X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jero
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
    " AND THOSE LAME RAPPERS HAVENT STOPPED SINCE !!!!
    It's a shame.....

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
      Fuckwit...stay with me here...Dre doesn't belong with Led Zeppelin!

Then again, YOU liked the fucking list!:confused:
      Well, that's not the way it looked when you wrote it.

But again, this list isn't comparing Led Zeppelin to Dre or anyone to anyone else. It's a chronological list, starting in 1954, and continuing to the present decade.

Is the list perfect? Fuck no. I doubt it could be. I don't think anyone is going to agree completely with someone else's list of 40 songs that changed the world.

Van HALEN definitely belongs on the list. And I probably would replace Black Flag with Metallica, even though I love Black Flag. And as far as Dre goes, I would say the NWA "Straight Outa Compton" album had much more of an impact than Dre's solo album "The Chronic" did.

Add Black Sabbath in at their relevant position in the list and we can get Titney and the White Stripes out of there.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

" RAPPERS DELIGHT ,THATS A JOKE RIGHT ? RAPPERS DELIGHT WAS A SAMPLE OF " GOOD TIMES BY CHIC ,NOT THE LAME SUGERHILL GANG ..... THE 1ST RAP SONG WAS SAMPLED (RIPPED OFF ) AND THOSE LAME RAPPERS HAVENT STOPPED SINCE !!!!
        There ya go..... Like I said, you don't have to LIKE the impact that the songs had, but you just admitted that it DID have an impact.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by PumpedUpMidget
          I do not know of any acts inspired by either Dylan or the inbred fucks known as the Ramones....And so since you disagree with me, I am stupid? Coming from an 18 year old.......
          You gotta be kidding!

Dylan influenced an entire generation of songwriters, not the least of which was one John Lennon. The Byrds and Hendrix had bigger hits with his songs than he did. Dylan's singing voice is an "acquired taste", but you can't knock him as a lyricist.

As for the Ramones, again far more influential than their record sales would have you believe. Millions may not have bought their albums, but a lot of those who did buy them, formed their own bands. Starting with all the English kids who saw them in 1976, on up to more current bands like Green Day and The Donnas.

You don't have to like 'em, but you can't deny the impact. Shit, I can't stand Michael Jackson, but that don't mean I can pretend "Thriller" didn't sell 40 million copies. (Let alone the role of one Edward Van Halen in that horrible album)
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by PumpedUpMidget
            I do not know of any acts inspired by either Dylan or the inbred fucks known as the Ramones....And so since you disagree with me, I am stupid? Coming from an 18 year old.......
            I said it was stupid and ignorant to deny a band's/artists influence just because you're personal preference doesn't include them.

I'm pretty sure if a 65 year old said to you "Van Halen don't deserve to be in such a list because they suck" you would say something along the same lines.

And what the fuck has my age got to do with it anyways?

Maybe you're just like all the other ignorant, senile old people in the world.
            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              Shit, I can't stand Michael Jackson, but that don't mean I can pretend "Thriller" didn't sell 40 million copies. (Let alone the role of one Edward Van Halen in that horrible album)
              I think thats doubled now, since all the reissues and what-not.
              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• SA ME WHO
                Roadie
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bantonelli
                Britney did shit. She is a copy-cat wanna be Madonna, who with "Like a Virgin" at the same age as Britney pioneered what Britney copied. Spears' song did nothing for Rock n' Roll.

I would also argue that Van Halen's Runnin' with the Devil changed Rock whereas GNR was a band that was inspired by VH.

I heard this list on the radio and laughed. Yes, most of the choices are true, with the exception of the few I mentioned that have no value in this category.
                While I'll be happy to agree about Brit revamping the early Madonna schtick, the fact remains that, whether it be timing or what not, come Britney's break, that whole little-girl-wannabe-adult time period of music permeated all major music markets and let to the onslaught of even less talented females to try their hand at it because they too could afford to buy a fake rack over which boys would drool.

While I find it holds no musical merit whatsoever, I have to say that in the musical landscape, for that time period, it does hold some amount of groundbreaking importance. Which, from what I understand, is what they were judging upon.

(I too find little merit in all RS lists. But, I do have to say that this one is pretty spot on in comparison to how far off other lists were.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                  Fuckwit...stay with me here...Dre doesn't belong with Led Zeppelin!

Then again, YOU liked the fucking list!:confused:
                  " Fuckwit "

hee hee
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

" RAPPERS DELIGHT ,THATS A JOKE RIGHT ? RAPPERS DELIGHT WAS A SAMPLE OF " GOOD TIMES BY CHIC ,NOT THE LAME SUGERHILL GANG ..... THE 1ST RAP SONG WAS SAMPLED (RIPPED OFF ) AND THOSE LAME RAPPERS HAVENT STOPPED SINCE !!!!

Thought most of the rap put out until about 1991 or so was tolerable, but the shit sliding down the pipe the last ten years or so does nada for me.

Yes, yes, I get it. You pump your pimped hoes while keeping it real making your bling and I won't be looking at you less'n you buss a cap in my ass, be-yawch! Lovely.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

So some Elvis song I've never heard of is No. 1; "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts club band", "All you need is love" or some other more worthy Beatles songs aren't even on there; BoRap isn't higher; no "Stairway to Heaven"; no MC5; and worst of all NO VAN HALEN WTF?!?! :MAD:

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Comment

• PumpedUpMidget
                          Head Fluffer
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
                          I said it was stupid and ignorant to deny a band's/artists influence just because you're personal preference doesn't include them.

I'm pretty sure if a 65 year old said to you "Van Halen don't deserve to be in such a list because they suck" you would say something along the same lines.

And what the fuck has my age got to do with it anyways?

Maybe you're just like all the other ignorant, senile old people in the world.
                          You know, I have never had any kind of beef with you, I have always thought of you as a cool dude (Wasn't it you that came up with "Napalm Up Yo Ass"?)--I just do not appreciate being called either stupid or senile--Living in Minnesota, I have heard about Dylan my whole life, and like Ford said, he is an acquired taste (Fortunately, not mine), and as far as the Ramones go, the Clash were vastly superior in my mind.....

Comment

• DeadMan1984
                            Roadie
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            You gotta be kidding!

Dylan influenced an entire generation of songwriters, not the least of which was one John Lennon. The Byrds and Hendrix had bigger hits with his songs than he did. Dylan's singing voice is an "acquired taste", but you can't knock him as a lyricist.

As for the Ramones, again far more influential than their record sales would have you believe. Millions may not have bought their albums, but a lot of those who did buy them, formed their own bands. Starting with all the English kids who saw them in 1976, on up to more current bands like Green Day and The Donnas.

You don't have to like 'em, but you can't deny the impact. Shit, I can't stand Michael Jackson, but that don't mean I can pretend "Thriller" didn't sell 40 million copies. (Let alone the role of one Edward Van Halen in that horrible album)
                            Calling Thriller horrible is just as bad as calling Van Halen I horrible.
                            DSG

http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Scott/van%20halen.jpg

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DeadMan1984
                              No it isn't.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Combat Ready
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DeadMan1984
                                Umm....Nope---Calling Thriller horrible is accurate and calling Van Halen 1 horrible is idiotic.

Comment

Working...