• Show
Clear All
  • MAX
    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Painting

K,

Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. I hit the search button and found no related threads.

My question is this.

If I were to either purchase a new and unfinished body or were to completely sand down an old one, what kind of paint is the best to use for refinishing the axe? I've heard many theories but I'd like to know from those of whom have both actually and successfully done it.

I've been dicking around with so many guitars as of late, for my next project, I really wanna build a new axe from start to finish. However, I wanna have an awesome looking paint job. Therefore, I'd like to know what paints to use? Also, I wanna know what products I'd use after painting to give it both a glossy and professionally looking finish.

Thank you.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

Hmmm....I believe I used Krylon....Laquer I believe......

I'll have to look up the details.....

The "key" in my opinion?

light coats....with plenty of drying time in between...lightly sanded.....

I'll have more on this soon....

I have to find all my notes from doing mine....

Comment

• MAX
      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Last edited by MAX; 03-04-2007, 10:27 AM.
      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Thanks Taeo!!!

Also, here are a cupla pics of some of my axes that I promised to show you. I have a cupla others but they're taken apart and haven't taken any pics yet.

*FOR SOME FUCKING REASON, THE IMAGEHOSTING ISN'T JUST POSTING THE PICS SO YOU'LL HAVE TO CLICK ON THE LINK!!!*

My Bluey "Frankie"

Here's my Bluey, '83 Strat, '88 Spector Bass and that Ibanez I told you about.

Elvis, if you happen to see this pic, the neck on the floor is the one that's on it's way.

Also, here's my Red Strat in it's current state. I recently put a red pearl pickguard on it. The Blue Strat next to it is not mine. It's our drummer's that he just keeps in his studio.

Last edited by MAX; 03-04-2007, 11:01 AM.
        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Post a closeup of that red '83...

Comment

• MAX
            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Here Elvis,

This is the best I can do right now cos I don't have the wires for the digital camera handy to take a new pic.

I've gotta take some detailed pics anyway cos this website www.stratcentral.com wants to post pics of it. They want me to put the white pickguard back on it. I told them you have a lefty as well and I think they'd prolly want a pic of yours as well for their site.

EDIT!!!

I forgot, the site isn't linking the pics directly so I can make them bigger...

Here's a closeup.

Last edited by MAX; 03-05-2007, 05:01 AM.
            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Gorgeous Strat

Comment

• indeedido
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

I use automotive laquer paint, but get it loaded into aerosol cans. I get the paint code off of my favorite car, give it to them, and they load it. Comes out awesome. Harder, more durable finish than Krylon.

Automotive spray paint provides an easy way to cover medium-sized areas, and at AutomotiveTouchup, we have all the products you need to spray-paint a car and get professional-grade results. Shop with us today! at AutomotiveTouchup
                This space for rent.

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

Here is a site that I found helpful.....http://www.eddievanhalen.com/evh/ind...topic&t=667412

THe VHLINKS had some valuable info once upon a time...but I think it was before they got hacked and lost the old material..........

Also...GAR was extremely helpful in answering questions I had aboot painting my guitar.......

ELVIS too I believe.....

many peeps on this site know their stuff....and are more than willing to hip somebody to their wealth of knowledge...

Comment

• Seagate5150
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Apr 2007

I used Dupli-Color laquer the only problem is that it only comes in white and black (I think). I started off my VH I project with dupli-color primer, then used a black coat, then wet sanded. Repeat the process, then wet sand the body W/Stripes or whatever the final base is, then clear the body. It should turn out great.

I love your Red Strat BTW.

Oh yeah, and your blue frankie is sweet too.

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seagate5150
                      I used Dupli-Color laquer the only problem is that it only comes in white and black (I think). I started off my VH I project with dupli-color primer, then used a black coat, then wet sanded. Repeat the process, then wet sand the body W/Stripes or whatever the final base is, then clear the body. It should turn out great.

I love your Red Strat BTW.

Oh yeah, and your blue frankie is sweet too.

Why thank you.
                      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

Working...