Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indeedido
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Now back to the body. I used Deft sanding sealer as I mentioned earlier to seal the grain. Now I've used a white primer I got from guitar reranch. The cool thing about this primer is, it won't yellow. If I used a white nitrocellulose laquer it would yellow over time once hit with the clear coat. So I'm going to leave the base of this as white primer. Here is where I go a little different than most. Or a lot different. I'm going to shoot red next and then black last.
    This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
      Veteran
      • Feb 2004

The tape I used was 3M automotive pin striping tape. Gives you lots of flexibility to go around corners and such. Once you get it down, no bleed either. Since I'm not doing a relic, I do not want any bleed.

I used three sizes. 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch. I made all of the sizes from uses these three in conjunction by overlapping tthem needed. I drew the squiggly lines on the 3/4 for example too and cut them out. Worked great.

Front

Back
      This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

For the red paint, I used automotive laquer paint that is loaded into rattle cans. No krylon here folks. This stuff is the think to use if you don't have a sprayer. You just get the paint code from whatever make and model car and they mix it. You can find them at automotivetouchup.com, I got the clear coat from them as well. Great stuff. Any way the color of red I chose is from an IROC-Z28 I had years ago. I liked the shade of red so that is what I decided to use. It's also a common Chevy red.
        This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

Body shot red

and after tape peeled off

Once I hit it with the black stripes, this thing is gonna POP. Doesn't quite look done without the black does it?
          This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

This is where the body is left off. I'll let it sit for a few days to cure up a bit before I mask off for the black......

On to the neck. Originally I was going to do it without a decal, like what Ed's originally looked like. Then after I found the neckplate, I decided to do a EVH series Charvel. That is why there is no skunk stripe on the back. Ed's original didn't have one, but the charvel does. What can you do. Worked out better for me because Warmoth doesn't have an option to do custom back profiles with skunk stripes. So I have a birdseye maple neck, highly figured, with the Wizard back contour. I love the way it feels.

I photoshoped myself a few logos. Basically traced them so I could get some hi res files. You'll see Charvel and EVH Art Series on the front. And on the back you'll find a Custom Shop logo and Ed's signature. I felt these looked pretty cool and haven't seen anyone use these on theirs yet.

Also I have done some oiled necks in the past and love them. But I wanted to experiment here a little bit. At guitar reranch, they had a satin laquer that they claimed felt like raw wood. I'll be damned if they weren't right. This stuff is the shit!! I put on about 6 coats on the neck and around 10 or 11 on the headstock to seal in the decals. Then I sanded it down starting at 600 grit paper working up to 1500 grit. 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500. You cannot tell this has a finish on it at all. Feels so natural and it is protected. Also, you cannot find any traces of the edge of any of my decals. I'm so pleased with it. Oh yeah, got the water slide decal paper at a online model shop called micro mark

Front:

Back:
            This space for rent.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
              Body shot red

and after tape peeled off

Once I hit it with the black stripes, this thing is gonna POP. Doesn't quite look done without the black does it?

Just curious...why didn't you do the black layer/stripe base before the white, ala the real Frankenstrat?
              Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• indeedido
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

Just personal preference. I didn't want any of the black "ghost" stripes to show under the red. This way I can control where the black goes. I thought about it for a while and I know the original has them, but I think had Edward known what he was doing instead of just randomizing what he did, it might have come out this way. It just looks nicer to me. Plus it's more of a challenge to do a cleaner version than a relic because you need to control the paint environment more. Just personal taste. I saw one recently over at one of the other sites that was done this way too. Looked pretty good.
                This space for rent.

Comment

• The_KiD
                  Commando
                  • Jun 2005

Nice job man..I am enjoying your progress and updates..

I am spending some time with my strat today..

Cheers,

KiD

Comment

• Don Corleone
                    Veteran
                    • May 2004

but I think had Edward known what he was doing instead of just randomizing what he did, it might have come out this way.
                    You maybe right there. You just have to look at later versions that Ed painted, specifically the 5150 - White, Red then Black.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• indeedido
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

Well, here is a minor update. We've been getting so much rain, it's hard to build up much steam. I've added a little bit of black stripes. Also finished up the neck and added some hardware. Schaller M-6 tuners and I'm using an original floyd rose, attached is the R-2 nut and string retainer. The only thing I haven't put on the back of the headstock yet is the allen wrench holder for the floyd.

Front with some black:

Back with some black:

Front of headstock w/ hardware

back of headstock w/ hardware
                      This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2004

P.S. I just couldn't put the string retainer on crooked like Ed. It would bother me to look at it 'til my grave. It would make me think I fucked it up every time I looked at it.
                        This space for rent.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

P.S. I just couldn't put the string retainer on crooked like Ed. It would bother me to look at it 'til my grave. It would make me think I fucked it up every time I looked at it.
                          Agreed.
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• indeedido
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

It's been uncharacteristically rainy this year, but I've made some more progress finally. Dig it........

I got the front taped for some more black. Again, moving slowly and methodically.

Got the back taped up too

Now the whole thing ready to shoot....
                            This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2004

And now to pull off the tape and paper. Voila, instant controlled madness.

Front:

Back:
                              This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

I've got just a few more areas to add black to. Hope to be done with the black in a few days, but the storms are rolling back in so we'll see. Once that is complete, I will clear coat it and let it cure up before final polish. Now it is starting to shape up! I can't wait to get it done and play it.
                                This space for rent.

Comment

Working...