I kinda agree with BHOP.
I don't think it necessarily should have been stopped when it was , though if Roy had at least thrown a punch or two it certainly would have helped his case. I totally think Roy thought he could block & hold and last out the round 'til he got his shit back together, but the Ref decided he'd seen enough.

Roy's odd in that like I said in P-Mark's thread, Lacy (a known heavy-hitter) nailed him a few times in their fight with what seemed like harder shots, and he withstood it better, but then sometimes someone gets a lucky shot and he's done in 1 or 2 rounds.
This wasn't nearly as bad as the Tarver or Glenn Johnson (was it?) KO's. It looked like he still had a chance, if he'd just made some attempt to retaliate rather than stand and take it on the ropes, but c'mon - most of those after-shots to the body were blocked, and the ref SHOULD have warned the Aussie dude for that pawing/holding and hitting shit he was doing when Roy was trying to (and otherwise successfully) dodge the headshots. I mean, wtf?
Definitely hometown advantage aiding in the the lack of the warning and early stoppage, IMO.

The loss to Calzaghe (sp) IMO? He finally met someone with a style weirder than his. Only time I've ever seen him baffled (he was actually complimenting Joe as the fight went on, since Joe didn't have the power to knock him out, but could out weird-box him -"Nice one, Joe", stuff like that). And even then he knocked Joe on his ASS in the 1st round.

But I also agree no one wants to see Roy go the way of Ali...