Eddie interview in April 2007 Hit Parader...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Eddie interview in April 2007 Hit Parader...

EVH is easily one of the top 5 in guitar virtuosos of the 20th century. This only makes the last several years of the band's existence seem tragic. With so much talent kept on hold because no singer could get his act together to work with Eddie, much time has been wasted. Now, Van Halen fans can rejoice: the original band (with one minor adjustment) is returning this summer for a North American amphitheatre tour. We spoke to Eddie about what fans can expect.

HIT PARADER: So how does it feel to be back?

EDDIE VAN HALEN: Back where? I haven't gone anywhere.

HP: What have you been up to since your 2004 was tour with Sammy Hagar was cut short?

EVH: Oh, just writing, recording. Jamming with my kid and Al (Ed. Alex Van Halen, Eddie's brother and Van Halen's drummer). My son Wolfie, the kid's a natural. Started on guitar. Moved to bass last year, and we've just been jamming it up.

HP: Did you know from the outset that you would be getting Dave back in the band?

EVH: Y'know, it didn't really matter who it was. It could be Dave. It could be someone else. We actually had a couple of people come up to the house and sing. It could have been them.

HP: Or Hagar?

EVH: Nah. After the last tour, I realized that was sort of a mistake.

HP: What happened?

EVH: We just wanted to play. Couldn't get it together with Dave, though we'd sure tried. So Sam called Al and that set into motion. I was the last one. I said sure. Then we got Sobolewski in, though I didn't really want to (Ed.- Sobolewski is bass player Michael Anthony's real last name). Anyway, it just fell apart. Nobody was on speaking terms. And Hagar and the bass player were just using the press coverage to sell tequila or hot sauce. It was below the belt.

HP: So no chance on getting Anthony back in the band?

EVH: Why? He hasn't played on a Van Halen record in years. We've not spoken. I don't mean to slight him, he's a good player. But there hasn't been that vibe or closeness for years. Plus now he's off playing with the enemy. (laughs)

HP: You mean Hagar? Their band, "The Other Half"?

EVH: Yeah, what's with that? They're out there selling hot sauce and tequila and playing all the songs I wrote. It's kind of sad.

HP: So how did Roth enter the picture? I've been under the impression that you two haven't gotten along for years?

EVH: We wanted to play music again. Wolfie came to me last year and told me how much he loved those old songs. They were easy to learn and fun to play. So we've been jamming them for ages now, and I just sort of looked at Al and said, "Forget it, get Dave in here!" So we called him.

HP: Just like that?

EVH: No, it wasn't just like that. There were lots of lawyers and things to go through. (laughs)

HP: Did Anthony contact you?

EVH: No, but my agent, who is also my girlfriend, told me she'd heard that Hagar was trying to contact me. I don't know what the hell he wants.

HP: So cancer-free, going into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame, a tour with Roth? That's a big turnaround.

EVH: Yeah, it's great. But I don't think we're all going to play at the Hall of Fame. I can't imagine us all trying to share the stage together. Frankly, I don't want to play with everyone.

HP: What about a new album?

EVH: Yeah, maybe. I've got so much music. The name Van Halen, the family legacy, is going to go on forever. Passed on. My kid is a natural. I'm going to have him play on a solo record at some point.

HP: And new music with Roth?

EVH: Well, that's what we hope. We all sound great. You have no idea. And there's more than enough new music. But one thing at a time. We haven't even rehearsed that much yet.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.
  • Sarge's Little Helper
    Commando
    • Mar 2003

EVH is easily one of the top 5 in guitar virtuosos of the 20th century. This only makes the last several years of the band's existence seem tragic. With so much talent kept on hold because no singer could get his act together to work with Eddie, much time has been wasted. Now, Van Halen fans can rejoice: the original band (with one minor adjustment) is returning this summer for a North American amphitheatre tour. We spoke to Eddie about what fans can expect.

HIT PARADER: So how does it feel to be back?

EDDIE VAN HALEN: Back where? I haven't gone anywhere.

HP: What have you been up to since your 2004 was tour with Sammy Hagar was cut short?

EVH: Oh, just writing, recording. Jamming with my kid and Al (Ed. Alex Van Halen, Eddie's brother and Van Halen's drummer). My son Wolfie, the kid's a natural. Started on guitar. Moved to bass last year, and we've just been jamming it up.

HP: Did you know from the outset that you would be getting Dave back in the band?

EVH: Y'know, it didn't really matter who it was. It could be Dave. It could be someone else. We actually had a couple of people come up to the house and sing. It could have been them.

HP: Or Hagar?

EVH: Nah. After the last tour, I realized that was sort of a mistake.

HP: What happened?

EVH: We just wanted to play. Couldn't get it together with Dave, though we'd sure tried. So Sam called Al and that set into motion. I was the last one. I said sure. Then we got Sobolewski in, though I didn't really want to (Ed.- Sobolewski is bass player Michael Anthony's real last name). Anyway, it just fell apart. Nobody was on speaking terms. And Hagar and the bass player were just using the press coverage to sell tequila or hot sauce. It was below the belt.

HP: So no chance on getting Anthony back in the band?

EVH: Why? He hasn't played on a Van Halen record in years. We've not spoken. I don't mean to slight him, he's a good player. But there hasn't been that vibe or closeness for years. Plus now he's off playing with the enemy. (laughs)

HP: You mean Hagar? Their band, "The Other Half"?

EVH: Yeah, what's with that? They're out there selling hot sauce and tequila and playing all the songs I wrote. It's kind of sad.

HP: So how did Roth enter the picture? I've been under the impression that you two haven't gotten along for years?

EVH: We wanted to play music again. Wolfie came to me last year and told me how much he loved those old songs. They were easy to learn and fun to play. So we've been jamming them for ages now, and I just sort of looked at Al and said, "Forget it, get Dave in here!" So we called him.

HP: Just like that?

EVH: No, it wasn't just like that. There were lots of lawyers and things to go through. (laughs)

HP: Did Anthony contact you?

EVH: No, but my agent, who is also my girlfriend, told me she'd heard that Hagar was trying to contact me. I don't know what the hell he wants.

HP: So cancer-free, going into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame, a tour with Roth? That's a big turnaround.

EVH: Yeah, it's great. But I don't think we're all going to play at the Hall of Fame. I can't imagine us all trying to share the stage together. Frankly, I don't want to play with everyone.

HP: What about a new album?

EVH: Yeah, maybe. I've got so much music. The name Van Halen, the family legacy, is going to go on forever. Passed on. My kid is a natural. I'm going to have him play on a solo record at some point.

HP: And new music with Roth?

EVH: Well, that's what we hope. We all sound great. You have no idea. And there's more than enough new music. But one thing at a time. We haven't even rehearsed that much yet.
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• moose
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

Thanx for the read Rikk!
      Looks promising..........

Comment

• Jimmy Jingles
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Hmmmmm.......
        23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Rikk strikes again!
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Atomic Dyver
            Head Fluffer
            • Mar 2004

No mention of the VH logo cups that are supposed to be sold on tour?

Comment

• DLR'sCock
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Yo Rikk, where did you find this? Hmmmmm, I smell bullshit. hehe
              Last edited by DLR'sCock; 02-14-2007, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• pjvan
                Roadie
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Atomic Dyver
                No mention of the VH logo cups that are supposed to be sold on tour?
                I think Ed is done giving his fight strategy away. He wants to keep an element of surprise alive for when he goes Axl Rose on the people up front. No more warnings! Fear the Ed kick.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

In light of all the tongue in cheek (no pun intended) interviews posted here, is this really real????
                  I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• h100
                    Roth Army Recruit
                    • Jan 2007

hahaha sobelowski

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2006

See if you can find an April 2007 issue

And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• PumpedUpMidget
                        Head Fluffer
                        • May 2005

Great article, Rikk

Comment

• PHOENIX
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Rikk aint lying.

This is totally legit.

I assume no responsiblity for the accurateness of this article.

Comment

• Mugwump
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Feb 2007

Would appear to be legit based on a cursory read. You need to remember and RESPECT the history between DLR & EVH. Despite the ups and downs over the years a body of work and 'creative spark' still remain BEATING AND PUMPING blood into the band. Toss in Wolfgang who loves Roth and we may be in for a winner.

Again, watch for new music from anytime past November of this year.
                            Serious, Sane and Sorted

Comment

• Kilkmaru
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2005

Thats what i want new music. Make it the 12 pack or something lol
                              Greg

Comment

Working...