Thread: Michael Anthony 2006 Interview...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries

Post Michael Anthony 2006 Interview...

Before you run your mouth, post an ignorant idea, or simply think just because you dreamed it up it's a matter of fact...

READ THIS!

On the VAN HALEN 2004 reunion tour:

"Well, in general the reunion tour was great because it had been since 1998 that we played as VAN HALEN anywhere and it doesn't take very long for me after we finish a tour, it only takes a matter of weeks before I'm ready to get up and play in front of people again. So in that respect it was great getting out there and playing again and you know it's like when everybody got back together again, from outward appearances everything seemed fine but we had a few bumps because old things came back up again from time to time on the road between Sammy and Eddie so it was a little bit shaky. Actually the tour didn't end with as much fanfare as I would have liked it to or hoped it would but we got through it."

On the new business arrangements within the band for the 2004 reunion:

"I was not going to just sit home and do nothing and that kind of upset the VAN HALEN brothers for whatever reason I can't understand myself. But basically when this whole reunion thing started Ed really didn't want me to be part of it. I don't know how he was going to call it a reunion (laughs) but I basically had to work out a deal with Irving Azoff's management company in order to be part of this thing. I kind of sucked it up a bit and I made less money but the way I looked at it was, if this possibly was the last tour that VAN HALEN would ever do then I'd be kicking myself because I wasn't a part of it and I want to be a part of it, even more so than the money so I sucked it all up and came on and did it. I did it for the fans."

On making the reunion happen and previous reunion attempts with David Lee Roth:

"I used to needle Sam a bit and say hey, it'd be great (getting back together). We tried to make this thing work with Roth three times and each time it was even worse than the time before. We tried to do a new album with him and his ego just wouldn't let it happen and the third time that we tried to do it with him was more like, let's see if we can just play some dates and just get along with him and he still for some reason couldn't humble himself enough to just being one of the guys again here. Sammy was out here at a relative's wedding I think staying down at the beach and he actually called Al. So Al went down and met with him and they hung out for the whole day and got along great and at that point then it was just kind of like well, 'Let's see what we can do as far as putting Sam and Ed back together.' I knew that Al wanted to get out and play again too because he basically had done nothing because the only person that he plays with is Ed. He doesn't get out and jam with anybody else. So one thing led to another and then (laughs) there was my involvement. You know, I'm the guy who kind of helped put this thing together and then Ed didn't even want me to be a part of it (laughs). I thought it was kind of funny."

And on the 2004 tour and tensions within the band:

"We got along great. Obviously, there was tension between the brothers, basically Ed and Sammy's tequila thing, because he was never happy about that, the whole Cabo Wabo thing. And a lot of these arenas that we were playing in sold Cabo Wabo and even though that really had nothing to do with Sammy because he sells to people and then the buildings, the venues buys the stuff and Sammy doesn't sell to them. So I think Ed would get a little put off when he'd see a lot of Cabo Wabo banners up around the arenas and sometimes that would even create some tension onstage and offstage. There were nights where you know you have that after the show flight on the jet and things would sometimes be a little tense on that plane and without getting into any great detail there came a point to where we actually split it up and we traveled on two different jets; Eddie and Al would fly on one jet and Sammy and I would fly on another. This was only to keep the peace and that sucks just like anything else that even turns into a big business you know, sports or anything. A lot of times you almost lose the reason in the first place of why you got into doing it you know, making music and getting laid (laughs) and it all turns into big business. It got to the point to where I couldn't even see this thing going on much longer without either somebody blowing up on somebody or whatever. So Sammy finally said, 'I'm not doing any more dates because this is just not working.' When we first started out I was fully ready to do it because I thought we were going to go to Japan, Europe, South America, you know, do the thing that we should have done, like, big band reunites but unfortunately that wasn't going to be.

"[Ed] did not want Sammy doing any promoting of his stuff at all using the VAN HALEN name but a lot of that you don't have any control over. I came out with a hot sauce about the same time we were putting the tour together and the local radio station here in Los Angeles, KLOS, they would talk about the tour and then they would talk about my hot sauce. Well the brothers caught wind of that and they thought that I had my people, as they would say 'my people,' calling the radio station and telling them to pump my hot sauce on VAN HALEN's dime here or whatever and they finally asked me to have my people 'cease and desist,' I remember that distinctly. But I didn't have a damn thing to do with that and I have no control over what the radio station said. In fact, gee isn't this one of the benefits that you're supposed to reap from all these years of success that you can be able to go off and do something like that and promote something? They went on and they (the brothers) had their lawyers call every radio station that we were going to play at in every city and told them specifically they were not to mention Cabo Tequila or my Mad Anthony's Hot Sauce in the same sentence with VAN HALEN!"

On Eddie's son Wolfgang joining the band on tour:

"Oh it was great. I think he has grown up to be a great kid. I think he's a great player and he jumped up there on the drums a few times during sound check and shit the kid can play drums too you know!"

On VAN HALEN's failure to be nominated for the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame:

"I would have thought that we would have been nominated, voted in and inducted the first year that we were eligible, which would have been like 3 years ago or something like that. But for whatever reasons they have, maybe a lot of the people that vote you in are looking at the drama that this band has gone through and figured well, they don't deserve it yet. I don't know, but that's the only thing that I can come up with. Other than that it's like I have no idea. But I tell you it would be one damn interesting show when they ask us to get together and play for the induction ceremony. I know Dave; he'll be there a week ahead of the show just waiting."

On the last time he saw David Lee Roth:

"It was when him and Sammy toured together, what is that, four years ago now? He would kind of pull his hat down and just walk by me because I tell you one of the first shows that I did with those guys I forget where we were at but I had a few drinks and I went into Dave's dressing room after the show and I just unloaded on him, on what was his problem that we could not make this reunion work? And all he kept saying was, you're right, you're right. I told him, look at them out there; when you go out there and this is the beginning of the tour and he actually impressed me at the beginning of the tour but as the tour went on boy by the last show they didn't even do the last show of the tour that I was out there because they couldn't do it; Dave just started pulling shenanigans left and right. Most nights Sammy and I would pound on his door and say come on out and numerous times invited him to come out onstage and do an encore, all three of us together but it never happened."

On recording a new album with Roth:

"We were going to do videos for the songs [on the 'Best Of Volume 1'] and everything but Roth was really trying to take control and we finally just said, let's not even do the videos for these songs because he's going to kill the whole thing and so it fell apart. But yeah, before that tour yeah, we tried to make it work. We went into the studio and it was kind of funny because we first got together in the studio and we were all in the one room together and we did 'Hot For Teacher', 'Mean Street' and a few other songs and it's the weirdest thing because once we started playing it was like, son of a bitch, there it is, that's the magic! It was like a big déjà vu because it was the original band playing again and it sounded pretty fuckin' good too! But then of course the longer we spent in the studio, you know we had two or three different producers in there trying to work with us and Dave would just come in with tapes of the CHEMICAL BROTHERS, all different kinds of weird stuff and say 'Hey, let's do a song like this,' and Ed was having a hard time dealing with him, a real hard time dealing with him and Al was saying, 'Well, let's do a couple of things that Roth likes to do and then let's just do our thing.' I don't know if we had a complete album's worth of stuff but we were pretty damn close and unfortunately, there you go with Dave again and we just couldn't finish it and all those old reasons why he left the band in the first place they started surfacing you know. He went right back to his old ways. I mean even if you just wanted to look at it purely look at it from a money standpoint that guy was hurting for money. And it was like Dave, I mean he couldn't even put his ego aside if he wanted to go out and make $50 million and you know you've got a pretty large ego when you're going to give that all up even just because you don't get your way on something. I couldn't understand it."

On those new tunes with Dave:

"For the most part it was actually pretty good. I don't think Ed would ever let it out though. I've got some demo stuff at home, they didn't even really want me to take any stuff home but I ended up with some stuff at home anyway. I'd never do anything behind the other guys' backs with any of it so it'll just sit in my box in the archives and maybe one of my grandkids or grandkid's boyfriends will put something out one day (laughs) or steal it (laughs)."

On the "Best Of Both Worlds" compilation and those three new songs:

"You know when we did the 'Best Of Both Worlds' we had problems with Roth because of what he wanted and didn't want on the CD, how much he wanted to get paid and so on. So there was a point to where we were just going to say okay Dave, if that's the way you want it, we had some live versions of some of the old VAN HALEN songs and we were just going to tell Dave, 'Okay if that's the way you want it we won't even put you on this record, you won't make a dime off it!' I mean, he was being difficult on that thing and what we wanted to do was the one disc with Sammy and the other disc with Dave plus the three new songs and Dave was even making that difficult but in the end he folded. I think he was just trying to pull a power play. Bad stuff (laughs). I knew that we weren't going to do a whole new album with Sammy on this reunion thing. The time that it was taking in the studio to do these three songs it would have taken us a couple of years to do an entire album. And like I said, once it started to get put together Irving Azoff really pushed it, speeded us along to get us out there and so it just turned out to be well, let's just do these three songs. And to tell you the truth and I'll say this for the record: I didn't play bass on any of those three songs on there. I wasn't even in the band yet when those three songs were done. I came aboard and I sang backgrounds on them but the music was already done and I wasn't even back in the band as far as the reunion part of it yet when the music was done. So that was kind of tough for me but it's like hey, it is what it is and I don't think Ed really talked about it much but if anybody asks me I'm not embarrassed to say that I didn't play bass on them because I wasn't part of the band at that point."

On the difference between Roth and Hagar:

"There was magic with both of them. Once Hagar joined the band he brought a new level of musicianship to the band and like Eddie always use to say, he could play anything that he wanted now because Sammy could sing anything. He (Sammy) definitely had a better range. When Sammy joined the band that's when I really had to start working on the backgrounds; the background vocals were a little bit more, uh, not tougher but with Dave there was never any problem singing backgrounds because he didn't have a huge range like Sammy did. I think and there was still magic with Dave too because I mean a lot that we did back then was really cutting edge from Ed's guitar playing to all these little clones that Dave spawned...they were all there because all these guys wanted to be him."

On the current status of VAN HALEN:

"Well, never say never but we're currently in a state of limbo. After the reunion tour ended so abruptly we all went into our own corners and truthfully Ed doesn't want to tour right now or maybe ever again. I don't know what he's thinking at this point. So I would say that we're on a temporary hiatus that possibly could become permanent, you never know. With that said I realize that's not much of an answer but that's really where things are right now and tomorrow it could all change again."

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks Plexi...

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

Re: Michael Anthony 2006 Interview...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ELVIS
    [B]Before you run your mouth, post an ignorant idea, or simply think just because you dreamed it up it's a matter of fact...
    READ THIS!

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Welcome back, Dave!!!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2022 @ 08:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

if these guys make it through a tour and still like eachother.....

I believe there will be a new album. what else is Ed gonna do ? he has no one else to turn to and he knows he will fail.

Dave or the Grave!!!!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

How dare those wicked, wicked radio stations and venues think about anything other than spEDCO licensed products.

It's all about ed. Always has been, always will be.

If Dave tries to be....well,......DAVE on this tour we will see it cut short faster than a GNR tour.

spED will never allow the spotlight to be shown on anything, or anybody, that doesn't have a name ending in Halen.

From personal experience.........

When a band member says it's never HIM, but all of those OTHER guys that are the problem, it's HIM.

Dave, Sammy, and MiA have much more in common than people may imagine. They all want to live in the real world, and ed wants them all living in HIS world.

I hope Dave sticks to his principles, and remains true to himself. If he cowers to spedCO, THAT will be a major disappointment to me.

Let Dave be Dave.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't care what Mike says...pimping non-musical entities like Cabo Wabo and hot sauce is lame. There is a difference.

I have never heard Ed pimp his guitar/amp/pedal shit except when asked on a Guitar Player interview or whatever.

I don't think Ed would have a problem if the interviewer asked Mike about the new amp he was using.

Just a little bit of a difference there.

If it's not about the music, it is ultra cheese.

Sounds to me that Dave wanted nothing to do with a cash grab and was doing everything possible to make sure a new album was as good as any previous CVH offering.

Mike is part of the problem in that he wants to settle for mediocrity. He says it himself in this interview when he is astonished that Dave couldn't settle for anything less than a real collaboration. Dave walked when his input was disregarded and gave up 50 million!!!

How many of us have that much integrity?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ELVIS, go fuck yourself.

Oh and.....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Thanks for the re-post. I was too lazy to go look for this again. It's rather enlightening, don't you think? It's funny, I agree with some of MA's points, but Lounge and DF's posts seem dead-on as well.

Van Halen may well be the most dysfunctional band in history.

independent thinker
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-28-2019 @ 10:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My mouth isnt fat actually. Funny how everyone is supposed to give a shit about your opinion but you think everyone else is an idiot but you.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 07:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Before you run your mouth, post an ignorant idea, or simply think just because you dreamed it up it's a matter of fact...

READ THIS!

On the VAN HALEN 2004 reunion tour:

"Well, in general the reunion tour was great because it had been since 1998 that we played as VAN HALEN anywhere and it doesn't take very long for me after we finish a tour, it only takes a matter of weeks before I'm ready to get up and play in front of people again. So in that respect it was great getting out there and playing again and you know it's like when everybody got back together again, from outward appearances everything seemed fine but we had a few bumps because old things came back up again from time to time on the road between Sammy and Eddie so it was a little bit shaky. Actually the tour didn't end with as much fanfare as I would have liked it to or hoped it would but we got through it."

On the new business arrangements within the band for the 2004 reunion:

"I was not going to just sit home and do nothing and that kind of upset the VAN HALEN brothers for whatever reason I can't understand myself. But basically when this whole reunion thing started Ed really didn't want me to be part of it. I don't know how he was going to call it a reunion (laughs) but I basically had to work out a deal with Irving Azoff's management company in order to be part of this thing. I kind of sucked it up a bit and I made less money but the way I looked at it was, if this possibly was the last tour that VAN HALEN would ever do then I'd be kicking myself because I wasn't a part of it and I want to be a part of it, even more so than the money so I sucked it all up and came on and did it. I did it for the fans."

On making the reunion happen and previous reunion attempts with David Lee Roth:

"I used to needle Sam a bit and say hey, it'd be great (getting back together). We tried to make this thing work with Roth three times and each time it was even worse than the time before. We tried to do a new album with him and his ego just wouldn't let it happen and the third time that we tried to do it with him was more like, let's see if we can just play some dates and just get along with him and he still for some reason couldn't humble himself enough to just being one of the guys again here. Sammy was out here at a relative's wedding I think staying down at the beach and he actually called Al. So Al went down and met with him and they hung out for the whole day and got along great and at that point then it was just kind of like well, 'Let's see what we can do as far as putting Sam and Ed back together.' I knew that Al wanted to get out and play again too because he basically had done nothing because the only person that he plays with is Ed. He doesn't get out and jam with anybody else. So one thing led to another and then (laughs) there was my involvement. You know, I'm the guy who kind of helped put this thing together and then Ed didn't even want me to be a part of it (laughs). I thought it was kind of funny."

And on the 2004 tour and tensions within the band:

"We got along great. Obviously, there was tension between the brothers, basically Ed and Sammy's tequila thing, because he was never happy about that, the whole Cabo Wabo thing. And a lot of these arenas that we were playing in sold Cabo Wabo and even though that really had nothing to do with Sammy because he sells to people and then the buildings, the venues buys the stuff and Sammy doesn't sell to them. So I think Ed would get a little put off when he'd see a lot of Cabo Wabo banners up around the arenas and sometimes that would even create some tension onstage and offstage. There were nights where you know you have that after the show flight on the jet and things would sometimes be a little tense on that plane and without getting into any great detail there came a point to where we actually split it up and we traveled on two different jets; Eddie and Al would fly on one jet and Sammy and I would fly on another. This was only to keep the peace and that sucks just like anything else that even turns into a big business you know, sports or anything. A lot of times you almost lose the reason in the first place of why you got into doing it you know, making music and getting laid (laughs) and it all turns into big business. It got to the point to where I couldn't even see this thing going on much longer without either somebody blowing up on somebody or whatever. So Sammy finally said, 'I'm not doing any more dates because this is just not working.' When we first started out I was fully ready to do it because I thought we were going to go to Japan, Europe, South America, you know, do the thing that we should have done, like, big band reunites but unfortunately that wasn't going to be.

"[Ed] did not want Sammy doing any promoting of his stuff at all using the VAN HALEN name but a lot of that you don't have any control over. I came out with a hot sauce about the same time we were putting the tour together and the local radio station here in Los Angeles, KLOS, they would talk about the tour and then they would talk about my hot sauce. Well the brothers caught wind of that and they thought that I had my people, as they would say 'my people,' calling the radio station and telling them to pump my hot sauce on VAN HALEN's dime here or whatever and they finally asked me to have my people 'cease and desist,' I remember that distinctly. But I didn't have a damn thing to do with that and I have no control over what the radio station said. In fact, gee isn't this one of the benefits that you're supposed to reap from all these years of success that you can be able to go off and do something like that and promote something? They went on and they (the brothers) had their lawyers call every radio station that we were going to play at in every city and told them specifically they were not to mention Cabo Tequila or my Mad Anthony's Hot Sauce in the same sentence with VAN HALEN!"

On Eddie's son Wolfgang joining the band on tour:

"Oh it was great. I think he has grown up to be a great kid. I think he's a great player and he jumped up there on the drums a few times during sound check and shit the kid can play drums too you know!"

On VAN HALEN's failure to be nominated for the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame:

"I would have thought that we would have been nominated, voted in and inducted the first year that we were eligible, which would have been like 3 years ago or something like that. But for whatever reasons they have, maybe a lot of the people that vote you in are looking at the drama that this band has gone through and figured well, they don't deserve it yet. I don't know, but that's the only thing that I can come up with. Other than that it's like I have no idea. But I tell you it would be one damn interesting show when they ask us to get together and play for the induction ceremony. I know Dave; he'll be there a week ahead of the show just waiting."

"It was when him and Sammy toured together, what is that, four years ago now? He would kind of pull his hat down and just walk by me because I tell you one of the first shows that I did with those guys I forget where we were at but I had a few drinks and I went into Dave's dressing room after the show and I just unloaded on him, on what was his problem that we could not make this reunion work? And all he kept saying was, you're right, you're right. I told him, look at them out there; when you go out there and this is the beginning of the tour and he actually impressed me at the beginning of the tour but as the tour went on boy by the last show they didn't even do the last show of the tour that I was out there because they couldn't do it; Dave just started pulling shenanigans left and right. Most nights Sammy and I would pound on his door and say come on out and numerous times invited him to come out onstage and do an encore, all three of us together but it never happened."

On recording a new album with Roth:

"We were going to do videos for the songs [on the 'Best Of Volume 1'] and everything but Roth was really trying to take control and we finally just said, let's not even do the videos for these songs because he's going to kill the whole thing and so it fell apart. But yeah, before that tour yeah, we tried to make it work. We went into the studio and it was kind of funny because we first got together in the studio and we were all in the one room together and we did 'Hot For Teacher', 'Mean Street' and a few other songs and it's the weirdest thing because once we started playing it was like, son of a bitch, there it is, that's the magic! It was like a big déjà vu because it was the original band playing again and it sounded pretty fuckin' good too! But then of course the longer we spent in the studio, you know we had two or three different producers in there trying to work with us and Dave would just come in with tapes of the CHEMICAL BROTHERS, all different kinds of weird stuff and say 'Hey, let's do a song like this,' and Ed was having a hard time dealing with him, a real hard time dealing with him and Al was saying, 'Well, let's do a couple of things that Roth likes to do and then let's just do our thing.' I don't know if we had a complete album's worth of stuff but we were pretty damn close and unfortunately, there you go with Dave again and we just couldn't finish it and all those old reasons why he left the band in the first place they started surfacing you know. He went right back to his old ways. I mean even if you just wanted to look at it purely look at it from a money standpoint that guy was hurting for money. And it was like Dave, I mean he couldn't even put his ego aside if he wanted to go out and make $50 million and you know you've got a pretty large ego when you're going to give that all up even just because you don't get your way on something. I couldn't understand it."

On those new tunes with Dave:

"For the most part it was actually pretty good. I don't think Ed would ever let it out though. I've got some demo stuff at home, they didn't even really want me to take any stuff home but I ended up with some stuff at home anyway. I'd never do anything behind the other guys' backs with any of it so it'll just sit in my box in the archives and maybe one of my grandkids or grandkid's boyfriends will put something out one day (laughs) or steal it (laughs)."

On the "Best Of Both Worlds" compilation and those three new songs:

"You know when we did the 'Best Of Both Worlds' we had problems with Roth because of what he wanted and didn't want on the CD, how much he wanted to get paid and so on. So there was a point to where we were just going to say okay Dave, if that's the way you want it, we had some live versions of some of the old VAN HALEN songs and we were just going to tell Dave, 'Okay if that's the way you want it we won't even put you on this record, you won't make a dime off it!' I mean, he was being difficult on that thing and what we wanted to do was the one disc with Sammy and the other disc with Dave plus the three new songs and Dave was even making that difficult but in the end he folded. I think he was just trying to pull a power play. Bad stuff (laughs). I knew that we weren't going to do a whole new album with Sammy on this reunion thing. The time that it was taking in the studio to do these three songs it would have taken us a couple of years to do an entire album. And like I said, once it started to get put together Irving Azoff really pushed it, speeded us along to get us out there and so it just turned out to be well, let's just do these three songs. And to tell you the truth and I'll say this for the record: I didn't play bass on any of those three songs on there. I wasn't even in the band yet when those three songs were done. I came aboard and I sang backgrounds on them but the music was already done and I wasn't even back in the band as far as the reunion part of it yet when the music was done. So that was kind of tough for me but it's like hey, it is what it is and I don't think Ed really talked about it much but if anybody asks me I'm not embarrassed to say that I didn't play bass on them because I wasn't part of the band at that point."

On the difference between Roth and Hagar:

"There was magic with both of them. Once Hagar joined the band he brought a new level of musicianship to the band and like Eddie always use to say, he could play anything that he wanted now because Sammy could sing anything. He (Sammy) definitely had a better range. When Sammy joined the band that's when I really had to start working on the backgrounds; the background vocals were a little bit more, uh, not tougher but with Dave there was never any problem singing backgrounds because he didn't have a huge range like Sammy did. I think and there was still magic with Dave too because I mean a lot that we did back then was really cutting edge from Ed's guitar playing to all these little clones that Dave spawned...they were all there because all these guys wanted to be him."

On the current status of VAN HALEN:

"Well, never say never but we're currently in a state of limbo. After the reunion tour ended so abruptly we all went into our own corners and truthfully Ed doesn't want to tour right now or maybe ever again. I don't know what he's thinking at this point. So I would say that we're on a temporary hiatus that possibly could become permanent, you never know. With that said I realize that's not much of an answer but that's really where things are right now and tomorrow it could all change again."

I already posted this turd last week.

Mike is just acting all neutral here cause he was stuck in limbo career wise. If we dig up some more old interviews you'll see he's Anti-Dave.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Good article, reading it a second time really shed some light on things. I don't see Anthony being a liar and appears to be the only straight shooter in the band, which is probably why he is no longer in the band. The truth hurts and in Ed's world there really is no truth, only fantasy. I am not sure who is wearing the referee stripes for this current project but they have their work cut out for them. Getting Ed through a tour alone is enough to drive a preacher to drink, much less keeping the Diamond One on board. Like I said, it is great to hear that DLR and Ed will be on stage together again and it will really wipe out anything he ever did with Fatgar. But this sounds like a script for The Towering Inferno and I would really be pissed if that asshole Hagar was at the end of the tunnel holding the fire extinguisher saying I told you so.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Well, it's enlightening.

You can tell for certain that he prefers Hagar and will always cast Sam in the most positive light he can. Seems like his pro-Dave responses are almost for the sake of propriety and not really earnest...

I read some article or another during the 2004 tour and quoted him here...

"The last chapter of Van Halen has yet to be written, and it will be written with Sammy Hagar."

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by bueno bob
    "The last chapter of Van Halen has yet to be written, and it will be written with Sammy Hagar."

Mike=idiot.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-02-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 997 Posts

So Mike didn't want Dave back in the band in 1996. 11 years ago.

Wow, you'd think no one could change their mind in 11 years, huh?

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
    Good article, reading it a second time really shed some light on things. I don't see Anthony being a liar and appears to be the only straight shooter in the band, which is probably why he is no longer in the band. The truth hurts and in Ed's world there really is no truth, only fantasy.
    I agree,he doens't seem like the type to make this stuff up. I'd like to know what all else transpired in his confrontation with Dave. Wonder what Dave's side of the story would say.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Ya know, it would not surprise me if they drafted someone else to be vocalist one of these days.

Does Chimpy have some kids? If he has any kids at least as old as Wolfie, I would be willing to bet spEd would LOVE to draft one of them to sing, so it could be kept in the family...

It is quite obvious that not only is this a cash-grab, but as Wolfie is spEd's son, he can pay Wolfie only a few dollars a week to tour, therefore keeping almost half the income for himself, with Uncle Dave and Chimpy splitting whatever is left over.

I hope Wolfie gets booed here and there on this tour, so he can see for himself how life in a famous band is not all fun & games.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Ya know, it would not surprise me if they drafted someone else to be vocalist one of these days.

Does Chimpy have some kids? If he has any kids at least as old as Wolfie, I would be willing to bet spEd would LOVE to draft one of them to sing, so it could be kept in the family...

It is quite obvious that not only is this a cash-grab, but as Wolfie is spEd's son, he can pay Wolfie only a few dollars a week to tour, therefore keeping almost half the income for himself, with Uncle Dave and Chimpy splitting whatever is left over.

I hope Wolfie gets booed here and there on this tour, so he can see for himself how life in a famous band is not all fun & games.
    Good point, never thought of the money angle. They are probably saving some serious cash to pay for The Diamond One's contract by not having Mike on board. Then again that theory might not fly either because Mike Anthony would probably due the tour for 20 bucks. I can also see an Osmond style VH after they are done using DLR.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Seems to me that Ed's ego is just as big as Daves, and when the two are together they clash and force the others to take sides.

ALex is always gonna side with Ed, so Dave been in the band puts Mike in a tight spot, which is why he prefers Sam being in, becuase Sam lets it be the Ed show....

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 486 Posts

Man, Eddie is a greedy piece of shit.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 486 Posts

[B]"There was magic with both of them. Once Hagar joined the band he brought a new level of musicianship to the band and like Eddie always use to say, he could play anything that he wanted now because Sammy could sing anything. He (Sammy) definitely had a better range. When Sammy joined the band that's when I really had to start working on the backgrounds; the background vocals were a little bit more, uh, not tougher but with Dave there was never any problem singing backgrounds because he didn't have a huge range like Sammy did.
    Fuckin' mullet-head.

It's not about Sammy's alleged range...it's about rock 'n' roll showmanship and intelligence in the lyrics, both of which Dave possessed and Sammy didn't.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2012 @ 09:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mike is just acting all neutral here cause he was stuck in limbo career wise. If we dig up some more old interviews you'll see he's Anti-Dave.
    Sounded to me like Mike blamed Dave for screwing up numereous CVH reunion attempts. He didn't sound like he was acting neutral to me. Looks like Dave screwed up a CVH reunion 3 times in the past and Eddie screwed it up now with the Mike/Wolfgang thing.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Re: Re: Michael Anthony 2006 Interview...

Originally posted by PHOENIX
    I already posted this turd last week.

Good read, none the less I will be posting this interview next week for those who missed it .

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 07:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Michael Anthony 2006 Interview...

Originally posted by diamondjimi
    Good read, none the less I will be posting this interview next week for those who missed it .
    Sure why not.

Lets analyze the fucking thing all over again next week.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Better yet...

Let's just make it up as we go along...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by PlexiBrown
    Sounded to me like Mike blamed Dave for screwing up numereous CVH reunion attempts. He didn't sound like he was acting neutral to me. Looks like Dave screwed up a CVH reunion 3 times in the past and Eddie screwed it up now with the Mike/Wolfgang thing.
    I don't believe that it was all Dave's fault.

In 1996, it certainly WASN'T. That blame can be laid upon Ray Fucking Daniels and Eddie.

in 2000-02, I'd say it was a combo of things that didn't make it get off the ground.

- Dave supposedly was unsatisfied with his end of the cut.
    - Eddie was separating with Val and had the whole cancer thing.
    - They somehow couldn't come to an agreement (Lawyers, etc.)
    - Dave then decided to do the Hagar tour in '02.
    - Sometime after that, he found out he was getting shafted on the royalties on CVH albums, which he put forward in suing the brothers in 2003 (which was dismissed).

Mike is fucking wrong to suggest it was ALL Dave's fault that reunion attempts didn't ultimately work.

Eat 'Em And Smile Bitch!!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2012 @ 07:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

"It was when him and Sammy toured together, what is that, four years ago now? He would kind of pull his hat down and just walk by me because I tell you one of the first shows that I did with those guys I forget where we were at but I had a few drinks and I went into Dave's dressing room after the show and I just unloaded on him, on what was his problem that we could not make this reunion work? And all he kept saying was, you're right, you're right."
    It's possible Mike was so waisted Dave was just nodding and saying "you're right" just to get rid of the guy. I could be wrong but I've done that many times when I'm sober and the other person is tanked.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...

I talked to a friend of mine today who lives out in the Eugene area. Now, he has a friend who works at the airport out there, and it was basically common knowledge back during the Fleece the Sheep '04 tour that, when they were here, Van Halen was mostly travelling separately.

Michael Anthony had a flight out from Eugene (to wherever he was headed), and my friend's friend worked (works) at the Eugene airport. Mike's flight was delayed, and a phone call was made, so my friend went down to the airport to see about getting some shit signed.

According to what I was told this morning, Michael was very cool about everything, but tensions were EXTREMELY high between him and Edward. Eddie was on a drinking binge and Mike and Sam were ready to "strangle him"; Alex was doing what he could to try and keep the peace and keep Ed focused.

Ed was screwing up things during soundcheck and doing a lot of shit during the shows that wasn't according to plan, and had been working hard to apparently sabotage the whole thing - according to Mike, Ed didn't want to be there and was not getting along with either him or Sam.

Also said Mike was very cool, very congenial and took the time to sign whatever my friend handed to him - he's sending me pictures of the stuff later on today...

I've known this guy since high school and he has no reason to lie to me about anything. Said Mike just shook his head and said "Eddie's a total basket case", and "other stuff" made it virtually impossible to work with him.

So...take it for what it's worth, but Mike's absence has probably been a LONG time coming...my guess is Ed is just plain sick of the Sammy and Mikey show...

I still don't think Wolfgang is a good idea...but maybe Anthony's presence just won't work anymore.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by bueno bob
    Well...

I talked to a friend of mine today who lives out in the Eugene area. Now, he has a friend who works at the airport out there, and it was basically common knowledge back during the Fleece the Sheep '04 tour that, when they were here, Van Halen was mostly travelling separately.

Michael Anthony had a flight out from Eugene (to wherever he was headed), and my friend's friend worked (works) at the Eugene airport. Mike's flight was delayed, and a phone call was made, so my friend went down to the airport to see about getting some shit signed.

According to what I was told this morning, Michael was very cool about everything, but tensions were EXTREMELY high between him and Edward. Eddie was on a drinking binge and Mike and Sam were ready to "strangle him"; Alex was doing what he could to try and keep the peace and keep Ed focused.

Ed was screwing up things during soundcheck and doing a lot of shit during the shows that wasn't according to plan, and had been working hard to apparently sabotage the whole thing - according to Mike, Ed didn't want to be there and was not getting along with either him or Sam.

Also said Mike was very cool, very congenial and took the time to sign whatever my friend handed to him - he's sending me pictures of the stuff later on today...

I've known this guy since high school and he has no reason to lie to me about anything. Said Mike just shook his head and said "Eddie's a total basket case", and "other stuff" made it virtually impossible to work with him.

So...take it for what it's worth, but Mike's absence has probably been a LONG time coming...my guess is Ed is just plain sick of the Sammy and Mikey show...

I still don't think Wolfgang is a good idea...but maybe Anthony's presence just won't work anymore.
    It kinda makes you wonder how long it will take before MR. MOODY starts shit with The Diamond One on the summer tour. I have read interviews from members of the DLR BAND and they all say DLR is a consumate professional. I can't see him dealing with an inebriated Edward showing up for rehearsals and gigs, there is to much at stake. This is Roth's version of the 68 Elvis comeback special. It is imperative that the tour is a success.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We can all hope that Ed just really wants to get back to the spirit, energy and high impact that Van Halen used to be all about. We can also hope, for Ed's sake as well as ours, that Wolfgang's presence in the band will keep him balanced, stable and sober.

Who knows? Maybe Wolfgang's presence will serve as a buffer between Ed and Dave; apparently Wolf's quite the fan of the classic stuff, so...maybe he's the CVH fanbase's ace in the hole for all this.

It's really too early to speculate, but the one thing we CAN do is hope for the best, considering Van Halen still faces a very bleak outlook as of current...

Loves guitars & pizza
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2012 @ 04:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Oh wow... we're all so enlightened again by ELVIS....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2012 @ 09:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The core of Van Halen, Ed and Dave, who made the great music, are also the two who were most responsible for CVH reunions not happening. It's not all Dave's fault and it's not all Ed's fault. It's both of them. It was their magic that made the music, and their BS that always screwed things up after 1984.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2007 @ 12:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds more like thier snatch is sore....there are some great feminine hygiene products that could help resolve this situation

If Dave has been as is being Dave and sticking to his guns....GREAT!!! Let them fight it out as men........still want the original CVH, but if Mike wants to be Scrumleys man lover so be it.

The facts are simple:

This is NOT a CVH re-union, this is VH mk IV.

There are alot of feelings being hurt....and honestly who really cares, give us what we want.

Tequila, Hot Sause, dildos, whatever.....shouldn't the music come first?

Mike can try to look like the good guy all he wants...no one is innocent here.

Vampire Cheesemaker
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2007 @ 11:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

This was a great interview. Thanks! I'd read it before, but forgot about it. I think it just shows that MA was the class of the band, and that EVH is just not a very nice person. AVH, also not so nice, but ED, what a cretin!

mickeba

Vampire Cheesemaker
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2007 @ 11:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry to just add on, but Ed is so disloyal! I remember when Dave first left and Ed would talk about Roth vs. Sammy and he'd say shit like, "We always hated Dave! We never got along. We were never friends." As I understand it, in the real early days, Dave's dad, Dr. Roth, helped them out quite a bit financially. Were they friends then? Look at the videos and concert footage. Seemed like they were getting along, didn't it? Then when they hired Gary. Eddie would say crap like, "The band never sounded better. Gary's my musical soulmate". Then he fires him because "3" sucked and tanked. No doubt it tanked. What a surprise! Now dumping Mike. EVH is just a really disgusting and disloyal guy.

mickeba

Thread Information