Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Talking An Idiots review of Van Halen I

Mark my words: in three years, Van Halen is going to be fat and self-indulgent and disgusting, and they'll follow Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin right into the toilet. In the meantime, they are likely to be a big deal. Their cover of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" does everything right, and they have three or four other cuts capable of jumping out of the radio the same way "Feels like the First Time" and "More than a Feeling" did amid all the candyass singer/songwriters and Shaun Cassidy-ass twits.

Van Halen's secret is not doing anything that's original while having the hormones to do it better than all those bands who have become fat and self-indulgent and disgusting. Edward Van Halen has mastered the art of lead/rhythm guitar in the tradition of Jimmy Page and Joe Walsh; several riffs on this record beat anything Aerosmith has come up with in years. Vocalist Dave Lee Roth manages the rare hard-rock feat of infusing the largely forgettable lyrics with energy and not sounding like a castrato at the same time. Drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony are competent and properly unobtrusive.

These guys also have the good sense not to cut their hair or sing about destroying a hopelessly corrupt society on their first album. That way, hopelessly corrupt radio programmers will play their music.

Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band with the Rootettes, on the other hand, are already fat and self-indulgent and disgusting. This is a good thing because, in bypassing artistic maturity for immediate decadence, they have the distinction of being the first rock band in history to complain that their trusses are slipping ("My Wig Fell Off"). Oddly enough, they are also a good rock band. You would expect they'd be just clowns with a repertoire like "Heartbreak of Psoriasis" and "Too Sick to Reggae," but this outfit can play blues-based rock with anybody. Gary Katz, of Steely Dan fame, has produced a clean and eminently listenable instrumental sound while retaining the uniqueness of the Root's voice, which resonates like an emphysema victim vomiting inside the Goodyear blimp (check out "Boogie 'til You Puke").

All in their thirties, Root Boy and the rest can hardly be defined as New Wave. They are, however, part of the general movement of lunacy and satire that is shaking up the music industry. A lot of people thought the Sex Pistols were going to blaze the trail into the Top Ten, but the real breakthrough was Randy Newman's "Short People." Parliament/Funkadelic is having a similar psychological effect in black music. Like these two acts and unlike the punks, Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band are both humorously and musically accessible. Their stance as over-the-hill wimps is just unthreatening enough that hopelessly corrupt radio programmers might play their music. I hope so. (RS 264)

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...2308/van_halen

Were all critics this harsh on CVH and DLR back in their heyday?..I think its still going on, I have to hear quite often from these dish rags about how Def Leppard is better
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Rolling Stone basically shit on CVH while they were around, finally gave Roth a coverstory when he was just too famous to be ignored, and finally blathered on and on about how great Van Halen was only after Hagar joined the band.

I will say that particular review wasn't quite as negative as some of the others RS made about the band, though.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    01-12-2013 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Cream magazine loved Van Halen with Dave, and they were more of a punk rock magazine, but for some reason they made the cover of Cream several times with great pics and interviews, that magazine had great taste!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
    Cream magazine loved Van Halen with Dave, and they were more of a punk rock magazine, but for some reason they made the cover of Cream several times with great pics and interviews, that magazine had great taste!!
    Far better than Circus or Hit Parader, that's for fucking sure.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Circus & Hit Parader were/are kids magazines..........

CREEM had some substance.....

ROLLINGSTONE was run by granola eatting hippies who thought CLASSIC VAN HALEN was too loud & rude....

and DAMN STRAIGHT aboot that....they kicked everybodies ass when they hit the scene in the late 70's..............

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2012 @ 09:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I used to get KERRANG! magazine. DLR only made the cover once, CVH never. Ironically, VH 1 is listed as #2 on their list of greatest heavy metal albums of all time. Go figger. I used to think it was a cool mag until I realized how Hagar-slanted they are. How does Fair Warning not make that list? The whole thing is shit anyway. Brian Adams?
    Here's the list.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/warpig...s_of_all_time/
    Last edited by Mt. Krakalak; 03-29-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2007 @ 12:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Root boy slim and the sex change band with the rootettes? Was that Gaygars first attempt at a solo act?

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Well, I CAN tell you this for certain - for MANY years, it was Van Halen's policy to not to appear on the cover of any magazine at all unless they were the ONLY ones on the cover (meaning you wouldn't see, oh, Van Halen, Joan Jett, Aerosmith and Kiss together on the same issue of any magazine - you'd see Van Halen/DLR/Eddie alone or Joan Jett, Aerosmith and Kiss - no leeway at all with that). I'm not sure exactly when that started, but I do know that it was hard policy throughout the Hagar era, at least.

It wasn't until Ray Danniels came aboard after Ed's death that that policy was revoked. I knew a guy who worked for Hit Parader back in the day, part of the magazine cover team, and asked him why I never saw Van Halen on the cover all that often (even if there was a large story inside about Van Halen, interview or something to promote or whatever), and that was the answer he gave me...

So...take that for what it's worth...again, I don't know if that policy applied during the DLR era or not, but I do know it applied very much during Hagars term...

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Atomic Dyver
    Root boy slim and the sex change band with the rootettes? Was that Gaygars first attempt at a solo act?
    Nope..Some lame band that was never heard from again..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Boy_Slim

Released at the same time as VH I, on the same label, but seem rather lame in comparison to the mighty VH..
    I love how the idiot reviewer compares The first record, which to me is the greatest achievement in recording music history to fucking Reo Speedwagon and Boston. Fucking Puh-lease....None of those lame bands had the energy that CVH had, the Frontman that DLR had and the Guitairs skills the Eddie Brought to the table.

It really pisses me off when Idiots like this get away with writing such mindless dribble.

Thread Information