Thread: "Boston" in chaos after Brad Delp's suicide

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"Boston" in chaos after Brad Delp's suicide

Looks llike Brad Delp's suicide will continue to reverberate through Boston for some time to come.

Read on.

CONCORD, N.H. - The band Boston spoke to people's souls during the 1970s with smash hits like "More Than a Feeling" and "Peace of Mind." But two weeks after lead singer Brad Delp's suicide at his New Hampshire home, bad feelings abound. Current members of the band, including the chief songwriter and founder, Tom Scholz, were not informed about or invited to Delp's funeral, which was attended by early band members who opposed Scholz in a 1980s legal battle.

Last week, Delp's ex-wife Micki was quoted on a radio station saying Delp was distressed about the conflicts in his professional life and became despondent after a longtime friend, Fran Cosmo, was cut from Boston's summer concert lineup. The story spread online, where fans trying to figure out the reason for Delp's suicide took up the cudgels.

Scholz, who called Delp his "closest friend and collaborator in music for over 35 years," said he was crushed by Delp's suicide and his exclusion from the funeral. Now he feels he is being unfairly blamed for Delp's death.

"It went from devastating on the initial phone call to an absolute nightmare," Scholz told The Associated Press on Friday in a tearful telephone interview, his first since Delp's death on March 9. (An interview conducted by e-mail was published earlier in Rolling Stone.)

"We had been told it would only be his immediate family (at the funeral), and of course it wasn't," he said.

A lawyer for Scholz sent a letter to Micki Delp on Friday demanding a retraction. She did not immediately respond Friday to an e-mail message from The Associated Press via the publicist who has handled statements for the family.

Boston has canceled its summer engagements, and Scholz said he still hopes the rift can be mended and the band can be part of a public memorial service that Delp's children, their mother Micki, and Delp's fiancee, Pamela Sullivan, said last week was in the works.

Sullivan said no one intentionally excluded the current band members from the funeral.

"It was about getting the children through it as quickly and quietly as possible with the people they were up to facing at the time and the people who could be the most comfort to them," she told the AP in a telephone interview.

Tensions between Scholz and some of the early band members date from the early 1980s, when CBS Inc. sued the band over delays in recording new albums. The company's Epic Records label recorded the band's first two releases: "Boston," in 1976, and "Don't Look Back," in 1978.

Scholz countersued for the rights to the band's name and music. Three members of the original band _ Barry Goudreau, Sib Hashian and Fran Sheehan _ testified for the record company, which lost. Goudreau is Micki Delp's brother-in-law, and she reportedly remains close to the ousted band members.

Delp, the only band member besides Scholz whose name was on the CBS recording contract, remained friends with everyone, touring and recording with Scholz and the others over the decades. He also started a Beatles tribute band, Beatle Juice.

Scholz wrote, engineered, and laid down nearly all the instrumental tracks on the first album, but he said Delp helped him refine the songs and brought his music to life.

"It went from a guitar lick that didn't mean a thing to a real song as soon as he opened his mouth. That was always the case," Scholz said. "We had a very, very close working relationship. I swear it was like we were hooked up by a cable. We didn't even have to talk most of the time."

Scholz and Delp were both vegetarians and pacifists, both dedicated their money and talents to causes they believed in, and both proposed to their longtime girlfriends on Christmas Day 2006 by putting rings in their stockings _ only learning about the coincidence in a conversation afterward.

The band's first album was wildly successful, and remains one of the best-selling debut albums of all time, according to Billboard, selling more than 16 million copies. Boston's early music also remains a staple on classic rock stations, especially in New England.

96.5 FM ("The Mill") in Manchester plans a two-hour tribute to Boston on Sunday featuring excerpts from the station's interviews with Delp over the years. Program Director J.C. Haze said he remembers hearing the first album.

"Tom and Brad, they made such a unique sound it just took the world by storm," Haze said. "Nothing ever sounded like it, and nothing ever did since."
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wasn't invited to the funeral? Damn, where have I heard that before?

Nice. Real nice.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't know whether or not Tom can come to terms with Brad's family, but one thing is definitely true.....

Boston died with Brad. Let it go, Tom. Go build some new amps or cameras or whatever, but don't destroy what's left of Boston's musical legacy by trying to carry on without the one man who OWNED as much of the Boston sound as you did.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Boston's first album was a monster. Basically eclipsed everything else the band did.

Have to go with FORD on this one. Best just to hang up the band name. Think they had been touring sporatically over the years under the moniker, but that should cease now out of respect for Delp.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am so
    Originally posted by FORD
    Don't know whether or not Tom can come to terms with Brad's family, but one thing is definitely true.....

Boston died with Brad. Let it go, Tom. Go build some new amps or cameras or whatever, but don't destroy what's left of Boston's musical legacy by trying to carry on without the one man who OWNED as much of the Boston sound as you did.
    Originally posted by Terry
    Boston's first album was a monster. Basically eclipsed everything else the band did.

Have to go with FORD on this one. Best just to hang up the band name. Think they had been touring sporatically over the years under the moniker, but that should cease now out of respect for Delp.
    Damn, this is proving to be a tough year! Boston was a class act that I was looking very forward to seeing this year. I love the music very much and feel an emptiness knowing it's over.

I hope the right things are done in regards to the name, the surviving musicians, and the recordings: new, and old.
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fryingdutchman thanks for finding this.

Am still gutted by the news.

Katie

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did Brad Delp ever leave the band at one point in the 90s. I swore on the greatest hit album there was another singer on some songs. Could be wrong. Anyone know.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In my opinion, no big loss.....if I were in Boston, I would have committed suicide as well....

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There was at least one Boston studio album that Brad Delp did not do the vocals for, it was titled "Walk On." The album sucked in my opinion. I bought it and listened to it maybe two times, but it just wasn't the same. I think there was one song that Delp co-wrote on that album, and you can tell it by the way the vocal harmonies are done, but he didn't perform on it.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Didn't he already try once?

I think I even own that hideous fraud of an album...

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BrownSound1
    There was at least one Boston studio album that Brad Delp did not do the vocals for, it was titled "Walk On." The album sucked in my opinion. I bought it and listened to it maybe two times, but it just wasn't the same. I think there was one song that Delp co-wrote on that album, and you can tell it by the way the vocal harmonies are done, but he didn't perform on it.
    He rejoined the band halfway through the tour, though, as memory serves...

All this is a bunch of shit, but it's not surprising. In light of his recent passing, there was bound to be somebody trying to point an accusatory finger in one direction or another, and Tom is probably being unfairly singled out.

It's a tragedy, but...you can blame "internal strife" in Boston all you like, but fuck, every succesful band has internal strife to some degree or another, and not everybody kills themselves over it. There was more going on in Brad's life that lead him to making his decision, and the sole responsibility does NOT belong on Tom Scholz or internal conflicts within the Boston camp.

From losing a friend, excluded from his funeral while being blamed for his suicide...that just speaks of low class on the part of Brad's ex wife, I think. But, like I said, it's not surprising - when you lose somebody suddenly to suicide, you always try and figure out what or who's to blame for it, and often times people just point the finger at the nearest possible culprit.

Just a sad situation all around.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn, Brother Bob...it's hard to take you serious when I read your comments and have to look at one of the 7 Wonders of the World in your sig!

DLR Army Mod Emeritus
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fran Cosmo was the other singer - did the vocals on their last two albums. Apparently, he and Delp were really good friends - there's a whole marital and musically incestuous history between most of these current and former members, and their families. And on the historical periphery of it all is our favorite putz, the Ched Rocker. Google it.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Viking
    Fran Cosmo was the other singer - did the vocals on their last two albums. Apparently, he and Delp were really good friends - there's a whole marital and musically incestuous history between most of these current and former members, and their families. And on the historical periphery of it all is our favorite putz, the Ched Rocker. Google it.
    Unfortunately true....

His Cheddarness toured with Boston in the late 70's and became friends with the band. Tom Scholz was actually supposed to produce Spammy's "Danger Zone" album in 1980, but was forced off the project by the CBS legal team, which wanted the third Boston album.

Which, of course didn't come out for another 6 years anyway. Maybe Scholz could have given Hagar's record a decent guitar sound, but I doubt he could have done a damn thing to improve the lyrics.

Even though Scholz was kicked off the project, Boston members DID manage to make one appearance on a Hagar record. Brad Delp, Barry Goudreau, and Sib Hashian sang background vocals on the Ched Rocker's version of "Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay" - which also featured the original Stax Memphis house band who played on the original Otis Redding single.

It would have been a masterpiece of a record if it had a REAL lead singer

And in the final note of incestuousness, when Spammy broke up his 80's band to join Van Hagar, his guitarist Gary Pihl put in a cameo appearance on Third Stage, and was offerred Barry Goudreau's job on the following tour. He took it, and has been gainfully employed (every 8 years or so) ever since. Without having to play behind a cheesy singer in Ronald McDonald jumpsuits.....

Actually, knowing all of this useless trivia, I was actually surprised that the Spamster didn't give some kind of a shout out to Brad Delp at the Hall of Lame performance

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unfortunately true....

His Cheddarness toured with Boston in the late 70's and became friends with the band. Tom Scholz was actually supposed to produce Spammy's "Danger Zone" album in 1980, but was forced off the project by the CBS legal team, which wanted the third Boston album.

Which, of course didn't come out for another 6 years anyway. Maybe Scholz could have given Hagar's record a decent guitar sound, but I doubt he could have done a damn thing to improve the lyrics.

Even though Scholz was kicked off the project, Boston members DID manage to make one appearance on a Hagar record. Brad Delp, Barry Goudreau, and Sib Hashian sang background vocals on the Ched Rocker's version of "Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay" - which also featured the original Stax Memphis house band who played on the original Otis Redding single.

And in the final note of incestuousness, when Spammy broke up his 80's band to join Van Hagar, his guitarist Gary Pihl put in a cameo appearance on Third Stage, and was offerred Barry Goudreau's job on the following tour. He took it, and has been gainfully employed (every 8 years or so) ever since. Without having to play behind a cheesy singer in Ronald McDonald jumpsuits.....

Actually, knowing all of this useless trivia, I was actually surprised that the Spamster didn't give some kind of a shout out to Brad Delp at the Hall of Lame performance
    Wow...I didn't know it ran that deeply...I was aware of the Gary Pihl connection (and, truth be told, Gary's a great guitarist in his own right, always has been), but didn't know that the rest of classic Boston tied in that deeply.

Thanks, Ford.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    Damn, Brother Bob...it's hard to take you serious when I read your comments and have to look at one of the 7 Wonders of the World in your sig!
    Well, considering 93% of everything I post on these forums is total bullshit anyway, I can see the difficulty when I actually DO get serious for a minute...

93%...eh...I guess that's a decent ratio...

In touch w/ feminine side
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Sometimes I get the menstrual cramps real hard
    Status
    Unfortunately true....

Wow. You sure do know a lot about Sammy.
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    I guess you're right...

In touch w/ feminine side
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Sometimes I get the menstrual cramps real hard
    Status
    I know that Tom played most all of the guitar and bass parts on the first Boston album, but did he also play most of the drum tracks? Was it sort of like the first Foo Fighters record where Grohl did everything himself?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Roy Munson
    Wow. You sure do know a lot about Sammy.
    As I said, it's useless trivia.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Roy Munson
    I know that Tom played most all of the guitar and bass parts on the first Boston album, but did he also play most of the drum tracks? Was it sort of like the first Foo Fighters record where Grohl did everything himself?
    Scholtz has said he had been recording demos of everything that ended up on the first album with Delp doing the vocals, and when he shopped those around to the record companies he put together the rest of the band for the express purpose of auditioning so he could get a record deal...that outside of a couple of leads on Long Time the whole album was basically those demos, regardless of whatever the album credits were in the end.

To me, Boston was always Delp and Scholtz anyway. No offense to the other three intended, but didn't matter to me a lick when they weren't around come Third Stage time.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    People do stupid things when somebody dies...and something as shocking as a suicide just makes people flip their whigs that much moreso...........

A sad story..........

sdmf
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by bueno bob
    Well, considering 93% of everything I post on these forums is total bullshit anyway, I can see the difficulty when I actually DO get serious for a minute...

93%...eh...I guess that's a decent ratio...

rofl you are my hero, keep rockin \m/

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by perilousepete
    rofl you are my hero, keep rockin \m/
    I plan on doing so for many years yet...

Heheheh...

juicecrell
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Give us the goddamn "official live greatest hits" cd and then we put "closure on the "original" BOSTON!!

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BrownSound1
    There was at least one Boston studio album that Brad Delp did not do the vocals for, it was titled "Walk On."
    How much you wanna bet Scholz will try to re-recruit the singer for that album to continue Boston?

I have whatever track from the album on the '97 greatest hits. It was good for the time that it was, but not one I go out of my way to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Smile

Sometimes it's best to just remember the good times:
    <center></center>

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Steve Savicki
    How much you wanna bet Scholz will try to re-recruit the singer for that album to continue Boston?
    That would be Fran Cosmo. He showed up at the recent Brad Delp tribute concert and played guitar with the current Boston. He did not sing because I believe he has had some vocal problems...which had something to do with him leaving the band in the first place.

Thread Information