THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Mark St. John Is Dead

KISSONLINE.com

Sad to report that Mark Norton aka Mark St. John, KISS' lead guitarist on Animalize, passed away this morning of a cerebral hemorrhage. Mark was 51 years old.

KISS remembers Mark for his contributions and sends their condolences and deepest sympathies to his family and friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sucks ass.....I thought he was a decent guitarist.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Damn...too many rock musicians leaving us too early these days....

That sucks....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't get into revolving door-era Kiss at all, but 51 is too young to go. Especially from that kind of thing which doesn't always have any warnings.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

The Sophisticated Savage
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thats to bad. He was a great player. Wish he could have done more with Kiss. RIP
    [

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...

I`m sorry that the guys dead but he was the worst guitarist Kiss ever had.

I`ve no idea why he ever got the job.

"Animalize" has no memorable lead licks that I can think of, the one song everyone remembers ("Heavens on fire") has no solo in it.

After Kiss he disappeared up his own arse.

I don`t want to sound harsh but that`s the way it is.

RIP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sitting on a park bench!

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    R.I.P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mr Badguy
    Well...

"Animalize" has no memorable lead licks that I can think of, the one song everyone remembers ("Heavens on fire") has no solo in it.

RIP
    Agreed.

He got his 15 minutes of fame.

Most never do...

R.I.P.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Didn't he have some type of disease that caused him to quit Kiss?

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BrownSound1
    Didn't he have some type of disease that caused him to quit Kiss?
    Officially, yes.

He had some kind of syndrome that made his hands swell up.

However, when he got better the band found that he had trouble playing in rhythm with the band and wouldn`t play solos note-for-note, he was much more into improvisation, and that wasn`t what they wanted.

You won`t read that part in the official "kisstory".

He was fired after three gigs and his stand in Bruce Kulick got the job and kept it for ten years.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    His playing sucked.

I could give a fuck that this happened.

I mean, yeah, it's sad.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not at all impressive guitarist but still too bad. RIP
    Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...

RIP
    You're out of your mind...

He was a very good, borderline great guitarist...

He could no longer play because his hand was basically arthritic (I forget the exact disease he had), which is why he was replaced on tour.

He subsequently became an alcoholic and music store salesman after all that.

If you think Bruce Kulick was a better axeman, dude, all I can say is clean out your fucking ears...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bruce Kulick is actually the least interesting guitarist KISS had...

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    You're out of your mind...

He was a very good, borderline great guitarist...

He could no longer play because his hand was basically arthritic (I forget the exact disease he had), which is why he was replaced on tour.

He subsequently became an alcoholic and music store salesman after all that.

If you think Bruce Kulick was a better axeman, dude, all I can say is clean out your fucking ears...
    Could he play?

Yes.

Was he as good as Ace or Vinnie?

Hell no.

He never auditioned for Kiss and was hired on the recommendation of Grover Jackson, which was a stupid decision by Kiss who were under pressure from Polygram to get a record out.

Do I think Kulick was better than St John?

Yes, because he played the way he was required to and was never in danger of stealing the spotlight from Gene and Paul who had enough of that from Ace and Vinnie.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mark St. John (born Mark Leslie Norton February 7, 1956 in Hollywood, California Š April 5, 2007) was a guitarist best known for his short stint with the rock band KISS.
    St. John was featured on the album, "Animalize" recorded during mid-1984. During work for the album, St. John clashed with the other members of the band, and eventually developed arthritis (Reiter's Syndrome), which caused his hands and arms to swell. He was all but unable to perform live as a member of KISS, and only played three (one in full) shows during the "Animalize" tour, with Bruce Kulick filling in for the rest. He was officially replaced by Kulick on December 8, 1984.
    St. John's only video appearance with KISS is in the video for "Heaven's On Fire". Regardless, Mark played on KISSÕ most successful studio album of the unmasked period and any line-up apart from the originals.
    Before joining KISS, St. John was a well known and respected teacher and guitarist for the SoCal cover band Front Page. Musicians from all over SoCal would follow Front Page just to see what Mark would do next. Mark also worked in a band featuring David Donato (Vocals), J.R. Saenz (Drums), Glenn Hughes (Vocals/Bass). The loose group apparently recorded some demos with producer Andy Johns which led to Donato's equally short tenure with another legendary band: Black Sabbath.Garry Sharpe-Young/Rockdetector
    Following his departure from KISS, Mark reconnected with David Donato and formed White Tiger, becoming the first ex-KISS guitarist to release an album (1986, pre-dating both Ace Frehley and Vinnie Vincent's efforts). The band also included Mark's younger brother, Michael, on bass. While the independent release did well on that level, and the band gigged around California, they didn't manage to break and split while working on demos for a second album in 1988. St. John teamed up with Jeff Scott Soto in 1988 to make a demo. Mark also did some session work performing lead guitar on "Livin' For My Lord" on Ken Tamplin's 1990 album, "Axe To Grind." Ken is an insiprational Christian rocker more famed for his involvement in the band "Shout". Needless to say, Tamplin has also cowritten material with Gene Simmons of KISS.
    St. John made a demo in 1990 with fellow former KISS member Peter Criss. This band, known as "The Keep," was essentially White Tiger, with Peter Criss replacing Brian Fox on drums and David Donato using the alias Michael McDonald. This lineup performed live just once, on May 2, 1990 at a drum clinic at the Guitar Center music store in Lawndale, CA.
    When the band started shopping their demo (credited as "Peter Criss") around the response was universally negative. One cassette demo to circulate simply featured "Love For Sale," "Long Time," and "All Night Long," though they had also covered Lee Michaels' 1971 hit "Do Ya Know What I Mean," and had other original material such as "Between The Lines." By early 1991, the difficulty shopping the demo, and Mark's need to get on with making a living, led to friction between he and Peter and he left the band (which eventually became "Criss").
    He was in a short lived band with Phil Naro called the Mark St. John Project that released a limited edition EP in 1999. He later released an all instrumental CD in 2003 called "Magic Bullet Theory."
    In later years, St. John did not make many public appearances. However, he was rumored to have returned to his pre-KISS gig as a guitar instructor in the SoCal area.
    St. John died on the morning of April 5, 2007 of a cerebral hemorrhage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_St._John

Wow, a guy dies and people want to rip on him for not being a great guitarist, well we NEVER found out what he was all about but I can tell anyone with 100% certainty that KISS wouldn't put up a poor playing lead guitarist, they never have.

Those that have bashed on everyone after Frehley are fools for doing so. Which one of you idiots would stand up and audition for a band like KISS and turn them down? Which one of you have what it takes to actually get a call from KISS to audition in person?You really think they'd pick someone just becasue they could play their catalog? FOOLS! Better go back and really listen to what they do. Also, it's not like they were going to get creative control of KISS with Gene and Paul at the helm of their band! "Carnival of Souls" is about as close as it got to "Lick It Up" with Gene and Paul letting others contribute fully to a project.

The guy was an awesome guitarist that had an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity only to have his body give out at the most inopportune moment. I'm willing to cut the guy some slack

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Rikk
    Bruce Kulick is actually the least interesting guitarist KISS had...
    True. Competent, but bland.

Although, I love his live playing on "Cold Gin." He sort of reinvented it with a faster tempo...

And then of course he slagged Dave...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Could he play?

Yes.

Was he as good as Ace or Vinnie?

Hell no.

Ace is the best of the lot. I think Mark may have been more technically sound. But no one beats the original in his pre-dependency days. Ace was a creative, soulful player and fun to listen too...

And I like his playing more than I like Vinnie's, who is a vastly overrated player who sped the tape up (did he not?). He was good, but also a souless-speed wanker at times.

And St. John's work on "Thrills in the Night," well he just kills with his skills.

He never auditioned for Kiss and was hired on the recommendation of Grover Jackson, which was a stupid decision by Kiss who were under pressure from Polygram to get a record out.

Do I think Kulick was better than St John?

Yes, because he played the way he was required to and was never in danger of stealing the spotlight from Gene and Paul who had enough of that from Ace and Vinnie.
    Well, if you want to make it all about Gene and Paul, fine. But they turned Kiss into a dumbass powerballad hairband in order to stay relevant, which is when I lost interest (after the Animalize Tour). Fine. All things being equal, I'd prefer that Ace stayed, when the music was the best.

And as for Vinnie, I'm pretty sure their big hit with him didn't really have a solo either: "Lick It Up!"

I could be wrong, I haven't heard it in a while. But the whole non-solo thing you mentioned earlier was indicative more of Kiss wanting hits rather than a commentary on it's players...

But had St. John not had his problem, I'd bet he'd still be with them...

RIP

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    Mark St. John (born Mark Leslie Norton February 7, 1956 in Hollywood, California Š April 5, 2007) was a guitarist best known for his short stint with the rock band KISS.
    St. John was featured on the album, "Animalize" recorded during mid-1984. During work for the album, St. John clashed with the other members of the band, and eventually developed arthritis (Reiter's Syndrome), which caused his hands and arms to swell. He was all but unable to perform live as a member of KISS, and only played three (one in full) shows during the "Animalize" tour, with Bruce Kulick filling in for the rest. He was officially replaced by Kulick on December 8, 1984.
    St. John's only video appearance with KISS is in the video for "Heaven's On Fire". Regardless, Mark played on KISSÕ most successful studio album of the unmasked period and any line-up apart from the originals.
    Before joining KISS, St. John was a well known and respected teacher and guitarist for the SoCal cover band Front Page. Musicians from all over SoCal would follow Front Page just to see what Mark would do next. Mark also worked in a band featuring David Donato (Vocals), J.R. Saenz (Drums), Glenn Hughes (Vocals/Bass). The loose group apparently recorded some demos with producer Andy Johns which led to Donato's equally short tenure with another legendary band: Black Sabbath.Garry Sharpe-Young/Rockdetector
    Following his departure from KISS, Mark reconnected with David Donato and formed White Tiger, becoming the first ex-KISS guitarist to release an album (1986, pre-dating both Ace Frehley and Vinnie Vincent's efforts). The band also included Mark's younger brother, Michael, on bass. While the independent release did well on that level, and the band gigged around California, they didn't manage to break and split while working on demos for a second album in 1988. St. John teamed up with Jeff Scott Soto in 1988 to make a demo. Mark also did some session work performing lead guitar on "Livin' For My Lord" on Ken Tamplin's 1990 album, "Axe To Grind." Ken is an insiprational Christian rocker more famed for his involvement in the band "Shout". Needless to say, Tamplin has also cowritten material with Gene Simmons of KISS.
    St. John made a demo in 1990 with fellow former KISS member Peter Criss. This band, known as "The Keep," was essentially White Tiger, with Peter Criss replacing Brian Fox on drums and David Donato using the alias Michael McDonald. This lineup performed live just once, on May 2, 1990 at a drum clinic at the Guitar Center music store in Lawndale, CA.
    When the band started shopping their demo (credited as "Peter Criss") around the response was universally negative. One cassette demo to circulate simply featured "Love For Sale," "Long Time," and "All Night Long," though they had also covered Lee Michaels' 1971 hit "Do Ya Know What I Mean," and had other original material such as "Between The Lines." By early 1991, the difficulty shopping the demo, and Mark's need to get on with making a living, led to friction between he and Peter and he left the band (which eventually became "Criss").
    He was in a short lived band with Phil Naro called the Mark St. John Project that released a limited edition EP in 1999. He later released an all instrumental CD in 2003 called "Magic Bullet Theory."
    In later years, St. John did not make many public appearances. However, he was rumored to have returned to his pre-KISS gig as a guitar instructor in the SoCal area.

Wow, a guy dies and people want to rip on him for not being a great guitarist, well we NEVER found out what he was all about but I can tell anyone with 100% certainty that KISS wouldn't put up a poor playing lead guitarist, they never have.

Those that have bashed on everyone after Frehley are fools for doing so. Which one of you idiots would stand up and audition for a band like KISS and turn them down? Which one of you have what it takes to actually get a call from KISS to audition in person?You really think they'd pick someone just becasue they could play their catalog? FOOLS! Better go back and really listen to what they do. Also, it's not like they were going to get creative control of KISS with Gene and Paul at the helm of their band! "Carnival of Souls" is about as close as it got to "Lick It Up" with Gene and Paul letting others contribute fully to a project.

The guy was an awesome guitarist that had an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity only to have his body give out at the most inopportune moment. I'm willing to cut the guy some slack
    OMG! I just agreed 100% with a Dr.MaddVibe post...

That was a nice obit to him. I really think St. John could have been a great, with or without Kiss...

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, a guy dies and people want to rip on him for not being a great guitarist.
    I would have said the same when he was alive. You can`t change your opinion of someone just because they`re dead.

Even Kiss gave up on trying to replace Frehley. What have they got now? A guy who dresses up as Frehley and cops his licks note-for-note.

Nobody said the guy couldn`t play, I simply said he was the worst guitarist Kiss ever had. The way he played wasn`t my cup of tea or Kiss`s for that matter. What happened to him both then and now is a real tragedy and anyone who dies of a brain haemorrhage is damn unlucky. It doesn`t change the fact that he was a minor part of the Kiss story.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bump.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't care if he was a great player or not.

Fact is, 51 is no age to die in 2007.

R.I.P
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...

HE FORMED WHITE TIGER AND RELEASED AN ALBUM WITH THEM,AND A FEW YEARS AGO HE PUT OUT A SOLO ALBUM OF ALL INSTRUMENTAL COMPOSITIONS CALLED "MAGIC BULLET THEORY". SO YOU ARE NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT. HE ALSO APPEARED AT SEVERAL KISS CONVENTIONS AND JAMMED WITH TRIBUTE BANDS,AS WELL AS DID A Q&A, SAME AS MANY OTHER BANDS MEMBERS PAST AND PRESENT HAVE DONE,WITH THE EXCEPTION OR THE LATE GREAT ERIC CARR, WHO ALSO DIED OF A CEREBRAL HEMORRAGE, NOVEMBER 24,1991.

RIP

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oops, I apologize.

I will change that to:

He disappeared up his own arse to the record buying public but still remained popular with Kiss convention attendees.

How come when the band did a full convention tour in 1995, playing requests for fans and doing Q & As, they were portrayed as losers but when Mark St John did it he is some kind of hero?

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He remained popular with meth addicts though.....MY MY YEAH......JUST LISTEN TO THIS BBBAAAABBBBEEE........

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mezro posted a contemporary pic of St. John somewhere in the Sheep Pen. It was pretty obvious he was a heavy drinker...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's the pic:

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I've seen even scarier ones....Footnote or not, it's pretty fucked up that Gene and Paul dont acknowledge this on their own websites, just a quick blurb on their POS main site. Guess we shouldnt be too surprised, they've shortchanged Carr for the last 15 years....

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    We never really got the chance to hear what he could do. One album. Played one live gig with KISS. I think Animalize is a really good album. Paul and Gene over produced it, but the licks and solos are there. Bruce is ok, but man is he BORING. Shit tone too. Never stood up for himself for fear of being booted out of the band. I don't know if he was ever even a real member, probably just on contract the whole time.

I would like to have heard Mark get to make another album with KISS. Sad he died.
    This space for rent.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was 2 and a half gigs, but who's counting? I agree about Bruce "The Tree" Kulick.....anyone seen recent pics of him? Bald as fuck on top, but still hanging on to the long hair.....no, it's REALLY bad now!

RockNRoll's Real God!!
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

To be honest, what the fuck made Vinnie Vincent so great anyhow, all his albums did was give us Mark Slaughter anyway, his solos sucked and his music was lame too. I won't knock St. John, but hell lets call a spade a spade!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jill St. John's brother is dead?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by hankster
    To be honest, what the fuck made Vinnie Vincent so great anyhow, all his albums did was give us Mark Slaughter anyway, his solos sucked and his music was lame too. I won't knock St. John, but hell lets call a spade a spade!
    Vinnie is no legend either and (according to Gene and Paul (which doesn`t really mean shit)) has some major ego problems (like Gene and Paul don`t?).

But...

Kiss only ever made one album where the whole thing was solely written by the then current members of the band.

"Lick it up".

Vinnie has the most writing credits on it, more even than Gene and Paul.

He also wrote some good stuff for "Creatures..." and "Revenge".

He also scores points for fighting with Paul onstage and playing solos over his stage raps.

As far as I know he could be on skid row now, I remember him getting FIRED by HIS OWN BAND and filing for bankrupcy but that was a few years ago.

Where is he now?

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by hankster
    For starters, he was a damn good songwriter. I'd take him any day over Kulick, St. John, and Coffee Boy....

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

He also scores points for fighting with Paul onstage and playing solos over his stage raps.

Haha, yep. Dont forget extending his solo by ten minutes, and one night busting back into a solo while the band was back on stage, making G and P stand there watching like the fucking dildo's they are!

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...

RIP
    It's true.

Although 'he sounded like an angry bee' on Animalize, he had some shining moments ('Under The Gun').

RIP

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "under the gun" and and one othern track,"lonely is the hunter", i believe i read somewhere is bruce kulick,not mark st. john.

and the solo for"heaven's on fire" is played by paul stanley.

i may be wrong, and if i am,please anyone, feel free to correct me.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ace diamond
    "under the gun" and and one othern track,"lonely is the hunter", i believe i read somewhere is bruce kulick,not mark st. john.

and the solo for"heaven's on fire" is played by paul stanley.

i may be wrong, and if i am,please anyone, feel free to correct me.
    I`m pretty sure Kulick plays the fade out solo on "Murder in high heels", I don`t think he played on "Under the gun".

He did play on "Lonely is the hunter".

I read that Paul Stanley played some of the solo on "Get all you can take".

Did St John get sick before the LP was finished or did Kulick do the solos first and they kept the ones they liked?

How much did St John actually play on "Animalize" anyway, I get the impression that all the rhythm guitar tracks were done before he joined.

Thread Information