X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    The problem I have always had with Mosely is that Vernon Forrest absolutely mowed him down twice. Forrest is decent, but not a "star".

I know some fighter have other fighters numbers, but he ended up being a big disappointment to me, much like Tito Trinidad.

Trinidad should have been an electric star after his win over De la Hoya, he got major lazy and faded fast.
    The problem with Trinidad was that he could only do one thing: fight. As a result he was predictable and easy to train for, and consequently beatable by decent boxers. I always thought that De La Hoya won that fight, but lets not open that can of worms.

Forrest did have Mosely's number, but Mosely has beaten some stella fighters over the years. Although I can see your point about him never being a star. To my mind though, he's the only real fighter who has beaten De La Hoya convincingly. Twice. With the other guys who beat Golden Boy, there's always been a case, however slight, for it to have gone the other way. Not so with Mosely.

It's like Pacquinao had Barrera's number, but you can't deny that Barrera is an all time great; Foreman had Frazier's number, but Frazier is still a legend etc, etc...

Just a case of styles making fights I guess.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

The fight I'm really interested in now is Hollyfield vs Sultan for a heavyweight belt.

My heart wants Hollyfield to win this, and I think it is in the realms of possibility, but I think he's got an up-and-comer in front of him, and one who can bang.

How do you guys see this?

I see that Hollyfield has two options:

1) Keep Sultan at range with his jab and counterpunch, slowly wearing him down

2) Get inside, and get dirty. Use his head (literally) and power to overwhelm Sultan. Risky, but more likely to work in the middle rounds, IMO

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Cotto - Mosely is now officialy signed I believe.

That makes three classic fights in the not so distant future, along with:

Calzaghe - Kessler

Hatton - Mayweather

Finally, boxing is getting its act together and some of the top fighters are starting to face one another.

I've got a feeling that Cotto-Mosely might end up being the most spectacualr of all three. It just seems a classic boxer-fighter match up.

Anyone else psyched?

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Felix Trinidad set to return from retirement, eyes Roy Jones Jr.

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
          August 13, 2007

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (AP)
          -- Felix Trinidad doesn't speak English so well, yet made his position very clear.

Only one fighter could lure him from retirement: Roy Jones Jr.

"Roy Jones is one of the biggest and greatest champions ever in boxing," Trinidad said Monday. "But he's never faced a puncher like me."

He will in January, when the two stars meet at an undetermined site in what promoter Don King is already calling "the people's championship." Both have agreed to fight at 170 pounds -- 10 pounds more than Trinidad has ever carried into the ring, and five less than what Jones weighed when he beat previously undefeated Anthony Hanshaw last month.

"It's a unique, special event that this sport needs," Jones said. "If you can't put it on the line for this, then you can't put it on the line for anything. This is the type of thing you put it on the line for. The sport needs another megafight and that's what this is."

Trinidad hasn't fought since losing to Winky Wright in May 2005 and has only prevailed in two bouts in the last six years. But when King flew to Puerto Rico about two months ago to gauge his interest in a comeback, Trinidad quickly said he'd be open to a matchup with Jones.

"This is going to be one of the most thrilling events we've seen in boxing in many, many decades," King said. "This is about pleasing the people."

Trinidad signed his part of the contract Monday, and King said he'd move quickly to get a deal struck with Jones -- who flew down from Pensacola, Fla. only hours after Trinidad formally agreed to the deal.

"I don't understand how Tito thinks he's going to win," said Jones' adviser, McGee Wright. "But he's a fighter and that's what we like. If he didn't think he could win, he wouldn't be there."

Trinidad is a former welterweight, super welterweight and middleweight champion and a national hero in his homeland of Puerto Rico. He took 2 1/2 years off before beating Ricardo Mayorga in 2004, but was dominated when he met Wright seven months later.

He retired again after that fight, but whispers of a Trinidad-Jones possible matchup have been circling for months.

"Most fighters of Tito Trinidad's stature would want a warmup fight after being off for this long," King said. "Not Tito Trinidad."

There was a sense last year that Trinidad was considering coming back to fight Oscar De La Hoya -- which would have likely been a huge draw, given how close many thought their bout was in 1999 when Trinidad won a controversial decision for the WBC and IBF welterweight titles.

Over the weekend, De La Hoya reiterated that he doesn't expect that rematch -- which has been talked about for years -- to ever happen, since Trinidad likely isn't interested in dropping to his weight class.

"Sure, I'd fight Tito if he comes down to 154," De La Hoya said. "I think there's probably more realistic opportunities for me with other fights, though."

Felix Trinidad Sr., the fighter's father, manager and trainer, said he probably wouldn't have agreed to another comeback try unless the potential fight had the marquee appeal he believes a Trinidad-Jones matchup will carry.

And he's not worried about the layoff, either.

"I can be proud to bring my son into battle with a giant such as Roy Jones," the elder Trinidad said. "My son's a legend, but so is Roy Jones. And Roy Jones has been there forever. He's made an indelible mark on people around the world."

Trinidad is 42-2; Jones Jr. is 51-4. Neither plans to fight before January matchup, and King hopes to have an exact date and site set soon.

"It's going to be a very big fight. A huge fight," Trinidad said. "I hear from Roy that somebody has to go down in this fight. I have to tell you Roy, it's going to be you. I always come to win."

AP Sports Writer Greg Beacham contributed to this story.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Wow!

Much as I like Tito, Roy Jones should walk this at that weight: he's the bigger guy, and a good big guy beats a good little guy.

The only chance I see Tito having is that Roy doesn't move anything like he used to, so he's a lit easier to hit. But I see Roy being able to keep him at range most of the time.

Looking forward to it though, although I'd rather of seen him back in with De La Hoya.

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Abraham's fifth IBF middleweight defense ends with a knockout of Gevor in 11th round

August 18, 2007

BERLIN (AP) -- Unbeaten Arthur Abraham knocked out Khoren Gevor in the 11th round to retain his IBF middleweight title on Saturday.

Abraham (24-0, 19 KOs) punished his fellow Armenian-born German with shot after shot during the final four rounds.

In the 11th, Abraham's short uppercut spun Gevor's head around sharply and lifted him in the air. Gevor sagged onto his knees then toppled onto his back, going down for the first time in his career.

"He's a warrior, he showed that," Abraham said. "But anybody that wants my title has to be punished."

Gevor, the fifth-ranked challenger, gave Abraham trouble early. He pressed from the opening seconds and threw blows nonstop.

The fight turned when Abraham caught him flush with a right in the seventh. In the next round, Abraham hit Gevor several times with flurries -- a dozen shots on one occasion.

"I thought of throwing in the towel, but he wanted to show people," trainer Fritz Smudek said of Gevor. "He made one big mistake. After that big shot, he tried to slug it out."

Gevor (27-3, 15 KOs) only other losses was the result of cuts.

Abraham will fight in the United States next year, according to his management.

He is a popular boxer in Germany with a knack for exciting fights, including a successful defense last year against Edison Miranda after his jaw was broken twice early in the bout.

Comment

• DlocRoth
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                Wow!

Much as I like Tito, Roy Jones should walk this at that weight: he's the bigger guy, and a good big guy beats a good little guy.

The only chance I see Tito having is that Roy doesn't move anything like he used to, so he's a lit easier to hit. But I see Roy being able to keep him at range most of the time.

Looking forward to it though, although I'd rather of seen him back in with De La Hoya.
                Don't underestimate the puncher's chance, Bin.......

But true, Roy should walk.....
                Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Chris John defeats Zaiki Takemoto to retain WBA featherweight title

August 19, 2007

KOBE, Japan (AP) -- Indonesia's Chris John defeated Japan's Zaiki Takemoto on a technical knockout Sunday to retain his WBA featherweight title.

The 27-year-old John improved to 40-0-1 with 21 knockouts. Takemoto dropped to 21-7-1 with 12 knockouts.

John sent Takemoto to the canvas in the sixth and eighth rounds with a series of punches to the head of the Japanese challenger, who wasn't able to continue after the ninth round.

John, who successfully defended his title for the eighth time, opened a cut above Takemoto's left eye in the fourth round and wasn't seriously challenged by the Japanese boxer.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Abraham's fifth IBF middleweight defense ends with a knockout of Gevor in 11th round

August 18, 2007

BERLIN (AP) -- Unbeaten Arthur Abraham knocked out Khoren Gevor in the 11th round to retain his IBF middleweight title on Saturday.

Abraham (24-0, 19 KOs) punished his fellow Armenian-born German with shot after shot during the final four rounds.

In the 11th, Abraham's short uppercut spun Gevor's head around sharply and lifted him in the air. Gevor sagged onto his knees then toppled onto his back, going down for the first time in his career.

"He's a warrior, he showed that," Abraham said. "But anybody that wants my title has to be punished."

Gevor, the fifth-ranked challenger, gave Abraham trouble early. He pressed from the opening seconds and threw blows nonstop.

The fight turned when Abraham caught him flush with a right in the seventh. In the next round, Abraham hit Gevor several times with flurries -- a dozen shots on one occasion.

"I thought of throwing in the towel, but he wanted to show people," trainer Fritz Smudek said of Gevor. "He made one big mistake. After that big shot, he tried to slug it out."

Gevor (27-3, 15 KOs) only other losses was the result of cuts.

Abraham will fight in the United States next year, according to his management.

He is a popular boxer in Germany with a knack for exciting fights, including a successful defense last year against Edison Miranda after his jaw was broken twice early in the bout.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
                    I really like watching Abraham, he is a commited fighter. I'd love to see him fight Pavlick, it would be an explosive fight.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

It would be and Pavlik may face him if he wins.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

It would be and Pavlik may face him if he wins.
                        You mean if Pavlick beats Taylor? Much as I like Pavlick, I can't see that happening: I think Taylor is totally overrated but will still have a little too much movement for Pavlick, he'll hit and run all night to points victory. I hope I'm wrong

If Taylor wins, there is talk of him taking the winner of Calzaghe-Kessler.

Pavlick-Abraham would be a good fight though.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Actually Bin ... I'm picking Pavlik in the upset. He was that impresive against Miranda and my thinking is that with Taylor already deciding to leave the division, he is looking to figts down the road.

I have not liked the way taylor has looked since his Hopkins fights.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Actually Bin ... I'm picking Pavlik in the upset. He was that impresive against Miranda and my thinking is that with Taylor already deciding to leave the division, he is looking to figts down the road.

I have not liked the way taylor has looked since his Hopkins fights.
                            I agree that Taylor has looked shody since the Hopkins fights, and how he got a "draw" against Winky I'll never know. Having said that, I think that he was lucky to get the decisions against Hopkins both times, but I can see a case the other way.

I just think Taylor has been in with the better oposition - Pavlick's tough, but it's easy to look good against fighters of the ilk of Miranda. I just think that Taylor will present too many problems for him, although I'd like Pavlick to win.

I see his best tactic to be creating angles and throwing punches from there - Taylor struggles to cope with that.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Pretty Boy the Dancing Boy?

From doghouse boxing

Some news has hit the internet before its scheduled intent. The hit TV Show, 'Dancing With the Stars' is set to announce it's official cast list for it's upcoming season on Wednesday morning's "Good Morning America."

However on Monday, it looks like website TMZ.com has beaten the TV Show to the punch and has gone ahead and released a leaked list of celebrity contestants.

The website TMZ.com reports boxing's pound for pound King, Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be one of the dancing contestants on the popular show.

Floyd Mayweather Jr, who is set to face Ricky Hatton later this year, will join the cast, which reportedly will be 90210's Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth.

Also included in the televised dancing contest will be, model Gisele Bundchen and Cheetah Girls' Sabrina Bryan.

Jane Seymour and Nia Peeples are also expected to be part of the contest.

As for the men who will be joining, aside from Floyd Mayweather Jr, Wayne Newton, billionaire Mark Cuban and Backstreet Boys brother Aaron Carter. Add to the list, Lou Ferrigno, Richard Quest and
                              Helio Castroneves.

The new season is set to premiere on ABC,

Sept. 24 at 8 p.m.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

I just can't imagine Floyd in a gay dancers outfit.

Actually, he looked pretty funny in all the gangster shit he used to wear

Comment

Working...