Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343571 ... LastLast

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sounds suspect but teddy atlas said there were two emails sent to flloyds guys.The first is supposed to have asked what ramifications there would be if the test turned up positive,and here is the killer.The second is supposed to have asked if they would keep it secret if they turned up positive for the good of the sport
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    B-Hop Pascal anyone?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    Sounds suspect but teddy atlas said there were two emails sent to flloyds guys.The first is supposed to have asked what ramifications there would be if the test turned up positive,and here is the killer.The second is supposed to have asked if they would keep it secret if they turned up positive for the good of the sport
    That's got to be BS. No-one would be dumb enough to ask that via email.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

B-Hop Pascal anyone?
    Bhop on points.

I like Pascal a lot. His performances against Froch, Dianacou and Dawson were very, very impressive, and I think he could have been a champ for a long time if he'd been smary enough to avoid Bhop.

The 'draw' in the first fight was a joke - Bhop clearly edged it. Pascal gasses late on, doesn't throw enough punches or present the angles that could give Bhop trouble. Assuming he hasn't gotten old overnight (it HAS to happen sooner or later), Bhop wins this at 46 years old.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    That's got to be BS. No-one would be dumb enough to ask that via email.
    Teddy Atlas also really does not seem to like manny,So i would second that

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Bhop on points.

I like Pascal a lot. His performances against Froch, Dianacou and Dawson were very, very impressive, and I think he could have been a champ for a long time if he'd been smary enough to avoid Bhop.

The 'draw' in the first fight was a joke - Bhop clearly edged it. Pascal gasses late on, doesn't throw enough punches or present the angles that could give Bhop trouble. Assuming he hasn't gotten old overnight (it HAS to happen sooner or later), Bhop wins this at 46 years old.
    Becoming the oldest champion in history,that would be sweet.The first fight verdict was a joke yes,Bhop clearly won.However,Pascal knocked him down twice so mentally he knows he can hurt him.I think Bhop on points but i would even say a Pascal KO would not be out of the question if he can put enough pressure on early

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm sure Bhop has a game plan to weather the early storm this time.

Pascall could be a really great fighter if he ditched his Roy Jones fixation and got some stamina. He really has the potential to be the man at 175, until Andre Ward, Carl Froch and/or Mikkel Kessler move up that is.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Abraham did much better than i thought he would. What a surprise it was to see him coming forward to begin the fight. He put a lot of work in early which may have tired him out as the fight went on. He made it a tough fight for Ward with his rough tactics but just didn't have the skills to win. An enjoyable fight, which i didn't really expect going in - more than you can say about Pacman and Mosley.
    I agree Abraham did better than expected, and Ward by no means "dominated" him fully, and he was getting tagged. It was a good fight though. I watched Pacquiao-Mosely again and was just as annoyed for having watched the whole thing this time. IMO it looks like, after the 3rd round, Mosely said to himself "Fuck this. I'm not getting knocked out, but I'm GETTIN' paid." It looked more like he was sparring from that point on, and retreating when Manny tried to engage. The thing that annoyed me most was clearly Mosely could tag him - and for a couple of brief seconds stopped Manny in his tracks, but then refused to capitalize on it. I think Nazim Richardson was getting pissed too, when in the corner he said to Mosely "That knock-down's got you all defensive-minded. You need to ....(go back out there and let your hands go)", but Shane wouldn't.

Regarding the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight that HAS to happen now: Yes, I doubt the veracity of the email thing. too ...what buffoon would ask that? And I'd especially like to know the full context...was it like "Uh, what if we win, and THEN it turns out Manny was fully juiced...?" C'mon. No way. I believe the anonymous sparring partner story more easily...lol

But the "good of the sport" bit? Fuck that, someone using HGH or steriods or whatever is just as bad as Margarito having bricks in his gloves. Inexcusable.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mosely is a warrior - think of those fights where he gave it his all.

Against Manny, he wanted a payday. I think he was worried about getting KO's for sure.

A lot of this has to do with being totally outclassed by Floyd - Floyd breaks people mentally: you go from thinking you're invincible to realizing that you are not. It's a mental break: Hatton was never the same, Judah was never the same, and now Shane too.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Just been reading through this list of 100 greatest pound for pound boxers.Some pretty interesting stuff,May be fun to share.The link starts from number 95 (I did not fancy back tracking through it all)

Anyhow,Enjoy
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...ll-time/page/7

11. Thanked Dave's Bitch for this KICKASS post:

binnie (05-17-2011)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mosely is a warrior - think of those fights where he gave it his all.

Against Manny, he wanted a payday. I think he was worried about getting KO's for sure.

A lot of this has to do with being totally outclassed by Floyd - Floyd breaks people mentally: you go from thinking you're invincible to realizing that you are not. It's a mental break: Hatton was never the same, Judah was never the same, and now Shane too.
    I don't know about Judah. His fight with Floyd was actually a pretty good fight. Not to mention, Zab is a current world champion and is campaigning for a rematch with Floyd.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Zab has been mentally weak ever since. He crumbles in fights.

He has certainly looked better at 140 than 147, but he's yet to face a real elite fighter there. Floyd crushes him in a rematch.

Zab has great power, great speed and tons of skills. What stops him from being P4P is his mind.

14. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-17-2011)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Agree Floyd destroys Judah in a rematch. Floyd's been in Zab's head since that ring altercation. Probably still is. Mayweather-Pacquiao has to happen (he said again, as if a mantra)...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It will happen once Floyd and Roger's legal troubles are set aside.

Pacquiao-Marquez III will probably be next. Not sure about Marquez's chances over 140.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Pacquiao-Marquez III is supposed to be in november,Should be good

Flloyd aint got no excuses now
    http://www.nowboxing.com/2011/05/man...r-floyd/18225/

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm sure Bhop has a game plan to weather the early storm this time.

Pascall could be a really great fighter if he ditched his Roy Jones fixation and got some stamina. He really has the potential to be the man at 175, until Andre Ward, Carl Froch and/or Mikkel Kessler move up that is.
    PREDICTION TIME
    Bhop takes it,First title defence againts Donovan Mcnabb

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    OPINIONS

Heavyweight boxing right now is stuck in a rutt,being dominated by the Klitscho bro's.They have pretty much owned everyone and there is nobody other than Haye who could be a genuine contender.Do these guys need to fight or what.They are both sat comfy on the top of the heavyweight hill with thier titles with nobody to pose a genuine threat to them.I know they are brother's so i can understand not wanting to spend a night smashing a brother in the face,but hey who else is there?.When Wlad beats Haye (which lets face it probably will happen) he is gonna have what 3 title's,The only other one that really matters is held by Vitali.These guys need to fight each other,Answer the question on who is better (personally i think Vitali) and maybe take a look at stepping down.If nothing else imagine the pay out they could get

Thoughts?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The problem with two brothers fighting would be with regards to suspected match fixing - easy to sort out if it's in the family. They clearly do not want to fight one another too, which I completely understand. Vitali smashes Wlad all over the ring if it were to happen, by the way.

Heavyweight boxing certainly is in a rut. I don't blame to Klits, however. They fight EVERYONE, and they KO most of them - have any fighters ever had higher KO percentages yet being so interminably dull to watch? I think a lot of that dullness comes from their opposition, which never really pushes them. It's just so easy for those guys.

I think most fans would like to see an end to their reign now, however. Both brothers would have been a force in any era of boxing because of their sheer size and immense punching power. Vitali, in particular, could probably hang with anyone. Yet they are both beatable: doing so will really on speed, workrate and movement. Make these big guys work, land combinations and move. Not easy, but a lot smarter than standing in front of them and getting wacked all night. The problem with heavyweights, therefore, is not the champs but the contenders: Chris 'out of shape' Arreola, Tony 'the pussy' Thompson, Eddie 'I'm an overweight cruiserweight' Chambers, and Andre 'I won't step up' Povetkin are a disgrace. The rest of the guys are has-beens and never-weres: Hasim Rakmann and so on. The Klits can only fight wants in front of them.

Compare the speed, workrate and stamina of the last 'rut' era of heavyweight boxing (between Holmes and Tyson) and you'll see what I mean. Greg Page, Tony Tucker, Tony Tubbs, Pinklon Thomas, Trever Berbeck and 'Bonecrusher' Smith will not have a place near the top of the annals of heavyweight history - but those guys would have pushed the Klits at least; they would come prepared and keen to fight rather than showing up for a payday. Hell, Page and Tucker might even have stood a chance of causing an upset.

What we need now are contenders: young, fit, fast and motivated. You don't need to be 6'5" and 245lbs to step up. Matching weight with weight hasn't worked thus far in solving the Klitschko connundrum, and I doubt it will.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have a bad feeling about the Pascal vs BHop rematch for two reasons. First, the fight is still in Canada. You would think that after BHop got a draw in a fight that most people saw him winning, Pascal would man up and come to Vegas to defend the belt. Evidently, he would not do it and Bernard's only choice was to take a rematch in Canada where he got robbed the first time. I would assume that the judges have been carefully assessed and agreed upon by both sides so lets hope the hometown advantage is negated. The other problem i see for Bernard is that Pascal is not going to come out and fight by the same gameplan that he did the first time. I'm sure he knows in his heart of hearts, especially if he has watched tape of the fight, Bernard got the better of him. I don't see Pascal coming out and laying back the way he did. I see him coming out aggressive and pushing the fight, thus keeping Bernard on the defensive. While Bernard is a great backwards fighter, the question then becomes can Bernard stay busy enough and throw enough punches to stay in the fight. It will also present more of a physical challenge for Bernard at his age trying to keep this young guy off of him. We all know that Pascal can maul you pretty quickly if he gets the slightest advantage.
    Conclusion: my heart says BHop. My prediction is that Pascal wins by unanimous decision.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Zab has been mentally weak ever since. He crumbles in fights.

He has certainly looked better at 140 than 147, but he's yet to face a real elite fighter there. Floyd crushes him in a rematch.

Zab has great power, great speed and tons of skills. What stops him from being P4P is his mind.
    Zab has actually been mentally weak and crumbling in fights since he fought Kostya Tszyu. I haven't seen any noticeable change to attribute to Floyd.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I have a bad feeling about the Pascal vs BHop rematch for two reasons. First, the fight is still in Canada. You would think that after BHop got a draw in a fight that most people saw him winning, Pascal would man up and come to Vegas to defend the belt. Evidently, he would not do it and Bernard's only choice was to take a rematch in Canada where he got robbed the first time. I would assume that the judges have been carefully assessed and agreed upon by both sides so lets hope the hometown advantage is negated. The other problem i see for Bernard is that Pascal is not going to come out and fight by the same gameplan that he did the first time. I'm sure he knows in his heart of hearts, especially if he has watched tape of the fight, Bernard got the better of him. I don't see Pascal coming out and laying back the way he did. I see him coming out aggressive and pushing the fight, thus keeping Bernard on the defensive. While Bernard is a great backwards fighter, the question then becomes can Bernard stay busy enough and throw enough punches to stay in the fight. It will also present more of a physical challenge for Bernard at his age trying to keep this young guy off of him. We all know that Pascal can maul you pretty quickly if he gets the slightest advantage.
    Conclusion: my heart says BHop. My prediction is that Pascal wins by unanimous decision.
    One would hope that Pascal will change his game plan. I think coming forward favours Bhop though, who will counter-punch him all night. The problem for Pascal is that he can't combine coming forward with a decent workrate for 12 rounds.

Agreed about the fight been in Canada though. I guess there weren't the $$$ to take it elsewhere.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Aside from Bhop-Pascal, Roy Jones is fighting at cruiserweight tommorrow night against Lebenev (sp.)

This fight has flown under the radar. These days I when I watch Roy I just hope that he doesn't get hurt.

25. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

sonrisa salvaje (05-20-2011)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shit, Roy got KO'd bad in the last round. He was OK, but it looked brutal. God I hope Superman retires now: it's painful to watch a shadow of his former self getting beat up by guys he would have toyed with.

Whilst Calzaghe is undoubtedly the best 168 pounder ever, Roy was the best to fight at that weight; at 175, he has to be up there with the very best (I reckon he'd have given anyone fits at that weight.) I always wished he'd stayed at 160 for longer though - he could have been devastating there. But in terms of pure ability, he'd have to be on anyone's ATG list.

27. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-21-2011)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone else catch the Showtime (or was it HBO? it was late...lol) BHop/Pascal pre-fight interview/shouting match last night? BHop is in Pascal's head big time. Pascal came off like a scared, petulant child getting owned...at the end all he could say was "old man" over and over again...better watch out, old man might kick yer ass...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Old man did kick his ass

30. Thanked lesfunk for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-22-2011)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

rather impressively too I might add.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep. Bhop becomes the oldest man to win a title ever. Dropping to do push ups before the 7th was funny.

Bhop takes on Chad Dawson next (who beat Diaconnu last night): not sure how wins that one, but we'll see.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, huge props to BHop...that was an amazing performance. The bit with doing the pushups was classic. He just completely owned Pascal the vast majority of the night. I love when Max Kellerman asked Hopkins "Were you hurt in the 3rd round, and if so, how bad?" and Hopkins' instant response - "Man, I was hurt when I started training for this 9 weeks ago."
    The Dawson fight will be interesting indeed, can't really call that one either...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good call guys. Props to Binnie and DB for calling the BHop victory. I really love Bernard's new fighting style. Pascal was really cool about it and very gracious. I was glad to see that. It tripped me out when Bernard threw out Bute as a possible future opponent. I also cracked up, like you guys, on the pushups. At that point in time you just knew Bernard owned him. I also crack up everytime Bernard does his ring walk and that guy sings "My Way" with the lyrics about Bernard. That is not only hilarious but is so damn cool as well. Old man my ass.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Great job Bhop,made me smile.He had it won before he stepped in the ring,props to pascal,classy guy.A thought on Roy jones Jr though,you know for a fact he will not call it quits now.His skills have dropped to the point where he can not defend himself in a 10 round fight,and it has been a good 6 years since he has been "the man".Do you think ANY boxing commission will give him a license to fight?.If he does not quit soon he will end up a cautionary tail for boxers as he will be at serious risk of a bad injury.He is basicaly at the stage where he is used to add a name to other boxers records.Thoughts?

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    An interesting talking point

when a fighter is badly hurt,On who does the responsability to end the fight fall,The ref or the Trainer?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great job Bhop,made me smile.He had it won before he stepped in the ring,props to pascal,classy guy.A thought on Roy jones Jr though,you know for a fact he will not call it quits now.His skills have dropped to the point where he can not defend himself in a 10 round fight,and it has been a good 6 years since he has been "the man".Do you think ANY boxing commission will give him a license to fight?.If he does not quit soon he will end up a cautionary tail for boxers as he will be at serious risk of a bad injury.He is basicaly at the stage where he is used to add a name to other boxers records.Thoughts?
    I agree that he is a name that fighters can put on their resume at this point but i would question the value of getting a win over Roy these days. As for him getting a license, i think he will continue to get licensed simply because others continued to be licensed that don't need to be in the ring. Not saying it's right but examples are: Evander Holyfield, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Hector Camacho, Thomas Hearns.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

when a fighter is badly hurt,On who does the responsability to end the fight fall,The ref or the Trainer?
    I would put most of the responsibility on the referree because he is supposed to be impartial and doesn't have a stake in who wins. The corner should have equal responsibility but we know that certain corners are prideful and don't want to throw in the towel. AKA - their want to win overcomes their concern for their fighter which is really a sad thing.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I for one, would love to see Roy retire before he gets seriously hurt. Sadly, he's now a shadow of his former self. I think it was Harold Letterman that was comparing him to BHop, saying "The reason why Jones dominated Hopkins so badly in their original fight was Roy had all these natural gifts Bernard didn't, and BHop had so much more yet to learn in '93. And BECAUSE Roy was so gifted, he never HAD to be tough and stand there and trade with guys. Fast forward to today, Roy's physical gifts have deteriorated to the point where he CAN be hit now, and he never had to learn all the defensive tricks BHop did, which is how Bernard managed to dominate Roy as completely in their last fight as Roy had BHop in their original fight."

The Hopkins-Dawson fight is really intriguing now...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bhop would always have come up way short of a prime Roy. Shit, nost guys would.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Referee. The trainer wants his guy to win, and will be caught up in the moment. The Ref should be unbiased.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post

The Hopkins-Dawson fight is really intriguing now...
    It could be a snooze fest. I'm curious to know WHY BHop wants it - Dawson is a slick boxer with fast hands who deosn't come forward: precisely the kind of guy Bhop has avoided since Taylor. Bhop hasobviously seen something he can use there, and I'm guessing he saw it in the first Glen Johnson fight, when Chad looked shell-shocked.

Chad has the abilities - and size - to be the man at 175 (i don't think many of the 168lbs can match him on skill, either.) But he looked hesitant and ill at ease on saturday.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Mayweather-Pacquiao has to happen (he said again, as if a mantra)...

That's the problem with boxing! Still waiting on a fight that should have happened over 2 years ago! Horseshit!

Start watching MMA...thank you.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It could be a snooze fest. I'm curious to know WHY BHop wants it - Dawson is a slick boxer with fast hands who deosn't come forward: precisely the kind of guy Bhop has avoided since Taylor. Bhop hasobviously seen something he can use there, and I'm guessing he saw it in the first Glen Johnson fight, when Chad looked shell-shocked.

Chad has the abilities - and size - to be the man at 175 (i don't think many of the 168lbs can match him on skill, either.) But he looked hesitant and ill at ease on saturday.
    Agree, he looked hesitant - or bored - Saturday night. He's got way fast hands but didn't really use them completely to his advantage against a clearly slower opponent. I think you're right - if BHop WANTS that fight, he's seen something he thinks will give him the edge over yet another younger-stronger-faster fighter...

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post

Start watching MMA...thank you.
    Get out

Thread Information