Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hatton is holding WAY too much in this fight, right from round one.

Castillo is having to resort to the same thing. Castillo should be shooting that long jab out there.

Hatton talked like he was coming out like a house of fire.

He isn't.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thank you Harold Lederman and Max Kellerman.

Hatton is initiating the holding.

They took a point away from Castillo for low blows with no warning, and in the instructions, they said Hatton's trunks were too high.

This fight was bullshit.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kostya Tzsu , old and done. Castillo couldn't make weight in his last fight with Corrales and was suspended a year.

Not impressed with Hatton and Floyd would beat him.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

I couldn't get this fight 'cos I was out of town.

From the reviews I've read, sounded like Hatton killed him. A body punch in the fouth, right?

I was expecting a 12 rounder to be honest.

No question that Hatton is dirty fighter: holding, butting, elbows are all part of his game. Just like they were with Holyfield.

Hatton's normal style is just to keep coming forward, like Jake la Motta, and throw to the body. He is a demon body puncher, and loves a brawl, but there are only so many brawls you can be in before time catches up wth you.

Al, I agree that Mayweather would win in a bout with Hatton (not too sure about "beating" because I don't think Mayweather "beats" anyone, he outboxes and outmarts them). Hatton would keep at him though, constant pressure, and if he landed some half decent body shots to low Mayweather, then we could have a good contest. That's the only unnown with Mayweather, no one's hit him yet.

Persoanlly, I'd rather see Cotto-Maweather. I think Hatton needs another couple of big fights against people who are mobile before he gets in with Floyd
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's the fourth round for anyone who didn't see it, I'm still searching on the first three to see about the holding that Al is talking about. This round is prety much vintage Hatton: fighting close, lots of body shots and wearing his opponent down slowly. It's not pretty, it's not a display of skills or flair, but it's a style I like.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cn2B1UlWLuc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cn2B1UlWLuc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Thank you Harold Lederman and Max Kellerman.

Hatton is initiating the holding.

They took a point away from Castillo for low blows with no warning, and in the instructions, they said Hatton's trunks were too high.

This fight was bullshit.
    This is what the guys calling the bout were saying.

After the fight, they were in agreement that Castillo was a shell, a "shot fighter".

Hatton has signed with HBO, and they want to push him, and this was still what they were saying.

Killed him? A body shot takes Castillo out?

I guess if you get a chance to see it, watch it.

Hatton talked a lot of shit before this fight, I guess I don't see it and have never been impressed with him. Both of his biggest wins were against fighters at the end of the line.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

When I said "beat", I meant "win".

No, he doesn't put "beatings" on anyone anymore.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Boxing is shit these days.

Fucking rubbish.

All about money and politics.

How the fuck can you get knocked out by a punch in the ribs?

The commentators are full of shit.

Gay.

Cheers!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm sure there were many latin fighters that were thinking, "what a puss" also.

I'm sure the shot was a good one, body shots can be lethal.

I just don't know why they tried to hype this fight as some great impending war.

Castillo has been irrelevant for quite some time now, failed to make weight and suspended in the last year.

Everyone had Hatton winning this easy, but the spin is on to at least have someone tune in.

Hatton alone is not generating a PPV fight alone, thats why the smack with Mayweather.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's $30 for PPV here.

I was sitting a bit bored last night and nearly paid it.

Glad I didn't.

Boxing is a sham these days. They should just go the whole way and make it the same as wrestling. At least it might be funny that way.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Boxing is a sham these days.

That's why UFC and all the similar sports are becoming more popular, becuase the tops guys reguarly fight each other.

What boxing needs is to unify the the belts in each division, so that all the tops guys have to fight one another. Then we would see some great fights.

And Sesh, it is actually possible to be knoked out from a body shot, there are enough pressure points around there to do it. In this case, it looks to me like it was a case of unbearable pain: when some hits you with a really good body shot, it feels like all of your insides want to exit your entire body at once. It can be crippling if thrown by an expert, like Hatton.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess the next big fight is Winky-Hopkins.

Not going to be explosive by any means is it? Should be interesting for fight fans though, more of a meeting of minds than fists...

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Liver shot.

And that low blow call was bullshit. I'm not saying Castillo had a chance, but at least he was mixing it up inside a bit before he got pointed.

Either way, what a fucking disappointment.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie
    I guess the next big fight is Winky-Hopkins.
    Who's that?

Wee Willy Winky v. Mary Hopkins?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

[B]Mayweather may take bait for Hatton superfight

June 25, 2007

By Mark Staniforth PA SportsTicker Boxing Writer

LAS VEGAS (Ticker)[B] - Ricky Hatton's dream showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr. has moved closer to becoming reality after his stunning win over Jose Luis Castillo in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Mayweather's uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, says his man could be ready to reverse the retirement decision he announced after outpointing Oscar de la Hoya last month.

And Hatton would be high on his list of potential opponents, with few other rivals capable of providing the pay-per-view interest required to bankroll a Mayweather return.

"The only way for Ricky to get Floyd in the ring is to drive up to where Floyd is at with a truck-load of money to persuade him out of retirement," Roger Mayweather said. "If Ricky and Floyd did fight it would be one of the greatest fights of all time. There has to be enough money, but enough money will get a dead man out of his grave."

Hatton has wasted no opportunity to pour scorn on what he perceives to be Mayweather's negative style, claiming his latest win contained more excitement than Mayweather's whole career.

Hatton took less than four full rounds to dispatch the Mexican - who had previously twice been the distance with Mayweather - with a breathtaking body shot.

And despite many shrewd judges giving Hatton little chance against the commonly accepted pound-for-pound world No. 1, Hatton is rightly bullish about his ability to hand Mayweather his first defeat.

Mayweather might be the pound-for-pound best in the world, but I think my style is his worst nightmare," Hatton said. "I think I've got the style to beat him. He needs me like he needs a hole in the head."

Fuelled by a growing desire to contest superfights for the remainder of his career, Hatton says he is reconsidering his previous pledge never again to step up to the 147 pounds welterweight limit.

On his only previous attempt, he struggled desperately to outpoint Luis Collazo in Boston, and was subsequently warned against repeating the feat by his trainer Billy Graham.

Given the exodus of potential 140 pounds rivals like Mayweather and Miguel Cotto to the higher division, Hatton is having second thoughts and now believes his future may lie in putting on the pounds.

"That is where all the big names are," Hatton said. "Against Collazo, I had seven weeks to move up and I didn't carry the weight comfortably and I lost a bit of mobility.

"Nigel Benn told me I really needed two or three fights to grow into the weight and given more time I am convinced I would be able to fight a damn sight better."

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't know......

Hatton said it. Mayweather doesn't need him. Hatton is no legacy fight.

Plus that fucker can hit like a mule. He would have one hell of a puncher's chance against Floyd.

I say no way Mayweather takes that fight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If that fight happens at 147, it's an easy win for Mayweather as Ricky is a natural 140 pounder. Some guys are only great at one weight, and there's no shame in that.

If it happens at 140, it'll be a hell of a fight. But Mayweather will still win. Hatton can bang, and his body punches could really slow Floyd down, and he will also butt and elbow. But all of that is dependent on him actually being able to corner or catch Mayweather, and I just don't think his footwork is good enough for him to do it. He would certianly apply constant pressure for 12 rounds, but I just don't see him winning (much as I'm a fan).

Cotto- Mayweather would be much more competitive in my oopinion.

Or Shane Mosely-Maweather. "The battle of the lightinging fists" could be the tag line, lol! I think Mosley might just have the skills and speed to push Floyd.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

More talk from the Mayweather camp, from sportinglife.com

Ricky Hatton's taunts may have had the desired effect and tempted Floyd Mayweather out of retirement.

After Hatton's stunning fourth-round stoppage of Jose Luis Castillo at the weekend, the IBF light welterweight champion challenged Mayweather to a multi-million-pound super-fight.

Both fighters are unbeaten, but Mayweather had previously insisted last month's victory over Oscar de la Hoya would be his final bout.

Now, Mayweather's adviser Leonard Ellerbe claims Hatton's jibes have paid off.

"He got Floyd's attention. Now we're calling his bluff," Ellerbe told the New York Daily News.

"All he has to do is make a deal and he'll have his chance to back up all that talk. All that's standing between him and Floyd is air and opportunity.

"We can make the deal this week. He's very, very disrespectful. He's trying to promote himself off Floyd's name.

"When we make the deal, we'll show the world why he's the most overrated fighter of this decade.

"Floyd has never taken any fight personally. But he's taking this personally. Floyd is going to kick his butt."

Ellerbe revealed Mayweather was far from impressed by Hatton's performance against Castillo at the Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas.

He said: "He said he only wants to fight the best - then sign the contract. Floyd's going to show all his fans in Britain just what a phoney he is."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mayweather sounds pissed off, but is it al rhetoric?

From sportinglife.com

SPORTS HEADLINES

Mayweather - out to silence Hatton.

PRETTY BOY READY TO SILENCE HATTON
    E-mail Article Print-Friendly Subscribe to RSS Feed
    Post to del.icio.us

Click here for more boxing news

Floyd Mayweather Jr says he's ready to get in the ring with Ricky Hatton and "beat him all the way back to England."

The Pretty Boy announced his retirement from the sport after beating Oscar De La Hoya in their Las Vegas superfight last month.

But he's now fuming at Hatton's jibes after the Manchester hitman knocked out Jose Luis Castillo on Saturday night.

And it appears that a blockbusting showdown between the pair could well happen at last.

Mayweather said: "Ricky Hatton has talked nonstop about fighting me for the last two weeks.

"He has disrespected me and my accomplishments in the ring, and I take that very seriously. I'm going to give him the opportunity to step up and fight the best in the world. I don't think this punk will take the challenge."

A potential Mayweather/Hatton bout would feature two of the sport's best undefeated fighters. With his win over Castillo, Hatton improved his record to 43-0 with 31 KO's. Mayweather is 38-0 with 24 KO's.

"Now that Hatton has opened up his big mouth, he might start to think about what he has been asking for," continued Mayweather.

"Does he really want to step into the ring with best fighter of this era and embarrass himself? Being the coward that he is, I doubt he'll get in the ring. We'll see what his excuse will be this time."

Hatton has made no secret of his desire to break America and he has made it known that he covets a bout with Mayweather, long regarded by many fight fans as the best pound-for-pound boxer of his generation.

And Mayweather insists that the 28-year-old's talking has had the desired effect.

"Ricky Hatton is the most over-rated fighter of the last 25 years.

"He beat an old (Kostya) Tszyu and he beat an old Castillo who was shot. I beat Castillo twice and the first time I did it with one hand because the other was so messed up.

"That was five years ago when Castillo was in his prime. I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now."

Mayweather, 30, was dismissive of Hatton's ability and insisted he would go all out to cause his prospective opponent pain.

He said: "I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up.

"I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton. For me, boxing is a science but it will be a pleasure to prove to the world what a great phoney the guy is.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He cannot box. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. There is no skill to what he does in the ring. He has got zero skills."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Hatton camp responds, from Irelandonline, also on breakingnews.com

Hatton yearns to put Floyd on floor
    27/06/2007 - 10:41:02

Ricky Hatton is “chomping at the bit” to begin negotiations over a superfight with Floyd Mayweather, according to his father Ray.

The likelihood of agreeing a showdown with Mayweather moved a step closer yesterday when the American’s adviser Leonard Ellerbe declared they wanted to sign a deal “as soon as possible”.

And Mayweather’s eagerness to shelve his retirement plans has been welcomed by Hatton, whose drawing power in the United States has soared following Saturday’s crushing four-round demolition of Jose Luis Castillo.

“We’re up for the fight, you’ve got to be up for a fight like that,” Ray Hatton told Radio Five Live.

“But it doesn’t always end with the two fighters, there tends to be a few people getting in between.

“Ricky is chomping at the bit. I’ve spoken to him a little bit before all this came out and he said it’s a no-brainer. It’s a definite yes.

“Ricky will fight him anywhere – that’s the difference between him and Floyd, who wants it on home turf.”

Mayweather, who defeated Oscar de la Hoya at light middleweight last month before announcing his retirement, is ready to step down a division in order to fight Hatton.

The chances of Hatton moving back up to welterweight following 12 uninspiring rounds against Luis Collazo last year appeared remote, but the 28-year-old Mancunian must compromise if he wants to face Mayweather.

Father Ray insists valuable lessons have been learned from the disappointing display against Collazo and a new approach to meeting the 147 lbs limit will be taken.

“Ricky would be prepared to come up a weight. The two camps would have to get their head around it but it’s not an obstacle, not for a fight of this magnitude,” he said.

“This time if we knew we were going up to 147 we’d do it differently, we wouldn’t have five weeks to go up to 147.

“We’d do it from day one of a 12-week training camp. Ideally you need longer to grow into the weight, as Floyd as has.

“We wouldn’t make the same mistake of bringing Ricky in too heavy. We would even sacrifice some of the weight so he can keep his speed.”

Brash-talking Mayweather has already started directing insults at Hatton, labelling him a “great phoney”, and Ray believes any contest would be clash of “good versus bad”.

“That’s typical Floyd Mayweather. He disrespects people in one breath and praises in another,” he said.

“It’s quite amusing because we know the game and we’ve heard it all before. It’s part of the hype and is good for boxing.

“You’ve got Mayweather who is the brash, cocky kid and then there’s Ricky Hatton, the kid next door who everyone likes. It’s good versus bad.

“Ricky thinks Floyd is a fantastic talent and pound for pound the best in the world.

“Ricky respects Floyd but told him that his four rounds against Castillo were more exciting than anything from the whole of Floyd’s career.

“It was tongue in cheek but all good stuff. Ricky has been baiting Floyd, but it’s tongue in cheek.”
    RELATED URLS:-

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hatton's ONLY shot at a big fight.

Good vs bad?

*yawn*

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A buddy of mine said the fight is ON.

In the fall.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I suppose it'll all come down to the $$$$$.

I'm guessing that Floyd is going to take a lot of "persuading" to come out of "retirement"..lol...

Still rather see him against Cotto.

And there were some rumours that was going to face Mosely, but I can't see that happening, as last i heard Mosely was going to move up to 160lbs.....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From latimes.com

Mayweather expected to fight Hatton
    Money remains the big stumbling block to a Nov. 10 fight in Las Vegas.
    By Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer
    June 28, 2007

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is coming out of retirement, a less-than-stunning revelation that catches absolutely no one by surprise.

Coming off last month's victory over Oscar De La Hoya in the richest non-heavyweight fight ever, Mayweather has entered into negotiations with Ricky Hatton for a pay-per-view bout.

Tentative date: Nov. 10. Logical site: Las Vegas.

Biggest roadblock: Money.

Hatton, whose hometown is Manchester, England, is coming off his biggest triumph in America, a fourth-round knockout of Jose Luis Castillo last Saturday in Las Vegas to retain his International Boxing Organization junior-welterweight title. Hatton received $2.5 million for that match. Mayweather got approximately $15 million for the De La Hoya fight.

"If we can reach agreement on the money, there's no reason it can't happen," said Art Pelulo, Hatton's American promoter.

Another potential obstacle to a November match was cleared Wednesday when Ray Hatton, Ricky's father, and promoter Frank Warren reached a settlement of a libel suit that could have tied up the Hattons in an English courtroom into the fall.

Nobody took Mayweather seriously when he insisted he was going to walk away from boxing at 30, at the peak of his game, at a time when he is almost universally acclaimed the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"What prompted [negotiations with Hatton] is, over the last couple of weeks, Ricky Hatton has been saying a lot about Floyd Mayweather," said Leonard Ellerbee, Mayweather's manager. "He's used Floyd's name to promote himself, and then he said … Saturday night that he had more excitement in four rounds than Floyd had in his career. To say that … is very disrespectful. Floyd heard him say that on HBO, and said, 'OK, be careful what you ask for.' He's calling Hatton's bluff, and now the whole world will see if this guy wants to fight and sign a contract now. … We can definitely make it happen this year. The ball's in their court."

Presumably Mayweather also heard that De La Hoya called Hatton after the fight to congratulate him. That might have spurred Mayweather to end his much-ridiculed retirement.

De La Hoya hasn't decided if he'll retire. But he said Monday, "Ricky Hatton and I could fill [England's] Wembley Stadium."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

According to this article, De La Hoya wants a piece of Hatton too. This is a really interesting read, could review of the fightm IMO. From foxsport.com

Hatton has big options ahead
    Michael Katz
    BoxingScene.com, Updated 6 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

print
    send
    blog LIKE THIS STORY?

Noted boxing writer, Michael Katz, recently joined BoxingScene.com and will regularly share his thoughts and insight.

It was only five weeks that I was AWOL from the 'Net, but in that time, obviously Jose Luis Castillo got very old.
    Hasim Rahman and Antonio Tarver didn't look so fresh, either.

There will be an attempt to catch up some later on what happened while I was so rudely interrupted, for now, Topic A must be Castillo and the man who knocked him out with a liver shot just below the arm pit, Ricky Hatton.

Losers are usually more interesting, even without rising livers, but for this fight we should obviously concentrate on the Brit Man who will undoubtedly play a starring role in boxing's near future. The 43-0 (31 knockouts) Hatton, the first man to drop Castillo, immediately replaces Miguel Cotto as the hot flavor of the month.

Hatton may be a tough brawler inside the ring, but outside, he's a smooth operator. He says all the right things. He dedicated the bout to Castillo's late rival, Diego Corrales. He told the Mexican fans "I'm sorry I put it to one of your heroes" and asked them, since he fights like one of them, to give him their allegiance. After the fight in loud and raucous — but not sold-out — Thomas & Mack Arena, he was asked who's next.

He said he was up for battling Mr. Guiness, probably more rounds than he gave Castillo, after all, it's a "real smoooooth drink." He called out Floyd Mayweather Jr., whom he imitated on the way to the ring by wearing a large sombrero and his crew sporting the same kind of "I Love Mexico" shirts used by Pretty Boy on the way to his victory last month over Oscar de la Hoya. The flattery stopped as soon as the bout started — he's no Mayweather inside the ring. But the smoothie soon had the No. 1 pound-for-pounder quickly ready to end his "retirement" for the Mancurian candidate.

Hatton goaded the Pretty Boy rather neatly. He said it would be an "honor" to fight him, especially after a fourth-round stoppage of the man who gave Mayweather his two toughest fights, but added, "If I fought Mayweather, he'd run like Forrest Gump."

He said that his brief time with Castillo produced more excitement than all of Mayweather's fights. And, lo and behold, Tiny Tim Smith, my linear successor at both the New York Times and New York Daily News (but my predecessor at boxingscene.com), reported Sunday that Leonard Ellerbe, who has all along maintained Floyd's retirement was "real," was ready to sign contracts "now."

Was it just something Hatton had said? Or was it, perhaps, the fact that in his dressing room he received a congratulatory call from an even bigger possible opponent, Oscar de la Hoya? Suddenly, the Mayweather clan wants Hatton to take out the pen.

He's too smooth for that. If there is a chance of facing de la Hoya next year, Hatton probably will go on a four-corner attack. The supply of opponents that could fill the MEN Arena in Manchester is endless. Already, fighters from Joel Casamayor to Vivian Harris are calling him out. The winner, however, will probably be Paulie Malignaggi. As one Mayweather camper told me, "Hatton wants to fight at Madison Square Garden."

Malignaggi may not be an "elite" fighter, but he is a huge local attraction and New York is a hell of a better attraction than most American burgs for the wild Manchester fans who follow Hatton.

Many of my colleagues seem bemused by the group. Frankly, by the time the bell finally rang to start the highly anticipated match, I was rooting whole-heartedly for Castillo, though I was wise enough to not follow my instincts and take the almost 2-1 odds on him. Ian Darke, the genial British TV voice of boxing, cast a rather unflattering eye, or ear, on the full-throated chanters and muttered something about, "They're soccer fans."

Okay, they were having a good time, singing along to the five-piece brass band that sat in their midst, singing the British national anthem and other ditties through the tedious Art Pelullo undercard.

It seemed like something else when the Brits booed the Mexican flag, the Mexican anthem and, finally, the "Star-Spangled Banner." Sore losers. Mind you, I was the first kid on my block to get married in Birmingham, which makes my daughter half-English.

(The worst though was when Pelullo's favorite ring announcer, preceding the great Michael Buffer, introduced the singers of the three national anthems. When it came to the singer from Sheffield, announcer Mike Williams said, "Here to sing the world's greatest national anthem..." Surprisingly, she did "God Save the Queen" and not the "Marseilles.")

The question of the day was just how much of Hatton's dominant performance was Hatton and how much was the faded Castillo. I was not among the many who thought El Terrible would show up empty, excusing last January's struggles with Herman Ngoudjo as just another rust-ridden, unenthusiastic performance thrown in by good fighters who still somehow manage to win on off-nights. I thought his aggressive counter-punching style would give Hatton trouble.

Even at first, when Castillo seemed to be on rather shaky legs, stumbling around the ring, seemingly no match physically for the bigger and yet quicker Englishman, I did not jump to the obviously correct conclusion that he was terrible, not El Terrible. He was often a slow starter and I was willing to give him time to sort things out. In the third round, he seemed to be coming on — he would later say "the fight was getting more interesting" — landing a couple of nice uppercuts that momentarily backed up Hatton. At the end of the third, I marked "close, close round" in my notebook and, like two of the judges, scored it for Hatton (the capable Duane Ford gave the round to Castillo).

But in the fourth, well before Referee Joe Cortez (who had another bad night) undeservedly took a point from Castillo for allegedly low blows, well before the left hook that would end it, Hatton had already shown he could make adjustments. I don't know what trainer Billy Graham told him between rounds, but Hatton showed much more agility on his feet to start the fourth and, giving himself lovely angles from which to punch, took complete control.

Then came the shot to the high liver. Maybe it was to the ribs, maybe it was Castillo saying to himself, "What's the point of going on, I have no chance against this tiger?" He spun around, went to one knee and listened to Cortez count.

"He got me good," he would say in the ring afterwards. "It was a perfect shot. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't get up. It was a good shot."

His promoter, Bob Arum, said he hoped Castillo would retire and again blamed the state of Nevada and its athletic commission for sounding "the death knell" by suspending the Mexican for a year and fining him $250,000 for showing up overweight a second time for a match with Corrales.

"You can't take a fighter his age and lay him off that long," said Arum, quite reasonably.

Castillo, it now seems clear, was an "old" 33. He had been boxing pro since the age of 16 after starting as an amateur at age 12. He fought some of the best — beating Stevie Johnston, Cesar Bazan, Joel Casamayor, Julio Diaz, Juan Lazcano and, of course, the fourth-rounjd KO of Corrales in their rematch. Then there were the 24 rounds with Mayweather, the closest Pretty Boy has come to losing.

And let us not forget the four years of grueling work as the chief sparring partner for Julio Cesar Chavez. Yes, he was ready to get old overnight.

"I thought the wars with Diego took a lot out of him," said Gary Shaw, Corrales' last promoter. "I also believe he'd had trouble making 140. Maybe he should give 147 try."

Maybe not. Even Shaw conceded that there was a reasonable argument that Castillo was past it.

"Hatton is wide open for uppercuts and a good stiff jab," said the promoter. "Hatton has a lot of openings, he probably saw them but couldn't pull the trigger."

Then there was the thought, also not unreasonable, that Castillo just quit, much like Kostya Tszyu, the other big name on Hatton's resume. When a fighter reaches the end, sometimes discretion takes over. There was Alexis Arguello, sitting on his haunches, his arms wrapped around his knees, as they counted him out in his second try at Aaron Pryor. He gave it his best shot, right on Pryor's granite chin, and finally realized the futility of persevering.

Castillo, it is argued, had little incentive to get up because he was not going to take home much of his $500,000 purse. Bollocks, as the Brits would say. Yes he needs the money after Nevada's "Draconian" — as Arum called the punishment — $250,000 fine. Getting up was the ONLY way he'd ever be able to earn back that kind of money in boxing.

There was a story going round that all he was going to take home was $41,700, another that Shaw had attached a lien to his purse because of his suit against Castillo for damages when he didn't come close to making weight for the aborted rubber match with Corrales.

Well, $100,000 was deducted to pay Arum back for taking care of the fine. But last week, Castillo received an advance of $125,000 — which must be added to his take — the $183,000 deduction from the IRS could be lowered after the accountants get through. Plus, there'll be $25,000 if he passes his post-fight urine test. That raises his take to at least $182,000. And remember, it's his own fault for the way he handled his inability to make 135 pounds twice against Chico, insisting all along he was on weight when he wasn't.

Anyway, Shaw said he wasn't the one who tried to get Castillo's purse attached but Corrales's widow, Michele, and possibly her good friend, Jin (Mrs. Sugar) Mosley. Shaw said when he heard Castillo would be getting maybe ONLY $130,000, "I couldn't do that (ask for a lien) — I've got to sleep with myself." On that straight line...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anthony Mundine retained his WBA super-middleweight belt last night and wants Kessler or Calzaghe. Much as I like watching him, I think he's living in a dream-world, as Kessler's already beaten his ass once.

From the Sydney Morning Herald

Briggs doubts whether Mundine believes he can beat the best
    Email Print Normal font Large font June 28, 2007 - 1:17PM

Advertisement
    AdvertisementAustralia's world-ranked light heavyweight Paul Briggs has questioned whether Anthony Mundine has the self-belief to defeat champion international boxers Mikkel Kessler or Joe Calzaghe.

Mundine earned a unanimous points decision over tough Argentinian Pablo Zamora Nievas to retain his WBA world super middleweight title on the Gold Coast last night.

In the lead-up to the fight, former rugby league star Mundine spoke confidently about challenging WBO titleholder Calzaghe or undefeated WBC and WBA champion Kessler in a "super fight".

But Briggs told AAP today he doubted whether Mundine, 32, really believed he could beat Denmark's Kessler or Welshman Calzaghe after struggling to put away a courageous Nievas over 12 rounds last night.

"Anthony will talk it up but the reality of the situation is completely different to what he thinks in his head," said Briggs, who watched the bout in his role as a pay TV commentator.

"It'd be great to see him fight like this against the elite guys because I truly think he's got the goods to be able to beat them but does he believe that?

"He's got the skills and he can do it but every time he's really stepped up to the elite guys he's got beaten.

"He talks about never getting beaten again and that's great. It's easy to carry on when you're fighting blokes like he fought last night."

Mundine used his lightning jab and evasive skills in the ring to wear down Nievas, who had never previously gone beyond six rounds.

"It was a frustrating fight in the sense that he (Mundine) couldn't put the guy away and they're the fights that you learn from," Briggs remarked.

"It's only going to do him benefit and no harm at all."

Mundine last night described Nievas as "definitely the toughest fighter I've fought in my career".

"It goes to show these so-called experts, they don't know shit," added Mundine, who improved his record to 29-3 (22KO).

"They don't know nothing about the real professional elite stage of sport."

Despite straining a right biceps muscle early in the fight, Mundine was able to outclass his plucky opponent, who was at long odds of $10 to cause an upset.

"I won pretty much every round and I proved I'm one of the superior fighters in the world and I'm only going to get better," boasted Mundine.

"My jab is the key. I'm super quick."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hatton camp makes a $10million offer to Mayweather

From sportinglife.com

HOBSON MAKES OFFER TO MAYWEATHER
    E-mail Article Print-Friendly Subscribe to RSS Feed
    Post to del.icio.us

By Mark Staniforth, PA Sport

Ricky Hatton's promoter Dennis Hobson has upped the stakes in his bid to secure a super-fight with Floyd Mayweather by offering the American $10million to come to Britain.

Hobson is convinced he can put together an offer to tempt the 'Pretty Boy' to come out of his short retirement to fight Hatton in the first big fight at the new Wembley Stadium.

Mayweather has already said he would be willing to come back to fight Hatton, who looked hugely impressive in his fourth-round stoppage of Jose Luis Castillo in Las Vegas last weekend.

Hobson said: "I've offered Floyd $10million to come to Britain and find out who is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"Mayweather is saying he wants to put pen to paper and this is his big chance to do so. It is a very substantial offer so if Mayweather is serious it is there for him to agree.

"I have already spoken to some of his people and they have been very receptive. Now I am just waiting for them call back and indicate their level of interest."

Hobson insists the expected huge attendance figures could bankroll the fight, for which Hatton would expect a similar-sized purse.

He added: "There is no reason we can't do it over here. We would be happy to align it with pay-per-view time in the States so it could suit both sides of the Atlantic."

Hobson, who is currently negotiating with Hatton to extend his own promotional contract, has revealed he has also been in talks with representatives of IBF light-welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi.

Hobson added: "Talks with Malignaggi's camp have been encouraging but that is definitely a Madison Square Garden fight. Ideally we would like to get the next one secured in this country for Ricky."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hobson is delusional if he thinks Hatton is in the running for pound ofr pound fighter, top ten maybe.

At Wembley Stadium, which seats 120,000+, that would be an incredible event.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd bet the farm Floyd won't fight in Britain and be subject to those judges.

Hatton makes all this noise about making big fights here in the states, and then tries this.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah I thought that too, but they want to put it at a time to coinicde with American PPV.

I suppose they're going for Wembley because of the seating capacity, which perhaps they need to generate the $10 million dollars? That's a complete guess.

No, I can't see Floyd coming to England either; although only one of the three judges would probably be British, with the other two been American.

The reason I don't see him travelling is because Hatton needs him, not the other way around.

Personlly, I think a Hatton-De La Hoya fight is much more likely to happen....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

July 7th: Vlad Klitscho vs Lamont Brewster.

Now Brewster beat him in 2004 (maybe 2005) with a TKO right? Having said, that Vlad has to be the favourite.

It's better for boxing is an American gets the belt (especially since Shannon Briggs has lost his), but I just don't see it happening....

Thoughts?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nope. Klitschko with Manny Steward in his corner has been much improved. Brewster is a journeyman, has a nice punch but he's not elite.

Puncher's chance, no more ...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sidorenko retains WBA bantamweight title

June 29, 2007

MARSEILLE, FRANCE (TICKER) -- Wladimir Sidorenko would not settle for a draw this time.

Making his fifth defense of his WBA bantamweight title, Sidorenko scored a seventh-round knockout of local product Jerome Arnould to retain his crown at the Palais des Sports on Friday.

Since winning a unanimous decision against Julio Zarate for the vacant belt on February 26, 2005, the 30-year-old Sidorenko (20-0-2, 7 KOs) has held on to the title despite battling to draws in two of his previous three fights. But on Friday, the Ukrainian was too much for Arnould (14-3-1), knocking down the challenger in the fifth round before finishing him off two rounds later.

With the impressive performance, the 5-4 champion handed the 22-year-old Arnould his first defeat in eight bouts. The Frenchman had not lost since December 16, 2005, when he was outpointed by Algerian Cherif Saki in a six-round tussle.

Arnould took on Saki in a rematch in May 2006 but was forced to settle for a draw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...orenkoarnould& ;prov=st&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pacquiao vs. Barrera rematch on after dispute ends

June 29, 2007

LOS ANGELES (TICKER) -- Manny Pacquiao and Marco Antonio Barrera will fight in Las Vegas on October 6 after a settlement was reached on Friday between two of boxing's most influential promotional companies.

Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank have agreed to settle various legal disputes, including one involving Pacquiao.

That paves the way for the rematch to take place at Mandalay Bay. Pacquiao won the first meeting, Barrera's corner throwing in the towel in the 11th round.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Current Boxing Champions

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sturm retains WBA middleweight belt

June 30, 2007

STUTTGART, GERMANY (TICKER)
    -- Felix Sturm put an end to Noe Tulio Gonzalez Alcoba's dream of an undefeated career.

Sturm retained his WBA middleweight title Saturday, recording a unanimous decision over the previously unbeaten Alcoba at the Porsche Arena.

Entering with seven knockouts in his first 14 professional fights - all victories - Alcoba (14-1) was unable to outbox the German champion in his first shot at a major championship. The 28-year-old native of Uruguay lost each of the three judges' scorecards - 116-112, 120-108 and 118-110.

It was the first successful defense for Sturm (28-2, 12 KOs) in his second term as the WBA champion. The 28-year-old won the belt on April 28 from Javier Castillejo, who scored a technical knockout of Sturm on July 15, 2006 to end his first stint with the crown.

Sturm next is scheduled to make a mandatory defense of the belt against Randy Griffin on a date yet to be determined.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holyfield takes Savarese in 10-round decision

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL, Associated Press Writer

July 1, 2007

EL PASO, Texas (AP)
    -- Evander Holyfield outworked and outclassed Lou Savarese on Saturday night, winning a 10-round unanimous decision to remain undefeated in his latest comeback.

Holyfield, the 44-year-old former heavyweight champion, started and ended the fight with a hard left to the head of the 41-year-old Savarese. In between, Holyfield was in control.

The judges scored it 98-90, 99-87 and 96-91.

Savarese, a former title contender himself, held his own for the first eight rounds before being knocked off his feet with a hard left to the chin.

Holyfield (42-8-2) knocked Savarese (46-7) to the mat again in the 10th, with Savarese looking as though he was hoping to just stay upright.

Holyfield came in weighing 219 pounds, giving Savarese a 23-pound advantage that wasn't all that tough to overcome.

"Lou hurt me with an upper cut (in the third)...but I got away from the next one," Holyfield said after the fight.

That was about the only stunning shot for Savarese, who himself had been on the comeback trail.

Holyfield said after a quick try at fighting the taller Savarese on the inside, he moved to the outside and did his best to land some quick, hard left jabs.

Savarese did a good job of dodging second hits, Holyfield said.

Savarese, looking swollen and battered, said that the fight was his last.

"I fought hard," he said. "I gave it my all."

It was Holyfield's fourth bout since returning to boxing after a two-year layoff. His goal is to win an unprecedented fifth heavyweight title and unify the belts in the messy division before retiring for good.

Saturday's result was a big step toward possibly getting another crack at one of the many fighters holding a heavyweight championship belt.

For his part, Holyfield said he believes a title shot will be next.

"I will be the five-time undisputed heavyweight champion of the world," Holyfield said.

Holyfield last held the undisputed championship after a 1990 win against James "Buster" Douglas.

Holyfield started his comeback in Texas last year. Despite his wins, Holyfield is just three years removed from losing his license to fight in New York, where boxing officials cited diminished skills shortly after losing an ugly 12-round decision Larry Donald.

Holyfield's professional career dates to 1984, and he's hoping to become the oldest heavyweight champion ever, surpassing George Foreman's record.

Story

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Japan's Sakata wins WBA flyweight title

July 1, 2007

TOKYO (AP)
    -- Takefumi Sakata of Japan won the WBA flyweight title Sunday with a unanimous decision over Roberto Vasquez.

Sakata used a barrage of punches to the head in the late rounds and was never seriously challenged in the 12-round bout at Ariake Colosseum. The three judges scored the fight 115-113, 116-112 and 116-112.

Sakata improved to 31-4-1 with 15 KOs. Vasquez dropped to 24-2 with 17 KOs.

Sakata and Vasquez fought last December in France when the Panamanian won a split decision with the WBA interim flyweight title at stake because champion Lorenzo Parra was injured. In March, Parra lost by TKO against Sakata, who became the flyweight champion with the obligation to face Vasquez.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...akata-vasquez& prov=ap&type=lgns

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Seems to me that in the current heavyweight climate, Holyfield might actually win a title.

He's been much better since they sorted his shoulder out so that he could actually move his head...lol!

With the lack of heavyweight talent about, he just might do it.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Pacquiao vs. Barrera rematch on after dispute ends

June 29, 2007

LOS ANGELES (TICKER) -- Manny Pacquiao and Marco Antonio Barrera will fight in Las Vegas on October 6 after a settlement was reached on Friday between two of boxing's most influential promotional companies.

Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank have agreed to settle various legal disputes, including one involving Pacquiao.

That paves the way for the rematch to take place at Mandalay Bay. Pacquiao won the first meeting, Barrera's corner throwing in the towel in the 11th round.

barrera is one of my favourite fighters, and he has had a hell of a career and always fought the best fighters, which we all know is rare these days.

I thought he was unlucky not to get the decision with Marques, and a rematch would have been great.

If a FOCUSSED Pacquiao gets into the ring, this will probably be quite one-sided, as Manny is a demon when he brings his game; he can toast anyone at that weight at the moment.

But if we see some Barrera magic, then we could have another war on our hands.

Looking forward to it

Thread Information