Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Exclamation FAUX "News" gives favorable coverage to new Michael Moore film

'Sicko' Shows Michael Moore's Maturity as a Filmmaker

Saturday , May 19, 2007
    By Roger Friedman

Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.

At a press conference on Saturday, Moore said, "This film is a call to action. It's also not a partisan film."

Indeed, in "Sicko," Moore criticizes both Democrats and Republicans for their inaction and in some cases their willingness to be bribed by pharmaceutical companies and insurance carriers.

In a key moment in the film, Moore took a group of patients by boat to the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba because of its outstanding medical care. When they couldn't get into the U.S. naval base, Moore proceeded onto Havana where the patients were treated well and cheaply.

This has caused a great deal of controversy, with the federal government launching an investigation into the trip, which officials say was in violation of the trade and commerce embargo against the Communist country.

Moore, explaining the flap over the trip to Cuba in a press conference, said, "This administration flaunts the law, flaunts the constitution."

Moore now claims the U.S. government says his Cuban footage may be illegal, and Moore said he made a second master copy of "Sicko" and had it shipped it to France immediately just in case of potential government issues.

Link
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-06-2012 @ 08:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw this! (Yes, I read Fox and Drudge everyday.) Like much that I see at Foxnews.com- I couldn't believe it.

I am looking forward to this one. Each of his films is better than the previous.

I just had a discussion about Bowling For Columbine with a neocon (who claims to be a Libertarian) at work.

He was all like "Fuck Michael Moore. He faked the part where the bank was giving away guns. There's a waiting period."

I said "Nope, the bank was a licenced gun dealer that had a vault with close to 500 guns in it. There's no waiting period on a shotgun in that state."

He went to his office and researched it and then told me I was right. I told him that I knew that already. I also said that the gun/bank distortion is but one of the lies that the right spreads about Michael Moore.

BTW - Attention neocons: Matt Drudge is gay.
    Last edited by DEMON CUNT; 05-19-2007 at 07:15 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Medium Pimpin
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2013 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Don't really care for his as a person but I like his docs. Anytime I rent movies, which isn't often lately, I always get a low budget straight to dvd, foreign or documentary to check out too. I've seen all of his and I loved "Bowling For Columbine". He just walked right up to random houses to check if it was true people in Canada really didn't lock their doors. I like how he grilled Charlton Heston on holding the NRA rally right after the shooting.

I think it was Roger and Me that was about corporate hypocracy if I remember right. Interesting how the only "Payday" (candy bars) that made a profit is the one that was closed. Kinda like what happened to my next door neighbor in Va. Bch. just before I moved back home last summer. He worked at the Ford Plant in Norfolk and they layed off a shitload of people and again they were making a better than nominal profit. They didn't mind spending like 7 bil to bring the superbowl to Detroit a few years ago but can't keep a profitable plant open.

You know what I find funny? The government didn't care what he was doing until they realized it was gonna make them look bad by telling the truth about our health care system. Now, all of a sudden it's illegal. You can't tell me our govt. didn't know what he was doing. All this post 9/11 security and shit. You can't convince me he snuck out of the U.S. and ended up in Cuba without someone knowing about it. Cause if he did, then what the fuck does that really say about our security situation on the most basic level? Wait, I forgot the "decider" failed to implement any of the 9/11 Commission recommendations but still don't mind spewing "scare tactics" at every fucking podium.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
    You can't convince me he snuck out of the U.S. and ended up in Cuba without someone knowing about it. Cause if he did, then what the fuck does that really say about our security situation on the most basic level?
    It's rather easy to get to Cuba from the US. An acquaintance of mine (an Israeli citizen living here in Virginia) does it every year or so. All you have to do is go via a third country. Fucking Cuba will let anyone in as long as they're willing to spend some money there.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Kinda like what happened to my next door neighbor in Va. Bch. just before I moved back home last summer. He worked at the Ford Plant in Norfolk and they layed off a shitload of people and again they were making a better than nominal profit.
    You mean the Ford Plant that they're closing.....

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    Fucking Cuba will let anyone in as long as they're willing to spend some money there.
    Those fucking capitalist pigs! What the fuck do they need with money anyway?

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

...was gonna make them look bad by telling the truth...
    This is exactly why Moore has a target on his fat back.

Fahrenheit 911 pissed them off because Moore exposed the Bush/Saudi connection, among other things, to such a large audience.

You'll notice that the media will often refer to him as "controversial filmmaker Michael Moore."
    Last edited by DEMON CUNT; 05-19-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The difference between Fahrenheit 9/11 and Sicko, is that the former would have merely cost them an election (if not for the Ohio fraud)

Sicko could lead to the dismantling of the entire "health care" corporate scam in this country. And the BCE is as deeply rooted in that as they are the oil industry.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    11-24-2009 @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Let's see when the film comes out. I don't think anyone should be making judgements about that guys work until it is seen (and yes, while i generally detest him, I have seen all the films).

Moore himself said this isn't a partisan film. Which is what he needed to make after polarizing the country so much. Otherwise, he might lose his "everyman" status.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think any of Moore's films have been partisan. They're just seen that way, because it's usually right wingers who are primarily to blame for the ills of society that are the subject matter of the film. Indeed that was the case with predatory capitalism in "Roger and Me", gun nuts and media whores in "Bowling for Columbine" and the warmongers in "Fahrenheit 9-11".

But Moore has never let the Democrats off the hook either. Fahrenheit 9-11 begins with the sad fact that not one Democratic Senator would stand in support of the Congressional Black Caucus resolution to NOT accept the fraudulent Katherine Harris created & Supreme Court endorsed Florida electoral results which put Chimpy in the White House. And the Democrats deserved condemnation for that. I can't forgive them for it to this day.

And surely enough, when it comes to the health care scams (insurance/pharmaceuticals/corporate hospitals/etc.) there are plenty of guilty "Democrats" enabling this shit. I hope he rips them a new asshole every bit as much as the Republicans.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Moore really is a talented guy that is capable of doing good work. Sadly, he has taken the shock value route and has ruined his reputation in the process.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    It's rather easy to get to Cuba from the US. An acquaintance of mine (an Israeli citizen living here in Virginia) does it every year or so. All you have to do is go via a third country. Fucking Cuba will let anyone in as long as they're willing to spend some money there.
    One can fly out via Canada...

And "Fucking Cuba" lets anyone with money in? So does any fucking country in the Caribbean...

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    One can fly out via Canada...

And "Fucking Cuba" lets anyone with money in? So does any fucking country in the Caribbean...

I Know alot of people that recomend Cuba over Mexico for a nice winter resort getaway.

Hopefully next year I will know.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Originally posted by WACF
    I Know alot of people that recomend Cuba over Mexico for a nice winter resort getaway.

Hopefully next year I will know.
    What do Canadians love about Cuba?

No American tourists!

And, we're not getting killed there like we seem to be in Mexico these days.

Thread Information