X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condes captures IBF strawweight title

July 7, 2007

JAKARTA, INDONESIA (TICKER)
    -- Muhammad Rachman's unbeaten streak is over. More importantly, so is his reign as IBF strawweight champion.

Entering without a loss in 41 consecutive bouts, Rachman was knocked down twice as Florante Condes posted a split-decision victory to capture the strawweight title Saturday at the Indoor Tennis Stadium.

Since being beaten on points by Meky Mbatu on April 30, 1998, Rachman had gone 38-0-3, taking the IBF belt from Daniel Reyes along the way. The 35-year-old defended the title three times before running into Condes, who also entered the fight with a modest winning streak of nine.

The pair engaged in a fierce battle, with Rachman (61-6-5) hitting the canvas in both the third and 10th rounds. That proved to be all the 27-year-old Condes (22-3-1, 20 KOs) needed, as he received a favorable 114-112 score on two of the judges' scorecards.

Fighting in his native country, Rachman was given a 117-113 advantage by the third judge. But it was not enough to prevent Condes from winning the first major title of his career.

Comment

Just watched Vladimir Klitschko dominate Brewster.

Won every round, McGirt simply stopped the fight after round 6 because Brewster wasn't doing anything and COULDN'T do anything.

Comment

July 8, 2007

BRIDGEPORT, CONNECTICUT (TICKER) -- Travis Simms had the home crowd behind him. But it was not enough to keep him unbeaten.

Joachim Alcine scored a unanimous decision over Simms to win the WBA light middleweight title Saturday night at the Harbour Yard Arena.

A native of Norwalk, Simms (25-1) was ineffective against Alcine in a bout that saw both fighters have points deducted for excessive clinching. The 36-year-old southpaw, who was making his third defense of the WBA belt since winning it from Alejandro Garcia on December 13, 2003, was knocked off-balance in the ninth and ruled to be down when his glove touched the canvas.

"I hurt my left hand in the third round and the knockdown they called on me was a slip," Simms said. "I thought I did enough to win the fight, but the judges saw it another way. I had an off-night. Hopefully, I can redeem myself in a rematch."

Alcine (29-0, 18 KOs) received scores of 114-111, 115-110 and 116-109 en route to his first major championship. It was the first bout in the United States since May 2003 for the 31-year-old Haitian, whose previous 12 fights took place in Canada.

"It wasn't the best of me that people saw tonight because of Simms' awkwardness," Alcine said. "I felt after the first few rounds, I was behind, so I picked it up as the rounds went on. Now I know I'm good enough to fight anyone in the division."

Another champion lost his crown Saturday as IBF flyweight titleholder Vic Darchinyan was knocked out by Nonito Donaire in the fifth round of their bout.

Previously unbeaten, Darchinyan (28-1) was outboxed from the start and was tagged by a left hook 38 seconds into the fifth that left him on the mat for several minutes. The 31-year-old Armenian southpaw was making his seventh title defense.

"I'm very disappointed," Darchinyan said. "He caught me with a very good shot. I'll be back. I definitely want a rematch. I was trying to load up too much."

Donaire (18-1, 11 KOs) won for the 17th consecutive time. With the victory, the 24-year-old native of the Philippines avenged the loss of his brother Glenn, who had his jaw broken by Darchinyan in their bout last October.

"I came here as the underdog," Donaire said. "Nobody believed in me, but I did it. ... I think the key for me in tonight's fight was, every time Darchinyan threw and landed, I punched back, and tha got him thinking. It took the bully out of him."

Luis Alberto Perez was the third new champion crowned as he scored a seventh-round knockout of Genaro Garcia for the vacant IBF bantamweight belt.

Vying for his 10th straight win, Perez (25-1, 16 KOs) knocked down Garcia in the second before ending the bout with a left hook 39 seconds into the seventh. The 29-year-old Nicaraguan southpaw has not lost since falling to Vernie Torres on September 7, 2000.

"Garcia was very strong," Perez said. "He gave me an excellent challenge. I think I won all the rounds. From the beginning, I could tell I had a reach advantage, so I used it."

The loss was the second in a row for the 29-year-old Garcia (35-6), who also dropped a bout for the WBC bantamweight title against Hozumi Hasegawa on November 13.

"(Perez) had a lot of stamina," Garcia said. "That made it very difficult for me. Perez made the most of his reach advantage. I did the best I could."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...mmsalcine&prov =st&type=lgns

Comment

Report: Taylor to move up to super middleweight

July 10, 2007

LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS (TICKER) -- Jermain Taylor will reportedly move up from middleweight to super middleweight following his proposed fight with No. 1 contender Kelly Pavlik according to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's web site.

Taylor, who is very close to signing a deal to fight Pavlik at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on September 29, said that the WBC and WBO title fight will be his last as a middleweight, which has a limit of 160 pounds.

Taylor, even if he makes his fifth consecutive successful title defense against Pavlik, will vacate his championship belts and begin a new title quest in the 168-pound super middleweight division, according to the report.

A change in class would force Taylor to vacate his titles.

Comment

Calzaghe signs up for Kessler superfight

July 11, 2007

LONDON (Ticker)
            - Joe Calzaghe's superfight against Mikkel Kessler will take place on November 3, it was announced Wednesday.

WBO super-middleweight champion Calzaghe will meet the Dane, who holds the WBA and WBC versions of the belt, at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, in a unification clash between the two unbeaten fighters.

"This is the biggest fight in the world at the moment," promoter Frank Warren said. "Both Joe and Mikkel are at the top of their game."

The 35-year-old Calzaghe, who sealed his reputation as one of the best fighters in the world with a 12-round rout of Jeff Lacy in March last year, had hoped to meet Jermain Taylor next.

The American middleweight king priced himself out a fight, forcing Calzaghe to look elsewhere.

Kessler is a lucrative alternative. The 28-year-old has an impressive 39 victories on his record, 29 coming inside the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by ALinChainz
              Calzaghe signs up for Kessler superfight

July 11, 2007

LONDON (Ticker)
              - Joe Calzaghe's superfight against Mikkel Kessler will take place on November 3, it was announced Wednesday.

WBO super-middleweight champion Calzaghe will meet the Dane, who holds the WBA and WBC versions of the belt, at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, in a unification clash between the two unbeaten fighters.

"This is the biggest fight in the world at the moment," promoter Frank Warren said. "Both Joe and Mikkel are at the top of their game."

The 35-year-old Calzaghe, who sealed his reputation as one of the best fighters in the world with a 12-round rout of Jeff Lacy in March last year, had hoped to meet Jermain Taylor next.

The American middleweight king priced himself out a fight, forcing Calzaghe to look elsewhere.

Kessler is a lucrative alternative. The 28-year-old has an impressive 39 victories on his record, 29 coming inside the distance.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

I can't wait for this fight, it should be a stormer and is good for the sport.

I saw the Klitscho-Brewster fight too, Brewster might as well have not shown up, he did nothing worthwhile.

The heavyweights at the moment are pityful. Holyfield may actually win one of the "world" belts given the level of opposition out there...
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Luevano clinches WBO featherweight title

AFP

July 14, 2007

LONDON (AFP) - America's Steven Luevano sent England's Nicky Cook to the canvas five times on the way to winning the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) featherweight title at the O2 Arena in London on Saturday.

Luevano claimed the vacant title with a dominant display against Cook, who first visited the canvas in the second round after being caught by a left to the temple.

That was Cook's first knockdown in his professional career and he struggled to then claw his way back into contention against 26-year-old Luevano.

Cook was dropped twice by lefts to the body in the ninth round and a right to the head put him down again at the end of the tenth.

But 29 seconds into the 11th and another left to the body left him bent over on his knees in agony as the referee counted him out for the first defeat of his career.

Comment

Alfonso Gomez is beating Arturo Gatti right now, practically shutting him out after 6 rounds.

Gatti is through and he talks about bigger fights yet.

Waiting on Margarito-Williams, that should be exciting.

Comment

As I posted that ... Gomez KOs Gatti ...

Retire Gatti ... while you still have some dignity.

Comment

• Paul Williams wins a unanimous decision over Margarito, fairly easy although Margarito came on later, he simply did not do enough.

Comment

• Gatti says he's done......

Actually sounds like an intelligent decision.

He says he can't compete at 147, and can't make weight at 140, so he's callin it....

Bravo, Thunder........

Cuz wow..you got your ass kicked tonight.

And WIlliams?

Shit...he ran out of gas, but that's what happens when you throw 1,000+ punches....

He won hands down.
                        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• All in all, a nice night of the sweet science!

That is...if someone will PLEASE strangle all of the life out of Larry Merchant. That windbag is worthless......
                          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Not good that Gatti got beaten by an average fighter like Gomez (lots of heart, not too many skills). It's always a shame when the greats go on too long.

I'm very surprised that Magarito got beaten, truly I am. Was he completely dominated?

I saw Luevano-Cook. Fucking great fight to watch, gives me some hope in the sport.

Comment

• Hopkind- Wright is very, very soon.

I can't imagine that there will be much in the way of fire works, but it could be an interesting fight.

How do you guys see it going? Hopkins is the favourite, but I wonder if Wright will be too negative to really allow him to dominate?

Comment

• Margarito was dominated over the first 8 rounds. He came on some after that because like Dloc said, he started to run out of gas.

He did however win the 12th round on all cards.

Margarito bitching about getting robbed is BS.

That fight goes the old route of the 15 rounders back in the day, and he may have pulled it out.

Wright-Hopkins is a toss-up for me. I like Hopkins.

Cintron looked awesome and his only loss is to Margarito, I'd like to see a rematch there.

Comment

Working...
                                X