ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

There's no stat for humble good bloke.

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Originally posted by ashstralia
      Our Daniel had the belief, work, and support to get himself there. We're immensely proud of him.
      True. And a very, very good boxer. Probably on the fringe of world class.

GGG poses a problem at the moment, however. He's a bit like Manny Paquiao: if you can't give him movement, he's going to cut you down. They guy that beats GGG will not be the guy who out punches him or tries to tough it out - it will be the guy who works out how to frustrate him. 160lbs is a weak division now - Martinez was a truly great fighter, but the Cotto fight showed that he's fucked. Cotto won't take on GGG if his handlers have any love for him. And there's not really anyone else. I guess what I'm saying is that although GGG is destroying all of these dudes, until he fights someone who is in their prime and can box I'll be on the fence about whether the hype is merited.

He's great to watch and clearly a beast, but I've seen many a beast tamed.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

Thing I like about him binnie he can take a shot .
        Many a beast is just a bully , but govolkin can take it and dish it out .
        Last edited by vandeleur; 07-28-2014, 07:24 AM.
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I like him too.

I just want to see him tested. If Lara moves up from 154 it could be interesting.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

2/3rds of the way through Tyson's autobiography.

What a crazy bastard although I think he did get some unfair shit done to him over the years, I remember at the time thinking that Desiree rape thing shouldn't have held up but even recently he was denied a visa to do a book tour here because of it.
            Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

What a crazy bastard although I think he did get some unfair shit done to him over the years, I remember at the time thinking that Desiree rape thing shouldn't have held up but even recently he was denied a visa to do a book tour here because of it.
                I forgot about that book. Co-written by "Ratso" Sloman, who helped Howard Stern write both his books.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think it came out last year, it strikes me as fairly honest as it is very self critical throughout but who knows?

I'm listening to it on audio book. Usually I would only listen to an autobiography if it was narrated by the author but in this case I have to admit I'm glad it wasn't.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My favourite line so far was when he shouted at a journalist about how he had to earn more money now he had a kid to support and who would look after him?

At that point he was already making $60 million a year or so. Pretty amazing lack of self awareness by 'Mikey from the Block' after a few hundred pages about how he kept it real...

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Yeah, I read this just after Christmas.

He's a fascinating character: a combination of incredible strength and unbearable weakness, a huge ego and maniacal self-loathing, all mixed up in one cocktail. It's certainly an unflinching read, he doesn't pull any punches ()

You just can't help thinking: 'what a waste'. His time at the top was very short, even by the standards of sportsmen. As with many boxers, he was handled by some shocking people, but his decline is extreme even by the standards of the sport.

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister

I got this at home on the books to read shelf

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I just put it on the tablet.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Hahaha I always thought someone would do this eventually...

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

There are some interesting fights coming up:

Mayweather - Maidanna II

Hopkins - Kovalev (this could be really interesting)

Wilder - Stiverne (is Wilder ready for a heavyweight title shot?)

Also, Kell Brook has announced himself as a force at 147 and Shannon Briggs (remember him) is gunning for a fight with Wlad.

Thought on any of this.

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

Kell brook I like and I think he might get a big money khan big hype fight .

Comment

Working...