Page 15 of 84 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282965 ... LastLast

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Yeah, all fucking hell has broken loose about this - the DQ was the right decision, regardless of whether Dirrell was KO'd or not. You cannot hit a man on the floor. Period.
    Exactly, exactly. The DQ was the correct call. That was messed up.

At first, like you SS, I thought Dirrell was acting as the blow didn't seem to have much steam on it. But if he WAS acting, then he's a damn fine actor because those tears seemed real to me, and he really thought he'd lost.

As for Arthur getting stronger, I don't think round 12 would have made a different - he was a MILE behind on points at that point, and had probably landed 6-10 decent shots all night. Yes, he should have been given credit for a knockdown in round six (appauling refereeing) but Dirrell knocked AA down than round too (he was only up because of the ropes, and the rules specify that's a knockdown.)

Dirrell was a worthy winner.
    I was really impressed by Dirrell in this one, thanks for posting it Bin. Totally agree Abraham was so far behind on points short of a legit knockout there's nothing he could have done to win...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

David Haye - John Ruiz this Saturday.

It is always difficult to predict a David Haye fight with confidence because by his own admission the man does not have a jaw to rival Jake La Motta. That being said, I expect Haye to blast John Ruiz inside of 8 rounds. People give Ruiz a lot of stick - sure, his style isn't the most entertaining to watch, but he's been in the upper eschelons of the heavyweight division for over 10 years, and that deserves respect. We all know he's as tough as a brick, and I've no doubt he'll try and grab Haye and stop him getting his shots of. But I just see David being too fast and too mobile - his shots will eventually wear Ruiz out.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

World title bout the lure for David Tua
    Newstalk ZB - March 31, 2010, 9:02 am

Davd Tua's chances of winning a world title will be severely damaged if he loses to Friday Ahunanya in Auckland tonight.

Boxing commentator Colonel Bob Sheridan says if he wins, the big money is just around the corner, with the winner almost assured of a fight with one of the world champions in the next year. Tua has fought for the heavyweight title once before, losing in a unanimous decision to Lennox Lewis in 2000.

Any thoughts of Ahunanya suffering from ring rust ahead of tonight's fight with Tua have been dismissed. Ahunanya has not fought since June 2008, however Colonel Sheridan says Tua's two year layoff before he fought Shane Cameron in October was beneficial. He says the time out of the ring gave Tua's body time to heal.

Tua is the red hot favourite at the TAB.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Binnie,Money Is On Tua In The 8th Round.

Some cunt changd my name
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2017 @ 03:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

dan.
    its a boxing thred not a slapping thred sissyboy.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LEFTY View Post
    i'm a sissyboy.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tua will win well before the 8th round.

I'm not so sure that two comeback fights against crappy opponents gets him a world title shot though - although given the current state of the heavyweight division, you never know. Does he generate enough money for the Klitschko brothers to risk taking him on? I doubt it.

Tua is a never was rather than a has been. All of that potential never really amounted to much.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Binnie,They Went The WHOLE 12 Rounds.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAsV0MQ-cl0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rAsV0MQ-cl0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's largely because Friday Anunyanu spent the entire fight running away.......

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I Would Too.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Bernard Hopkins hammered Roy Jones Jr. last night...

wish this would have happened 10 years ago...when Jones wasn't a has been...but Jones refused...

At least RJJ was a game fighter...but Hopkins busted him up pretty good.

I'm hoping it's the last fight for both...Jones' legacy is already hurt...Hopkins, at 45, is still intact...but time to stop...

Had Jones had a bit more...Hopkins would have spent more time in the hospital than he already had to.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sergio Mora returned to the ring, and beat the hell out of Calvin Green. He hasn't fought since losing the junior middleweight title to Vernon Forrest, after upsetting Forrest for the title to begin with. After nearly two years...he fought again...and won.

This guy walks through the fight game like he's on eggshells...

13. Thanked POJO_Risin for this KICKASS post:

binnie (04-05-2010)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I thought that Hopkins was disgraceful in that fight - RJJ has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING left, he is a shell of his former self. Bhop should have KO'd him at this stage. The play acting after the low blow and rabbit punching was pathetic, and proves that the man can no longer go beyond 6 rounds of sustained activity without taking a rest. I also thought his fighting after the bell and repeated headbutting was disgraceful.

RJJ handidly outpointed him waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1993 - whilst they were at their respective primes, a repeat would have looked them same because Hopkins struggles with guys who can move and have fast hands - that's why he struggled with Jerman Taylor (I actually thought he won both fights, but they were close.)

Both of these guys are ATGs. They should retire now.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As for Sergio Mora - I don't see him ever winning a title again. Maybe if Pavlik moves up from 160 he could get a piece of the action there, but I doubt it.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

David Haye destroted John Ruiz on Saturday in 9 rounds. Ruiz was on his ass after 25 seconds, and down repeatedly throughout the fight until his corner stopped it.

Haye looked electrifying - I still don't think he beats the Klits, but he has the power and speed to make it a good argument.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I thought that Hopkins was disgraceful in that fight - RJJ has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING left, he is a shell of his former self. Bhop should have KO'd him at this stage. The play acting after the low blow and rabbit punching was pathetic, and proves that the man can no longer go beyond 6 rounds of sustained activity without taking a rest. I also thought his fighting after the bell and repeated headbutting was disgraceful.

RJJ handidly outpointed him waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1993 - whilst they were at their respective primes, a repeat would have looked them same because Hopkins struggles with guys who can move and have fast hands - that's why he struggled with Jerman Taylor (I actually thought he won both fights, but they were close.)

I've never been a Hopkins...ever...and have always thought that RJJ, in his prime, was in a class by himself. He repeatedly refused to fight Hopkins over the years, if I remember correctly (and I may not be), while they were still in their prime. He wasn't running from him, but trying to piss him off. Hopkins and Jones Jr. can't stand each other...so I get the theatrics.

Now it's time for both to retire.

I do think Mora will get another chance at a title. Mind you, I don't think he'll win, but he'll get a chance. He's got some pub, and can be beaten.

So we'll see.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

David Haye destroted John Ruiz on Saturday in 9 rounds. Ruiz was on his ass after 25 seconds, and down repeatedly throughout the fight until his corner stopped it.

Haye looked electrifying - I still don't think he beats the Klits, but he has the power and speed to make it a good argument.
    John Ruiz...painful...

Haye did look good...lively for that fight...

No...not good enough to beat Klit, but a decent fighter...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good call Pojo - Mora is an awkaward fighter, but I think he lacks the heart to succesfully stay at the top.

I'll never forget that he turned down a fight with Jermain Taylor when the latter was middleweight champ because it was in Taylor's home town. What kind of contender passes on a title shot?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Speaking of disgraceful...........this saturday night:

At Las Vegas (Integrated Sports PPV): Evander Holyfield vs. Frans Botha, 12 rounds, heavyweights

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What's that fight billed as?

"A Has Been vs a Never Was".

Jesus Christ - gotta love Holyfield, but he needs to hang 'em up....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's a low-quality recording of the Haye fight if anyone didn't see it.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/frGwUItytEY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/frGwUItytEY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOvkRbEFGAM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOvkRbEFGAM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WZcOAN3jaE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1WZcOAN3jaE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FoRs701Bio&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FoRs701Bio&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hope this guy's commentating isn't too annoying.

I've never seen anyone dominate Ruiz like this - RJJ aside.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, i see Holyfield beat Botha. Bad news, however, as Holyfied captured a belt and now wants Vlad or Vitali. If this were to happen overseas, it may actually get sanctioned and that would be very bad for Evander. I think he doesn't realize that he could get killed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5074745

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holyfield only fights like once a year, so I doubt it'll happen.

I hope for his sake that it doesn't - Holy could make a decent income fighting lots of has-beens in the US.....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Big weekend for boxing coming up.

Kelly Pavlick vs Sergio Martinez

You know Martinez is my boy and i am going with him for the upset here. If this were the same Pavlick of a couple of years ago i would have to go with Kelly. However, he hasn't fought the same since the loss to BHop. He may surprise me and return to old form here but i am betting against it. Martinez, after the robbery draw against Kermit Cintron fought Paul Williams tooth and nail. Williams is a fighter that Pavlick has seemed to avoid. Williams couldn't knock Martinez out. Pavlick is a little harder puncher but not quite as quick as Williams. I am looking for Martinez to frustrate Kelly early with speed, movement and timely hard shots which will wear him down over the course of the fight. Pavlick won't go away easily so i still look for the fight to be close. Martinez also got very tired in the latter rounds against Williams. In the end, i look for Martinez to win by split decision.

Lucian Bute vs. Edison Miranda

I'm calling for another upset here. I don't think Bute has fought a world class fighter yet. Bute has speed and quickness and should be able to outpount Miranda easily if he can survive getting hurt. We know that Miranda is a devistating power puncher who will be chasing Bute all night. The million dollar question is what happens to Bute's legs the first time he gets caught by a decent shot. I don't think he can make it, thus i am taking Miranda in a knockout by round 9.

26. Thanked sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

binnie (04-13-2010)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pavlik-Martinez should be a good scrap.

I've watched Williams-Martinez six times now, and every time I score it differently. I am not at all convinced that Williams won that fight, and I think that Martinez has been unlucky in the past (like the 'draw' against Cintron - laughable.)

That being said, Martinez doesn't have the same calibre of opponents on his resume that Pavlik does (Williams aside.) Some would argue that's a big factor in calling this fight, but I'm not so sure. Martinez may be behind in experience, but I'd say he's ahead in momentum - the fight with Williams will have been invigorating, despite the defeat, and Pavlik has generally looked like dogshit since Bhop made him look like a glorified journeyman. Martinez is no Bhop, but he's not a come forward in straight lines slugger that Kelly likes, either. I expect Martinez to cause Kelly some problems, but I doubt he'll have the power to seriosuly hurt Pavlik. The question of how he takes Pavlik's shots is more interesting - Kelly is a heavy handed middleweight, and Martinez has campaigned for most of his fights at 154. This could be decisive.

At the moment, however, I'm leaning towards Martinez is a close fight, maybe a SD. I don't think that Kelly's re-gained any of the momentum he lost with Bhop, and I think that Martinez's speed and evasive footwork will be enough to prevent the bigger man being able to use his power for any consistent length of time. I stress that's an initial consideration - it might change as I (force myself) to re-watch Kelly's last two fights....
    I'll stick to the prediction I made here - still not convinced Martinez can handle the power, but all things considered I think he'll win on points.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post

Lucian Bute vs. Edison Miranda

I'm calling for another upset here. I don't think Bute has fought a world class fighter yet. Bute has speed and quickness and should be able to outpount Miranda easily if he can survive getting hurt. We know that Miranda is a devistating power puncher who will be chasing Bute all night. The million dollar question is what happens to Bute's legs the first time he gets caught by a decent shot. I don't think he can make it, thus i am taking Miranda in a knockout by round 9.
    That's an interesting call, really interesting.

Miranda can certainly bang, but that's it. I expect Bute to solidly out-box him, probably KO'ing him in the latter rounds. Bute has underrated power - remember, he's the only man to stop Librado Andrade (who has a superhuman resiliancy), a man who is surely a world class fighter? If Bute were in the 'Super Six', I defintely think he'd be a favourite to win. I just see his south paw stance, solid jab and footwork being a hard night's work for Miranda, who has traded off his power for too long. Bute by late KO or very clear decision.

I totally agree with you on Martinez-Pavlik, however.

29. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

sonrisa salvaje (04-19-2010)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It is definitely arguable that Andrade is a world class fighter. I did't mean to imply that he is not an excellent fighter. I wasn't really familiar with him until he rocked Bute's world the first time. I was in fact shocked the second time they fought when Bute disposed of him so easily. I think it is probably safe to say that you have to be big fight fan to know either Bute or Andrade. I'm sure a casual fan wouldn't know either of them. There is no doubt, if Miranda doesn't knock Bute out, there is no way he can box his way to a win because Bute is just too talented.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Agreed that you'd have to be a fight fan to have heard of Bute or Andrade. But then, you'd have to be a hardcore fight fan to have heard of all of the guys in the supermiddleweight top ten - but they're still all world class. There were plenty of people clamouring for Andrade to be in the super six, so I'd definitely say he's a top ten supermiddleweight.

Bute-Miranda will be an interesting once though.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Well, i see Holyfield beat Botha. Bad news, however, as Holyfied captured a belt and now wants Vlad or Vitali. If this were to happen overseas, it may actually get sanctioned and that would be very bad for Evander. I think he doesn't realize that he could get killed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5074745
    Those two are filling football stadia with 80 000 and getting TV audience shares of 80% in Germany. A fight between one of them and Holyfield could make a lot of money which is what heavyweight boxing is always about.

I hear they are now calling out Haye for running away from a fight. What they don't mention is the shitty deals they offered whereby they got at least 80% plus money from his next 6 fights or something ludicrous.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Those two are filling football stadia with 80 000 and getting TV audience shares of 80% in Germany. A fight between one of them and Holyfield could make a lot of money which is what heavyweight boxing is always about.
    Spot on there. At the end of the day, it's not about safety or what is right or wrong. It is about the money.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

I hear they are now calling out Haye for running away from a fight. What they don't mention is the shitty deals they offered whereby they got at least 80% plus money from his next 6 fights or something ludicrous.
    Yeah, the contracts were ridiculous - if Haye beat Wladimir, he had to give him a rematch AND face his brother. Ridiculous.

Haye has a chance against Wladimir as long as he doesn't get hit cleanly (there is a case to be made for Wladimir being the hardest hitting heavyweight in histroy with one shot.) Wlad lacks confidence and goes to pieces if he gets hit with a big shot. I still think he's funadmentally too big and too skilled for Haye, but I'd love to see it.

Vitali is tougher job. Less fundamentally skilled but much, much toucher. He could take most of Haye's shots and keep coming, and that's bad news for David.

These fights have to be made though. No-one has given a shit about heavyweight boxing since Lennox Lewis retired

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I called it on both fights last night:

Bute Ko'd Miranda in 3 - he would be hell for anyone in the Super six, IMO.

Martinez beat Pavlik on a UD.

These fights were not shown in the UK so I haven't seen them, but from what Iu read, knockdown aside, Martinex was fairly dominant and made a mess of Pavlik.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Reports are also coming in that Edwon Valero, a guy was beaten all his opponents by KO, has been arrested on charges of murdering his wife.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah...I hate to admit it, but I don't know much about Martinez. Being a Cleveland guy, I wanted Pavlik to win the fight...

didn't see it...going to watch it tonight...

Someone told me Martinez used to be a biker...or tennis player...or some shit like that.

Just read the shit about Valero...fucking moron...

everyone knows when you off your wife...not to fucking tell people...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Martinez is Argentianian, iand it seemsthat eh's spent a lot of his career fighting bums. He is an exceptionally fst junior middleweight, fights out of a southpaw stance and has great, great movement. He gotted robbed against Kermit Cintron a few years ago, a fight that was ruled a draw but which he won handidly. Then he took on Paul Williams at 160 and lost a close decison - one of those fights that could have been ruled either way. He certainly gave Williams hell, and I imagne that Williams-Martinez II will be the next fight.

I've always liked Kelly Pavlik, a no-nonesense guy that comes to fight and took on all comers. That being said, I've never been sold on him as the 'Great White Hope' - his limitations are glaring, poor defense, a very basic footwork. I expect he'll go up to 168 now, there are more lucrative fights up there. At that weight, however, he can't count on being the bigger man. I really don't see him winning another title......

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Congrats to Binnie for two excellent predictions on Saturday. My hat is off to Bute. I would have to say that he is the real deal at this point. I fully admit i understimated his power. I never saw him knocking Miranda out. I thought Bute was walking into a trap and it turned out to be an easy nights work instead. Evidently, Bernard Hopkins has called Bute out and they are considering a fight with him. They also asked him about the Super 6 tournament and if he had it on his mind. Bute said he wasn't worried about it and that he would fight the winner of the tournament at some point. It appears the hype for an Andre Ward/ Lucian Bute fight is already brewing.
    In regards to Martinez, the fight i did get right, he came out and dominated Pavlik in the first 3 to 4 rounds and the Kelly took control in the middle rounds. Kelly already had a small cut over his left eye when in the 8th or 9th Sergio landed a big shot to the right eye cutting him badly. With both eyes bleeding, Kelly couldn't see the double jabs coming to the right side of his face. Kelly would block the first one and then get tagged with the second leading to combinations by Sergio. Sergio coasted to victory by taking the 9th thru the 12th.
    They noted that Kelly Pavlik had a rematch clause in the contract. Kelly said after the fight that he fully intends to excercise the rematch. Paul Williams was at ringside and it was noted that should Kelly win, he and Williams would be the next fight. Martinez wants the rematch with Williams badly, but it looks like he is going to have to do the rematch first.
    Great night of boxing and sets up for some great opportunities coming later in the year.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Reports coming in that Velero hung himself in jail and is dead.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Velero has committed suicide. Here is a link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5112471

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Wasn't that familiar with Valero, but sounds like he regularly beat his wife's ass...not cool.

Man, Martinez outclassed Pavlik all night, and turned his face into hamburger... I don't see Pavlik having any better luck in the eventual rematch...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Valero was one of the stars of the future - he had Ko'd all of his 24 opponents, and there is a case to be made for him being the hardest hitting pound for pound fighter ever. Thunderous power. His skills were improving too. I think he was on the cusp of being a threat to anyone at 135, and eventually at 140.

It seems that he was a troubled human being, however.

Thread Information