X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Calzaghe-Kessler this coming Saturday people!

I think this could well be the fight of the year, should be a killer.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

For me Calzaghe-Kessler is too close to call. I said a few pages back that I didn't want to jinx my boy (Calzaghe) by making a prediciton, and I stand by that (yes, I am a pussy!)

Opinion seems to be split two-ways.

1) The Calzaghe-sheep. These are the wholly biased boxing fans who think that this is going to be Calzaghe-Lacy II. It isn't. People who think this clearly know very little about boxing. Lacy was a very good fighter, potentially he could have been great: lots of power, good chin, strong, durable and accurate. But he got taken to school by someone far, far superior. But Kessler is nothing like Lacy, who just comes forward all night. Kessler likes to sit back, counter-punch, and prefers is opponent to come to him; he also has far, far better footwork that Lacy. How this will be Lacy II then I'll never know.

2) The Kessler-sheep. Kessler is going to blitz Calzaghe all the way home. Equally erroneous view. Kessler has never faced anyone like Joe, who is quick-footed, has unbelievable handspeed, and genuinely loves to go toe-to-toe. Joe will be too quick and work too hard to get "blitzed". Those who are arguing for a late KO may be closer to the point however, rounds 10-12 may be viable. The second arguemtn is that Joe Calzaghe slpas and can't hurt Kessler. Equally wrong. Lacy looked like a bus had hit him, so don't tell me Joe can't punch. Sure, because of his hand injuries he's had to alter his style (in the late 90s he could REALLY band, Chris Eubank said no-one ever hit him harder), but both Kessler and Calzaghe have a similar KO percentage.

There are a couple of variables: if Calzaghe has gotten old overnight then Kessler's work will be considerably easier, and if he damages his hands then I van't see the fight going the distance.

But these variables aside, I just think its too close to call. Calzaghe has faced guys like Kessler before: European style, big punching, great jab and fast feet. But he's never faced one guy that had all of these features (Kessler is a unique fighter, something really special). But then again, Kessler has never faced anyone like Calzaghe, and how he copes with the handspeed will be significant. For my money, this fight swings on how Kessler manages Calzaghe: if he can control the pace, and not allow himself to be overwhlemed and taken out of his comfort zone (what JC specializes in) then he stands an fantastic chance of winning.

Boxing wins either way: if Calzagje loses, we;ve had 10 years of a unique fighter who's beaten 6 other belt holders and done Britian proud. If Kessler loses, it'll only be a matter of time before he's champ again: once JC retires, he'll dominate the Super-mids, and maybe even the light-heavies, for as long as he wants to because there's no-one around to match his skill level and power.

I for one am looking forward to a classic.

Comment

• DlocRoth
        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Nice op. Bin.....

Can't wait for this fight.

I'm going with Joe.
        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Originally posted by DlocRoth
          Nice op. Bin.....

Can't wait for this fight.

I'm going with Joe.
          Cheers Doc. We have a good fornight ahead of us for boxing: the Saturday after Calzaghe-Kessler, we have Mosely-Cotto. Two great fights, IMO. Thing is, over here I have to stay up till like 3am to watch them because of the time difference, so Mrs binnie is going to be pissed at me. I'm sure it'll be more than worth it though...

I'm going for Cotto in that one, although I wouldn't be surprised if Sugar Shane pulled it off...

Comment

• DlocRoth
            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I'm taking Cotto there too....

#1 He's the younger, better fighter....

#2 I never got into Shane...for some reason, I'm always rooting for the other fighter in all his fights.
            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by DlocRoth
              I'm taking Cotto there too....

#1 He's the younger, better fighter....

#2 I never got into Shane...for some reason, I'm always rooting for the other fighter in all his fights.
              Well, I've always been a huge Shane fan because of his speed and footwork, but I can see that he's not the kind of guy that makes people root for him. The age is the key reason why I'm picking Cotto, that and the fact he's hungirer, added with the fact that Mosely hasn't fought at 147 for a while and hasn't fought anyone in Cotto's league for years.

I see Cotto being too young and durable and wearing Mosely down. Cotto's a slow starter, so Shane will probably take the first 3 or 4 rounds and then be slowly ground down. I can't see Cotto landing shots cleanly enough on Shane to stop him, so I'd go for a points victory.

Comment

• DlocRoth
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, I don't see a KO.....

Might be a boring ass fight....

But that's not stopping me from catching it.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

I don't think it'll be boring as Cotto is involved!

Might not be the classic it's being halied as though...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Kessler was tight, he respected Calzaghe's power where he really didn't have anything, and got outboxed.

I had it 116-112 for JC, and Kessler just didn't have it tonight.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Just watched Calzaghe-Kessler.

Fuckin' great fight! Wasn't a "war" but it was never going to be: Kessler never gets involved in out-and-out punch ups, he's a banger but he uses his power from boxing. This was a fascinating fight, a fight fans fight rather than an awe-inspiring feat of endurance.

With the exception of the 4th and the 12th (which Joe gave away) Kessler really didn't do much. He managed to get some big shots off, but only one at a time.

Calzaghe is the fuckin' man: surely the greatest middleweight of all time, and now surely in the top 5 pound for pound fighters in the world. His speed was the crucial factor, and he was clearly punching harder than Kessler expected. Kessler just couldn't adapt to Calzaghe's style: as soon as Joe worked out that he could drive Kessler back through boxing rather than coming forward (as he did to his dteriment in the 4th) then it was game over.

Calzaghe has nothing left to prove at 168: unless Jermain Taylor or Kelly Pavlick move up then I think Joe will step up to 175. Jermain Taylor would get demolished like Lacy as all he can do is come forward. Pavlick wold be harder because he can create angles.

But bring 'em on, bring on fuckin anyone: including Bernard Hopkins. Now that would be fascinating!

Can y'all tell I'm buzzing? My boy just put on another boxing master-class.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

If Kessler can recover from this (mentally) then he will dominate 168 for a long, long time. Once again, I don't see Pavlick or Taylor proving any problem for him: his handspeed is incredible, and he throughs straight punches with BIG power in either hand.

His face is pretty badly marked up, and he didn't like body shots, bu Kessler is an the man at this division for the future. I also think that he could beat most of the guys at 175, Hopkins aside.

In the post-fight interview he also showed himself to have real class: no bad-mouthing, no excuses, just humbility in defeat.

With all the skills he has, he can beat the shit out of anyone - except Calzaghe of course!

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                          Kessler was tight, he respected Calzaghe's power where he really didn't have anything, and got outboxed.

I had it 116-112 for JC, and Kessler just didn't have it tonight.
                          I had it 117-111, so we saw it pretty much the same. Kessler did perform badly, he's just never faced anyone as fast as Joe, or anyone who could back him up (after round 5 when JC started to box, it was pretty much game-over for Kessler).

I have to respect Mikkel for not giving up and showing great concetration and patience - the shots he caught JC with in the later orunds were the product of his heart and patience. He will be a great champion if he wants to be: he'll kill Taylor, Pavlick, Lacy or Lucien Bute. He's too powerful and too fast on his feet.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Would seem both are ready for light heavy and 175.

Although I think JC might have some options that Kessler will have to work for now.

JC wants Hopkins, and would give him trouble.

This fight was a downer because Kessler let the pressure get him, I couldn't shake the feeling that the lack of a "big fight" beat him before the opening bell.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                              Would seem both are ready for light heavy and 175.

Although I think JC might have some options that Kessler will have to work for now.

JC wants Hopkins, and would give him trouble.

This fight was a downer because Kessler let the pressure get him, I couldn't shake the feeling that the lack of a "big fight" beat him before the opening bell.
                              I thought this was a fascinating fight - not an all out war but I knew it wouldn't be as Kessler doesn't fight like that and knew that if he stood toe-to-toe with Joe, or came forward at him, he would get hit too many times. It was fascinating because of the boxing skills on display.

I thought the first six rounds were as good as I've seen in years. Within each round one guy would get the upper hand, and then the ohter would snatch it back. Right up until round seven it couldhave gone either way, even if Calzaghe was edging ahead.

I think the "big fight" nerves were part of it but I would have expected them to have been more of a factor early on. I would say that Kessler looked confident going into the ring though, he didn't look overwhlemed. The problem was that between rounds 7-11 he didn't know how to counter joe's speed and allowed himself to be put on the back foot (he can't fight going backwards). It was at this point that he started to look a little out of his depth.

Still think that Mikkel will acheive great things though.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Cotto-Mosely next week, what a month for boxing!

Comment

Working...