X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    This fight was tough to score. HBO's Harold Lederman had Pavlik up but a point or two but the judges at ringside all had Taylor up by at least three byt the time of the stoppage.

A war.
    I missed this fight due to unforseen circumstances.

However, I have sinced seen it and yes, it was a war. As soon as Pavlick got his jab working though, it started to swing his way. Seemed to me that Taylor was really tired - perhaps because he struggles to make 160 - but that's not to take anything away from Pavlick who fought like a motherfucker.

Anyone know if there will be a rematch I'm sure I read somewhere about a rematch clause in the contract, but at 168 rather 160.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

I hope its not true about Mosely, I really do...

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

What surprised me about it was Pavlik, more than once, tried to "showboat" and be a tough guy and stick his tongue out and his chin out and he got caught, knocked down, and damn near ... damn near ... knocked out.

I don't know how he held on, and I also would not have been surprised if it had been stopped, given the nature of the stoppage. I wish they would have let Taylor at least try to get up. Taylor must have been hurt enough though because he conceded the knockout in the dressing room.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Originally posted by ALinChainz
          What surprised me about it was Pavlik, more than once, tried to "showboat" and be a tough guy and stick his tongue out and his chin out and he got caught, knocked down, and damn near ... damn near ... knocked out.

I don't know how he held on, and I also would not have been surprised if it had been stopped, given the nature of the stoppage. I wish they would have let Taylor at least try to get up. Taylor must have been hurt enough though because he conceded the knockout in the dressing room.
          I know what you mean, but the other side of me says that there's no point some guy getting really hurt by being allowed to continue.

Pavlick showed real stupidity in showboating, but real heart and courage in getting up. The two guys were fairly evenly matched in terms of skills and power, but it was because Pavlick wanted it more that he won: that's what's so great about boxing.

I'd like to see Pavlick take on Arthur Abraham next - that would be a hell of a fight, as Abraham likes nothing more than a war!

I think Pavlick stepping up to take on the winner of Calzaghe-Kessler would be too much for him at this stage, and it would leave the middleweights without a discernable star.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Any of you guys seen the Contender III? Thoughts?

I'm glad they're doing the 168 division, as I've always thought that it should get more attention.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Holyfield takes on Sultan Ibragimov this weekend. My heart wants Evander to win this (well, my heart actually wants him to quit boxing for his health) but my head says he can't largely because of the volume of punches that the Sultan throws.

Earler, I predicted a Holyfield win (going with my heart) on the understanding that he probably punches harder than anyone Sultan has faced, and also has WAY more experince and boxing nouse; his head movement has also been much better since his shoulder surgery, and he can now roll some punches.

But can he REALLY do it? Or am I living in a Rocky script?

I think I'm usually pretty good with boxing predictions (although I predicted Taylor over Pavlick, admitedly stating it would be close), but with a legend like Holyfield it is hard to be rational, I think the fact that I want him to win so much makes me believe that he can.

I suppose we'll see...

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Joe Calzaghe marks his 10th Anniversary as champion tommorrow.

Wonder if he'll still be one after Nov 3rd and Kessler.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Barrera says goodbye to boxing (from canadianpress)

While Barrera says farewell to boxing, Pacquiao ready for new challenges
                  2 days ago

LAS VEGAS - Marco Antonio Barrera quietly signed autographs for eager fans, holding a pen in his left hand and his youngest daughter in his right arm.

Barrera's daughter curiously poked at the still-fresh cut on her daddy's right eye, fiddling away until the Mexican champion flinched ever so slightly.

Barrera wants to spend more time with his kids and less time in recovery. That's why the 33-year-old fighter, still a world-class competitor, but past his best nights, vows he's finished with boxing after losing a unanimous decision Saturday night in an entertaining rematch with Manny Pacquiao.

"This is my last fight inside this beautiful sport," Barrera said Saturday night while his trainer, Sendai Tanaka, quietly wept a few feet away. "I say goodbye to this beautiful sport, but I fought the best fighters. I fought my best tonight. I'm happy."

While many a brash boxer has reneged on a threatened retirement, Barrera doesn't seem to be bluffing. He's a serious, wealthy man who has never pretended to walk away before. Plus, Barrera probably sees he's not up to the lofty standard set by Pacquiao despite the Mexican champion's valiant effort in the rematch of their 2003 bout.

"He is a great champion," Pacquiao said. "I am very honoured to beat him."

In front of a spirited, nationalistic crowd at Mandalay Bay, Pacquiao failed to put Barrera on the canvas, the first time that Philippines' favourite son didn't register a knockdown in seven fights since his last loss to Erik Morales in March 2005.

Barrera never hurt Pacquiao, except for a shady blow while the referee separated them in the 11th round, leaving Pacquiao momentarily woozy against the ropes. The slight was forgotten when Pacquiao led the standing ovation for Barrera at their post-fight news conference.

Pacquiao's victory was another boon to his native Philippines, currently bedeviled by battles between government troops and Marxist and Muslim insurgents. Some troops were drawn away from combat duties so they could watch the bout, while millions of fans emptied Manila's usually packed streets.

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, was content with almost every aspect of his easily distracted superstar's effort, though it's easy to sense Roach's mild frustration with the minor weaknesses that prevent Pacquiao from being essentially perfect.

"Manny's in-and-out motion and the feints slowed (Barrera) down a lot," Roach said. "Manny's footwork was too much for him. He was fighting a smarter fight. Speed and power is not enough to stay in this game forever. I want him to keep working."

While Barrera's skills might have slipped a bit, Pacquiao still seems to be at his peak, and he has plenty of options for his next step, including a move up to lightweight.

"We've been talking about it," Roach said, adding that Pacquiao gained 14 pounds between Friday's weigh-in and fight night. "I think he definitely can fight at 135. It's getting a little harder to get down to 130, and I think he's ready to step up."

Pacquiao's most intriguing future prospect at 130 pounds might be a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez, who fought Pacquiao to an entertaining draw in 2004.

Pacquiao knocked down Marquez three times in the first round of that fight, but Marquez rallied fiercely. Marquez faces Rocky Juarez on Nov. 3 in Las Vegas in a bout that was postponed from Sept. 14. Since promoters Oscar De La Hoya and Bob Arum have settled their long-standing legal battles, Pacquiao might be eager to take on another Golden Boy power.

Joan Guzman also appeared at Saturday night's news conference to publicly challenge Pacquiao, though Arum said Guzman should be worrying more about his 130-pound fight with Humberto Soto on Nov. 17.

Both would be compelling matchups for Pacquiao, as would David Diaz, the WBC champion who knocked Morales into retirement in August.

"I'll be happy whoever I fight," Pacquiao said. "I don't want to compare my talent. I just think I'm an ordinary fighter, that I can fight a good fighter or the best fighter. I don't think I'm the best."

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

I didn't see the Barrera-Pacquiao fight, but it sounds like it was a lot more one-sided than the first one (which I had pretty even, maybe Barrera even edged it in my eyes).

An all time great, no doubting that, and a true warrior - Barrera will be missed.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Sam Peter beats Jerry McCline (from eastside boxing)

Duva Boxing's Samuel Peter Shows "Heart of a Champion" In Victory Over Jameel McCline

New York, October 9—“Samuel Peter has the heart of a champion, great fighters have the heart to win when they are down,” said Dino Duva, promoter of the WBC interim Heavyweight Champion following his fight at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night.

Peter, the knockout artist known as the Nigerian Nightmare, was having a nightmare of his own, when challenger Jameel McCline knocked him to the canvas late in the second round, and several times in the third. But Peter rose from the canvas, dusted himself off, and proceeded to dominate McCline the rest of the way. Add to the mix that Peter had badly injured his left hand during training camp, and you have an even more impressive performance.

“Sam, with a champion’s heart, went through with the fight in spite of the injury, unlike several champions who have pulled out of major fights recently,” said Duva.

Slugger has Fan-Friendly Style

“Sam’s not at his full potential yet, not even close,” said Duva. “You witnessed the beginning of a new era in the heavyweight division, the Sam Peter era, a new era of excitement and explosion in the heavyweight division. Sam’s an exciting slugger and brawler, who loves to mix it up. It’s a style that the fans and television love. His style will have fans flocking back to the heavyweight division.”

Peter now has his sights set on unifying the heavyweight division. In line are Oleg Maskaev, the original opponent for the Garden fight before an 11th hour back injury forced him to the sidelines, IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko, WBA titlist Ruslan Chagaev, and the winner of the upcoming WBO championship featuring Sultan Ibragimov against Evander Holyfield.

“Sam’s goal is to fight all of the champions and become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world,” said Duva. “He clearly showed on Saturday that he’s the man to do it. You can’t keep a good man down.

“We are honored and grateful to the WBC and Jose Sulaiman to be the first to recognize Sam as the heavyweight champion.”

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

I feel that I can state with a great confidence that Sam Peter will never be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. Shannon Briggs has more chance.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Anyone see the Diaz-Diaz lightweight fight last night?

Juan Diaz annihilated Julio, because the latter allowed himself to be drawn into a brawl rather than using his height and footwork advantages. I was pretty confident than Juan would win becasue he is so relentless and has so much power, but I didn't think that Julio would be so easy to beat. The fight was stopped in the 8th.

Juan Diaz vs Joel Casamayar would be a magnifienet fight, (I think JC would win but it would be tough). However, there is now talk about Amnny Pacquiana moving up to face Diaz. Both those guys are come forward punchers who fight relentlessly, so it would be a war. My head says Pacqaiano would win because I think that he is the best pound for pound fighhter on the planet, but we don't know how he woud cope at 135.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by binnie
                            Holyfield takes on Sultan Ibragimov this weekend. My heart wants Evander to win this (well, my heart actually wants him to quit boxing for his health) but my head says he can't largely because of the volume of punches that the Sultan throws.

Earler, I predicted a Holyfield win (going with my heart) on the understanding that he probably punches harder than anyone Sultan has faced, and also has WAY more experince and boxing nouse; his head movement has also been much better since his shoulder surgery, and he can now roll some punches.

But can he REALLY do it? Or am I living in a Rocky script?

I think I'm usually pretty good with boxing predictions (although I predicted Taylor over Pavlick, admitedly stating it would be close), but with a legend like Holyfield it is hard to be rational, I think the fact that I want him to win so much makes me believe that he can.

I suppose we'll see...
                            looks like I was living in a Rocky script!

I didn't buy this fight because I wanted to watch the Diaz's. However, the reports suggest that a brave Holyfield was beaten solidly on points 8 rounds to 4. Holyfield could n;t cope with Sultan's counterpunching, and could only get one shot off at a time (a sign of a shot fighter.)

What I had forgotten to take into account is that Evander has always struggled with Southpaws. Seems that he made a big mistkae this time by constantly circling onto Sultan's big left hand, rather than away from it. Maybe with better tactics he could have won...

It was a game performance against a world champ, and Holyfield aims to continue. That;'s carazy in my view - whose he going to fight? Klitchstcho would brutalize him, and I think Peter would have too much as well despite his recent shitty performance.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

For anyone who didn't see the Diazs' fight, here are some highlights. Very good once you get through the first three minutes of shitty music:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNyl-k1EeQ0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNyl-k1EeQ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Why Julio decided to stand toe to toe and not box behind his jab I'll never know...

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Here's Sam Peter impersonating Humpty-Dumpty in the McCline bout. Kudos to him for coming back and winning after this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmgwRN-OCIE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmgwRN-OCIE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...