• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Ok, big fights this coming Saturday. Here are some predictions@

Mosely-Cotto.

I've said a couple of times that I'm picking Cotto for this, and I stand by it. However, I'm not as confident as I was. Cotto's questionable jaw comined with Mosely's speed, accuracy and power don't make for a happy Latino night! That been said, Cotto has always managed to pick himself up before. For me Cotto still wins, and gets stronger as the fight goes on, wearing Sugar Shane down. In his youth, Mosely would have walked this but a combination of age, not having fought at 147 for years and not having an opponent of this calibre for quite some times makes for a bitter night for the sweet one.

Carl Froch- Robin Reid.

This is for the Birtish 168 titile. Froch is no.1 contender for the WBC Super Middlesweight title and wants Joe Calzaghe badly. Reid is the former WBC super-middle weight champion (he won it 9 years ago) who pushed Joe Calzaghe has close to losing as nayone has (albeit largely because Joe boxed like shit, not because Reid was amazing.) Both are massive punchers. Reid's last noticalbe outing was 2005 against Jeff Lacy where some questionalbe refereeing made "Left-hook's" night a lot easier. Reid was stopped in the 8th. For me, Froch wins this with a late stoppage. Although Froch has questionable defence, I don't think that Reid is quick enough to capitalize on it these days. Should be a war in the early rounds, but the 36 year old Reid will eventually be worn down.

David Haye - Jean Marc-Mckormack (yes, I've spelt it incorrectly)

This one is for the Cruiserweight title of the world. once again both are big hitters. Haye has the advantage of youth, but has a glass jaw (why he's intneding to move up to heavyweight after this I'll never know...). Mckormack is a brutal fighter, and for all Haye's power and range fighting ability, I see the Mckormack taking him to the trenches and winning either by late stoppage or on points.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Ok, Carl Froch beat the shit out of Reid, who was clearly a shot fighter.

Just finished watching Haye-Mccormack. Depsite the Frenchmen posing Haye problems early on, Haye knocked him out in spectacular fassion. Brutal.

Haye is going to move up to heavywieght, and with his punching power he might actually do something. I was really impressed with him tonight.

If he relinquishes the WBA and WBC titles which he's just won, it'll blow the Cruiserweight division wide-open. Good times.

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Cotto-Mosley was a great fight. Cotto won on points by three rounds, I was impressed by his chin and jab, and surprised that he was head hunting rather than working to the body.

Mosley put up a good fight, but his hands and feet aren't as fast as they used ti be. He's still a guy to be reckoned with, but he was worn down by Cotto's relentless stalking. Not the out and out war we were expecting, but a good fight nonetheless.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Antonio Margarito was on fire - decked Golden Johnson in one round. He'll be back at the top of the welter's in no time.

I thought that Casamayora was lucky to get the points win - he looked old in his fight and didn't seem to want to be there. He is no longer the best lightweight in the world.

Comment

• DlocRoth
            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I was really impressed with Mosley.....he still has damn good skills....

I had Cotto winning, but I was never relaxed.....

Mosley hurt him a couple of times.......

A great fight.
            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• DlocRoth
              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

And Casamayore got his ass kicked for 12 rounds......

I haven't seen too many bigger highway robberies than that.

Dreadful.
              Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                And Casamayore got his ass kicked for 12 rounds......

I haven't seen too many bigger highway robberies than that.

Dreadful.
                Yeah, I thought he lost the last seven rounds at least. He was a legend but he's clearly gotten old over night.

I was really impressed with Mosley.....he still has damn good skills....

I had Cotto winning, but I was never relaxed.....

Mosley hurt him a couple of times.......

A great fight.
                Mosley's skills are still good, but his hands and feet aren't as quick as they once were and he doesn't bang as hard either (maybe the effect of moving down a weight?). He also looked tired from about the 7th

He is still a force to be reckoned with though, and I'm not taking anything away from Cotto by saying that he fought a past his prime fighter: Shane isn't shot by any means, but he's not the man who beat De La Hoya either.

Cotto should take on either the winner of Mayweather-Hatton, or the winner of Cintron-Williams. Both would be good fights.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Here's David Haye knocking out Jean Marc McCormeck in rd 7. Powerful as hell.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B19Re17fmWk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B19Re17fmWk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• DlocRoth
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

See, I don't know....

I'm not disagreeing with you, Bin....

But I thought Mosley looked strong....just not strong enough to beat Cotto.....

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Oh, he definately looked strong - he's not a shot fighter by any means.

But he's not what he used to be either: his hand and foot speed was noticably slower, and his power isn't as devastating. But he is still a world-class fighter, and would have beaten many other world-class welterweights. What I'm trying to say is, he's not the man who beat De la Hoya (luckily for Cotto), but he's still good enough to be amongst the best in the division.

I'm not taking anything away from Cotto, he beat a legend. Cotto is also getting better and better - his jab looked great, as did his movement. He still seems a little easy to hit, and if he tightens his defence a little then he will be a real force for quite some time.

Comment

• DlocRoth
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Cotto's jab looked amazing...yep.

And youre right about Mosley....

When at one time you're considered for pound for pound status......

Anything less is uncivilized.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

When at one time you're considered for pound for pound status......

Anything less is uncivilized.
                          Yep. Mosley would still have a competitive chance in a rematch, not that it'll ever happen. He's still in amongst the best fighters in the world, but he's probably only got 18 months to two years left.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Well, there's plenty of chatter about Hopkins-Calzaghe. Hopkins has said he'll give Joe a facelift.

That made me laugh, as Hopkins has never given anyone a facelift: he's a boxing master, a technician, not a brawler. If I'm honest, I don't think this fight will happen because of $$$$: Hopkins wants the big paydays, and probably realizes that he'll get more by fighting the winner of Jones-Trinidad (which will be Jones, no question.) Seems to me that would be a pointless fight - neither Jones or Trinidad is a force is boxing anymore.

However, Roy Jones has also called Calzaghe out. Don't see that happening either. Not much point if it did anyway.

I actually think BHop-Calzaghe would be an intriguing fight. It's wouldn't be explosive because Hopkins fights so negatively. Depsite the fact that Hopkins if arrogant, annoying, brash, generally uninformed and consistently refers to himself in the third person (nothing quite screams "I'm an asshole" more than that) I have to admit that he has one of the best boxing brains EVER. And given the fact that he is still competitive at 43, I have to give him respect.

Calzaghe-Hopkins should happen, but I doubt it will.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Did anyone see Guzman kick the living shit out of Soto for 12 rounds on Saturday? I was expecting a close fight, but it was incredibly one-sided. Soto just couldn't hit him consistently.

Very impressive. Guzman could do something spectacular if he gets the right fights....

Comment

• DlocRoth
                                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

The fight was close for maybe 4 rounds....a real slug fest.

Soto got worn out and then pounded.

Comment

Working...