Page 13 of 84 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262763 ... LastLast

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

I kinda agree with BHOP.
    I don't think it necessarily should have been stopped when it was , though if Roy had at least thrown a punch or two it certainly would have helped his case. I totally think Roy thought he could block & hold and last out the round 'til he got his shit back together, but the Ref decided he'd seen enough.

Roy's odd in that like I said in P-Mark's thread, Lacy (a known heavy-hitter) nailed him a few times in their fight with what seemed like harder shots, and he withstood it better, but then sometimes someone gets a lucky shot and he's done in 1 or 2 rounds.
    This wasn't nearly as bad as the Tarver or Glenn Johnson (was it?) KO's. It looked like he still had a chance, if he'd just made some attempt to retaliate rather than stand and take it on the ropes, but c'mon - most of those after-shots to the body were blocked, and the ref SHOULD have warned the Aussie dude for that pawing/holding and hitting shit he was doing when Roy was trying to (and otherwise successfully) dodge the headshots. I mean, wtf?
    Definitely hometown advantage aiding in the the lack of the warning and early stoppage, IMO.

The loss to Calzaghe (sp) IMO? He finally met someone with a style weirder than his. Only time I've ever seen him baffled (he was actually complimenting Joe as the fight went on, since Joe didn't have the power to knock him out, but could out weird-box him -"Nice one, Joe", stuff like that). And even then he knocked Joe on his ASS in the 1st round.

But I also agree no one wants to see Roy go the way of Ali...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

I agree Jay, I don't want to see a repeat of Ali.

Roy should call it a day.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Amir Kahn - Dimitri Salita Saturday. WBA Light-Welterweight title.

Freddie Roach has worked miracles with Khan, emphasizing speed a volume punching over power shots which bemused his last couple of opponents. I expect a repeat on Saturday. Salita is tough, and I expect him to go 12, but he's too slow to beat Amir, assuming that the champ's chin holds up. It will be a good spectacle, seeing a no.2 star of Roach's gym in action.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Williams - Martinez this saturday.

Anyone giving Martinez much of a chance in this? I expect a dominant display from Williams, further cementing his right to fight Pavlik.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rumour is that Pacquaio-Mayweather is a done deal for March 13th

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Williams - Martinez this saturday.

Anyone giving Martinez much of a chance in this? I expect a dominant display from Williams, further cementing his right to fight Pavlik.
    I give Martinez a good chance in this fight. My prediction is Martinez by split decision in a close one. I think Martinez' style is a very difficult one to deal with so Williams better come to fight. I can see Martinez totally frustrating Williams in this. Everyone that saw the Kermit Cintron fight knows Martinez won the fight but it ended up a controversial draw. I think Martinez knows that this is another chance on a national stage. The guy is 44-1-2 and is a world class fighter.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I kinda think the Williams-Martinez fight should've been called a draw (as one judge had it; 2nd judge gave it to Williams by a slight lead...3rd judge - was obviously watching another fight...110-119? Are you kidding me?)....anyone else?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

WHAT A FIGHT!

(Congrats to SS for a great breakdown, btw.)

Can someone explain to me how one judge scored it 119-110? I've scored it twice now. The first time I watched it, I had it Williams by one round. When I re-watched it with the sound off (commentators can bias your judgement) I had it Martinez by a round. That close.

There has to be a rematch. I actually think they should do the rematch at 154, which is Martinez's fighting weight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Amir Khan destroyed Dimitri Salita in 76 seconds.

Chris Arreola beat the hell out of Minto in 4 rounds

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

WHAT A FIGHT!

(Congrats to SS for a great breakdown, btw.)

Can someone explain to me how one judge scored it 119-110? I've scored it twice now. The first time I watched it, I had it Williams by one round. When I re-watched it with the sound off (commentators can bias your judgement) I had it Martinez by a round. That close.

There has to be a rematch. I actually think they should do the rematch at 154, which is Martinez's fighting weight.
    The 119-110 score had me floored. When i made my prediction i had no ideas all of the judges would be American. That being said, had the 119-110 judge scored the fight 115-113 for Williams i would have had no problem with it. That was a difficult fight to score - holy shit. Surely a fight of the year candidate. You would have thought at least one of the judges would have scored it the other way creating a draw. What a year for boxing!!! Lets hope 2010 can at least match it.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good call dude, it really was close.

Martinez just became big business. I'd love to see a rematch - I wonder who would make the better adjustments? During the fight, Martinez seemed the more flexible in his gameplan (which surprised me.)

On a side note, I always thought that Williams might be the man to beat Mayweather. Watching Martinez pick him apart though, I don't see it happening. Williams throws a lot of punches, but not many of them land.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I think you're right binnie...Floyd would destroy Williams. He's too good at making the on-the-spot adjustments like that, and Williams was obviously frustrated by Martinez' ability to do so...Floyd would switch up on him multiple times in a single round!
    I think he's going to work the shit out of (and most likely beat) Pacquiao too....saw more media indicating March 13th is indeed the fight date...can't wait!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mayweather - Pacquiao is fascinating.

I think back to Judah-Mayweather. Judah - a fast southpaw like Manny - was getting the better of Mayweather in those opening rounds, until he lost his focus. Perhaps we'll see a repeat of that? That being said, I would say that Judah is faster than Manny (I'll probably get lynched for suggesting that.)

But I just wonder how Manny will cope against a guy he has to go looking for. Marquez exploited the mistakes which come from his over-agressiveness, I think Mayweather will REALLY nail him. But I switch back and forth on the issue at this stage....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Talking

Mayweather - Pacquiao is fascinating.

I think back to Judah-Mayweather. Judah - a fast southpaw like Manny - was getting the better of Mayweather in those opening rounds, until he lost his focus. Perhaps we'll see a repeat of that? That being said, I would say that Judah is faster than Manny (I'll probably get lynched for suggesting that.)

But I just wonder how Manny will cope against a guy he has to go looking for. Marquez exploited the mistakes which come from his over-agressiveness, I think Mayweather will REALLY nail him. But I switch back and forth on the issue at this stage....
    Fascinating indeed. And no, you shouldn't be lynched for saying Judah's faster than Manny, he IS. He was also a much more slick boxer. Manny just charges forward.
    Having said that, doesn't Floyd have a height and reach advantage (in addition to more natural talent) in this matchup? I think that combined with Floyd's obviously superior skills will severely frustrate Manny, which will make him more careless. You mentioned Marquez exploiting Manny's over-aggressiveness (he almost knocked him the F out with one counter-punch as I recall in their last fight, Manny was badly staggered, and had a look on his face like "uh-oh" - they now show that shot in EVERY review of the fight, lol), and Floyd made Marquez (still considered one of the best pound-for-pound) look like a fool in their fight (which is NOT easy to do)! I think there's a bigger chance of Floyd seriously baffling Manny, and getting him out of there.

Plus, for as much trash a Floyd talks he can back it up, but even though Manny's quieter, his ego is clearly larger with the singing, movie-career, political aspirations, etc. - He gets on my nerves far worse.

That, and I'm a little biased - having met him, I dig Floyd's uncle/trainer Roger...that dude knows his stuff and is cool as shit! I remember we were talking about Floyd Jr (this was around '02) and I said "He'll go down as one of the all-time greats if he doesn't get too cocky" and Roger laughed and said "Oh, he's already cocky, but at least the kid can back it up!"

I also liked what Floyd Sr. said after the Pacman-Cotto fight - they asked him how he thought Jr. will fare and he replied "After watching that, I think little Floyd could beat them both - the same night!"

15. Thanked jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

binnie (12-09-2009)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't have a feel for the Manny/ Floyd fight yet. The one thing that strikes me is that there is a big difference in plodding forward type pressure, like Hatton and Marquez, vs smart -head movement pressure like Judah and at times Delahoya. I honestly can't remember who led and who followed in the Judah/Mayweather fight. Guys help me on this. I would assume Judah came forward and Floyd backed up or did they take turns leading?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

IIRC (help me on this, binnie), Judah was the aggressor (and it was working) until the whole chaotic low-blow/corner fight thing broke out, afterwards Judah's head was just not in the game...he was totally rattled, and Floyd took over from there...

I just don't think Manny's fast or smart enough to do what Judah was pulling off.
    Last edited by jhale667; 12-07-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's the fight:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRxFuivqM68&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRxFuivqM68&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTfEbYVjtXo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTfEbYVjtXo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vcoa4PpM4v0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vcoa4PpM4v0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0H7yyVzatTE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0H7yyVzatTE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hSVDZ2d_EQs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hSVDZ2d_EQs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BtbRp7KZaPw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BtbRp7KZaPw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8r4iRAmHck&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8r4iRAmHck&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZYlQOpNxqF4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZYlQOpNxqF4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Judah's southpaw stance, speed and aggression troubles Floyd early on. I think he had Floyd timed perfectly in the early rounds. I doesn't last though, Floyd really fights in the second half.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is anyone giving Kevin 'Kingpin' Johnson a chance on Saturday against Vitali Klitschko?

It's hard to see him lasting 12, IMO. Vitali insidse 8 rounds.

The REALLY interesting fight this weekend is Tim Bradley - Lamont Peterson.

Bradley seems to be a star in the making, but can he handle Peterson's height/reach advantages?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is anyone giving Kevin 'Kingpin' Johnson a chance on Saturday against Vitali Klitschko?

It's hard to see him lasting 12, IMO. Vitali insidse 8 rounds.

The REALLY interesting fight this weekend is Tim Bradley - Lamont Peterson.

Bradley seems to be a star in the making, but can he handle Peterson's height/reach advantages?
    No on Johnson but i think the Bradley/ Peterson will be an entertaining fight. As you pointed out, i think Peterson's height and reach advantages will be the factor in making it a respectable fight but i can't see Peterson being a threat for an upset. If it is half as entertaining as last week's fight i'll be happy.
    In a sad note, i see Holyfield/ Botha is on the horizon. I really hate to see Evander continue along. He is already showing the effects with slower speech.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vialiti - Johnson nearly put me to sleep.

Props to Vitali for his comeback cleenout of the heavyweights, but he really should have KO'd this chump...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone get to see Tim Bradley - Lamont Peterson?

Watch a re-run, a great fight. Bradley could be a superstar if he keeps developing like this...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone get to see Tim Bradley - Lamont Peterson?

Watch a re-run, a great fight. Bradley could be a superstar if he keeps developing like this...
    I watched it live. Good fight. Bradley is a beast. Agree with you on the Vitali fight as well, though it was kind of interesting watching him have to go 12 rounds. Johnson reminds me of a big James Toney that doesn't throw punches.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Johnson reminds me of a big James Toney that doesn't throw punches.
    Brilliant description. Although I thought that Johnson fought like a chump, he has exposed considerable weaknesses in Vitali that we didn't know were there before - I bet David Haye is smiling.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I bet David Haye is smiling.
    Indeed. Did you see Johnson push Vitali's brother after the fight? That was pretty lame of him to do that.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just a guy being petulant because he blew his chance.....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down "Can't nobody stand there and take a punch like me"...

Just a guy being petulant because he blew his chance.....
    If that guy's sole aspiration was to prove he can hang in there with champions, congrats to him, but being one or much less beating one? Didn't see any evidence of that.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone have any thoughts on the Mayweather-Pacquiao debacle?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So, Bhop-Roy Jones is signed for April.

One question - what's the point?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So, Bhop-Roy Jones is signed for April.

One question - what's the point?
    That kind of IS the question at this stage in the game...love Roy, but think I'd give BHop the slight advantage now...

As for Mayweather-Pacquiao? Annoying as hell if it's not gonna happen. Apparently Floyd says he still wants to fight him, but otherwise will go back into retirement?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I agree with you guys. Roy doesn't have anything left and he doesn't need to prove anything. If he wants another big payday, ok. I don't see it as much of a ppv draw.

I couldn't blame Floyd if he did go back into retirement should the fight not happen. There is not much else out there for him to do that would be meaningful.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bhop looked a little sloppy in his tune up, seemed to be getting hit more than normal. Maybe he's finally getting 'old'. Doubt it though - at their primes Roy wins every time. Right now, however, it should be fairly easy for Bhop to beat Superman.

As for Floyd-Pacman - it's a case of two fettered egos. Yeah, it's a cheapshot asking for drug-testing, but if Manny really was a champ he'd do it just to prove Floyd's camp wrong and to regain the psychological advantage.

Floyd has plenty of people he could fight - Paul Williams would be a meaningful fight, as would Shane Mosely (assuming he get's past Berto.) Floyd is so concerned with protecting his '0' that he runs the risk of tarnishing his legacy.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looks like Mayweather-Mosely is a done deal for May 1st. Could be very interesting.

David Haye is going to knock the shit out of John Ruiz on May 15th

There is also a rumour of Pavlik-Martinez on May 8th.

May is shaping up to be a damn fine month!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really like Shane's chances in this fight. I will be curious to see the betting line. Talk about a live underdog.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mayweather-Mosely will be interesting indeed...!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mosely is a guy you can't write off - I'd still put 'money' on Mayweather though. I think Shane will struggle to find him.....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Watched the Edwin Valero fight over the weekend. This guy is undefeated with a perfect knockout record. This is definitely someone to watch out for in some big money fights coming down the line.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've been touting Valero for years - unbelievable power, and, as he showed on Saturday, much, much more.

The problem he faces is that he has a metal plate in his head (I'm not joking), which means that he will struggle to get licensed in many states. That might be an obstacle in getting the big fights.

That being said, right now Valero gets his head boxed by off by any of the best fighters in the world. As powerful and capable as he is, a slick guy should take him to pieces as he's just too open.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I had never seen Valero fight before until Saturday. I was quite impressed. As the commentators pointed out, he is not a defensive liability. After watching him i would have to agree. I thought he may be one of these fighters, like a Hatton, who is offensive but gets hit a ton just to get in. That wasn't the case. Valero was very quick and slick. He has very fast feet and he moves well. DeMarco is not a mullet so i can understand him getting hit some, but for the most part he ducked and slipped everything he threw. That being said, i can see where a Manny or a Floyd could have success against him. That's not really a knock against Edwin because i don't think there is a fighter in the world who could avoid their punches. I wouldn't put him in the top pound for pound class yet but i would say he is in the top 5% of the fighters in the sport. With him getting cut by that elbow in the second, most fighters would have looked for a way out but he never thought about the fight being stopped. That showed me most of what i needed to know - heart, drive and will to win under durest.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good call Sonrisa - I don't even think he's the best lightweight in the world yet, but we'll have to wait and see. Plenty of good fights to be made there.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sad news. I saw on ESPN last night that Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero has vacated his title to take care of his wife who has luekemia. She must have gotten to a very bad stage because he has been taking care of her for a couple of years now while still pursuing his career. Thoughts and prayers go out to Mrs. Guerrero. Here is a link to one of many articles on the situation:

http://www.examiner.com/x-38810-Denv...yond-his-years
    Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 02-17-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Thread Information