Page 20 of 84 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333470 ... LastLast

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Reports coming out of the aye-Klitschko press conferencve in New York this week suggest that these two gnerally detest one another, and that Haye is getting to Wlad. will we finally see a Wlad Klitschko fight that isn't boring?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

Dave's Bitch (05-08-2011)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Pacman-Mosely. Who ya got?
    Thinkin' unless Pacman catches Mosley with something big early, it's going to a loooong night for the Energizer bunny... not like he's going to overwhelm Mosley with speed...should be interesting.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Reports coming out of the aye-Klitschko press conferencve in New York this week suggest that these two gnerally detest one another, and that Haye is getting to Wlad. will we finally see a Wlad Klitschko fight that isn't boring?
    One can only hope...!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Thinkin' unless Pacman catches Mosley with something big early, it's going to a loooong night for the Energizer bunny... not like he's going to overwhelm Mosley with speed...should be interesting.
    Many people are saying that Mosely is on some kind of longterm decline and that the Margaritto victory was a mirage in his slide. I'm not so sure. Yeah, he was outclassed by Floyd (who took it easy on him towards the end out of respect - there could have been a stoppage there); and yeah, he looked like dogshit against Mora, who is no Pacquaio. But Shane has never looked convincing at 154 and has always struggled with guys who are taller and ellusive. He's at his best in a fight. Manny will give him that, and I expect Shane to be able to land reguarly on Manny, who is no defensive master.

I expect Manny to win on points - largely due to higher workrate. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we'll see a brutal retirement beating (although I hope not.) Roach clearly think Shane's on the slide, or this fight wouldn't be happening.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

R.I.P Henry Cooper.

A British boxing legend.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Many people are saying that Mosely is on some kind of longterm decline and that the Margaritto victory was a mirage in his slide. I'm not so sure. Yeah, he was outclassed by Floyd (who took it easy on him towards the end out of respect - there could have been a stoppage there); and yeah, he looked like dogshit against Mora, who is no Pacquaio. But Shane has never looked convincing at 154 and has always struggled with guys who are taller and ellusive. He's at his best in a fight. Manny will give him that, and I expect Shane to be able to land reguarly on Manny, who is no defensive master.

I expect Manny to win on points - largely due to higher workrate. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we'll see a brutal retirement beating (although I hope not.) Roach clearly think Shane's on the slide, or this fight wouldn't be happening.

I'd tend to agree, but if anyone can pull the rabbit out of the hat, so to speak...it's probably Mosely...

Having said that, I wish Pacman- Mayweather would finally happen just to see Floyd completely outwit Manny...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Floyd needs a tune-up first methinks.....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Call me crazy but i think Haye-Klitschko will be the best and most exciting heavyweight fight we have seen since Lennox Lewis and Klitschko. I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility for Shane to knock out Pacman in the stunner of the year.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My heart would love to think that Haye has a chance - he's got speed, he's got power, and he's got a little X-factor too. He's also playing a smart mind-game. However, he is vulnerable when hit, and no-one hits harder than Wlad. I just don't see Haye lasting long enough to be honest. We can hope though - he certainly has a better chance against Wlad than he would Vitali.

Shane is a ATG, so we shouldn't count him out. As I said above, he also looks best against guys who come to fight, so Pacquaio is good for him. Can he handle the work rate and the punishment at nearly 40? I don't know - its a tall order. If he hurts Pacman, however, he'll finish him.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My heart would love to think that Haye has a chance - he's got speed, he's got power, and he's got a little X-factor too. He's also playing a smart mind-game. However, he is vulnerable when hit, and no-one hits harder than Wlad. I just don't see Haye lasting long enough to be honest. We can hope though - he certainly has a better chance against Wlad than he would Vitali.

Shane is a ATG, so we shouldn't count him out. As I said above, he also looks best against guys who come to fight, so Pacquaio is good for him. Can he handle the work rate and the punishment at nearly 40? I don't know - its a tall order. If he hurts Pacman, however, he'll finish him.
    He certainly has the power to hurt Manny (betting he hits harder than JMM), so I think again, unless he gets lucky early...Pacman is in trouble.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Here we go Sugar Shane, here we go!!

And anybody who beats a Klitschko is my main man.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's hard not to like Sugar Shane, isn't it?

Both Klitschkos are very, very beatable - it will take someone very conditioned (rare these days), with decent speed and work rate to outpoint them. Watch a heavyweight fight from the other 'lost era' of the heavyweight division (early 80s before Tyson) and note how much quicker those guys were. Smaller, certainly, but quicker and more willing to work hard.

The Klits can only beat who's infront of them, and they do it well - but I'm sick of seeing these pussies go over to Germany to get a pay day and coming in 30lbs overweight and only throwing 20 punches a round. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you put the lesser fighters from the '80s in todays mix and they'd be Gods: Frank Bruno, Tony Tucker, Tony Tubbs, Greg Page, Trevor Berbeck......what America would give for one of those guys today.

14. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-04-2011)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've got to say (reluctantly), that I think Pacquaio wins by UD tomorrow.

I hope that Shane has his moments, and I believe that if he goes to the body early and often he can give Pacquaio hell. I just think that Pacman's relentlessness will prevail - this will be age defeated by (relative) youth, I feel. Shane always looks best when he can hit his opponent, and he will be able to hit Pacman, so I'm hoping it won't be too one-sided.

To my eyes, however, to beat Pacquiao you have to work well on the back foot, keep him off balance continually and give him angles. I don't think Shane can do that. He's not a boxer, he's a fighter (albeit one with fast hands.)

Freddie Roach is a smart guy: De La Hoya (weight-drained); Cotto (weight-drained - but Pacman would always have his number); Margarrito (weight-drained and suffering from a long lay-off); Mosely (old and coming off two poor performances). The only guy in recent years not fighting at a disadvantage was Clottely, and he only turned up for a payday.

There's a reason Juan Manuel Marquez isn't getting his rematch......

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I imagine that Kelly Pavlik will win tonight on the Pac-Mosely undercard.

He will look like shit, however. I just don't see Kelly as a force at 168.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've got to say (reluctantly), that I think Pacquaio wins by UD tomorrow.
    While I reluctantly agree with you, I'm still keeping hope alive he knocks PacMan the F out...

There's a reason Juan Manuel Marquez isn't getting his rematch......
    Because he'd likely WIN...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not bashing Pacman by any stretch of the imagination - he is an ATG, and has a remarkable CV. Not only has he beaten top guys, he's decimated them. But like many fighters when they command the mega$$$$, he is carefully matched. JMM aside, has he ever fought at great boxer? He's battered plenty of great fighters, but not boxers.

JMM beat him twice, IMO. Interestingly, in the second fight Pacman looked ready to quit at one point (round 8 or 9).

Anyway, back to Mosely. I read an interview with Manny Steward today in which he gave Mosely zero chance because Shane is 'not a boxer or a puncher'. Not a puncher? Fuck off. If Shane hurts Manny, he WILL finish him. And he can do it at any time - ask Margarrito, ask Mayorga.

I just see Shane been overwhelmed by Manny's workrate and lateral movement.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Any of you stuttering pricks gettin the fight? If so, care to give a round by round recap?

- Sincerely, us broke ass Army brethren

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I feel your pain, my friend.

I will be looking to source it somewhere on the internet tomorrow. In the current economic climate I just can't justified the TV package that would allow me to watch that in the UK.

I have a number of friends who very generously send me footage in the days after big fights.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well... it looks like the fight went the way any sane betting man would have laid money on it.....

Pac Man UD.

I didnt see it but I guess Manny just destroyed Shane inside and out. Dropped him in the 3rd, for only the 3rd time in his career. Didnt see that coming.

Apparently Mosley was credited with a knockdown in the 10th, but by all accounts it was a push....

Time to call it, Shane...

Masterful show from Manny....

From what I understand, Pavlik also looked good considering his ring rust from a year away from the ring after that beating from Mora. He took a majority decision while landing some nice shots in the later rounds.

Anybody think the now sober "Ghost" can reclaim his status? He's only 29.....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down So glad I didn't drop $$ for that...

I think I would have been pissed if I'd shelled out $50 to watch by all accounts Mosley running from PacMan all night. Worst part was that they said he COULD hurt Manny, yet chose not to engage. Dunno what's up with that, will have to watch the replay next weekend.

Here's the round-by-round blog I was checking out last night...again, if this description is accurate, glad I didn't waste my money...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...log/index.html

One comment I saw: "Mosley's fighting like Ginger Rogers danced...backwards, and in heels." :eek:

Mayweather-Pacquiao HAS TO HAPPEN NOW. Take the fucking test, Manny!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Manny would be floored by Mayweather.Mayweather is a textbook BOXER.Manny really pisses me off.He is all offence,he has half the game down but he is not a BOXER.Only reason he is so big is because he is TV friendly

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I doubt that.Haye is a good boxer but wlad has something like an 80 inch reach and a lethat straight.If Haye is to win he is going to have to get inside and throw upwards.Maybe catch wlad napping and score a big counter.I would love nothing more than to see Wlad KO'D mid fight

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    I doubt that.Haye is a good boxer but wlad has something like an 80 inch reach and a lethat straight.If Haye is to win he is going to have to get inside and throw upwards.Maybe catch wlad napping and score a big counter.I would love nothing more than to see Wlad KO'D mid fight
    Indeed. The problem for Haye is that many, many people have tried to negate Wlad's jab and failed. He is trying to annoy Wlad so that he comes forward, making him easier for Haye to pick off.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DlocRoth View Post
    Well... it looks like the fight went the way any sane betting man would have laid money on it.....

Pac Man UD.

I didnt see it but I guess Manny just destroyed Shane inside and out. Dropped him in the 3rd, for only the 3rd time in his career. Didnt see that coming.

Apparently Mosley was credited with a knockdown in the 10th, but by all accounts it was a push....

Time to call it, Shane...

Masterful show from Manny....

From what I understand, Pavlik also looked good considering his ring rust from a year away from the ring after that beating from Mora. He took a majority decision while landing some nice shots in the later rounds.

The scorecards don't tell the story - I actually managed to find this online and watched it.

Shane tried to box: the problem is that he isn't a boxer. The knockdown aside, Manny didn't look so great either.

Sure, it's hard to fight a guy who's on the backfoot, but Manny spent most of the night missing and won solely on workrate and Shane's reluctance to throw punches. Against an effective boxer/ counterpuncher, Manny will always have problems. Shane is neither, but what surprised me is how even jabbing a little and fighting off the backfoot in an ineffective fashion made Manny look sluggis and crude.

i suspect Shane took this fight for a payday - he clearly didn't want to trade. He's been a warrior throughout his career, so I guess we can allow him a stinker.

27. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-12-2011)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DlocRoth View Post
    He looked OK.

To be honest, I've never been sold on Pavlik - he was middleweight champ at a lull time. Jermain Taylor was the only A level fighter he beat and when he came up against two others - Bhop and Martinez - not only did he get beaten, he got dominated. There was a reason his promoters never let him fight the other big guns at 160 - Arthur Abraham and Paul Williams - it's because they knew Pavlik wasn't up to task. The Martinex fight happened out of desperation (what else were they going to do with him at the point?); the BHop one because they thought Bernard was shot.

I just don't see Pavlik as a force at 168.At 160 he could edge most guys in size and power. He can't at 168, and his fundamental lack of skills will be exposed again and again by the likes of Froch, Kessler, Dirrell, Bute and Ward.

Maybe with a new trainer we'll see something - Pavlik needs to learn footwork and defence. His current trainer is a bit of a joke: if I hear that guy say 'double up the jab' one more time I'm going to explode (as though that makes Kelly invincible?) I remember watching the Bhop fight with my day - as Pavlik's trainer kept repeating 'double up the jab' my Dad turned to me and said 'that's about as much use as a nun in a brothel if the first one ain't landing!'

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unfortunately, i bought the pay per view. You know you are in trouble when the best part of the fight turns out to be the ring walks. L.L. Cool J. led Mosley out singing "Mama Said Knock You Out" which was cool. I thought this might really pump up Shane. Manny had the lead singer of Surviver lead him out singing "Eye of the Tiger." It was really a nice build up. The only thing worth seeing on the card was a great performance by Jorge Arce who claimed a third title at a different weight. He was relentless and i would recommend anyone that can find a way to watch that fight please do yourself a favor. As for Manny and Floyd, it is really getting to the point where both are going to miss their window. If they keep dicking around until they both get too old, they run the risk of severly diminishing the importance of the fight.

31. Thanked sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

binnie (05-09-2011)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not much to look forward to this weekend. I don't look for the Ward/Abraham fight to be very competitive (wish it would be). I just don't see Abraham being able to find Andre or get off at all. I think it will be a very boring fight unless Ward has a mind to go after Abraham and try and get him out of there. I wish the Froch / Johnson fight would get here. That is a far more interesting matchup.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Unfortunately, i bought the pay per view. You know you are in trouble when the best part of the fight turns out to be the ring walks. L.L. Cool J. led Mosley out singing "Mama Said Knock You Out" which was cool. I thought this might really pump up Shane. Manny had the lead singer of Surviver lead him out singing "Eye of the Tiger." It was really a nice build up. The only thing worth seeing on the card was a great performance by Jorge Arce who claimed a third title at a different weight. He was relentless and i would recommend anyone that can find a way to watch that fight please do yourself a favor. As for Manny and Floyd, it is really getting to the point where both are going to miss their window. If they keep dicking around until they both get too old, they run the risk of severly diminishing the importance of the fight.
    I'm going to try to catch the replay this weekend, but one thing my buddy told me (besides that Shane looked utterly shocked PacMan was able to drop him) Manny said in the post-fight interview was that every time Shane clinched with him, he'd say "Go away."...WTF?? I mean, if you're at that point, don't answer the bell for the next round, or throw in the towel, you obviously don't want to be there...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exclamation AWWW shit!

Just saw that Floyd Mayweather re-posted this article from RING TALK...

FIGHTER: “I INJECTED MANNY PACQUIAO WITH STEROIDS”

PAC’S DENYING DRUG USE OVER?

Las Vegas, NV- One of Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao’s former sparring partners has admitted that he regularly injected the fighter with steroids “in the locker room, in the upper outer quarter of his butt cheek!” The man, a Filipino and former pro fighter, now fears the wrath of millions of his fellow countrymen, and as a result, his identity is protected. He claims to have worked with Pacquiao from “his early years” up until Pacquiao’s 2010 fight with Miguel Cotto, and claims Pacman only began using steroids in anticipation of his 2009 fight with Oscar De La Hoya.

PAC NOW USING UNDETECTABLE HGH & INSULIN

He also claims that Pacquiao has switched from using steroids, to now using a complex mixture of HGH (human growth hormone) and insulin, a combination that is virtually undetectable in post fight drug tests. In an interview given in a top secret location in Las Vegas, the former Pacquiao associate said “Manny was curious about using steroids for many years before he actually started. There is a lot of steroid use in the Philippines, and they are easy to get.”

Read the whole thing here: http://www.freepressreleaselist.com/...rring-partner/

Still not completely credible from an anonymous source, but now it's more than JUST a rumor, and if proof actually comes out that he HAS been juicing all this time (I for one totally believe it...agree with Binnie Pac is a phenom, but he's kinda bordered on superhuman in recent years... in a way that makes it difficult to believe it's all JUST hard work), seriously...LOOK OUT.

Now he almost HAS to agree to submit to the testing to fight Floyd. In light of this, if he doesn't it's practically an admission of guilt IMO...

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2016 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

IMO that fight wont happen, Floyd doesn't want it..If he did, we would have seen 2 fights from them already (timewise).

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mayweather has more things in his life to worry about right now than boxing. He has had more harrassment charges filed against him, this time from security guards he supposedly threatened for ticketing his vehicle. He still has the felony counts to deal from his girlfriend to resolve. His personal life appears to be a mess. It would seem like he would be fighting more to get his mind off of that baggage. If he would harrass Manny the way he harrasses everyone else, the fight might actually happen.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Mayweather has more things in his life to worry about right now than boxing. He has had more harrassment charges filed against him, this time from security guards he supposedly threatened for ticketing his vehicle. He still has the felony counts to deal from his girlfriend to resolve. His personal life appears to be a mess. It would seem like he would be fighting more to get his mind off of that baggage. If he would harrass Manny the way he harrasses everyone else, the fight might actually happen.
    I think he actually DOES want the fight to happen, but doesn't want to risk losing his undefeated status to a guy who's "enhanced". I think most would agree in a clean, fair fight Floyd would DESTROY Manny. But if a lucky shot - amped up by HGH got through...it would likely knock him out. Otherwise why turn down a 40 million dollar payday?

Agree he (and Roger) need to settle the personal issues, but it does seem Floyd's about to ratchet up the harassment campaign against Manny now (again)...and if this is true, well he should.

I want to see Manny fight him clean. Now I'm more inclined to think I'd like to see how Manny fared in a fight clean, PERIOD.

OH, and I tried to watch the Mosley-Pacquiao replay, and got bored around the 5th-6th rounds...
    Last edited by jhale667; 05-13-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Floyd is being a primadonna for sure. It's clear doesn't want the fight whilst all of the legal trouble is hanging over him and Roger. That being said, Pacman has being funny with regards to testing right up to the fight - Idon't think thats proof of juicing, but it is delaying the fight.

This fight WILL happen - there is too much money involved not too.

Floyd is an asshole of epic proportions, but he boxes circles round Pacman after 4 or 5 rounds of adjusting to the southpaw style.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ward-Abraham will be an ugly fight, I imagine.

Ward will smother and outwork Abraham, who is too slow and too flat footed to box with him. Abraham could KO with a lucky shot, but I just don't see it.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ward looked great, as always. An clear UD for him over Abraham, but not as dominant as some pundits are claiming.

I'm guessing Abraham goes down to 160 again now. There are a couple of German champs he could fight. Alternatively, a fight with Kessler at 168 could happen - they share promoters.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Abraham did much better than i thought he would. What a surprise it was to see him coming forward to begin the fight. He put a lot of work in early which may have tired him out as the fight went on. He made it a tough fight for Ward with his rough tactics but just didn't have the skills to win. An enjoyable fight, which i didn't really expect going in - more than you can say about Pacman and Mosley.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All the journos are saying that Ward DOMINATED Abraham. He won comfortably, and looked great doing so, but he was getting tagged.

AA just doesn't have the workrate or footwork to compoete at the hgier weights: at 160 he could blast guys and use his strength - once those equal out, he's in difficult territory.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Floyd is being a primadonna for sure. It's clear doesn't want the fight whilst all of the legal trouble is hanging over him and Roger. That being said, Pacman has being funny with regards to testing right up to the fight - Idon't think thats proof of juicing, but it is delaying the fight.

This fight WILL happen - there is too much money involved not too.

Floyd is an asshole of epic proportions, but he boxes circles round Pacman after 4 or 5 rounds of adjusting to the southpaw style.
    Did you hear about the supposed email's from the pacquiao camp regardingthe drug tests?
    Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 05-16-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nope, I've not heard that one.

There's so much hysteria around the issue that I lose interest quickly.

Thread Information