Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

New LA Times Article And Interview With Dave

Van Halen's road plans have taken a rocky turn
    By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
    February 23, 2007

For Van Halen, the stars seemed aligned for a triumphant 2007. Next month, the group will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the plan was to follow that with a summer reunion tour that would feature David Lee Roth back at the mike for the first time since the Reagan years.

But, once again, the backstage soap opera of Van Halen is the story of the day.

The Van Halen tour has been "shut down," according to a top official at Live Nation, the huge concert promoter that finally surrendered in the face of the chaos surrounding guitar hero Eddie Van Halen. Roth, meanwhile, says he is unsure whether the mercurial guitarist will even travel to New York for the Hall of Fame induction on March 12.

"We have fragile politics in Van Halen; please accept that as a partial answer," Roth said. "But I don't know if the Van Halens are going to go....I hope they do, but right now, I just don't know. Hope springs eternal."

Eddie Van Halen declined interviews through his publicist and girlfriend, Janie Liszewski. Conversations with the business team behind the tour paint a picture of a rock star who is somewhere between Axl Rose and Michael Jackson on the music industry scale of eccentric recluses. The result is that the Van Halen venture imploded before takeoff, even as the Police, the Eagles and Genesis have efficiently geared up for lucrative reunion tours.

"I cannot tell you how frustrating and completely nuts this has been," one key business figure in the tour said while asking not to be identified on the outside chance that the reunion might be salvaged. "Right now, I have to say, I don't see that happening."

It's a disheartening situation for the fans who pine for a Roth-led lineup of the iconic metal band. Among those devoted is Wolfgang Van Halen, the 15-year-old son of Eddie and, according to Roth, a key force behind the reunion.

Wolfgang, a precocious musician, was "the maestro" at the reconstituted band's lone rehearsal, picking the set list and using his iPod to remind his father of the nuances of his solos on the old albums. Wolfgang was tapped by his father to play bass on the tour too, replacing founding member Michael Anthony, a jolting choice considering the child's age and Anthony's status as one of rock's best backup singers and most relentlessly cheerful presences.

Eddie Van Halen remains, by all accounts, a gifted guitarist and rock auteur, but the decision to jettison Anthony in favor of a teenager may have been the first sign that the new enterprise was guided by creaky logic. Now all eyes will be on the Hall of Fame banquet to see who shows up, who performs and how Roth interacts with old rival Sammy Hagar, the man who replaced him as lead singer in 1985 and who will be inducted as an equal.

On Valentine's Day, when the tour still looked viable, Roth was all smiles as he sat down for an interview in a bungalow at Chateau Marmont. The 52-year-old was wearing a snappy black suit and the short haircut that has recently replaced his old pro-wrestler cut. He still flashes a karate smile, but the singer seems calmer and more focused than in years past. The reason, he said, is that he's fresh from working as an emergency medical technician in New York. It's a longtime dream of his to be a paramedic, and the unglamorous gurney and rubber-glove duty humbled him, he said.

"I was working in neighborhoods that were almost exclusively black and Spanish-speaking, so only maybe twice out of 200 clients was I recognized.... I was joking about this in the truck on New Year's Eve, which was my last shift — I was working in Brooklyn, down in Coney Island — I said that I've been in more project apartments than Jay-Z and Diddy combined."

Roth was the rock frontman on top of the world when he went solo, but — as Mick Jagger and Robert Plant also learned — fans treasure him more when he was side-by-side with an equal on guitar. Roth seemed like a vainglorious sex panther in Van Halen, but on his own he often came off as a relentless jive salesman whose only product was his own past. Roth is still "on" all the time — he calls it his "incandescent personality" — but lately he comes off as the voice of reason, a pretty stunning change.

That, and the financial prospects, made him jump at the chance to work with Eddie Van Halen again. Of the old days, he says: "There was a lot of sparks and a lot of tension, like your favorite movies, especially those underground ones.... There was a lot of anxiety too, but it was about ambition, not ego."

Roth was optimistic that the band would follow up the tour with new music; he also pointed to the cache of 1996 recordings that he did with Van Halen during an earlier reunion flirtation. Now it appears the entire output of this new reunion was a single rehearsal in January and a photo shoot with Roth and Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex Van Halen. Alex is Eddie's older brother and the band's drummer.

"Hearing it again, that's an elixir.... What we sell is that we make all the guys feel young and invincible and all the girls feel young and desirable," Roth said. "I watched it happen to everybody that was listening in the studio."

Van Halen was a monster of rock and, for a time, arguably the biggest band in the world. According to the Recording Industry Assn. of America, Van Halen albums have shipped more than 56.5 million copies, which is more than the career totals of U2, Celine Dion, Shania Twain or Prince.

Roth said that he and Anthony will be in New York for the Hall of Fame, as will Hagar, the affable "red rocker."

Last month, Hagar publicly chided Eddie Van Halen for taking his son on tour. He also added that "the guy is a genius, but he's just out there and it's hard for people around him."

In 2004 and 2005, Van Halen toured with Hagar and, according to Pollstar, grossed $55 million playing arenas. But Hagar said that Eddie Van Halen was drinking heavily and, on some nights, it showed. In Chicago, Eddie stumbled throughout the set and, at one point, quit playing and sacked out, telling the crowd: "I done run outta gas."

There were tender scenes too. With the tour winding down in Los Angeles, for instance, Wolfgang came on stage at the Staples Center to play. The body language of father and son made it clear that they reveled in the shared spotlight. Roth said that that affection led to the hopes for the Van Halen reunion.

"I'm going to put some words in Ed's mouth," Roth said. "Whatever explanation he may give about having his son in the band, I'm going to superimpose: He wants to play with his kid while he's still at the top of his game and able to ... and that's also the same reason I'm in the band in its current configuration. No questions asked. He said, 'Hey, c'mon up the hill and make some music.' I said, 'Great. I'd love to play with you while you're still on the top of your game.' "

Roth smiled, but a moment later, when he was asked about what he feared most about the reunion, he didn't hesitate with his answer: "The two worst words in the English lexicon are 'band meeting.' "

geoff.boucher@latimes.com
    Last edited by sizzlingmonkey; 02-22-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    cool!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dont think dave cares about a reunion as long as he sees his name In print,

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and hes claiming hes still in the band? hmmmmmm

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So it looks like the dream is over.....................
    BASTARDS!

Katie

Last Gasp
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting indeed ...
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    class act!!! fucking A...dave is above everything in this scenario...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

sdmf
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    good to see dave being upfront....sad to see more evidence of a trainwreck

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Perhaps the most human side of Dave we've ever seen. Clearly, they are trying to get Ed in rehab. Let's hope he doesn't Britney.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Most distressing.

This does not bode well for anything, be it a tour, new music, etc...

But, as usual, DLR is there to keep it real and tell it like it is.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
    I dont think dave cares about a reunion as long as he sees his name In print,
    Yes...I'm sure DLR went out and solicited that interview just so he could "see his name in print."

I'm sure that nobody in the media has been knocking down his door for comments since the reunion was announced. It's just Dave trolling for attention.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds like an intervention needs some doing

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh ya, FUCK!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dont think
    That's obvious.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    so it was wolfgang that convinced Eddie, good boy!! Well almost

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    NOW can I say I TOLD YOU SO ??

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a great article. And the LA Times DOES research their sources...

If it happens at all, it ain't gonna' be a summer tour, and Anthony will have to be there...

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by fryingdutchman
    Yes...I'm sure DLR went out and solicited that interview just so he could "see his name in print."

I'm sure that nobody in the media has been knocking down his door for comments since the reunion was announced. It's just Dave trolling for attention.

thats not what I meant, I am sure alot of the problem is Eddie, but we all know dave has his days too, if they announced tommorow they were gonna tour, i would be first in line for a ticket

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    good lord...es must be so off his fucking mind...

so now it's about the HOF-thing...one can speculate that ed doesn't want to face ex-bass player and hagar

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    VH should play a private party or something like that to show everyone that they are still working on it.....even a short club gig would be good.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
    good lord...es must be so off his fucking mind...

so now it's about the HOF-thing...one can speculate that ed doesn't want to face ex-bass player and hagar

If the sisters can't even get their shit together long enough to attend THAT......

FUCK 'EM

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    If the sisters can't even get their shit together long enough to attend THAT......

FUCK 'EM

it's not the sisters...it's only ed...alex can stay cool and do business...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh

If it happens at all, it ain't gonna' be a summer tour, and Anthony will have to be there...
    How do you figure that ??

According to this article and Dave himself, Wolfgang is the catalyst for the tour idea as well as Dave being back in the band...

No Wolfie, no nothing...

And apparently he's good...

So, I imagine we'll get something...

I'm thinking new music will result sooner or later, which is what i want...

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Further evidence that Ed is crazier than a cuckoo clock...
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    this is the "softest" and most calm down interview I ever read from dave...

he speaks good about wolfgang...and it seems that ed would be totally lost without him...not that he is not close to that...

Serial Killer
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and hes claiming hes still in the band? hmmmmmm
    hmmmmm.

What does that mean? I have never understood why someone would actually take the time out to type that. It basically says I am a non commital person devoid of opinion.

and he's claiming he's still in the band? INSERT Intelligent speculation/comment here. Not hmmmmmmm.

I was sent an email last week that used hmmmmmmm in a way that I took great offense to. I duly marched myself over to the establishment of the sender of said email, pinned him by the throat to the wall in the alley next to this establishment and he clarified exactly what he meant to my satisfaction.

Do you really think Dave feels the need to see his name in print? Really?
    "One mouthful of you will rot every tooth in my mouth you little sugar"

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Plexi Head
    hmmmmm.

What does that mean? I have never understood why someone would actually take the time out to type that. It basically says I am a non commital person devoid of opinion.

and he's claiming he's still in the band? INSERT Intelligent speculation/comment here. Not hmmmmmmm.

I was sent an email last week that used hmmmmmmm in a way that I took great offense to. I duly marched myself over to the establishment of the sender of said email, pinned him by the throat to the wall in the alley next to this establishment and he clarified exactly what he meant to my satisfaction.

hmmmmmm

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    kidding

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's all Eddie. Dave only talks good of him in this, and still refers to himself as being "in the band". My money says they are going to try & get Eddie to sober up. He's done it before, maybe he can do it again.

But still, I would like to throw out a big FUCK YOU! to Eddie for screwing with the fans once again.

How many songs did they record in 1996?

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by sadaist
    It's all Eddie. Dave only talks good of him in this, and still refers to himself as being "in the band". My money says they are going to try & get Eddie to sober up. He's done it before, maybe he can do it again.

But still, I would like to throw out a big FUCK YOU! to Eddie for screwing with the fans once again.

How many songs did they record in 1996?

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FUCK EDDIE!!!!!!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Plexi Head
    hmmmmm.

ask me that later when Im feeling more, "commital"

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    God...who fucking cares...

1. This isn't a fucking surprise...

2. No shit Ed is a fucking nutcase. The best description I've ever seen...Between Michael Jackson and Axl Rose...

that's dead on...

I swear to god...let Wolfgang and Dave Tour...with Michael...

and get a damn monkey for a drummer...

well..

okay then...

someone other than Alex...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fucking bullshit. they cant cancel it. ed must be completely out of his mind if this tour doesnt fall through. im hoping its all role play and they own the hall of fame

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    God...who fucking cares...

1. This isn't a fucking surprise...

2. No shit Ed is a fucking nutcase. The best description I've ever seen...Between Michael Jackson and Axl Rose...

that's dead on...

I swear to god...let Wolfgang and Dave Tour...with Michael...

and get a damn monkey for a drummer...

well..

okay then...

someone other than Alex...
    that could work

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLRdelight!
    fucking bullshit. they cant cancel it.

ed must be completely out of his mind
    to a) they can...

to b) he is...

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLRdelight!
    fucking bullshit. they cant cancel it. ed must be completely out of his mind if this tour doesnt fall through. im hoping its all role play and they own the hall of fame
    well, if the hall of fame is gonna be live for 4 hours, anything could happen, ANYTHING

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've been saying it for weeks...

fuck Eddie...

Put fucking Wolfgang in as the lead...

it naturally fits...

Ed finds another wunderkind as a guitar player...

Michael comes in at bass...

and call fucking Luzier...he'd do it in a fucking heartbeat...

and call it fucking Van Halen...

let spED sue his own kid...so the whole world can see what a cocksucker he is...

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd still like all of those posters who called BULLSHIT on the "rumors" of a postponement, and clucked so proudly that it was all radio DJ crap, to step forward and EAT CROW.

We TRIED to tell you clowns that ANYTHING regarding spEDCO is bound to de-rail....

I still can't believe you all saw the writing on the wall, with spED's porno GF as the Publicist, Val's son as the bassist, and Dave riding shotgun, and you still bought it hook, line, and sinker......

Those who ignore history, are doomed to repeat it

Thread Information