Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries

Cool Sabbath with Ozzy

I started this thread because I was playing around on YouTube, again...

But I just wanted to share this stuff and let those of you too lazy to search see how good Ozzy still sounds...

On some stuff he sounds as good as ever...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_D__f6YWal8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_D__f6YWal8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hfjoTSQ933w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hfjoTSQ933w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-x6on4lW0-E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-x6on4lW0-E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Not the greatest vocal from Ozzy but cool they did this song...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0Wsoln9MgQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0Wsoln9MgQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm amazed Ozzy can do this...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYDwZwiKiFE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYDwZwiKiFE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoZ4yfdzZ68"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoZ4yfdzZ68" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTb7KU4AJSU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTb7KU4AJSU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

What year was these clips from Mr E ??
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

\m/
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-23-2009 @ 09:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What year was these clips from
    2005?

Excellent stuff!
    Thanx for sharing.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Almost all are 2005...

I think the first two are 2003...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think the last time I saw Ozzy live was 2000.
    He had Zakk with him, and it rocked !

He's got a really unusual voice. Ever noticed him humming
    or singing something to himself (like on the Osbournes).
    It sounds pretty crappy, then you hear him grab a mic
    and that distinctive vocal comes through....

Actually, theres a challenge for ya Elvis, see if you can
    find Ozzy singing without amplification or a microphone...

Its like his voice knows this whole other mode when he
    has a mic in his hands...

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wrong place to be showing those clips, as there's alot of Ozzy haters (hint: Darth Vader) around here! I'm not one of them...big Ozzy fan, but lots of Dio fans on here. To me, the real Black Sabbath was when Ozzy was in the band. I've never been a big fan of Dio...his vocal style is nothing special. I believe the majority of Dio's fan base posts here...I've never understood the appeal. Holy Diver...Rainbow In The Dark...borrrrring.
    Last edited by Little Texan; 03-15-2007 at 11:47 PM.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

I dig DIO-era SABBATH....

And will be attending any DETROIT area shows...

but having said that...

OZZY IS BLACK SABBATH....

along with TONY GEEZER and BILL

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I reckon DIO is cool as ice, but Ozzy will always be
    Sabbath..

Doesnt mean I dont enjoy DIO having a go now and then :p

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 856 Posts

I give Ozzy a lot of shit, but it's mostly due to the fact that he's become a whore to the media and Sharon's his pimp. The classic Sabbath stuff for me gets played as much as the Dio (or any other) era.

Being totally honest, you can't knock classic Sabbath at all. There's just...no way to do it...and yes, I will admit, Black Sabbath was a MUCH different beast whenever anyone else was up at the mic.

That being said - I still won't take anything away from Ronnie. Ronnie is a far superior vocalist to Ozzy, he's a lyricist (something Sabbath always had to rely on Geezer for primarily before hand), and he's a musician, which gives him the edge in so far as ability is concerned.

Still, there's a magic to an Ozzy fronted Sabbath that can't be touched. I'll admit that gladly. But I won't say that a Dio fronted Sabbath is any worse - it's just different, but equally as good. In a lot of ways, I think the Dio/Iommi/Butler combination is wickedly effective in skill - runs a strong challenge to the Osbourne/Iommi/Butler combination that just has a streak of black magic running through it somewhere.

Overall body of work? With Ozzy, you can go from 1970 to 1988 and not hit a dull moment anywhere (with minor exceptions - Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, while great albums, lacked a lot of the original Sabbath spark...The Ultimate Sin was also a mixed bag). After 1988, well...not so much. The only saving grace No More Tears had was the uncredited work of Bob Daisley. Ozzmosis was a mixed bag that bordered on crapola and everything's been total shit thereafter. Lyrically, when you get right down to it, Ozzy's always been carried by his bassist (Geezer or Bob, depending - after Bob did the right thing and told Sharon Inc. to fuck off, it's been a writing team ever since...only Geezer and Bob really know what to do with Ozzy's lyrics, as far as I'm concerned).

With Ronnie, I'm seriously hard pressed to find a bad Dio album over any of his material. The first Elf album was somewhat generic, but L.A. 59 and Trying to Burn the Sun remain among the BEST recorded music in any genre I've ever heard. Rainbow? Needs no explanation at all. Ronnie saved Sabbath from total disaster in 1980 and really brought a new edge to Tony and Geezer's musicianship. One can argue that he brought too much Rainbow with him, but anybody who knocks Heaven and Hell and/or Mob Rules either isn't a Dio fan or isn't a Sabbath fan, and that's fine - but with both of those albums, there isn't anything missing. As a solo artist, Holy Diver is one of the best metal albums ever recorded - Last in Line, Sacred Heart and Dream Evil were all competant follow ups, although Sacred Heart probably relied on Jimmy Bain's input a wee bit too heavily. Lock Up the Wolves just sounded generic, but there was a brand new band to consider at the time. Dehumanizer once again completely reinvigorated a very tired sounding Black Sabbath. Strange Highways and Angry Machines tried to follow up on the Dehumanizer sound, but Tracy G just wasn't the right guy for Dio. Since then, though, Ronnie's been back on track with the Dio sound everybody's most familiar with, and vocally he's lost little over the years. He's slowed down a bit, but to consider that he's 65-67 years old...it's just fucking amazing...

The new Sabbath songs are wonderful and far more satisfying than the two new Sabbath songs with Ozzy in '98. And Dio being with Sabbath right now is exactly what Tony and Geezer need - either Ozzy can't change the setlist or just won't, and Tony and Geezer have both been on record insinuating their boredom with playing the same shit night after night whenever they're out with Ozzy.

What it comes down to, for me, is who brings the absolute best out of Tony and Geezer - the heavy metal GODS of our time, the living breathing FUCKING LEGENDS. Frankly, they were bored and tired with Ozzy, and the music with Ronnie is more challenging and a breath of fresh air to them.

Ozzy is absolutely a legend, but he can't claim to have done it himself - frankly, it's truth that Ozzy's career has been made for him by Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Randy Rhodes, Bob Daisley and Sharon Osbourne. He can't write lyrics and he's not as instrumentalist.

I hold Ronnie in a higher light because he was musician enough to make it on his own - even if Ritchie Blackmore had stayed in Deep Purple and hadn't have come calling in '75, Ronnie was going places and those early Elf albums prove it. Bottom line is this - if Tony and Geezer didn't work together and write together as well as they did, Ozzy'd be bagging somebody's groceries in Birmingham.

I'm not an Ozzy hater, per se, I love his music up til '88 or so - I'm just a realist and the musician part of me identifies more with Ronnie.
    Last edited by bueno bob; 03-16-2007 at 02:35 AM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Originally posted by Matt White

but having said that...

That's where I stand too.

Last time I saw Ozzy live was '98 with Joe Holmes on guitar, and then headlining with Sabbs. He still had it.

Seeing him in June this year and looking forward to it immensely, just hope he's not the shadow of his former self that he seems on some clips I've seen.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

but having said that...

Word.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

SABBATH...from 1969 to 1979 is ther LEGEND....

That's the stuff that got 'em in the HALL OF FAME....

The OZZY stuff...written by GEEZER...has that nasty 70's cheap horror film/ragweed vibe that they invented........

The DIO stuff is GRATE...just different...and might as well have been from a different band....Dio writes music too...and his influence is all over H&H and MOB.......

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

...but nothing tops the Tony Martin era. Just ask Lumbergh. I can't fucking get that guy to shut up about Tony Martin. Christ, you'd think he was gay for him or something.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

The DIO stuff is GRATE...just different...and might as well have been from a different band....Dio writes music too...and his influence is all over H&H and MOB.......
    Exactly, exactly...

The Dio stuff does sound remarkably different, faster tempos, more energetic.

I love the three studio records with him, I prefer the Ozzy stuff (which has more magic to these ears), but the Dio-era is classic too, and is overlooked by music journalism these days...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey, what about 1983's BORN AGAIN??!

I fucking loved that record.

A very underrated album, IMO. Ian Gillan certainly brought another dimension to Sabbath.

Zero the Hero is great. I wish the sound mix on that one was better though.

Too bad the resulting 83-84 Born Again tour was shit compared to the album.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really think Ian Gillan was the only guy on the planet who could have sang on that album. That music was just demonically heavy...Ian's voice was just out of control good...Born Again was a fucking GREAT album...

Tour-wise...yeah, it blew...Ian was not the right guy to be singing the classic Sabbath stuff...considering he was up on stage with the lyrics written on a piece of paper he's reading off of and he still blew it...

On top of that, ELO's Bev Bevan was behind the kit, and there were some people pissed that Bill Ward wasn't touring behind it...

I wonder whatever happened to that Stonehenge set? Tony Iommi said they abandoned it on a dock somewhere...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by bueno bob
    On top of that, ELO's Bev Bevan was behind the kit, and there were some people pissed that Bill Ward wasn't touring behind it...
    Yeah. Bill fell off the wagon again and couldn't tour.

As for Ian, I think there's a performance of Sabbath and him on youtube TRYING to sing 'Heaven and Hell'.

THAT was bad.

In all fairness to Ian though, that song has just Dio all over it. And unless you can sing like RJD, you'll feel lost trying to do H&H.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No shit...I tried ONCE.

ONCE.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

...but nothing tops the Tony Martin era. Just ask Lumbergh. I can't fucking get that guy to shut up about Tony Martin. Christ, you'd think he was gay for him or something.
    Tony "The Cat" Martin is a bonafide legend. I better not hear ANYONE disparage him....87 records sold AND counting bitches!!!!!

Dog Killer
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-13-2012 @ 07:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Panamark

Its like his voice knows this whole other mode when he
    has a mic in his hands...
    I think this mode is simple tools to distord voice.....nothing else
    without a mic. he will sound like my grandfather (92) singing with a rock band

Dog Killer
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-13-2012 @ 07:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    I give Ozzy a lot of shit, but it's mostly due to the fact that he's become a whore to the media and Sharon's his pimp. The classic Sabbath stuff for me gets played as much as the Dio (or any other) era.

Being totally honest, you can't knock classic Sabbath at all. There's just...no way to do it...and yes, I will admit, Black Sabbath was a MUCH different beast whenever anyone else was up at the mic.

That being said - I still won't take anything away from Ronnie. Ronnie is a far superior vocalist to Ozzy, he's a lyricist (something Sabbath always had to rely on Geezer for primarily before hand), and he's a musician, which gives him the edge in so far as ability is concerned.

Still, there's a magic to an Ozzy fronted Sabbath that can't be touched. I'll admit that gladly. But I won't say that a Dio fronted Sabbath is any worse - it's just different, but equally as good. In a lot of ways, I think the Dio/Iommi/Butler combination is wickedly effective in skill - runs a strong challenge to the Osbourne/Iommi/Butler combination that just has a streak of black magic running through it somewhere.

Overall body of work? With Ozzy, you can go from 1970 to 1988 and not hit a dull moment anywhere (with minor exceptions - Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, while great albums, lacked a lot of the original Sabbath spark...The Ultimate Sin was also a mixed bag). After 1988, well...not so much. The only saving grace No More Tears had was the uncredited work of Bob Daisley. Ozzmosis was a mixed bag that bordered on crapola and everything's been total shit thereafter. Lyrically, when you get right down to it, Ozzy's always been carried by his bassist (Geezer or Bob, depending - after Bob did the right thing and told Sharon Inc. to fuck off, it's been a writing team ever since...only Geezer and Bob really know what to do with Ozzy's lyrics, as far as I'm concerned).

With Ronnie, I'm seriously hard pressed to find a bad Dio album over any of his material. The first Elf album was somewhat generic, but L.A. 59 and Trying to Burn the Sun remain among the BEST recorded music in any genre I've ever heard. Rainbow? Needs no explanation at all. Ronnie saved Sabbath from total disaster in 1980 and really brought a new edge to Tony and Geezer's musicianship. One can argue that he brought too much Rainbow with him, but anybody who knocks Heaven and Hell and/or Mob Rules either isn't a Dio fan or isn't a Sabbath fan, and that's fine - but with both of those albums, there isn't anything missing. As a solo artist, Holy Diver is one of the best metal albums ever recorded - Last in Line, Sacred Heart and Dream Evil were all competant follow ups, although Sacred Heart probably relied on Jimmy Bain's input a wee bit too heavily. Lock Up the Wolves just sounded generic, but there was a brand new band to consider at the time. Dehumanizer once again completely reinvigorated a very tired sounding Black Sabbath. Strange Highways and Angry Machines tried to follow up on the Dehumanizer sound, but Tracy G just wasn't the right guy for Dio. Since then, though, Ronnie's been back on track with the Dio sound everybody's most familiar with, and vocally he's lost little over the years. He's slowed down a bit, but to consider that he's 65-67 years old...it's just fucking amazing...

The new Sabbath songs are wonderful and far more satisfying than the two new Sabbath songs with Ozzy in '98. And Dio being with Sabbath right now is exactly what Tony and Geezer need - either Ozzy can't change the setlist or just won't, and Tony and Geezer have both been on record insinuating their boredom with playing the same shit night after night whenever they're out with Ozzy.

What it comes down to, for me, is who brings the absolute best out of Tony and Geezer - the heavy metal GODS of our time, the living breathing FUCKING LEGENDS. Frankly, they were bored and tired with Ozzy, and the music with Ronnie is more challenging and a breath of fresh air to them.

Ozzy is absolutely a legend, but he can't claim to have done it himself - frankly, it's truth that Ozzy's career has been made for him by Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Randy Rhodes, Bob Daisley and Sharon Osbourne. He can't write lyrics and he's not as instrumentalist.

I hold Ronnie in a higher light because he was musician enough to make it on his own - even if Ritchie Blackmore had stayed in Deep Purple and hadn't have come calling in '75, Ronnie was going places and those early Elf albums prove it. Bottom line is this - if Tony and Geezer didn't work together and write together as well as they did, Ozzy'd be bagging somebody's groceries in Birmingham.

I'm not an Ozzy hater, per se, I love his music up til '88 or so - I'm just a realist and the musician part of me identifies more with Ronnie.
    Sir, this is your best post in a long time. 100% what I think about Ozzy / Dio
    Thanks
    Last edited by bastardog; 03-16-2007 at 04:37 PM.

\m/
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie
    Exactly, exactly...

The Dio stuff does sound remarkably different, faster tempos, more energetic.

I love the three studio records with him, I prefer the Ozzy stuff (which has more magic to these ears), but the Dio-era is classic too, and is overlooked by music journalism these days...
    Martin Birch really tightened-up the sound on the Dio albums. It really was like two different bands.

You can chalk me up as a 'Born Again' fanboy also. The heaviest, most evil sounding record they ever did.

There is an 'unmixed' version of 'Born Again' (on torrent sites) that supposedly leaked from Gillan himself. It has an unreleased track 'The Fallen' on it. I don't know why it didn't make the album, as it's quite good.

The unmixed version also doesn't have the bass 'turned up to 11' like the album does. Check it out.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    06-11-2007 @ 07:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

but having said that...

Very well said and I could not agree more. While I do dig Ozzy with Sabbath and their first release is a staple of mine to this day, my all time favorite Black Sabbath Album is "Mob Rules" with DIO. I grew up listening to the Dio Version of Black Sabbath and OZZY's solo stuff (Diary of Madman, Bizzard of Oz, etc) and actually enjoyed that both where out there...

Ozzy as of late has lost appeal as I think he is married to a cunt bitch but other other than that, he was the man...

Cheers,

KiD

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by cMb
    Martin Birch really tightened-up the sound on the Dio albums. It really was like two different bands.

You can chalk me up as a 'Born Again' fanboy also. The heaviest, most evil sounding record they ever did.

There is an 'unmixed' version of 'Born Again' (on torrent sites) that supposedly leaked from Gillan himself. It has an unreleased track 'The Fallen' on it. I don't know why it didn't make the album, as it's quite good.

The unmixed version also doesn't have the bass 'turned up to 11' like the album does. Check it out.
    Yeah...only problem I had with it was that I had to get into the feed and actually put in my own track breaks before burning it to a CDR - anybody else have that problem, having it all as one continuous track?

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by bastardog
    Sir, this is your best post in a long time. 100% what I think about Ozzy / Dio
    Thanks

\m/
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

anybody else have that problem, having it all as one continuous track?
    The way I got it was individual trax.

It's lossy mp3, but, hey, it's better than never hearing it!

That was an outstanding Ozz/Dio post!

Thread Information