Thread: Bands that are overrated...

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Bands that are overrated...

Goddamn..I'm sick of Def Leppard recieving a lot of praise in stuff like Rolling stone and such over Classic Van HALEN. Def Lep is a decent band, Up until like 1988, They were a good Pop Metal Band, And Rick Allen is a phenomal drummer, one of the best in the Biz, But honestly, they're overrated, and CVH had a bigger impact on the scene moreso than "Photograph".
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Moronica, Greed, and Straind, for starters.....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Hagar.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have to disagree with the Def Leppard comment. I can't think of a band that deserves more credit for sticking it out with all of the tragedies and continuning to make music than them.

Other bands have a member die and they hang it up. Others just have them quit and carry on. Then some are just not cut out for any type of longevity.

I've always liked earlier Def Leppard and feel like they hit a creative wall, but I'd have to say PLEASE give their VH1 Storytellers, YEAH! and Slang another objective listen. i'm not saying that you have to love them, but daggone that's pretty good straight ahead rock music that didn't get airplay.

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BON JOVI
    DEF LEPPARD
    POISON
    CINDERELLA
    GREEN DAY
    R.E.M.
    BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
    TESLA
    RATT
    SLAUGHTER
    PETER CETERA
    PETER FRAMPTON
    HANOI ROCKS
    OH I COULD JUST GO ON AND ON........
    THERE IS AN OVERABUNDANCE OF OVERRATED SHITTY ASS BANDS
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Knicleback or however you spell it, i think they have a great something
    but it seems to need to, cook longer .

Tweeked by someone it has potential, i just don't like it, don't know why .

I hate to be so hard on them evidently the sell records but they seem
    sleepy.

Please don't get me started on the Romantics cover band -Green Day -
    who couldn't stroke the dogs dick of any member of the Romantics.

HACKS!

5 TIME CHAMPS!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You guys are taking the easy route by naming the obvious, but i'm gonna set this board on fire. But first i wanna say that i'm a really nice guy and this is only my opinion, so please don't call me a cocktard or all those crazy names that you guys come up with on this site. Okay.. ready..... THE BEATLES. Without Sir George Martin, the Beatles would have been an above average band. The time they came to America also played a role. Most of those kids at the airport when they arrived in America where paid by the record label and management to cause a big fuss. if the Beatles would have come out today, they would be just a different sounding band like the White Stripes. Twist and Shout is hailed as a great song, while Shout It Out Loud by KISS is called a Cheezy song. they are both very similar to me. I could give you a lot of comparisons like that. They were the first management/label created bands. now it has evolved to crap like the Back Street Boys and Brittany Spears. Now the Beatles had way more talent than those artist. With a lot of help from the 60/70's drug years, Martin and that Abby Road studio, which was way ahead of the times, they were the perfect storm. Now I'm not saying they suck, I'm just saying they are overrated! I know I'm gonna get death threats by people who roll there eyes when The National Anthem comes on, but when Imagine comes on, they break down and cry. You know who you are!!! One last thing... The Beatles were already a bunch of long haired drug addicts before they came to America. They were told to present themselves as an clean cut Bristish band, so they cleaned up there appearance. then once America accepted them, they went back to there roots. America didn't change them, they changed America. FOR THE WORST!!!!!!!!!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    You guys are taking the easy route by naming the obvious, but i'm gonna set this board on fire. But first i wanna say that i'm a really nice guy and this is only my opinion, so please don't call me a cocktard or all those crazy names that you guys come up with on this site. Okay.. ready..... THE BEATLES. Without Sir George Martin, the Beatles would have been an above average band. The time they came to America also played a role. Most of those kids at the airport when they arrived in America where paid by the record label and management to cause a big fuss. if the Beatles would have come out today, they would be just a different sounding band like the White Stripes. Twist and Shout is hailed as a great song, while Shout It Out Loud by KISS is called a Cheezy song. they are both very similar to me. I could give you a lot of comparisons like that. They were the first management/label created bands. now it has evolved to crap like the Back Street Boys and Brittany Spears. Now the Beatles had way more talent than those artist. With a lot of help from the 60/70's drug years, Martin and that Abby Road studio, which was way ahead of the times, they were the perfect storm. Now I'm not saying they suck, I'm just saying they are overrated! I know I'm gonna get death threats by people who roll there eyes when The National Anthem comes on, but when Imagine comes on, they break down and cry. You know who you are!!! One last thing... The Beatles were already a bunch of long haired drug addicts before they came to America. They were told to present themselves as an clean cut Bristish band, so they cleaned up there appearance. then once America accepted them, they went back to there roots. America didn't change them, they changed America. FOR THE WORST!!!!!!!!!
    There's only one answer for this, and I'm sure that even Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will agree with me...

NIGGA PLEASE!
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Want an overated band...

U2...

I HATE THESE FUCKERS!!!!

For how many albums did these dopes get away with playing the same song?

DINGADINGADINGADINGADINGADINGADINDADINGADINGA..... ..

AWFUL!

Plus you have cuntface Bono....Nice name asswipe....spewing his crappy self serving political bullshit all over the place. Hey Bono...if I want some musician to teach me something, I'll get Lita Ford to sit on my face (this is what I said in 1985...)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Bands that are overrated...

Originally posted by Unchainme
    Goddamn..I'm sick of Def Leppard recieving a lot of praise in stuff like Rolling stone and such over Classic Van HALEN. Def Lep is a decent band, Up until like 1988, They were a good Pop Metal Band, And Rick Allen is a phenomal drummer, one of the best in the Biz, But honestly, they're overrated, and CVH had a bigger impact on the scene moreso than "Photograph".
    Honestly, I never thought Rick Allen was any great shakes as a drummer even before he lost his arm. Didn't suck, didn't overplay and wasn't fill-happy - he did what the songs required.

But Pyromania was a pretty huge album and 1983 was a big year for them. Perhaps in part because Van Halen didn't have a record out that year and only did a couple months of dates in South America and the US Festival far as concerts went...plus Quiet Riot really didn't break out huge with Metal Health until the late summer of 1983 and were then followed by Motley Crue, Ratt and all the rest...the luck of good timing along with good songs...Lep kinda beat all those other pop metal bands to the punch by a year or so.

By the time Hysteria came out four odd years later a whole shitload of pop metal bands had already came onto the scene, but Hysteria sold well in spite of having to compete with Slippery When Wet, Appetite For Destruction and Whitesnake 1987, which were the other big sellers of that year...the longview for me is that Hysteria didn't have nearly as many decent songs on it as Pyromania...about the only Lep albums I even listen to anymore are High N Dry and Pyromania. Band really hasn't put anything out since Hysteria that I would consider essential.

But Pyromania and Hysteria are both diamond status in terms of sales, I think, and I suppose having two of those makes the band worthy of some mention. More so than, say, Hootie and the Blowfish or Alanis Morrisette who each had one monster selling album and weren't able to follow it up.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    Want an overated band...

U2...

I HATE THESE FUCKERS!!!!

AWFUL!

Plus you have cuntface Bono....Nice name asswipe....spewing his crappy self serving political bullshit all over the place. Hey Bono...if I want some musician to teach me something, I'll get Lita Ford to sit on my face (this is what I said in 1985...)
    Agreed.

Although WAR is a great album, as is the Joshua Tree and parts of Achtung Baby. The rest I can take or leave.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Creed.

They made even Me want to listen to death metal.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A huge "verily" to that, Lord!
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

5 TIME CHAMPS!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's only one answer for this, and I'm sure that even Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will agree with me...

NIGGA PLEASE!
    That's it? That's all the response i get from my blasphemous view? To hell with those guys! People like Sharpton, Jackson, Farrakhan, David Duke and the KKK all work for the Devil. They are dividers not uniters!
    Carlos Santana is another overated band.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll agree that The Beatles are overrated, no-one deserves that kind of God like worship....

Also:

The Eagles, U2, Nirvana, The Clash

Great bands, but not as great and musically revolutionary as some would have it

And a whole crop of bands that seems to me to have very little cause for acclaim but receive lots of it anyway:

Coldplay
    Bon Jovi
    The Killers
    The Strokes
    Green Day
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

5 TIME CHAMPS!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by binnie
    I'll agree that The Beatles are overrated, no-one deserves that kind of God like worship....

Also:

The Eagles, U2, Nirvana, The Clash

Great bands, but not as great and musically revolutionary as some would have it

And a whole crop of bands that seems to me to have very little cause for acclaim but receive lots of it anyway:

Coldplay
    Bon Jovi
    The Killers
    The Strokes
    Green Day
    well said! The Killers and The Strokes totally blow. they sound like amateurs.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They just sound like a lot of early 80s bands to me, and there's no crime in that: but it means that they shouldn't be hailed as some revolutionary musical messiahs by the critics...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    U2 and The Beatles.

Just BAD pop... not that there's any good pop.

Bono is a cunt and Lennon was a cunt.

They both got more fame from stuff they did outside the music scene.

Cheers! :bottle:

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Although I've never been a Beatles fan, I wouldn't deny their influence. If so many people got into the business because they wanted to be a Beatle, then they must have been good at what they did.

But, if we're goung down that route, I would say Led Zep. Never understood why they are considered to be the GRATEst rock & roll band of all time.

U2...YES.

Bon Jovi...I cun't stand the guy, and his music sucks too. But I really hate HIM.

All the flavours of the month.

KISS...always come across as a band who concentrated on image more than music.

GUNS AND ROSES...made one GRATE album and are considered one of the GRATEst rock and roll bands ever? Bollocks.
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Want an overated band...

U2...

I HATE THESE FUCKERS!!!!

AWFUL!

Yeah!

When I read this thread title U2 was the first band I thought of.

I never heard any of their songs that made me think they were anything special.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sitting on a park bench!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also Radiohead get a lot of praise for doing stuff King Crimson did a lot better years ago.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yea, I completely agree with U2. While I really enoyed early U2, anything after Actung Baby really sounds thrown together and is nothing more than efforts to keep the cash coming in..

Coldplay is another. While Chris Martin can put together a catchy melody, the band is mediocre at best.

As far as lately, there are so many bands that are hyped by the music business that just don't deserve the recognition they are getting. Bands like Nickelback, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Jet, Artic Monkeys and I could go on and on are average bands at best.

I could go on forever but will shut up..

Cheers,

KiD

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    Creed.

LMFAOROTF!!!!!

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    STRYPER......I FUCKING HATE THOSE LAME ASS BIBLE THUMPING MOTHERFUCKERS!

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    yeah, i hate u2.....never understood how anyone could like them.
    and yes,bono is a cunt.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bon Jovi and Poison

I think the Strokes have several strong tracks.

lmao@ Moronica, Greed, and Straind. I aGreed.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by The_KiD

Nickelback, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Jet, Artic Monkeys and I could go on and on are average bands at best.
    I agree on all counts, although Nickleback are not seen as credible in any way over here....

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know...JET are EGGcellent live. Better than some of the "better" bands I've seen.

The Don: Roth Army Militi
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by The_KiD
    ,Artic Monkeys and I could go on and on are average bands at best.
    I wondered who'd be first to mention the Artic Monkeys, and I've got to agree. They've created a lot of hype, but they are average at best. If you want to hear how that sort of music should be done..... listen to The Jam.
    Roth Army Militia

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Don Corleone
    If you want to hear how that sort of music should be done..... listen to The Jam.
    Yup, then also remind me a little of XTC, as do The Kaiser Chiefs...

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Don Corleone
    If you want to hear how that sort of music should be done..... listen to The Jam.
    That was gonna be my next choice:
    THE JAM

Crab Kebab & Band Overs!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden & Iron Maiden.

Yes they are talented and shit, but.. I've never liked them altough they are hyped like FUCK!!
    "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ace diamond
    STRYPER......I FUCKING HATE THOSE LAME ASS BIBLE THUMPING MOTHERFUCKERS!
    No one ever gave them credit for being any good to begin with.

\m/
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave Matthews

Grateful Dead

GNR

Van Hagar

Led Zeppelin

U2

Nirvana

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The most ridiculously over-rated bands in history.....

Steely Dan
    Whitesnake
    Bon Jovi
    Van Hagar
    Journey (especially after 1981)
    KISS (anything but the original 4)
    Def Leppard after Pyromania
    ELO
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Megadeth

Hey, I like to be spontaneous

In all seriousness, Metallica, Beatles, KISS, U2. Did I mention the Beatles?

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by cMb
    Dave Matthews

Grateful Dead

GNR

Van Hagar

Led Zeppelin

U2

Nirvana
    Van Hagar are overrated?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    Creed.

Sorry Lord, but I already mentioned them, although I used my personal name for them.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bon Jovi
    Springsteen
    Poison
    The Dead
    U2
    The Stones after the mid 70's

The Menace Is Loose Again