commercials were a huge letdown.

There were no memorable ads, nothing that earned a chuckle or "hey that's cool" response.

Lame indeed.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

letterman professing his love for oprah was solid. the rest were nothing special.

and, for you gambling degenerates, the O/U was 48. (final score was 47) so if you bet it, the colts going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter, rather than kicking the gimme field goal, was either the greatest thing ever, or really, really shitty...

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2012 @ 10:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I watched this horseshit game in Oz.

This is how you showcase your football game all over the world. Fuck me!!!

It has got fuck all to do with the game anyway with all the buggering around and bullshit that goes on. I am sure the guys who invented this game would be rolling in their graves with all the GAYITY that is attached to it.

As for that Rex Grossman fella, he looked like he was a school boy try out retard. Poor bastard was so inept.

It is a pity your game is so dependant on QB's.

Both those guys SUCK and the game was one BIG SUCK

Thumbs down guys

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by quinny

Thumbs down guys
    An Aussie... calling our game lame?

Thread Information