DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Originally posted by binnie
    Lots of great fights in the next couple of weeks.

This weekend,

Juan Diaz vs Nate Campbell.

Diaz will win this I think, but it'll be tougher than people expect. I reckon UD. Maybe a knockdown but no stoppage as Diaz isn't an explosive puncher.

Sam Peter vs Ruslan Chagaev.

Well, maybe not a 'great' fight lol. I suppose the smart money is on Peter as Chagaev is almost as old a Holyfield, but Sam looked terrible against McCline and is a very vulnerable fighter. I really don't feel confident in making a prediction, but I feel Chagaev may cause an upset. Let's hope Peter has a good night.

David Haye vs Enzo Maccrinelli.

Bound to be a good fight. All the smakrt money is on Haye: naturally bigger, fought better opposition, hits even harder and more unorthodox. That being said, I fancy Maccrinelli for an upset either by later round stoppage or points victory. Haye looked incredibly easy to hit in his fight with Morcmeck, and Maccrineeli has a great jab - together, that spells trouble. If Enzo keeps his head and doesn't get into a brawl in the early rounds, I predict he'll win. (knowing my luck, Haye will spark him in one round and I'll look like an idiot, lol...)

Well, I got all three wrong. Must be losing my touch, lol.

Chagaev was clearly shot. Peter fought OK I thought, but he still has a LOT to do to impress me, he looks so damn easy to hit.

Nate Campbell was the surpirse of the weekend, and is a testament to how open the lightweight division is. Juan Diaz will learn from this, and I still think he'll be dominant in 2 years or so.

As for Haye, it was a HELL of a shot. Maccrinelli left his chin out and he knew he'd blown his chance during the post-fight interview (Enzo Calzaghe was pissed because Macc did not stick to the gameplan.) Macc just gave too much space, although I thought he was winning round two up to the knock out.

Now that Haye has moved up, I imagine Maccrinelli will clean up at Cruiser anyway. He'll pummel Steve Cunningham should that fight ever happen, and I don't imagine Mormeck will be big enough to impose himself on Enzo. O'neil Bell is the fight I'd really like to see.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pavlik will amke his first defence against Gary Locket.

Who? I here you ask.

Exactly. Locket is a middleweight in the Calzaghe-camp and is the WBO mandatory - Pavlik has to fight him or lose the belt.

Now, Locket is a decent guy, and a decent boxer, but this will most probably be a terrible mismatch. Sure, Enzo Calzaghe is a great trainer, and will undoubtedly have a 'plan' to beat Pavlik but I can't see it happening - Kelly is much, much bigger than Locket, and Locket has never been in with anyone approaching this level. Even with all the hand and foot speed in the world, you would have to be as big and strong as Pavlik to keep him at bay.

The planned John Duddy fight sounded like a bad idea, but at least it would have been a war for three rounds or so. I just don't see this been a good fight at all. And the thought of Kelly fighting Tito Trinidad also sounds frankly ridiculous as this point - Trinidad is not a natural middlewieght, and against Jones jr he looked slower than erosion.

On the plus side, there's talk of Pavlik fighting Arthur Abraham at the end of the year. That will be a classic!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pacquiano-Marquez dawns upon us!

This fight should be an absolute monster. I can see either man winning, but even though I'm a HUGE Manny fan I'm still going with Marquez to cause an upset here.

I'm not confident or sure of the call though - either way it's a GREAT fight for boxing: the #2 and #3 PFP fighters in the world in the same ring!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pac-Man - JMM was an exceptional fight, real pants on the edge of the seat stuff as it swung one way and then another.

The only disappointing thing? The decision.

Now I've been a HUGE Pac fan for years, way before the Moralles fights, way before the first JMM fight, and I was rooting for him to win even though I predicted he wouldn't. And at the end of 12 rounds I thought he'd lost, albeit in a close battle, and I wasn't alone: the HBO team thouht he'd lost, as did the commentators from the UK.

But the judges, it seemed, were watching another fight. It wasn't a day-light-robbery decision, as the fight WAS close, but how one of the judges scored it 115-112 Pacman I'll never know. He didn't do enough to warrant that score, hell, JMM didn't let him do enough.

I had it 115-112 JMM. For me, he was the superior fighter on Saturday, as he was four years ago when he only got a draw despite completely outclassing Pac-man for 11 rounds (despite being knocked on his ass three times in round one.) Like I said, not a 'bad' decision, but the wrong one (clearly), not a crime but certainly an injustice.

For me, the fight confirmed something that I already suspected. Over the past ten years, JMM deserves the "Most feared man in boxing" label: Nasseim Hammed openly admits that he ducked him for years, Barrera didn't want to know during his first years as champ, and Morrales didn't want any either. You know why? JMM would have killed them all (see the Barrera fight, which I initially thought was close but having re-watched it, realized how much of a beating he gave 'baby-face' between rounds 6 and 12.) He may not be as exciting as those guys, but he'd have beaten them and they knew it: too fast, to good a counterpuncher, and with too fluid foot work to ever be in real trouble. Even at 34, he looked incredible on Saturday.

Congrats to Manny, he is the fist Filipino to win titles at three weights, and it was a great performance which cements his status as one of the best PFP fighters in the world - with the exception of Mayweather, maybe THE best. But I feel JMM was the real winner that night, and I hope that his legacy isn't overshadowed by Barrera, Morrales and Pacman.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mikkel Kessler and Edison Miranda are due to fight at the end of May.

This should be an excellent fight, but I think Miranda has bitten off WAY more than he can chew. He claims that Kessler is scarred of him, and has taken to calling him "Kessler the Kitten" as opposed to "The Viking Warrior."

Now, Miranda is an awesome puncher but his skill level isn't great. His foot work is basic at best, and his defense is porous. Whilst his knockout of David Banks was a real spectacle, until that point he had looked pretty awful as Banks moved round him and picked him off. The knock-out was a product of Banks' mistake, not Miranda's talent.

Kessler will be a different case. Mikkel hits harder than Satan, and given that Pavlick put Miranda away in 7 (albeit that he was weight-drained) I'm guessing that Kessler will do the same: he hits harder and faster than Pavlick, and has the footwork to keep well out of Miranda's way.

Should be an entertaining fight though...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Casamayora-Kastadis this Saturday.

Should be a great fight. Given that Casamayora looked terrible in his last fight against Santa-Cruz, I've got to go with the all-out warrior Kastadis by late stoppage or a points win.

That being said, it won't be one-sided. Kastadis reportedly struggles with lefties, and in Casamayora he has one of the best ring-craftsmen in the world to contend with, albeit a fading one. Casamayora is also very hard to hit flush, which may nullify a lot of Kastadis's power.

It's a great old vs young, boxer vs fighter match up though. The winner should take on Nate Campbell.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Casamayor won - great fight. He's clearly in decline but he looked a lot sharper than in his previous fight and in the early rounds would still be too quick for the lightweight competiton. That division is wide open.

Something tells me that a fight with Campbell won't happen because of money, but Casamayor can still compete with the best lightweight's out there all night long...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LOTS of big fights this weekend. Predictions?

Miguel Cotto vs Alfonso Gomez.

TKO Cotto. This will be one-sided. I expect Gomez to be durable but not very competitive, and Cotto will wear him down sometime after the 8th. Maybe earlier if he produces a sustained attack on the body.

Kermit Cintron vs Antonio Margarritto.

Cintron has the power to win, but I've not seen enough improvement since their first fight to make me think the result will be any different - Cintron is too easy to hit. Margaritto by late KO, maybe points.

Clinton Woods vs Antonio Tarver.

Woods will win this, Tarver's only chance is a biased decision in his home town. Woods will out work him, smother him and beat him on the inside.

Glen Johnson vs Chad Dawson.

Dawson is the future at 175, and his speed should win him this, But it won't be easy, not by any mens, Johnson will be in the fight for all 12 rounds, and I expect a close decision.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Bumped....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

God I miss Al...........

Been reading back the old posts in this thread during the last few days..

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    God I miss Al...........

Been reading back the old posts in this thread during the last few days..
    We ALL Do,Bro.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Three pretty exiciting fights this weekend:

Tonight - Thomas Adamek - Jonathon Banks (cruiserwieght).

After being outclassed by Chad Dawson at 175, Adamek's career has being rejuventated at 200lbs and he has become the man to beat in the division, cementing his place with a victory over 'USS' Steve Cunningham last year. Banks is undefeated, and can bang, but I suspect his talent - he clearly pussied out of a fight with Enzo Maccarnelli earlier this year. Banks will not have been in with anyone as tough and relentless as Adamek, and he will begin to question himself if his shots don't do the damage they usually do. I expect Adamek to force a late stoppage or (more likely) a UD. Neither guy has great footwork, and don't expect to see much beautiful boxing. It will be a war of endurance, and Adamek is proven in that area.

Tommorrow.

Juan Manuel Marquez - Juan Diaz. (lightweight)

JMM is one of the best fighters in the world, period. Not only are his loss and a draw to Pacquiao highly questionalble, it could be argued that he has taken on better fighters in his move away from his natural weight than the Fillipino legend - beating a 135lber great like Casamayora is a lot bigger achievment than beaing an average David Diaz and shot De La Hoya, IMO. But Marquez has to get old sometime, and that is clearly what Juan Diaz's team will happen in this bout. Juan is not a huge puncher, but breaks guys down with attrition and non-stop pressure - they are clearly hoping that age will faciliate the process against JMM. Well, Pacquiao couldn't do it, and I don't see Diaz being able to either. JMM is a counter-puncher, and Diaz'a come forward style is therefore made for him. I expect a wide UD for Marquez - Diaz'a chin will stop him being KO'd.

Chris John - Rocky Jurez. (featherweight)

Finally, a Chris John bout we can watch. This Indonesian guy is unbeaten (although his victory over JMM is VERY controversial.) Rocky is a good fighter, and a true warrior, and many people are predicting he will scalp John. I doubt it. Chris John knows that this is a 'showcase' fight, a gate-way to the big bucks and will therefore bring his best. He is more experience and a far superior technician. Expect a great performance from him in a wide decision.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ok fellas, we are less than one week away from what may well prove to be a classic.

Manny Pacquiao - Ricky Hatton.

Who ya picking?

Anyone seen the 24/7 series yet?

I will be watching this - it's airing at about 5am my time. I'm pulling for the 'Hitman' but I'm not at all confident he'll do it - it's a heart/head conundrum for me.

Will the winner fight Floyd?

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2016 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Brilliant Pacquiao cements legacy with win

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

* MGM prepares for British invasion Apr 30, 2009
    * Pacquiao a Filipino uniter Apr 29, 2009

LAS VEGAS – It took just 359 seconds to add the latest devastating chapter to a legacy that will last for decades.

Manny Pacquiao’s flurried fists made short work of Ricky Hatton on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and delivered the most emphatic proof yet that boxing has a superstar for the ages operating at his peak.

Pacquiao sent the Englishman crashing to the canvas twice in a frenetic first round, then sealed the contest with a brutal left hook that had Hatton out cold on his back with one tick remaining in the second round.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. may have announced his comeback from a brief and scarcely-believable retirement on Saturday morning. But there can be no doubt that Pacquiao is boxing’s undisputed king as he continues to ride a remarkable wave of momentum.

“Our strategy was the one punch,” Pacquiao said. “Left hook. Right hook. That was going to be the key to this fight.”

The Filipino fighter is a quiet and reserved man out of the ring, but between the ropes he morphs into an electrifying machine – and Hatton felt his full force.

The Hatton camp had hoped their man’s power would be telling, yet he simply had no response to Pacquiao’s pace and precision. A right hook put Hatton down with 54 seconds remaining in round one and proved to be the beginning of the end.

“I knew it was over,” said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer. “Ricky fights the same way over and over. He doesn’t have the ability to adjust.”
    ADVERTISEMENT

As Pacquiao moved in for the finish in the second round, Hatton tried to cling on only to be sent down again with a fierce straight left. Doctors immediately rushed to the aid of Hatton, who eventually and thankfully was able to walk from the ring under his own steam.

“I am surprised this fight was so easy,” said Pacquiao. “I did work hard in my training camp and it paid off. This is as big a victory for me as when I beat Oscar De La Hoya.”

That December triumph over De La Hoya did not convince the entire boxing fraternity of Pacquiao’s ability, primarily as the Golden Boy’s powers had so clearly dimmed from his prime. Now there is no speculation. Pacquiao is the top dog, until someone proves otherwise in the ring.

Floyd Mayweather Sr. was a no-show at the postfight news conference, leaving Hatton’s co-trainer, Lee Beard, to explain the mauling by Pacquiao.

“We knew about Manny’s speed and that it could play a factor in the fight,” Beard said. “What you saw was two rounds of action and Ricky got caught.”

Roach’s status as a trainer grows in line with each victory his top fighter posts and it became clear his game plan was perfect. Hatton could not avoid Pacquiao, who landed with 73 of his 127 punches. The Brit could only land 18 of 78.

“This is no shock at all,“ Roach said. “Hatton pumps his hands before he throws a punch, and it makes him a sucker for the right hook.

“Manny is a monster. He is the best fighter ever. There is no surprise here.”

Defeat was a bitter blow to the thousands of Hatton fans among the 16,262 in attendance who had journeyed across the Atlantic but saw their dreams dashed within a few brutal minutes.

The typical symphony of chanting carried on even after their man had been sparked out, but it may not strike up again. Hatton, who was alert in his locker room before being taken to the hospital, is one of the most popular boxers ever with an incredible fan base, but his fighting future is now in serious doubt.

For Pacquiao, the future is brighter than ever, and his legend continues to grow.

Said Pacquiao: “I can fight anybody.”

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Yet another great white hope..i was looking for a better finish than that,
    what a waste of money. overrated..clap clap clap clap clap.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Manny looked sensational, and I wouldn't want to take anything away from him. However, Ricky lost that fight as much as Manny won it: he completely abandoned the game plan, hell, he completely abandoned basic boxing skills - no jab, no head movement, jumping in.......he was asking to get knocked out, and he did.

Ricky has been found wanting at the very, very top of the game, but he dominated his division for four years, beat a P4P great, and won titles in two divisions. He is a very, very good fighter. It is clear that he is shot though - the punch resistance just isn't there any more, as was clear in the Lazcano fight. All of those pies and pints between fights, bloating up 50lbs, has weakened his body irreparably. Time to retire now - that brutal KO was nature's wake up call. Thanks for the memories, Hitman, you've been in some barnstormers over the years and are unquestionably one of boxing's all time greatest body punchers.

Manny is a great fighter, and I look forward to seeing what he does next. Not too sure what that win over a very faded Oscar De La Hoya meant, nor am I that sure how much of the 'Hitman' was left in Ricky Hatton after Mayweather schooled him, but a guy can only beat what's put in front of him. With the exception of Juan Manuel Marquez - who he's never comprehensively beaten - Manny has demolished every elite fighter who's gotten in the ring with him.

Mayweather beckons...........

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

NEW YORK -- When Floyd Mayweather Jr. walked away from boxing, he was widely considered the pound-for-pound king, the mythical mantle bestowed upon the best in the game.

Now that he's back, at least one person believes Mayweather still is: lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez, whom he'll face in his highly anticipated return.

"I'm expecting the best Floyd Mayweather ever," Marquez said Tuesday, at a news conference on the 80th floor of the Empire State Building to help launch the fight. "I'm putting in my mind that he never retired, so I'm expecting the best."

The two will meet July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where tickets are scheduled to go on sale Friday. They'll fight at a catch-weight of about 143 pounds, eight more than Marquez has ever fought and the lightest that Mayweather has been since 2005.

Neither believes the weight will make much difference.

Mayweather already has been in the gym a couple of months, ever since giving his adviser Leonard Ellerbe the green light to screen potential opponents. Mayweather claims he's close to 147 pounds and pronounced himself fit after a run through Central Park on Tuesday morning.

Marquez has been packing on muscle while training in the mountains of central Mexico.

He said the brutal regimen, which has included several weeks of lifting boulders, has given him confidence that he'll be the one to finally dethrone the king.

"I always prepare myself to win," Marquez said quietly, sitting a few feet from where the outgoing Mayweather held court with dozens of reporters. "He's not a machine, he's a human being, and human beings can be beat."

Mayweather, the former five-division champ, hasn't stepped in the ring since knocking out Ricky Hatton in December 2007, when he was still basking in the aura of his transcending victory over Oscar De La Hoya. He'd cashed in his "Pretty Boy" nickname for one more befitting his agenda -- "Money" -- and was showing up everywhere from "Dancing with the Stars" to WrestleMania.

That's when Mayweather abruptly called it quits, turning his attention to show business.

Mayweather's year away from the ring opened the door for Manny Pacquiao to step through, and the charismatic Filipino icon did it in destructive fashion. Where Mayweather needed 12 rounds to beat De La Hoya, Pacquiao needed eight; where the flamboyant welterweight needed 10 rounds to stop Hatton, the smaller Pacquiao needed only two earlier this month.

Now, much to Mayweather's chagrin, many consider Pacquiao the best.

"I respect him for what he does, I respect him in the fight game, but I've never been beat," Mayweather said of Pacquiao, who's lost three times, the last in 2005. "Nobody has the antidote for Floyd Mayweather."

While most presume the two will eventually settle the pound-for-pound dispute in the ring, Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) must first deal with Marquez, his hand-picked opponent.

Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs) lost a slugfest by close split-decision to Pacquiao in 2008, a bout that Mayweather and many others believe the Mexican fighter won. Five years ago, Marquez rallied from three first-round knockdowns to earn a bloody draw with Pacquiao in their first bout.

Marquez's stunning knockout of Joel Casamayor last year and his brutal knockout of Juan Diaz in February entrenched him as one of the most electrifying fighters available. More importantly, they produced an opponent that intrigued Mayweather enough to return to the ring.

"Marquez is a warrior," he said, conferring rare praise upon one of his foes. "He's a hell of a fighter. I don't have to come here and bad-mouth anybody."

Mayweather paused for a moment, then added: "They say to be the best, you got to beat the best. I think they got Marquez in the dark and somebody has to give him a shot. Why not me?"

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I would absolultley love to see Juan Manuel Marquez kick the shit outta
    mayweather for good..watch the espn link, he makes me sick if
    marques doesnt win, Manny will totally beat his ass. after this interview,
    I think Floyd's is looking past Juan, i hope that motivates him!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Juan Manuel Marquez is my favourite fighter - I think that he was robbed against Manny in both of their matchups. I love Pacman, but JMM is his nemesis, and his achievements over 130 are also more meaningful in my book - beating two of the elite lightweights in Casamyora and Juan Diaz, and KO'ing them brutally, is a lot more impressive than Pacman's defeat of David Diaz and the ghost of ODLH (the demolition of Hatton was unbeliveable though )

I find it hard to like Mayweather as a person, but I've got to admire his abilities and achievments as a fighter. A lot of people are slamming him for picking a 'smaller' guy, but most people forget that Floyd isn't really a welter either - both of these men were at their best at around 130lbs.

That been said, 147lbs really has to work against JMM. He's never fought above 135lbs, and we really don't know how that will effect his speed. We also don't know what the layoff has done to Floyd - he will have to be his sharpest to win this fight convincingly, but even the Pretty Boy has to have some ring-rust after an 18 month layoff.

I'd love JMM to win, but I can't see it happening. Given that both guys are counter-punchers, there's a good chance that we're in for a snooze fest, and one which I imagine that Mayweather will win on points. If he's still the Mayweather of old, he'll be too good.

20. 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Reason
    Spam

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Any fans of Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero here?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yup - lots of potential waiting to be realized there....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yup - lots of potential waiting to be realized there....
    Cool. He already has another title fight on 8/22 on HBO - undercard of Juan Diaz and Paulie Malignaggi. Hopefully, he will get title number 2.

Any predictions on this Saturday night - Joseph Agbeko vs. Vic Darchinyan?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Darchinyan by late TKO. I'd say rounds 8-10.

Vic is in another league, but he needs a rematch with Donaire....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Definitely. He sure doesn't seem in too much of a hurry to try and avenge his only loss does he?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nope, beause he'd probably be beaten again. It would be a great fight though.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The really exciting news this week is that Showtime are going to do a Supermiddleweight tournament staring this Autumn and going through to 2011.

It will feaure:

Carl Froch (WBC Champ)
    Jermain Taylor
    Mikkel Kessler (WBA Champ and widely regarded as the Man in the division)
    Arthur Abraham (WBA middleweight champ, undefeated and moving up)
    Andre Ward
    Andre Dirrell.

This will force some great fights: Froch-Kessler, Taylor-Abraham, etc. Like boxing used to be - the best facing the best.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The really exciting news this week is that Showtime are going to do a Supermiddleweight tournament staring this Autumn and going through to 2011.

It will feaure:

Carl Froch (WBC Champ)
    Jermain Taylor
    Mikkel Kessler (WBA Champ and widely regarded as the Man in the division)
    Arthur Abraham (WBA middleweight champ, undefeated and moving up)
    Andre Ward
    Andre Dirrell.

This will force some great fights: Froch-Kessler, Taylor-Abraham, etc. Like boxing used to be - the best facing the best.

Man this will be great. I would just be happy with a Froch - Taylor rematch. That was a classic. But yeah, throw any combo of Froch, Taylor, Abraham and Kessler together and it would be the fire. It's funny to have only one American in there. Back in the days of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran it was only one non-American in there. Funny how things change.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Of course, by the time Andre Ward gets done, he may fight all 4 and be undefeated. He has so much promise and talent it is ridiculous.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, Arturo Gatti was found dead today. Now we have lost 2 boxing legends in a week. Another very sad day for boxing.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Its very sad indeed, as he always came across as a stand up guy. Seems that mysterious circumstances are involved. Man, 37 is no age to go....

In other news Darchinyian lost! Didn't see it (as there is now NO channel which shows boxing in the UK) but it sounds like he got frustrated and fought the wrong fight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Of course, by the time Andre Ward gets done, he may fight all 4 and be undefeated. He has so much promise and talent it is ridiculous.
    I think he might pull an upset too because Froch, Kessler, Abraham and Taylor only look great in front of guys who come in straight lines, which Ward doesn't do.

I have a feeling that Ward's stamina might be his undoing too. The guy who wins this is going to have to be fit because Carl Froch is a freak of nature in that department - if Taylor hadn't faded in the last two rounds he would have had that belt in the bag.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Its very sad indeed, as he always came across as a stand up guy. Seems that mysterious circumstances are involved. Man, 37 is no age to go....

In other news Darchinyian lost! Didn't see it (as there is now NO channel which shows boxing in the UK) but it sounds like he got frustrated and fought the wrong fight.
    Yes, Darchinyian fought the wrong fight by coming out and trying to jump on him in the same style as he used to fight. It almost looked like a replay of the Donaire fight without they guy having the power to knock Vic out. Vic could not get out of the way of the right hand!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think he might pull an upset too because Froch, Kessler, Abraham and Taylor only look great in front of guys who come in straight lines, which Ward doesn't do.

I have a feeling that Ward's stamina might be his undoing too. The guy who wins this is going to have to be fit because Carl Froch is a freak of nature in that department - if Taylor hadn't faded in the last two rounds he would have had that belt in the bag.
    Froch is bad ass. But so is Kessler. These 2 guys are may favorites out of the 6 you mentioned. I don't see Taylor ever getting past his stamina problems. Ward has great talent but i prefer fighters that brawl and head hunt like Froch and Kessler.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think everyone prefers the more 'action' guys, but I do think that Ward may present some problems to the power-pucnhers because he has lateral movement and angles that many of them won't have seen before.

The way to beat Froch is to stick and move, stick and move all night.

Kessler has to be the favourite, but I can see Jermain Taylor pulling an upset if the Froch KO wasn't too devastating psychologically. If he fights smart and keeps his concentration, that is. Abraham is a beast at 160, but will he be at 168? That's an unknown - he hits hard for sure (thus the reason Pavlik's camp is staying WELL away from him), but how will he fare against guys who are so much bigger and stronger (Kessler, Froch....). This is a great tournament because there are so many unknowns.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

R.I.P Vernon Forrest

Murdered this weekend during a car jacking. An excellent fighter, who gave us two classics with Mosely, and was robbed in the return against Mayorga.

This month: Arguello, Forrest, Gatti..............shit.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Two good fights this weekend:

Devon Alexander - Junior Witter for the WBC light-welterweight title.

Very tough to call this one. Devon is younger, faster and busier. He is also undefeaed (18-0). Given the trouble that Witter had with Tim Bradley's pressure when he lost his belt a couple of years ago, one could easily see him struggling here. Witter is eratic though, and blames his dismal performance that night to the illness of his father. He will have to be on his A game on Saturday is he wants to reclaim his title - whilst he is no spring-chicken (37) he can be a nightmare for any opponent, an effective switch hitter who is elusive and awkward. Should the REAL Witter turn up, expect him to frustrate Alexander to a UD.

Tim Bradley - Nate Campbell light welter-weight

Another pick 'em fight. Nate was the MAN at lightweight 18 months ago, and no one wanted to fight him. A great match up with Juan Gomez fell through when the latter couldn't make weight, only for Nate to do the same in his last bout at that weight (thus losing the title regardless of the outcome.) Nate has power, but wins his fights by beign stronger than his opponent. That, in all probability, won't happen at 140. Tim Bradley has good stamina and a high workrate - being considerably hunger, he may wear Nate down in the later rounds. Both guys chins have been tested before, and whilst neither is glass jawed by any means, they may taste the canvass at some point. I expect Bradley to sneak a close UD, but Nate will be in there to prove a point.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tough break for Nate Campbell Saturday night. The cut was caused by a butt and should have been a no decision. However, there was some truth to what Gary Shaw said about Campbell could have continued. I think Nate was suprised about Bradley's quickness and didn't want the possibly of going to the scorecards after 4 rounds if the fight was to be stopped by the cut. I was pissed the fight was over so quickly.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, it was something of a fiasco. A 'No Contest' was the correct ruilng but Nate didn't seem like he wanted to continue.

Witter quit after 8 too, Alexander was impressive.

Alexander-Bradley would be a good showdown

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If you get a chance, watch this documentary on HBO called Assault in the Ring. It is about Louis Resto vs Billy Collins on the undercard of Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore. Awesome film about Trainer Panama Lewis and what he did to Resto's gloves which got him and Resto banned for life.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've heard a lot about this, so I'll keep my eye out for it. Why anyone would load gloves is beyond me................

Thread Information