Yo Chimpy, Fear Channel, Toby Keith, and Busheep warmongers everywhere!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yo Chimpy, Fear Channel, Toby Keith, and Busheep warmongers everywhere!!!

"HA HA!!!"

5 Grammys Mark Dixie Chicks' Comeback
    By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer

LOS ANGELES - The Dixie Chicks completed a defiant comeback on Sunday night, capturing five Grammy awards after being shunned by the country music establishment over the group's anti-Bush comments leading up to the Iraq invasion.

The Texas trio won all the biggest categories, including record and song of the year for the no-regrets anthem "Not Ready to Make Nice." They also won best country album, which was especially ironic considering they don't consider themselves country artists anymore.

"I'm ready to make nice!" lead singer Natalie Maines exclaimed as the group accepted the album of the year award. "I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message."

The Dixie Chicks won all five awards they were nominated for, sweet vindication after the superstars' lives were threatened and sales plummeted when Maines criticized President Bush on the eve of the Iraq war in 2003. Almost overnight, one of the most successful groups of any genre was boycotted by Nashville and disappeared from country radio.

With "Taking the Long Way," the women relied on producer Rick Rubin's guidance for an album that was more rock and less country. (Rubin, who also produced "Stadium Arcadium," was honored as producer of the year.)

The standing ovations the Chicks received Sunday illustrated how much the political climate has changed regarding the Iraq war, and even Bush.

"That's interesting," Maines crowed from the podium after the country award was handed out earlier in the night. "Well, to quote the great 'Simpsons' _ 'Heh-Heh.'

"Just kidding," added Maines. "A lot of people just turned their TVs off right now. I'm very sorry for that."

Bandmate Emily Robison noted, "We wouldn't have done this album without everything we went through, so we have no regrets."

All the trophies collected by the Dixie Chicks (who shared song of the year honors with songwriter Dan Wilson), Blige and the Chili Peppers contributed to the evening's old-school feel.

This is an edited version of the article to keep it relevant to political topics. The complete article, with additional Grammy info can be seen here.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Only thing that could have made the show better is if Neil Young's "Living With War" had won the Rock album of the Year, which was presented by President Gore. But that one went to the Chili Peppers (Dixie Chicks weren't nominated for it)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• amadeus
      Head Fluffer
      • Jun 2004

I knew that the first post about the Dixie Hags winning those Grammys would be by you, FORD!

Comment

• hideyoursheep
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2007

*NOTE*

The QueerChannel affiliate here in Cincinnati promptly cut to news as soon as Maines put her hand on the award,effectively censoring any possible acceptance rants.So I don't know how that went,but I was expecting a good one.
        Of course if it were a sporting event or presidential speech,it would have been played in it's entirety.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
          *NOTE*

The QueerChannel affiliate here in Cincinnati promptly cut to news as soon as Maines put her hand on the award,effectively censoring any possible acceptance rants.So I don't know how that went,but I was expecting a good one.
          Of course if it were a sporting event or presidential speech,it would have been played in it's entirety.
          Are you shitting me??

Some fascist propaganda outlets don't know when to quit

Anyway, she didn't deliver any long rants. Pretty much the comments as mentioned above. Even if she had tried a long rant the house orchestra was under orders to keep all the acceptance speeches short. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing if you saw Mary J. Blige's first acceptance speech....
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• hideyoursheep
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by FORD
            Are you shitting me??

Some fascist propaganda outlets don't know when to quit

Anyway, she didn't deliver any long rants. Pretty much the comments as mentioned above. Even if she had tried a long rant the house orchestra was under orders to keep all the acceptance speeches short. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing if you saw Mary J. Blige's first acceptance speech....
            No bullshit.

A few years ago the QueerChannel station went from ABC to CBS.
            At first I thought my DVR was fucked up,until I realized I had FF through all the BS to live TV.Black screen, then a "breaking news" banner about freezing rain that MAY hit us in 48 hrs.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Ha ha, you've alienated any fans that could forgive and forget.

Their last release wasn't that good. Take a look at record sales. Their votes weren't a vote for the Dixie Chicks. It was a vote against Bush.

I'm glad that the minority of folks that can vote chose to send a message with their responsibility. Thanks for showing me that it's not about the music.
              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"Take a look at the the record sales?" WTF does that mean quality wise? The best VH album sold the least (Fair Warning).

In any case, the album sold pretty well, though their concert attendance was down...

In any case,

I'd like to be in that sandwich...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                  Ha ha, you've alienated any fans that could forgive and forget.

Their last release wasn't that good. Take a look at record sales. Their votes weren't a vote for the Dixie Chicks. It was a vote against Bush.

I'm glad that the minority of folks that can vote chose to send a message with their responsibility. Thanks for showing me that it's not about the music.
                  Harder to sell records when QueerChannel won't play 'em-harder still when they own so many concert venues (CC ).

What's to forgive? She was right all along- the rest of America is just now catching on.

As far as responsibility....well it's been over 6 years and we haven't seen any yet:eek:

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

The Clear Channel station would play them, but the backlash of listeners here would switch the dial.

She wasn't right either. She was dead wrong. You don't disrespect your President on a stage of paying fans in a foreign country. They were there for the music, NOT to hear their politics.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The Clear Channel station would play them, but the backlash of listeners here would switch the dial.

Yeah, well when you're a bunch of uneducated, inbred hicks, what can one say?

She wasn't right either. She was dead wrong. You don't disrespect your President on a stage of paying fans in a foreign country. They were there for the music, NOT to hear their politics.
                      LOL

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Go shovel snow nicker00

Comment

• fe_lung
                          Sniper
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          "Take a look at the the record sales?" WTF does that mean quality wise? The best VH album sold the least (Fair Warning).

In any case, the album sold pretty well, though their concert attendance was down...

Wasn't that due to lack of media support in the traditional country markets? They had a lot of problems getting airplay and advertising support in the bible belt and throughout the south

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, you NEVER hear politics at a Ted Nugent or Toby Keith concert.......
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              "Take a look at the the record sales?" WTF does that mean quality wise? The best VH album sold the least

No it didn't. VH I sold 10 million copies.

Either way, I don't like the Dixie Chicks. Not really a country music fan. After The Police performed I watched reruns of King of Queens.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...