Thread: The Rumor Mill

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 09:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Shockey went ahead with the surgery...should be ready by preseason...we'll see...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Seems like that injury has a history of reoccurence. Even if he is back, it may be a step or two and BOOM, right back on DL.

Staying away from this guy in keeper leagues.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah...after a year of this shit...I would agree...

and nobody should waste a top 3 round pick on this guy at this point...

a Bavarro he is not...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd take him in the later rounds as a backup to my #1, he'd be worth that risk at this point. Hell, I know I would go Winslow over him for certain.

The Pro Bowl nod he got was bunk in my opinion.

2 TDs?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2 TD's....and how many games did he miss?

I like Winslow...even with the shitass Browns...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2 TDs in each of his first 2 seasons.

I'd take Winslow before Shockey with any team now.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not a big fan of the Browns though...I'd have a few ranked above him...Winslow that is...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh hell yeah.

I'd say Gonzo is still the top man. Heap is coming on. Shockey would be ahead of him if healthy.

Definitely have Winslow higher on keeper lists than seasonal.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

by Profootballtalk editor Mike Florio

POSTED 7:30 a.m. EDT, June 24, 2004

LIONS THIS YEAR'S BIG THING?

A league insider who knows a thing or two about assessing talent tells us that his surprise team for the 2004 season is the Detroit Lions.

It pains us to say it, because we historically haven't been big fans of G.M. Matt Millen or head coach Steve Mariucci. Millen has been flirting with termination for two years now, and Mooch has the demeanor of a guy caught somewhere between a sugar high and Tourette's Syndrome.

Still, the source says that the team has "had some great drafts in recent years."

The source added: "Despite what people want to say about Matt Millen, he has moved them in a positive direction. Being politically correct is not a prerequisite for managing an NFL roster."

No, but creating a sense that you're smarter than Homer Simpson is.

Then again, the emerging core of talent on the roster suggests that maybe it isn't.

Either way, things could get interesting in the NFC North this season. The Lions and Bears are on the rise. The Vikings have playoff-caliber talent. The Packers perennially are in postseason position. It wouldn't be a shocker to see both wild-card teams come out of the black-and-blue division.

THURSDAY ONE-LINERS

The Bears are bracing for a possible holdout by first-round DT Tommie Harris (we know it's technically not a holdout when a guy's not under contract, but unless someone can come up with a seven-letter word to describe the situation, we'll be responding to any e-mails on this topic with a variety of four-letter words).

The Pats have signed second-round DE Marquise Hill to a five-year, $3.075 million deal with $1.15 million up front and minimum salaries each season.

An influential private planning association in New York opposes the proposed $1.4 billion stadium complex in Manhattan for the Jets.

There's an interesting piece in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regarding the details surrounding the Jim Nantz/Greg Gumbel job swap at CBS Sports.

The Redskins will allow fans to come to attend training camp practices for two weeks, but then the doors will be shut as coach Joe Gibbs tries to capitalize on secrecy and surprise.

The Bears have cooled to the notion of signing LB Jason Gildon.

The Texans have signed sixth-round S Jamal Lord, another converted quarterback from Nebraska.

The Titans have been trying to improve the flexibility RB Jarrett Payton, who was roughly as limber as Jared Lorenzen when he first arrived.

Bucs DT Darrell Russell brings uncharacteristic size to a defensive line that he used to refer to as "the Wonder Midgets"; "[T]hey were all so small," Russell said. "You couldn't tell the difference between the linebackers and the D-line. All you saw were their stomachs, and that's how we'd tell which was the D-line.''

Bucs WR Sylvester Morris is out for the year with a torn ACL in his left knee.

The Giants have signed OL Mathias Nkwenti.

The Bears have hired former linebacker and special-teams standout Bobbie Howard as director of player development.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's that article...from the Post Gazette...

CBS -- Traded Jim Nantz for Greg Gumbel. No first-round picks involved. No salary-cap concerns. Oh, sure, there was some minor Sunday activity in the background: Lesley Visser swapped jobs with Bonnie Bernstein, moving from the "NFL Today" pregame to the game-day sideline, and then switched positions with Armen Keteyian by joining the first team (now Nantz and Phil Simms) and Keteyian moving to the second team (Dick Enberg and Dan Dierdorf).

Mostly, though, it was a one-for-one exchange.

The No. 1 studio guy for the No. 1 play-by-play guy on the network's AFC broadcasts.

It was a straight-up deal ... but, in some respects, it wasn't.

Sean McManus, CBS Sports' adult in charge, explained this Black Rock headquarters version of "Trading Spaces" thusly: "As my daddy used to say, if you stand still and don't change, you won't get any better." Hey, when your daddy's no less a sportscasting institution than Jim McKay, you take notes when he repeats the grocery list.

"There was no burning need to change the host of the 'NFL Today' program," McManus said, and funny he should address it that way. "This move, I think, will energize both Jim and Greg. Given a new assignment, a new challenge, I think they will step up to the challenge. I think both packages will be different, and both will be better."

Agreed. Change can be good. But, first, let's tune into the broadcasters' disappointment with the job switch.

"Nobody has any more love for CBS Sports than I do," Nantz said over a teleconference call, a quaver detectable in his voice. "This definitely will take me away from my family a lot more than they want me to and than I want to.

"This was Sean's call. This is what he sees for the future of CBS Sports," Nantz continued. Then, he let out a small laugh. "Greg said it so well: We live in a world here that's almost like make-believe. We get to go around and cover all these sporting events. Television so often is about ego and power instead of honor and humility. ... I did not push for this at all. Not one bit."

As for Gumbel, he sounded as if he had been asked to hand-deliver an anthrax bouquet to an enemy: "This is not an unpleasant assignment."

On the surface, which was where Nantz's emotions appeared to bubble, this looks like a demotion but actually is a parallel move. The network's next-biggest sports package, the NCAA men's basketball tournament, has Nantz, 45, as the No. 1 play-by-play guy and Gumbel as the studio host. This alteration gives Nantz a chance to become the next Curt Gowdy and call the network's top three properties: football, basketball and golf.

Beneath the surface, for Gumbel, 58, this has to feel like a demotion. After all, he so enjoyed his game times with Simms. When the studio-host subject arose 21*2 years ago inside the Heinz Field press box, Gumbel spoke these words to me: "I feel like I never want to go back to that. It was nice and it was fun, but that was then. It's far too exciting to be at the scene of a game."

He spent eight years as studio host on CBS and NBC pregames. You can still picture him in those Hell's Peacocks biker-gang, black leather jackets ...?

Now they rotate jobs, all because it's what the boss wants.

McManus talked about how he wants Nantz to call a Super Bowl. How CBS earlier put its golf producer and director, Lance Barrow and Mike Arnold, on the football first team -- something that should've been a neon sign to Nantz. How they decided to make across-the-board changes, even though game ratings were decent and the pregame ratings improved by 40 percent the past two years.

Fox took Cris Collinsworth off its fabulously successful studio set and shoved him into the first-team booth two years ago, and that worked out well ... mostly because it gave Collinsworth a couple of extra hours to yak. Nantz -- after growing bland as the pregame ringmaster of 11 different sidekicks -- is deft on his tush, so the AFC booth might prove to be where he belongs. (Although he better not call the AFC "a tradition unlike any other.")

And Gumbel is smooth, breezy and downright funny behind a studio desk, where he ought to help capture the star quality of Shannon Sharpe, harness the relatively untapped wit of Boomer Esiason and perhaps even elicit more personality from dry Dan Marino.

"To me, it's a readjustment," Gumbel said of the move that is hardly "CSI: AFC" or Jeff Probst-for-Ray Romano. "I don't see this any more or any less than trading one quarterback for" another.

Besides, nobody tunes in a telecast because of the announcers, as "Monday Night Football" now knows.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bears: Smith likes Terrell's progress

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Thursday, June 24, 2004

News

David Terrell made a spectacular leaping catch over corner R.W. McQuarters toward the end of practice on Wednesday. The wide receivers' grab caught the attention of Bears' head coach Lovie Smith. "That's what he said he's capable of doing, [so] we need to get him the ball," Smith told the Chicago Tribune. "We've gotten him the ball a few times and he has made some plays. I like his progress."

Views

Terrell will be fighting for the starting gig opposite Marty Booker during training camp. Second-year man Justin Gage is neck and neck with Terrell for the job. If Gage manages to eek out the starting spot, Terrell and his large contract are in danger of being released. If David plays half is well as he thinks he can this summer, however, his spot on the roster will be secure. It's a situation that bears watching for fantasy owners.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rumor mill: Beltran, Delgado and more

by Mike Harmon

June 24, 2004

The All-Star break is rapidly approaching. Close on its trail is the trade deadline. It's that fun time of year, particularly in fantasy leagues using only AL or NL player pools, where an infusion of useful players enter the league. You don't have to pray for the latest hotshot from the minors to save your squad; you get proven players.

Let's take a look at some of the players rumored to be changing addresses. I'll warn you in advance. The common denominator remains George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees.

Carlos Beltran, Kansas City Royals
    Beltran has been streaky with both his power and speed outbursts this season, but you can't argue with the results – 14 HR, 50 RBI, 14 Steals. Earlier this week a proposed trade was nixed that would have sent Beltran to the Houston Astros as part of a three-way deal with the A's. Then, a second deal that had Beltran on to Los Angeles was defeated when the Dodgers refused to deal the marvelous setup man Guillermo Mota.

A move to Los Angeles would impact his power numbers negatively, but a trip to Houston could propel Beltran to new heights. Either way, an entry into the National League has auction league owners counting their duckets and others praying to hit the top of the waiver priority list.

That leaves the two big sharks to swim into the picture: Boston and the New York Yankees. The downside of a trade to either of these teams is that they don't run much. With the massive power production of both lineups, the stolen base component of Beltran's value will be minimized. With that said, the short porches in right field at both Fenway and Yankee Stadium are mighty enticing.

Carlos Delgado, Toronto Blue Jays
    Delgado remains on the disabled list, but his name continues to swirl in the trade winds. As a 10/5 guy, he's got the right to veto any deal that comes down the pike. At the top of the list of suitors sit the Los Angeles Dodgers, who are looking for some added pop to the lineup. He would reunite with Shawn Green, whom fantasy owners would love to see any type of spark from. This move would also allow Green to move back to the outfield where he's more comfortable.

The Toronto Blue Jays have been a disappointment to date, languishing 14 games behind the division-leading Yankees in the standing and need to make a move. Naturally, they don't want to see Delgado coming back to haunt him every other series, so a move to the NL seems likely.

Jose Mesa, Pittsburgh Pirates
    As Pittsburgh begins its annual decline, Mesa has risen to the top of several teams' wish lists. The top two possible destinations for Mesa are Florida (not exactly sold on the acquisition of Billy Koch) and Oakland (the Arthur Rhodes era appears to be over already).

Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder and the boys would be excited to see any reliever actually hold a lead. You'd have to look back to 1999 for Mesa's last year as a closer in the AL, but he got the job done, albeit with a huge ERA and WHIP. Pitching in the spacious Network Associates Coliseum should help to mitigate the damage.

The next players may be temporarily off the market, as the Mariners are deluding themselves into believing they are back in the race following a three-game sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates. A shellacking at the hands of the Rangers might change that in a hurry.

Freddy Garcia, Seattle Mariners
    Garcia sits atop the New York Yankees wish list this trading season. They're attempting to dangle several top prospects, including lefty Alex Graman, to get Seattle to pull the trigger. Also in the mix are the Chicago White Sox, who are desperate for another starter, and the Mets, who are still in the hunt in the NL East.

Imagine this guy with a team that scores runs in bunches as they do in New York or Chicago. His 3.21 ERA would have him approaching double-digit victories. Given the soft offense of Seattle to date and the stories of Garcia being off the market, the arguments that will allow you to steal him from his owner in your league are already made.

Jamie Moyer, Seattle Mariners
    Like Garcia, Moyer is allegedly off the block. Don't believe it. The Yankees are making a hard pitch to acquire him, and Moyer himself has wondered aloud of the glory of pitching in the Big Apple. Pitching in the AL East could be hazardous to Moyer's ERA and WHIP totals, even though his win total would multiply in a hurry.

Another bidder for Moyer is the Los Angeles Dodgers. This would be a boon for fantasy owners in NL-only leagues, as the big ballpark in Los Angeles would see a number of flyballs die at the track.

Randy Johnson, Arizona Diamondbacks
    D-backs owner Jerry Colangelo vehemently denies any truth to this rumor, and I highly doubt that it will occur. Even with the Diamondbacks firmly entrenched at the bottom of the NL West with the Colorado Rockies, Johnson remains the face of this team. With that said, Big Stein normally gets what he wants, and there's no doubt that having Johnson ending his career in pinstripes stands high on his wish list.

There are a number of other stars potentially on the move, including Magglio Ordonez of the White Sox, Alfonso Soriano back to New York in a Mets uniform and Barry Zito of the A's. I'll keep watch over the activity and report back on any new names dredged to the surface.

Until then, enjoy rivalry week.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analy...league=fantasy

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...the Beltran deal happened...can't say that I'm upset by my best outfielder roaming that hitter's park...

and they run a bit...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Jose Mesa, Pittsburgh Pirates
    As Pittsburgh begins its annual decline, Mesa has risen to the top of several teams' wish lists. The top two possible destinations for Mesa are Florida (not exactly sold on the acquisition of Billy Koch) and Oakland (the Arthur Rhodes era appears to be over already).
    Now that Oakland got Dotel, scratch the A's off of the list....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

POSTED 7:46 a.m. EDT, June 25, 2004

BENGALS PUSHING FOR KITNA?

Word out of Cincy is that, contrary to the public gushings of coach Marvin Lewis regarding quarterback Carson Palmer's development, the consensus among the players is that they want Jon Kitna to remain the starter.

The concern, we hear, is that Palmer isn't picking up the system as well as advertised, and that he's not the leader that Kitna is.

The Bengals, of course, have little choice but to give the job to Palmer. He's getting paid like the No. 1 overall draft pick that he was in 2003. Keeping him on the bench would be a concession to the NFL world that you screwed up in drafting him.

And, as we see it, that's yet another reason for not taking a quarterback high in the draft -- unless he's a freak of nature like Falcons quarterback Mike Vick. With the success of players like Tom Brady and Marc Bulger and Jake Delhomme and Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon and Trent Green and Kurt Warner and Jeff Garcia, the risk of taking a guy at the top of round one who might not work out seems to outweigh the rewards.

We're not suggesting that Palmer is the next David Klinger and/or Akili Smith. The point is that, while coach Lewis is thrusting Palmer into the lineup, the players think that they might have a better alternative in Kitna. If that feeling lingers, the stage is set for problems in the locker room.

FRIDAY MORNING ONE-LINERS

Bucs coach Jon Gruden says he's ready to move forward without WR Keenan McCardell, who is threatening to hold out for the entire season.

Surgery on Titans DE Bo Schobel's foot was successful, but coach Jeff Fisher said that the condition of the bone was "worse than expected."

The Seahawks stadium officially has been renamed Qwest Field, which if you ask us sounds more than a bit qweer.

Bucs RB Mike Alstott is anxious to play again after missing most of 2003 due to a spinal injury.

The Seahawks have signed sixth-round DT Craig Terrill to what the Seattle Times describes as a "multi-year contract" (way to dig for the hard facts, guys).

With Cowboys WR Dedric Ward having hardware inserted into a freshly-broken foot, he's the third NFL player to be "screwed" this week.

The Rams have signed seventh-round C Larry Turner to a three-year contract.

Titans QB Steve McNair treated his former backup, Neil O'Donnell, like No. 2 on Thursday, initially snubbing the fledging WTVF-TV sports guy.

No Tampa player is wearing the jersey numbers of John Lynch (47) or Warren Sapp (99), but rookie S Will Allen will be wearing WR Keyshawn Johnson's No. 19.

POSTED 10:07 p.m. EDT, June 24, 2004

STEELERS BADMOUTHING GILDON?

A league source tells us that free-agent linebacker Jason Gildon is still unsigned for two primary reasons -- he's overpriced and his old team, the Steelers, could be giving out a negative recommendation regarding Gildon when other teams call.

Though we don't know for sure that the Steelers are indeed saying bad things about the veteran defender, we find it hard to believe that a team like the Bengals, who play the Steelers twice per season as AFC North competitors, would take such input with anything more than a grain of salt and a burst of man-made methane.

It's more likely to conclude that Gildon is looking for more coin than the market will bear. With as many as four teams interested in acquiring his services, Gildon is in a better position than most free agents who have been languishing on the shelf for weeks if not months (see Smith, Antowain, who actually got a tryout with the Bucs on Thursday).

GREEN SAYS 10-4 TO 10-6

Arizona coach Denny Green told the Tempe Chamber of Commerce of Tuesday that the Cardinals could win 10 games in 2004.

In 1992, Green led the Vikings to an 11-5 record and the NFC Central championship, losing 24-7 to the Redskins in Joe Gibbs' last postseason win before 11 seasons in mothballs.

Green's prediction, as we've recently explained, is justified. The guy is a winner, thriving under less-than-ideal circumstances in Minnesota, where there was little stability at quarterback, a spate of injury problems in the offensive backfield, and a defense that disintegrated after Tony Dungy left after the 1995 season.

The veteran coach's positive words are the most brazen talk from a Cardinals coach since Buddy Ryan announced that "there's a winner in town" when he took the gig in 1994. Ryan, however, was arrogant. Green, in contrast, is supremely confident, and he knows how to get players mentally prepared to accept the concept of winning.

Green's biggest asset in a league rife with parity are his skills on game day, where he seized many a win in Minny merely by outcoaching the opposition. With few teams ready to take the Cardinals seriously (especially with those awful uniforms featuring mildly perturbed birdie on the helmet), look for the Cards to surprise plenty of teams as they build on that thrilling season-ending win over Green's former team, the Vikings.

On a different subject, Green sounded off about Giants quarterback Eli Manning's draft-day power play, in which he forced his way out of San Diego.

"Never allow a snotty-nosed, 23-year-old guy" to do that, Green said.

WILLIAMS BACK TO SCHOOL

The Associated Press reports that receiver Mike Williams, who was blocked from the NFL draft via the backwash of the Mo Clarett case, has enrolled in summer classes at USC.

The move by Williams is an apparent effort to get his academic affairs in order in the event the NCAA grants his request to return to school.

It's still a longshot, in our view, for Williams to get another season of eligibility at USC. Our guess is that Williams is going through the motions in order to justify a potential legal challenge regarding the NFL's handling of his unvitation to the April draft.

ALTERNATIVE TO "HOLDOUT"?

On Thursday morning, we explained in passing that we'll use the term "holdout" when referring to rookie draft picks who chose not to attend training camp due to a contract impasse because there's no other quick and easy way to explain their status as players who have not yet reached an agreement with their respective team, and thus are not required by law to attend preseason practice sessions.

And when we said that we'll continue to use "holdout" unless someone can come up with a seven-letter alternative, we didn't really expect PFT Nation to put on its collective thinking cap (or, as the case may be, dunce cap) to come up with ideas.

But thanks to all of you who sent in suggestions. Most were entertaining, some made no sense, a few were profane, and all were appreciated.

The most common idea, which indeed has seven letters, was . . .

"Asshole."

THURSDAY EVENING ONE-LINERS

Bucs WR Keenan McCardell is prepared to sit out the entire season due to his displeasure with his contract.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher expects the status of RB Eddie George to be resolved by the start of training camp.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says that planning for Super Bowl XL in Motown will not be affected by the fact that there were IX non-fatal shootings on Wednesday at Detroit's fireworks celebration.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs is trying to catch up on 11 years of evolution in the slang that players use.

The Cardinals have signed DT Nate Hobgood-Chittick.

Titans rookie DE Antwan Odom gave the team a scare when someone stepped on his arm during practice.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't see the Rooney's badmouthing any of their players...

can't see it happen...

depends who they called though...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds like an agent ploy.

Rooney's would be above that in my opinion.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...Gildon's a good linebacker...no doubt...best days are behind him...and he shouldn't get top dollar...which I'm sure he's looking for...

I think the longer he waits, the more he'll have to settle for...

I don't see a Gildon bidding war...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bit Ian Gold in the ass waiting so long, had to take an incentive laden deal with Tampa.

Gildon the best of what's out there though and if healthy, will still get after that QB effectively in the right scheme.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah...I like Gildon roaving between the backing crew...and as a down lineman...he can be effective using his agility...and sure as hell knows how to get after the qb...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, that said, he's definitely lost a step, probably two steps....

And, the team he tried to sign with, Buffalo, is now coached by someone who's seen him every practice and game for several years, Mike Mularkey...

So in that respect, I don't think the Steelers NEEDED to say anything negative...

But just as Poj said, the Steelers don't play that kind of dirty pool...

Cleveland, yes, but Pittsburgh, hell no....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Forgot about Mularkey being there.

Maybe Gildon's asking price still too high.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Who knows at this point...

I'm really surprised that it took this long...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

POSTED 10:01 a.m. EDT, June 26, 2004

TEXANS FIRST TO SIGN A FIRST-ROUNDER

Western Michigan defensive end Jason Babin, the first first-rounder draft pick in the history of the school, is the first member of the 2004 first-round class to strike a deal, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Serious discussions have been occurring since June 15, and the 27th overall selection, taken by the Texans, could be under contract soon.

Babin will play outside linebacker in the Texans' 3-4 scheme, and he currently is penciled in as a starter in his rookie year.

The numbers aren't yet available. In 2003, 27th overall pick Larry Johnson, a running back, received a $3.3 million bonus on a seven-year deal worth $1.2 million per year.

Babin's deal is for five or six years. As we've previously mentioned, the absence of a CBA extension is preventing teams from using seven-year contracts, thereby forcing a greater chunk of the bonus money into the first year of the deal, when the rookie pool must also be navigated.

SATURDAY ONE-LINERS

Former Bengals flash-in-the-pan Ickey Woods is now coaching a Cincinnati women's football team, for which his wife plays.

The Chargers have signed seventh-round OT Shane Olivea to a three-year deal.

Holy Rod Woodson! Titans CB Tony Beckham, who tore an ACL on April 15, could be cleared to resume running this week.

The Rams, who apparently are realizing it's much easier to sell tickets with a Super Bowl-caliber team, are offering two versions of a four-game ticket package (both of which, of course, include a preseason contest as one of the four games).

DE Marco Coleman has opted not to retire two weeks after telling Broncos coach Mike Shanahan that he was done.

John Elway and Joe Montana will face off in a flag football game on August 20 to commemorate Elway's induction into the Hall of Fame (hey, guys -- couldn't you have picked an opposing quarterback who didn't hang 55 points on Elway's Broncos in the Super Bowl?).

http://www.profootballtalk.com

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good to see Ickey's career aspirations coming to fruition...chripes...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

POSTED 7:46 a.m. EDT, June 28, 2004

GILDON DEAL COMING?

We're hearing that former Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon soon could be under contract with the Packers, the Bills, or the Bengals.

Multiple league sources have told us that, contrary to our recent suggestion that the delay in Gildon getting a deal done traces to the fact that the Steelers are badmouthing him, there are no hard feelings between Gildon and his former team, and that the team hasn't been giving bad references to potential suitors.

Word is that the Gildon camp is waiting for one of the three teams interested in Gildon's services to step up, which suggests to us that Gildon is prepared at this point to go to the high bidder -- and that factors like whether the team is in position to compete for the postseason and/or the Super Bowl aren't a consideration.

BLEIER'S BLING BOGARTED

Three of former Steelers fullback Rocky Bleier's Super Bowl rings have gone missing, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The rings and his wallet were lifted from an unlocked room at the Charlotte Convention Center while he was speaking to the Moose Convention. Bleier's fourth ring was on his hand.

Bleier previously sold the rings to his attorney for $40,000 two days before filing for bankruptcy in 1996. He later purchased the rings back.

In an unrelated story, three Super Bowl rings currently are for sale on ebay. Go figure.

MONDAY ONE-LINERS

The Arizona media already is more fond of Denny Green than the Minnesota scribes ever were.

After three straight Arena Bowl losses, Arizona Rattlers coach Danny White, a former Cowboys quarterback, could be looking for an NFL gig.

Steelers RB Jerome Bettis is skeptical about reports that the Steelers will return to a ground-based offense in 2004; "I don't believe it 'til I see it," Bettis said. "They said it last year, and it didn't happen."

Broncos WR Rod Smith is a shining example of how pro athletes should handle their money.

Former Cardinals C Jason Starkey is still hoping to land with another team for 2004.

Jacksonville is looking for a catchy new slogan as it prepares for the Super Bowl; here's three that probably won't make the cut -- "We're Not Named After Michael" or "We Still Can't Figure Out How We Got An NFL Team" or "We Make Up For The Fact That We Have Only Three Hotels By Jacking The Price Up Really High On The Handful Of Occasions Every Year When Folks Actually Have A Reason To Come Here."

POSTED 11:23 p.m. EDT, June 27, 2004

FINS READY TO GO WITHOUT O-GUN

Word out of South Florida is that the Dolphins are prepared to proceed to training camp and the regular season without the 2003 AFC sack leader, defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.

Ogunleye, a restricted free agent, refused to sign a one-year tender in excess of $1.8 million. Based in part on threats by Ogunleye to show up anywhere from seven to ten games into the regular season in order to gain another season toward unrestricted free agency while participating in the minimum number of game, the Fins rolled back the tender two weeks ago, into the $400,000 range.

We're told that Ogunleye also will make $300,000 in incentives earned under his 2003 deal.

Despite a belief in some circles that the Fins won't want to embark on an arguably critical campaign without Ogunleye, the front office is by all appearances holding firm in its position -- refusing to cave in to Ogunleye's demands.

Questions also remain regarding Ogunleye's real value. Some of the personnel execs with whom we've spoken explained that Ogunleye benefits significantly from the presence of Jason Taylor on the other end of the line, and that consideration of a player's supporting cast is a fundamental component of any evaluation of his overall worth.

On the other hand, the decision of the Seahawks to pour a $14 million bonus into Grant Wistrom's pockets leads us to believe that Ogunleye could at least do that well if allowed to hit the open market.

The next topic to consider in the Ogunleye soap opera is whether the Fins will slap the franchise tag upon him -- like they did with Taylor -- when he qualifies for unrestricted free agency in March 2005. And with both sides digging in their heels deeper than ever, we have a feeling that this one still could be playing itself out next year at this time.

DHANI IS A DUMMY?

With reports emerging that Eagles linebacker Dhani Jones is having trouble picking up the team's defensive system, we're reminded of info we picked up from a Giants source when Jones made the jump from one NFC East team to another.

"The kid is dumb as a rock," we were told.

Jones is one of the guys who got a deal sweeter than the self-negotiated contract finagled by Tedy Bruschi with the Patriots (scroll down).

Regarding Bruschi, we received plenty of e-mails 'splaining that Bruschi's decision to take less money in Beantown is part of a lifelong design by the defensive standout to make a living off of the rock-star status he's achieved.

Others have reminded us that the deal is in line with comparable deals signed by inside linebackers -- and that it's a solid contract for a 31-year-old defender whose career arguably peaked last season. Also, many think that Bruschi was willing to give up some coin because he knows the team will use the extra money in good ways, to help the team remain among the NFL's elite.

While we don't question any of that, confirmation that Jones is another Wonderlic wunderkind makes us think that Bruschi could have squeezed out more money without upsetting the salary cap applecart.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

1. How stupid could you be to put rings you just sold on ebay...morons...

2. If the Steelers were smart...they'd run the ball a ton...of course...this all will go back to that offensive line...if Bettis is gaining 1 yard a carry...my guess...they'll throw...lmfao...what an idiot...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No doubt. No line, no nothing basically.

Bus isn't the young and spry he once was, he needs some big road gratin' fucks in front of him. Staley is tough, but isn't super elusive.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Steelers RB Jerome Bettis is skeptical about reports that the Steelers will return to a ground-based offense in 2004; "I don't believe it 'til I see it," Bettis said. "They said it last year, and it didn't happen."
    What a dumbshit....

If you can't gain two yards a carry because your O-line is fucked up, or perhaps because the running back in question has lost a step or two, why would you continually try to run the ball ??

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

POSTED 8:03 a.m. EDT, June 29, 2004

WARD WAFFLING ON HOLDOUT?

Steelers receiver Hines Ward wasn't happy with the team's decision to give Tommy Maddox a contract extension with two years left on his contract, since Ward still has two years left on a deal that he too has outplayed.

Ward hinted that he might stay away from training camp in protest, and his recent comments on the subject suggest that the issue is still up in the air.

Asked if he'll report on July 30, Ward told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

"I hope. As far as I know I am. Until Eugene [Parker] tells me otherwise, I am planning on reporting to camp. That is my plan to be there. I never even considered [being late]. That's the last resort, I think. We don't see it being a problem.

"I'm waiting to see what [Parker] wants me to do," Ward said. "I don't know 'what-if.' I ask myself that question, too."

Frankly, we're not sure we buy the whole "blame the agent" thing. If Ward stays away, it's his decision to do so. And if he's letting his agent make those decisions for him, he needs an agent who understands that the agent, in the end, doesn't make those decisions.

It could be part of a subtle plan by Ward to skip a few days of camp in order to get the team's attention, and then say Parker told him to do it in order to avoid the negative P.R.

Speaking of P.R., Ward recently visited U.S. troops and hospitals in Europe this month.

"They read about athletes saying 'We support the troops,' but actually one of us taking time out to go see them up close, they got enjoyment out of that more than seeing it in a newspaper."

Hmmm. Though we respect anyone with name recognition who takes time to go visit the troops overseas, we're wondering whether Parker, as Hines would say, told him to do it, in order to help deflect some of the criticism that will be heaped on the veteran wideout if/when he holds out.

As the article in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review begins:

Doctors, nurses and soldiers -- even a boy who lost both legs in Afghanistan -- had the same question for Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward when he visited U.S. troops and hospitals in Europe earlier this month.
    "They wanted to know what is going on with my contract," Ward said.

Yeah, right. As if little Jimmy with the two stumps gives two sh-ts about whether Hines will make $2.5 million or $4.5 million in 2004 for using the things that little Jimmy doesn't have anymore. Please.

Our advice to Hines -- please be glad you got legs of your own and start using them again come July 30.

TUESDAY ONE-LINERS

There are conflicting views as to whether the Redskins are interested in trading for Dolphins DE Adewale Ogunleye.

Former Steelers QB Terry Bradshaw had this to say about disgruntled WR Plaxico Burress: "Plexico, Plaxico, Fiberglass, whatever his name is, if I was him I'd shut up and get my (butt) in here and earn your money. And if not, let him go, unload him, 'cause if you're only playing for the money, anyway, we're not going to win with him. I hate guys like that."

Redskins TE David Ware was arrested in Houston for public intoxication (and Playmakers is a gross exaggeration . . . oh, hell, you know what we're thinking).

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2 fantastic quotes...leave it to Bradshaw with this one...

"Plexico, Plaxico, Fiberglass, whatever his name is, if I was him I'd shut up and get my (butt) in here and earn your money. And if not, let him go, unload him, 'cause if you're only playing for the money, anyway, we're not going to win with him. I hate guys like that."
    and...

Doctors, nurses and soldiers -- even a boy who lost both legs in Afghanistan -- had the same question for Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward when he visited U.S. troops and hospitals in Europe earlier this month. "They wanted to know what is going on with my contract," Ward said.

Yeah, right. As if little Jimmy with the two stumps gives two sh-ts about whether Hines will make $2.5 million or $4.5 million in 2004 for using the things that little Jimmy doesn't have anymore. Please.

Our advice to Hines -- please be glad you got legs of your own and start using them again come July 30.
    bwahahahahahhaa...

got a couple of good receivers goin here in Pittsburgh...could you imagine Swann and Stallworth goin' there with this bullshit?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bradshaw..."we're not going to win with this guy"

there was a day he wouldn't have said "we're"

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Trade rumors are picking up

By Tom Gatto - SportingNews

News and notes from around the majors to help you stay one step ahead of your fantasy competition.

Kris Benson should have picked up some admirers with his eight-inning gem against the Cardinals on Monday, just in time for trading season.

The Pirates righthander essentially has been showcased all year and is just waiting to find out what his next address will be. The Bronx remains high on the list, but there might be a little extra competition after that performance. The crosstown Mets reportedly are in the picture, too.

Any team with a reasonable shot at the postseason and some payroll flexibility could be a player for the 29-year-old Benson, who will be a free agent after this season. Teams apparently question his toughness, but if he keeps throwing well, he could be a serviceable two-month rental.

The Bombers aren't focusing just on Benson, either. There still is bullpen help to be found, and Newsday reports the Yankees and Rockies recently discussed a Kenny Lofton-for-Preston Wilson swap. The Rocks would clear Wilson's big salary in the deal, but the only reason Colorado should take Lofton is if it can deal him to another contender and pick up a young player.
    The paper also says a Diamondbacks scout was checking out some Yankees prospects at Triple-A Columbus this week. Are we talking Steve Finley here? Not likely. Randy Johnson? Nah. Unit's not going anywhere, right? That's what is being said, at least. And the Yankees weren't supposed to have enough prospects to make too many deals. Probably just due diligence on Arizona's part -- just in case.

The Royals' lineup has taken a sudden turn for the young because of injuries and the Carlos Beltran trade. That means opportunities for young players -- and inconsistency as those players learn on the job. Tread lightly in the free-agent markets. The biggest change is in the outfield, with 24-year-old rookie David DeJesus taking over for Beltran in center and Dee Brown, 26, now playing left. Rookie Byron Gettis, 24, is splitting time in right with veteran Matt Stairs. Rookie John Buck, 23, is the new catcher. And third baseman Mark Teahen, 22, is expected to be brought up from the minors sometime this season.

Until recently, few outside the Braves organization know who Charles Thomas was. But the rookie outfielder is introducing himself to the baseball world in a big way. Thomas, 25, batted .333 in his first seven big-league games (5-for-15) and has hustled every minute he has been on the field. He doesn't look to be a power guy, but steals might be in his future. If the Braves think Thomas can play left field regularly, they could grant Chipper Jones his wish and keep him at third base. Perhaps a more chipper Chipper can be a more productive Chipper. The Braves certainly could use the extra offense given their starting pitching.

The Astros just can't get things together. Andy Pettitte returned from the DL right as Wade Miller (shoulder) went on. Then Jeff Kent hurt his hamstring during the first game of a key series against the Cubs. At this rate, Beltran might not want to unpack. As others have pointed out, Houston might be wise to use Beltran the way the Royals did and grab some youngsters, if the Astros fall out of contention. The club is poised to at least retool, if not rebuild, anyway, and another Beltran move would be a good head start.

Freddy Garcia ought to be very happy to be with the White Sox, because he now is pitching for a team that will score for him. Garcia came into Wednesday's action 4-7 despite a 3.20 ERA, partly because the Mariners scored an average of 2.19 runs in his 15 starts. Garcia's new teammate Mark Buehrle, on the other hand, has received 9.05 runs per start in his first 17 starts, the best run support in the majors.

With this year's trade pool for pitchers supposedly a little shallow, the Angels' Ramon Ortiz might be a more attractive target than usual. Ortiz is throwing very well after a bad April and May, but Anaheim GM Bill Stoneman remains reluctant to part with the righthander, who has repeated his desire to be traded if he can't remain in the rotation. "This is a guy who can help our club, whether it's in the bullpen or whether it's starting," Stoneman told the Los Angeles Times. The Mets and Orioles reportedly are among the teams interested in Ortiz, but the conservative Stoneman knows the Angels' pitching has been shaky and wants maximum value for a live arm.

Tom Gatto is a senior editor for the Sporting News. E-mail him at tgatto@sportingnews.com.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Bradshaw..."we're not going to win with this guy"

there was a day he wouldn't have said "we're"
    That's nice to see, finally, after all these years.....

Savran's got an hour interview with him tomorrow on FSN.....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Trade rumors are picking up

By Tom Gatto - SportingNews

News and notes from around the majors to help you stay one step ahead of your fantasy competition.

Kris Benson should have picked up some admirers with his eight-inning gem against the Cardinals on Monday, just in time for trading season.

The Pirates righthander essentially has been showcased all year and is just waiting to find out what his next address will be. The Bronx remains high on the list, but there might be a little extra competition after that performance. The crosstown Mets reportedly are in the picture, too.

Any team with a reasonable shot at the postseason and some payroll flexibility could be a player for the 29-year-old Benson, who will be a free agent after this season. Teams apparently question his toughness, but if he keeps throwing well, he could be a serviceable two-month rental.
    Damn, didn't someone else just mention the other day that the Mets were pushing for Benson ???

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

POSTED 7:38 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 8:24 a.m. EDT, July 1, 2004

BABIN DEAL TOO RICH?

A league source tells us that complaints are swirling among NFL teams regarding the contract signed by Texans first-rounder Jason Babin.

Per the source, Babin received a bump over "way over the normal incremental increase" as compared to his 2003 counterpart at the 27th overall pick, Chiefs running back Larry Johnson.

As a result, the agents of the players taken at number 26 and number 28 now have ammunition for jacking up the demands for their respective clients, and the increase could have a ripple effect throughout the round.

If Babin were the Texans' only first-round pick, the move could be characterized as a calculated effort by G.M. Charley Casserly to start a chain reaction that might squeeze the teams with picks high in the round into overpaying. But Casserly still has another pick to sign in round -- cornerback Dunta Robinson, who was taken with the 10th overall selection.

Indeed, part of the concern is that Casserly will overpay Robinson as well, guaranteeing that the high end of round one will be thrown out of whack this year.

Complicating matters is that the deal this year have a maximum six year term, not seven. As a result, there are less seasons over which the signing bonus can be prorated. With only a slight increase in the rookie salary pool, a spike in the across-the-board value of first-round contract will make it harder to get all of the guys signed with the dollars available.

Babin's official numbers have not yet been reported. We're trying to get them -- but we can't find any agents who'll give us their password for the NFLPA computer system.

CFL BECOMING NFL CANADA?

Okay, so the two North American football leagues haven't become quite so cozy that the Canadian league is ready to stand at the altar and take the NFL's name.

But they might be moving in together.

On the heels of the announcement that the NFL and the CFL have reupped their contractual commitment (i.e., NFL sends money and CFL makes it easier for NFL to pluck players who don't suck), we're hearing that the CFL could indeed become a minor-league circuit for the NFL, with NFL teams allocating players to CFL teams and "calling them up" during and/or after the CFL season.

Word is that there would be a specific deadline in the CFL season after which there would be no further player movement until after the season is completed.

Since NFL Europe is a money pit -- and since the players sent there by the NFL are now missing out on the weeks and weeks of "voluntary" drills intended to help get the schemes in place for the upcoming season -- we've been predicting/advocating an end to the 14-year European experiment, replacing it with a true minor league that allows players who otherwise would be riding the pine to get live reps.

Stay tuned. The fact that the NFL Network will be broadcasting the CFL's Grey Cup likely is a deft move to get the NFL fan base comfortable with the idea that the relationship between the two leagues eventually will enter new territory.

THURSDAY ONE-LINERS

Dolphins TE Randy McMichael could escape jail time for assaulting his pregnant wife since charges were filed against her as well, making it harder as a practical matter for either to get convicted.

The NFL is going to take a look at the involvement of Steelers RB Jerome Bettis in lobbying for the legalization of slot machines in Pennsylvania.

The Titans are thinking that seventh-round DT Jared Clauss (the valedictorian of the Wonderlic class with a 45) could make it into the rotation sooner rather than later.

An MRI revealed no serious damage to Miami OT Wade Smith's knee.

Ravens LB Peter Boulware, nursing a bum knee, isn't sure he'll be available for the season opener.

The Dolphins preference for four-year deals could make it harder for them to get their picks signed.

POSTED 8:05 a.m. EDT, June 30, 2004

DHEFENDING DHANI?

We got e-mails-a-plenty in response to our recent piece suggesting that Eagles linebacker Dhani Jones, who's having trouble picking up his new team's defensive schemes, is a dhummy.

Several league insiders reminded us that Jones was an honor student at Michigan, that he scored a 27 on the Wonderlic test, that he's a poet and a musician and an artist, etc.

Others have explained that he attended Churchill High in Potomac (Md.), and that he's an articulate speaker, and that his parents are professionals, etc.

The problem, however, appears to be that, while Dhani might have book smarts, the concern is that he's lacking in football instincts. Folks familiar with his performance while a member of the Giants insist that, between the lines, Dhani transforms into a dhumbass.

And not everyone buys the whole Poindexter routine. One high-level league insider tells us that, in his view, Jones is a pseudo intellectual who fancies himself a Renaissance man because it's another feather in his cap as he chases skirts. The source pointed to an NFL Network appearance by Jones, in which he tripped all over himself and had to start a sentence over three times.

COMMISH COZIES UP TO SNOOP

For those of you whose trees have grown to the point that they're blocking the signal to your DirecTV dish, you're not alone. We haven't been able to tune into the NFL Network for several weeks now -- and if it means not catching performances from guys like Dhani Jones and Julian Peterson, it's not such a bad thing.

But we also missed the bizarre pairing of Paul Tagliabue and Snoop Dogg on a recent NFL Total Access, hosted by smarmy ass-kisser extraordinaire Rich Eisen.

Snoop Dogg? We know the NFL is doing it's best to keep Johnnie Cochran and Cyrus Mehri off its rear end right now, but embracing Snoop Dogg?

"It's easier to root for the Cardinals when you're semi-conscious."

For those of you who've forgotten in the midst of Mr. Dogg's inexplicable acceptance in the mainstream culture over the past year of so (for no apparent reason than the fact that folks think it's funny and/or endearing to hear him say "fizzle," "shizzle," and/or "gizzle"), Snoop Dogg is a menacing character with a checkered history including narcotics convictions, murder charges (he was represented by Mr. Cochran), and a business partnership with smut purveyor Hustler.

Though Tags seemed to hint at Snoop's history during the on-air discussion, reminding him that he needs to be a role model, the mere fact that the two of them were on the screen together makes us scratch our noggins and wonder whether Tagliabue has lost his marbles.

WEDNESDAY ONE-LINERS

Dolphins OT Wade Smith, the only returning starter on the offensive line, injured his knee and ankle during an informal workout on Tuesday; results of an MRI are pending.

The NFL and the CFL have continued their partnership through 2006; they first hooked up in 1997.

GM still hasn't delivered to Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady his Cadillac; the NFL claims there's been confusion about the delivery site, but the Brady camp denies that claim (a league insider tells us that Brady should "be careful not to sound too spoiled").

Packers WR Robert Ferguson received a $3.5 million bonus as part of a five-year extension worth $10.9 million.

Steelers RB Jerome Bettis could be walking a fine line as he apparently lobbies Pennsylvania lawmakers on behalf of folks who hope to legalize slot machines in the Keystone State.

The search is still on for RB Rocky Bleier's three missing Super Bowl rings.

The State of Indiana likely won't be able to help the City of Indianapolis give the Colts enough coin to keep them from loading up the Mayflowers and heading for L.A.

The Steelers have signed DB Shane Walton, ten days after he was released by the Rams.

And now for today's Playmakers trifecta:

Dolphins TE Randy McMichael has been arrested for assaulting his wife -- his pregnant wife. Lovely.

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of former NFL WR Andre Rison, who owes more than $184,000 in two separate child support actions.

Former Bears and Oilers lineman Stan Thomas has been arrested on rape charges, after apparently giving into the devil on his shoulder when a 21-year-old passed out drunk in his home.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like the CFL minor league idea a lot...

and the idea that they can "send down" players during the year...and "bring up" players is a fantastic idea...

say Bettis isn't getting enough PT...lmfao...they send him to Canada (where he can play some slots)...then bring him back up the following week...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Only smart for the NFL to have it hands in on any football league out there. Different rules makes it interesting for players.

Be good for QBs to do some seasoning, with the 1 less down and bigger field, there is much more passing.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

POSTED 10:26 a.m. EDT, July 3, 2004

BALL BEHAVIOR NOT "ERRATIC"

In his weekly Tip Sheet, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli cites unnamed (egads!) Chargers sources, who say that center Jason Ball's unhappiness with his current contract situation might be about more than money.

"A few Chargers contend that Ball . . . has acted erratically at times this offseason," Len writes. "Ball, they say, has been difficult even for his closest friends to contact during some stretches."

As we reported a few weeks back, and as we confirmed after eyeballing Len's story, Ball has been incommunicado this offseason for one simple reason -- he wants out of San Diego.

Ball is upset with the direction in which the team is headed, we're told, given the exodus over the past 18 months of key players like Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau and Marcellus Wiley and David Boston.

Sure, Boston was a turd -- but embraced the turd in March 2003 and then dumped him a year later, essentially admitting that they don't know what the hell they're doing.

But the purpose of this piece isn't to bash (again) the Chargers. It's to explain that Len's borderline-defamatory report (which essentially suggests that Ball has gone cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs) is wrong.

Ball, an exclusive rights free agent, initially wanted a long-term deal. When the team said no, he decided that he wanted out. Although the team drafted Nick Hardwick to back up Ball in the third round of the draft, the fact that Hardwick will get a signing bonus worth more than Ball has earned to date in his career has only fueled Ball's desire to play elsewhere.

SATURDAY ONE-LINERS

The Buffalo News wonders whether the Jim Nantz-Greg Gumbel swap was actually a demotion for Gumbel, who made numerous mistakes in a Bills-Cowboys broadcast last year.

NFL bust Henry Burris is back in Canada -- and he hasn't missed a beat, throwing for four TDs and running for another in his first start for Saskatchewan.

Card QB Josh McCown is hitting the media circuit to convince folks that his name is not Cade.

The Bengals lease prohibits gambling along the Cincinnati riverfront, which could throw a minor wrench into efforts to bring riverboat gambling to the Queen City.

The Ottawa Renegades are off to their first 3-0 start since 1972 (it's profootballtalk.com, not nfltalk.com).

POSTED 8:05 a.m. EDT, July 2, 2004

CHARGERS, SAN DIEGO NEARING A DEAL

It's almost time to cross the Chargers off of the short list of teams on the L.A. list.

According to the North County Times, the Chargers and the City of San Diego are close to an agreement on a lease that would keep the Chargers in Qualcomm Stadium through at least the 2008 season.

It's actually a ten-year lease, but the Chargers can get out of it after 2008 with a payment of $57.775 million. The Chargers can get out after 2009 for $56 million, and after 2010 for $24 million.

As a practical matter, this takes the Chargers out of the pool of potential franchises that could move to Los Angeles in an effort by the NFL to placate the networks, whose return on the billion-dollar NFL investment surely would increase by putting a team back in the nation's No. 2 television market.

So who'll make the move? For now, the Saints, Vikings, and Colts are the three primary candidates -- primarily since they're the only three teams who have been unsuccessful in their efforts to get new digs over the past decade.

We also won't rule out, however, the possibility of a team like the Raiders or the Cowboys (who now hold their training camp in Cali) trying to squat on the lucrative L.A. market. And with concerns that the folks in Los Angeles might be ambivalent about the return of football, our guess is that the NFL will be looking to make a big splash.

We realize that the Cowboys are a long shot, and that the mere suggestion of such a move likely will be regarded in Big D as sacrilege. But Jerry Jones is capable of doing it, especially if the move could be justified as being in the best interests of the league.

And the move likely would be followed by a move of the Colts, Saints, or Vikings to Texas -- with either the Colts or Saints heading to Dallas, or the Vikes to owner Red McCombs' hometown of San Antonio.

As to the Saints, New Orleans is beating the deadline by only a few days to complete a $15 million payment to the team, which is part of a 2001 contract intended to keep the Saints from leaving town.

FRIDAY ONE-LINERS

The 49ers have given their players diversity training, due in large part to former RB Garrison Heart's homophobic statements and former DT Ted Washington's bumping-and-grinding with former trainer Lindsy McLean.

The Chiefs have signed LB Keyaron Fox to a four-deal deal worth $1.8 million; the fourth year is voidable and he'll get a $430,000 signing bonus.

From the "At Least You Won't Have To Look At His Horse Face" file, Shannon Sharpe will host a three-hour show on Sirius radio three days per week.

Tom Cruise will introduce a tribute to Pat Tillman at the July 18 ESPY Awards.

Unemployer QB Chris Redman is rehabbing a shoulder injury -- and waiting for some other quarterback to get hurt.

A decision won't be made for several weeks regarding potential charges against Dolphins TE Randy McMichael and/or his wife.

The Jags have signed fifth-round OT Sean Bubin to a three-year deal worth slightly more than $1 million, with a $110,000 signing bonus.

NASCAR nut Byron Leftwich is the Grand Marshal of the Pepsi 400 at Daytona.

The Redskins have cut TE David Ware after his arrest for leaving the teepee after drinking too much fire water.

The 1952 NFL champion Lions didn't get rings because the team couldn't afford them.

Larry Fitzgerald, Sr., thinks that his son, Larry, Jr., will end up with a better contract than Eli Manning, since Larry, Jr. is a "better overall player."

A Hawaii businessman is accused of selling tickets to the 2003 Pro Bowl -- and then pocketing $600,000 in proceeds.

Appearing on the NFL Network, LB LaVar Arrington called the Redskins "the richest franchise in sports" -- and maybe that's why Arrington is trying to squeeze an extra $6.5 million out of Dan Snyder's pocketses.

The Vikings might be willing to trade RB Michael Bennett in 2005 if Onterrio Smith continues to develop.

The Dolphins have waived WR Nick Davis.

Felony charges will not be pursued against the Vikings players who put a shoe imprint on a dude's grill recently, since the injuries weren't sufficiently serious.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

POSTED 10:00 a.m. EDT, July 4, 2004

SUNDAY ONE-LINERS

Eagles WR Terrell Owens says that he'll never be able to change his image as a bad guy, and then he pisses and moans (some more) about the fact that he has to practice in Philly with shorts over his tights (psst, T.O, there's a connection between those two sentiments).

The Washington Post reports that S Sean "Shaving Cream Eyes" Taylor soon could be re-hiring Drew Rosenhaus to serve as his agent.

Ickey Woods says that one of the players on his women's football team tried to do the Ickey Shuffle after scoring a touchdown but she "messed it all up."

Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says that the NFL needs to smack Jerome Bettis for his unexpected connection to gambling interests.

Saints LB Darrin Smith has agreed to take a $1.35 million reduction in his salary, which was slated to be $2.25 million in 2004, the final year of his deal.

Michael Smith of the Boston Globe has a lengthy, multi-part NFL report (focusing, of course, on the Pats) on a day when most other football writers are doing anything but writing about football.

Former NFL ref Sonny Gamber recently got a ring for his work in Super Bowl V.

Michael Felger of the Boston Herald fills in a dead spot in the NFL calendar by offering his predictions as to the impact (or lack thereof) of high-profile offseason moves.

Pats DB Tyrone Poole has come a long way in 12 months; a year ago, he was ready to quit the game -- and now he's loving it again as he sports his first Ring.

The Kansas City Star has an in-depth look at the intriguing background of rookie defensive tackle Junior Siavii.

Bob Dicesare of the Buffalo News says that NFLPA president Troy Vincent's public stance against the proliferation of offseason workouts is a testament to his character.

Former Bears DB Dave Duerson says he's not interested in taking the spot of Jack "Sex Club" Ryan on the ballot as the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Illinois, even though someone faxed his resume to the GOP office on Friday.

Vikings coach Mike Tice says that second-round LB Donatarrius Thomas is "the real deal."

Byron Leftwich got the gig as grand marshal for the Pepsi 400 because Tracy McGrady, the original marshal, was traded out of Orlando.

Annice Canady, the first female ref to work in Division 1-AA, has her eyeballs on the NFL.

Thread Information