X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Bernard Hopkins hammered Roy Jones Jr. last night...

wish this would have happened 10 years ago...when Jones wasn't a has been...but Jones refused...

At least RJJ was a game fighter...but Hopkins busted him up pretty good.

I'm hoping it's the last fight for both...Jones' legacy is already hurt...Hopkins, at 45, is still intact...but time to stop...

Had Jones had a bit more...Hopkins would have spent more time in the hospital than he already had to.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Sergio Mora returned to the ring, and beat the hell out of Calvin Green. He hasn't fought since losing the junior middleweight title to Vernon Forrest, after upsetting Forrest for the title to begin with. After nearly two years...he fought again...and won.

This guy walks through the fight game like he's on eggshells...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

I thought that Hopkins was disgraceful in that fight - RJJ has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING left, he is a shell of his former self. Bhop should have KO'd him at this stage. The play acting after the low blow and rabbit punching was pathetic, and proves that the man can no longer go beyond 6 rounds of sustained activity without taking a rest. I also thought his fighting after the bell and repeated headbutting was disgraceful.

RJJ handidly outpointed him waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1993 - whilst they were at their respective primes, a repeat would have looked them same because Hopkins struggles with guys who can move and have fast hands - that's why he struggled with Jerman Taylor (I actually thought he won both fights, but they were close.)

Both of these guys are ATGs. They should retire now.
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

As for Sergio Mora - I don't see him ever winning a title again. Maybe if Pavlik moves up from 160 he could get a piece of the action there, but I doubt it.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

David Haye destroted John Ruiz on Saturday in 9 rounds. Ruiz was on his ass after 25 seconds, and down repeatedly throughout the fight until his corner stopped it.

Haye looked electrifying - I still don't think he beats the Klits, but he has the power and speed to make it a good argument.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by binnie
              I thought that Hopkins was disgraceful in that fight - RJJ has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING left, he is a shell of his former self. Bhop should have KO'd him at this stage. The play acting after the low blow and rabbit punching was pathetic, and proves that the man can no longer go beyond 6 rounds of sustained activity without taking a rest. I also thought his fighting after the bell and repeated headbutting was disgraceful.

RJJ handidly outpointed him waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1993 - whilst they were at their respective primes, a repeat would have looked them same because Hopkins struggles with guys who can move and have fast hands - that's why he struggled with Jerman Taylor (I actually thought he won both fights, but they were close.)

I've never been a Hopkins...ever...and have always thought that RJJ, in his prime, was in a class by himself. He repeatedly refused to fight Hopkins over the years, if I remember correctly (and I may not be), while they were still in their prime. He wasn't running from him, but trying to piss him off. Hopkins and Jones Jr. can't stand each other...so I get the theatrics.

Now it's time for both to retire.

I do think Mora will get another chance at a title. Mind you, I don't think he'll win, but he'll get a chance. He's got some pub, and can be beaten.

So we'll see.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

David Haye destroted John Ruiz on Saturday in 9 rounds. Ruiz was on his ass after 25 seconds, and down repeatedly throughout the fight until his corner stopped it.

Haye looked electrifying - I still don't think he beats the Klits, but he has the power and speed to make it a good argument.
                John Ruiz...painful...

Haye did look good...lively for that fight...

No...not good enough to beat Klit, but a decent fighter...

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Good call Pojo - Mora is an awkaward fighter, but I think he lacks the heart to succesfully stay at the top.

I'll never forget that he turned down a fight with Jermain Taylor when the latter was middleweight champ because it was in Taylor's home town. What kind of contender passes on a title shot?

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

Speaking of disgraceful...........this saturday night:

At Las Vegas (Integrated Sports PPV): Evander Holyfield vs. Frans Botha, 12 rounds, heavyweights
                    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

What's that fight billed as?

"A Has Been vs a Never Was".

Jesus Christ - gotta love Holyfield, but he needs to hang 'em up....

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Here's a low-quality recording of the Haye fight if anyone didn't see it.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/frGwUItytEY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/frGwUItytEY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOvkRbEFGAM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOvkRbEFGAM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WZcOAN3jaE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WZcOAN3jaE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FoRs701Bio&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FoRs701Bio&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hope this guy's commentating isn't too annoying.

I've never seen anyone dominate Ruiz like this - RJJ aside.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2005

Well, i see Holyfield beat Botha. Bad news, however, as Holyfied captured a belt and now wants Vlad or Vitali. If this were to happen overseas, it may actually get sanctioned and that would be very bad for Evander. I think he doesn't realize that he could get killed.

Evander Holyfield stopped Frans Botha in the eighth round to win the WBF heavyweight title Saturday night.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Holyfield only fights like once a year, so I doubt it'll happen.

I hope for his sake that it doesn't - Holy could make a decent income fighting lots of has-beens in the US.....

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2005

Big weekend for boxing coming up.

Kelly Pavlick vs Sergio Martinez

You know Martinez is my boy and i am going with him for the upset here. If this were the same Pavlick of a couple of years ago i would have to go with Kelly. However, he hasn't fought the same since the loss to BHop. He may surprise me and return to old form here but i am betting against it. Martinez, after the robbery draw against Kermit Cintron fought Paul Williams tooth and nail. Williams is a fighter that Pavlick has seemed to avoid. Williams couldn't knock Martinez out. Pavlick is a little harder puncher but not quite as quick as Williams. I am looking for Martinez to frustrate Kelly early with speed, movement and timely hard shots which will wear him down over the course of the fight. Pavlick won't go away easily so i still look for the fight to be close. Martinez also got very tired in the latter rounds against Williams. In the end, i look for Martinez to win by split decision.

Lucian Bute vs. Edison Miranda

I'm calling for another upset here. I don't think Bute has fought a world class fighter yet. Bute has speed and quickness and should be able to outpount Miranda easily if he can survive getting hurt. We know that Miranda is a devistating power puncher who will be chasing Bute all night. The million dollar question is what happens to Bute's legs the first time he gets caught by a decent shot. I don't think he can make it, thus i am taking Miranda in a knockout by round 9.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Pavlik-Martinez should be a good scrap.

I've watched Williams-Martinez six times now, and every time I score it differently. I am not at all convinced that Williams won that fight, and I think that Martinez has been unlucky in the past (like the 'draw' against Cintron - laughable.)

That being said, Martinez doesn't have the same calibre of opponents on his resume that Pavlik does (Williams aside.) Some would argue that's a big factor in calling this fight, but I'm not so sure. Martinez may be behind in experience, but I'd say he's ahead in momentum - the fight with Williams will have been invigorating, despite the defeat, and Pavlik has generally looked like dogshit since Bhop made him look like a glorified journeyman. Martinez is no Bhop, but he's not a come forward in straight lines slugger that Kelly likes, either. I expect Martinez to cause Kelly some problems, but I doubt he'll have the power to seriosuly hurt Pavlik. The question of how he takes Pavlik's shots is more interesting - Kelly is a heavy handed middleweight, and Martinez has campaigned for most of his fights at 154. This could be decisive.

At the moment, however, I'm leaning towards Martinez is a close fight, maybe a SD. I don't think that Kelly's re-gained any of the momentum he lost with Bhop, and I think that Martinez's speed and evasive footwork will be enough to prevent the bigger man being able to use his power for any consistent length of time. I stress that's an initial consideration - it might change as I (force myself) to re-watch Kelly's last two fights....
                                I'll stick to the prediction I made here - still not convinced Martinez can handle the power, but all things considered I think he'll win on points.

Comment

Working...