Page 26 of 84 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394076 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Gald I didn't pay to watch that shit. I agree protect yourslef at all time.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Mayweather does look like a chump for yelling at Larry Merchant...but Ortiz is a chump too for butting like that ... so he kind of deserved that.

Love the "Holy Shit!" look on Joe Cortez' face...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Pacman-Marquez will be a GREAT fight, mefeels.

I thought Marquez won the first two (despite losing out both times on the cards), but they were undoubtedly close affairs. Given he's been down 4 times at Pacman's hands, we've got to expect him to touch the canvass again - especially given Pacman's power at 147. Maybe Manny will even stop him this time? That being said, JMM poses some big questions for Manny: excellent counter-punching, the ability to fight in the pocket and make Manny miss, and some lateral movement that gives Manny problems.

What no-one has mentioned so far, however, is JMM's power at the higher weights. He seems to have added pop in his punches: he KO's Casamayora, Juan Diaz and the last guy he fought with ONE SHOT. Maybe his power is the unknown factor here?

I'm expecting Manny to win because I think 147 suits him better - his speed has carried up the weights. But I don't think it will be a cake walk; and you can't count JMM out.

I also think that Margarritto-Cotto II could be another classic.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think JMM has a real shot at beating Pacquiao still. He's given him more problems than anyone else he's fought.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Funny, I've been looking at various commentaries regarding the 'controversial' end of the fight over the past couple of days - while most if not all agree it was a LEGAL (cheap) shot - a lot of people are noticing how the headbutt that proceeded/precipitated it is somehow getting swept under the rug now - NO WAY does Ortiz come out of this smelling like a rose, sorry - had he not done what he did, he never would have gotten dropped when he did. He STILL would've gotten dropped eventually, but not under a cloud of suspicion. Notice you don't see Ortiz yelling he was "robbed" and screaming for an immediate rematch, because HE knows it will end the same way (if not worse for him).

I think Mayweather fighting Berto would be a waste - if Ortiz was catching him repeatedly with shots, Floyd will destroy him too. I kinda want to see JMM kick Manny's ass (again) and actually get the credit for it this time, but hope if that happened it wouldn't ruin the chance of the Floyd-Pac fight we all REALLY want to see...I mean, not like there's any point in a Floyd-JMM rematch.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The reason Ortiz isn't screaming blue murder is because he quit. Sure, those shots from Floyd hurt him, but could have gotten up and had the minute between rounds to clear his head. He realized he was a loser and threw in the towel.

Don't think Pac-May is likely to happen any time soon. Mayweather-Khan is heating up................

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    The reason Ortiz isn't screaming blue murder is because he quit. Sure, those shots from Floyd hurt him, but could have gotten up and had the minute between rounds to clear his head. He realized he was a loser and threw in the towel.

Don't think Pac-May is likely to happen any time soon. Mayweather-Khan is heating up................
    Agree, he was a little too OK with the knockout, but like I said, I think he knows he deserved it. Also agree even if they'd deducted a point from Floyd for that, given him a minute to regain his composure and resumed, he would've gotten knocked the F out AGAIN sooner or later. It was inevitable the way Floyd was teeing off on him at will. LOVED seeing Floyd come out as aggressive as he did, though. Betcha Manny took notice of THAT if he was watching or has since seen it...

It'll be a shame if the May-Pac fight doesn't happen, it's what EVERYONE who likes boxing even a little bit wants to see (and it's back to getting hyped beyond belief again). However, a Floyd-Khan fight could be interesting...more of a match speed-wise, though I think Floyd is a hair faster - and WAY more accurate with his punches. Plus seems Floyd can take a punch better than Khan from what we've seen. Still, could be exciting to watch, but bet Floyd beats him if not by KO than by UD.

I maintain Floyd will mop the floor with a non-juiced Manny, too. IMO love him or hate him Floyd is currently THE best P4P fighter in the world...but anybody NOT think Manny is at least on HGH? Has anyone else in the history of the sport gained close to 50lbs that quickly, gotten seemingly faster and been able to knock out dudes normally walking around at that weight? I can't think of any...it doesn't seem humanly possible.

But I saw something this morning on the way to work suggesting Manny is agreeing to take the Olympic-style random testing (which'd mean training full-time in the US this time), so if that's true let's see what develops....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Seems that even Olympic boxing is fixed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15020658

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    I had no idea the level of corruption that exists in the International Olympic Committee. The stuff that went on leading up to the Utah winter games was unreal. Basically you bribe them with money, free scholarships, whores. Lot's of whores. Expensive dinners and booze. Then they tell you what you are going to do and treat you like shit.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Agree, he was a little too OK with the knockout, but like I said, I think he knows he deserved it. Also agree even if they'd deducted a point from Floyd for that, given him a minute to regain his composure and resumed, he would've gotten knocked the F out AGAIN sooner or later. It was inevitable the way Floyd was teeing off on him at will. LOVED seeing Floyd come out as aggressive as he did, though. Betcha Manny took notice of THAT if he was watching or has since seen it...

It'll be a shame if the May-Pac fight doesn't happen, it's what EVERYONE who likes boxing even a little bit wants to see (and it's back to getting hyped beyond belief again). However, a Floyd-Khan fight could be interesting...more of a match speed-wise, though I think Floyd is a hair faster - and WAY more accurate with his punches. Plus seems Floyd can take a punch better than Khan from what we've seen. Still, could be exciting to watch, but bet Floyd beats him if not by KO than by UD.

I maintain Floyd will mop the floor with a non-juiced Manny, too. IMO love him or hate him Floyd is currently THE best P4P fighter in the world...but anybody NOT think Manny is at least on HGH? Has anyone else in the history of the sport gained close to 50lbs that quickly, gotten seemingly faster and been able to knock out dudes normally walking around at that weight? I can't think of any...it doesn't seem humanly possible.

But I saw something this morning on the way to work suggesting Manny is agreeing to take the Olympic-style random testing (which'd mean training full-time in the US this time), so if that's true let's see what develops....
    I think Khan-Mayweather could be interesting. Despite the fact he's at 140, I actually think Khan is the bigger guy. He's probably have a height and reach advantage, and his jab is excellent - maybe that gives him a good chance.

The problem is that his defense is shokcing: Mayweather could land at will. Add into that we don't know what effect 7lbs extra will have on Khan - it might slow him down a bit.

In terms of speed, I'd say Mayweather has the edge - he certainly does in accuracy and punch picking. Manny probably has faster hands than Floyd; not sure about feet. But Manny swarms and tends to leap in, which is why JMM has so much success against him.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I had no idea the level of corruption that exists in the International Olympic Committee. The stuff that went on leading up to the Utah winter games was unreal. Basically you bribe them with money, free scholarships, whores. Lot's of whores. Expensive dinners and booze. Then they tell you what you are going to do and treat you like shit.
    We were told it had all been cleaned up since Salt Lake City though.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The reason boxing is so easy to fix is because you only really have to bribe one person (as opposed to team sports) to ensure that the result you want is secured. What surprises me about the amateur stuff is how far up the ladder it can go.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Interesting...Teddy Atlas theorizes Ortiz used the headbutt as a way to get OUT of the fight...

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="display:block;margin:0" width="416" height="427" data="http://www.kyte.tv/f/"><param name="movie" value="http://www.kyte.tv/f/" /><param name="flashVars" value="p=1755&c=465575&l=234368&s=1489878&tbid=283 " /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

He makes some valid points...oh, and I saw Vic A) Pimping his new underwear line (?) and B) NOW starting with the "Floyd's no champion/I want a rematch" bit on TMZ yesterday...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He doesn't want a rematch. He didn't even want to be in that fight after 3 rounds.

Ortiz should be thinking about Mosely - given Shane's age, he might be able to win that fight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Martinez mailed in a victory last night. He KO'd Darren Barker in the 11th.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He doesn't want a rematch. He didn't even want to be in that fight after 3 rounds.

Ortiz should be thinking about Mosely - given Shane's age, he might be able to win that fight.

Martinez mailed in a victory last night. He KO'd Darren Barker in the 11th.

Agree Ortiz knows deep down a rematch is gonna end the same if not worse for him. He's talking like he wants one right now, but he's also trying to pimp his underwear line.

The Martinez fight was interesting last night in that Sergio looked frustrated for most of the fight.He finally dropped Barker, but his style gave him trouble for a bit...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bhop - Chad Dawson tonight.

My head tells me that Dawson should win this: he's bigger, has a reach advantage, is younger, faster and has excellent footwork and combo punching.

But Bhop will win. I don't know why, and I don't know how, but he will. My guy feeling is he'll keep it on the inside and make it ugly.

Dawson is the 175lbs Zab Judah - all the tools but not the mental strength.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2012 @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

not familiar with either man??

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What an incredible joke of a fucking fight...

I'm seriously glad I don't pay for these fucking idiot pay-per-views...the undercard was good...but after the fiasco of a headlining bout...it all goes for naught.

Boxing needs a weekly or bi-weekly...or fuck...even a monthly deal with a major network, in which they have one card that has quality fights with known boxers. PPV is just fucking killing boxing...or already killed it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Boxing in general has become a joke. Has been a joke for a lot of years, other than the great fights that are all too few and far between anymore. It's no wonder the MMA stuff is blowing them away.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For those that didn't see the fucking fight...Hopkins threw an overhand right, and after, with Dawson leaning over, Hopkins sort of leaned over top of him. Dawson then proceeded to stand up, lifting Hopkins off his feet, then deposited onto the canvas, hurting Hopkins shoulder.

Hopkins said he'd fight, but the ref called it, giving Dawson a TKO...

so year...Dawson wins by bodyslamming Hopkins..fucking crazy...

especially after that fucking joke of a mayweather fight last month...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Boxing in general has become a joke. Has been a joke for a lot of years, other than the great fights that are all too few and far between anymore. It's no wonder the MMA stuff is blowing them away.
    Boxing is a joke because it's cast of characters are all jokes...starting with the heavyweight division that was absolutely destroyed in the mid-to-late 90's...

Still, the middle divisions that historically carried the mantle of showcase fights in the early 80's through today has turned into a fucking joke as well...with constant dodging and mishandling. At least the boxers schtick back in the day was just that...schtick...

now the schtick is fucking real...and completely takes away from the fight itself.

Not to mention the fact that the only way to watch any real fight is to fork over 60-80 bucks, and then you get the sham that was last nights main event...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

I agree Poji, but the MMA fights are PPV for the most part too. The difference is, the MMA championship fights are big money for the participants, but not anywhere near the take the boxers are getting. An MMA title fight might (might) get the combatants a million for the fight, but not thirty or fourty million the boxers are getting. They need to make those motherfuckers EARN their money for fighting. Making them earn their money, would force them to put on a good show. Guys like Ali, Frazier and Norton had to fight their asses off to maintain their lifestyle. Now a guy can get one big fight, and take the rest of his career off, and still maintain his lifestyle. He gets low on cash, he can sucker the promotors and the public into another huge payday. Cap the fuckers. Or cap their asses!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's much more fucking complicated...because boxing is fucking fucked up.

Imagine if boxing had essentially one major governing body (UFC) that dominates the rest. Now I know that there are several offshoot MMA organizations, but either UFC swallows most of them up, or just plain dominates by signing their fighters, or just being a better product. Boxing has what...WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, Ring...that's five different "major-ish" titles. Then you take the WBA, that essentially fucking split their title into three for the most part, with a Super Title holder (if anyone qualifies), a regular title holder (because that title is essentially vacated if you get the super title), and the fucking interim title. Yeah, no fucking clue. You combine that with the fact that there aren't any unified champs for the most part. Fuck, take the heavy's for a moment. You have the to Cuntco brothers with most of the titles...but they'll never fight each other, and there aren't any other even moderately good heavy's to beat them. So no unification ever, and no chance for these fucking cuntbags to even lose. Fucking David Haye...are you serious?

Imagine if there was one governing body (UFC), with a weekly or bi-weekly TV Show that everyone could see on a major network (FOX or CBS) that actually has boxers that are top of the line, AND a cable TV show that everyone can see (Spike and Versus) with top of the line fighters and a monthly Pay Per View that has continuity, flair, and championship fights with actual winners and losers...and doesn't cost 60 plus bucks for a shit fight. I can't remember the last UFC product that I didn't like in some form or fashion.

Combine that with champions that actually fucking fight two and sometimes three times a year. Look at Silva...at least two fights a year, and I know in his prime (like he isn't now) he was rolling out three fights a year, especially after he joined UFC initially. GSP as well...when Cuntco beat Haye, he hadn't fought in 10 months...and when was the last time that fucking whore fought in the US?..closing on four years? What about his mongoloid brother Vitaly? What...2009? So there hasn't been a fucking major heavyweight title fight in the United states in two-plus years?

Then, top it off with crooked judges, and bullshit handholding, and you have a product that isn't for shit anymore...

and last night's fight is just the icing on a shit cake...

25. Thanked POJO_Risin for this KICKASS post:

binnie (10-16-2011)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    For those that didn't see the fucking fight...Hopkins threw an overhand right, and after, with Dawson leaning over, Hopkins sort of leaned over top of him. Dawson then proceeded to stand up, lifting Hopkins off his feet, then deposited onto the canvas, hurting Hopkins shoulder.

Hopkins said he'd fight, but the ref called it, giving Dawson a TKO...

so year...Dawson wins by bodyslamming Hopkins..fucking crazy...

especially after that fucking joke of a mayweather fight last month...
    The fight last night should have been ruled a No Contest. Hopkins dislocated his shoulder for fucks sake, how can he lose his title for that?

Dawson fouled him, but it wasn't a DQ offence is my eyes. Just a bad night all round - I think Chad was getting frustrated a lost his temper, a it like Ortiz last month.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, last time I checked body-slamming someone was not a legal move in a boxing match...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Buying a ppv these days is as risky a proposition as betting on a football game. At least when you bet on a football game, you have half a chance that you WON'T lose your money.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A couple of good fights this weekend fellas:

Alfredo Angulo vs James Kirkland

Bute vs Glenn Johnson

I think Angulo takes Kirkland out in an all out war that could be a fight of the year candidate. I think Bute may knock Johnson out but probably will get a unanimous decision. I hope we see the good Glenn Johnson come out and give Bute a good scare.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    A couple of good fights this weekend fellas:

Alfredo Angulo vs James Kirkland

Bute vs Glenn Johnson

I think Angulo takes Kirkland out in an all out war that could be a fight of the year candidate. I think Bute may knock Johnson out but probably will get a unanimous decision. I hope we see the good Glenn Johnson come out and give Bute a good scare.
    Angulo is a pit bull, no doubt about that...hits like Margarito WITHOUT the need for plaster in his gloves, and has zero quit in him. If Kirkland can hang with him, agree it will be a WAR. I'd also like to see Johnson at LEAST scare Bute...not a fan of that guy after he got handed that win with the F*ed up delayed count when he was clearly hurt and wouldn't have made the count had it been done correctly. Johnson is no slouch (he DID knock out Roy Jones, let's recall), so it could be interesting.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

This was pretty good.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Angulo is a pit bull, no doubt about that...hits like Margarito WITHOUT the need for plaster in his gloves, and has zero quit in him. If Kirkland can hang with him, agree it will be a WAR. I'd also like to see Johnson at LEAST scare Bute...not a fan of that guy after he got handed that win with the F*ed up delayed count when he was clearly hurt and wouldn't have made the count had it been done correctly. Johnson is no slouch (he DID knock out Roy Jones, let's recall), so it could be interesting.
    Kirkland is a good test for Angulo, but I think they've got him at the right time - I expect a late TKO.

Bute is getting better and better. Johnson is a very, very good fighter who is a hard night's work for anyone. He could stop Bute, but I don't think he can win on points. My gut feeling, however, is that Bute has a point to prove and will win a cautious UD.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Didn't catch the Bute fight, but Angulo-Kirkland was a WAR - each knocked the other down in the 1st round, but Angulo tried to hard to finish Kirkland and punched himself out. Amazing the fight actually lasted 6 rounds the amount of shots they were throwing and taking...totally agree with the stoppage; Angulo was out on his feet, but would have kept trying to fight back until he was seriously injured.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bute-Johnson was a snooze fest. Bute looked good, but he might have been flattered by the fact that Johnson is now OLD.

Kirkland-Angulo was a great fight. Neither is a world beater, but they come to rumble.

Pacman-Marquez. The higher weight favours Manny, who I think might get a TKO over a valiant Marquez. Expect JMM to have his moments, but I just can't see him doing it. You never know, though, JMM has scored some one punch KOs at 135lbs +.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bute-Johnson was a snooze fest. Bute looked good, but he might have been flattered by the fact that Johnson is now OLD.

Kirkland-Angulo was a great fight. Neither is a world beater, but they come to rumble.

Pacman-Marquez. The higher weight favours Manny, who I think might get a TKO over a valiant Marquez. Expect JMM to have his moments, but I just can't see him doing it. You never know, though, JMM has scored some one punch KOs at 135lbs +.
    And JMM has buffed up significantly for this fight... I do tend to agree with you, Bin - but I think there's a slight chance he'll catch Manny with something (as he's proven he can do in the past) and things could get really interesting...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm looking for Manny to KO JMM by round 6. I think Pacman wants to get this monkey off his back in a bad way.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think he does, too. That's why they made the fight at a weight which suits Pacman. The logical weight was 140. But Roach/Pacman/Arum ain't taking any chances with JMM, who has arguably beaten Pacquaio twice.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, fuck me, that was a great fight. Really, really competive.

I have now watched it three times. I have absolutely NO FUCKING IDEA how they scored it for Pacman.

Pacman is an ATG. He has beaten some incredible guys - but what De La Hoya, Cotto, Margo, Morales and Barrera all had in comon is that they were all there to be hit. Against a boxer, he's in trouble.

JMM has been robbed twice now.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have now watched it three times. I have absolutely NO FUCKING IDEA how they scored it for Pacman.

Pacman is an ATG. He has beaten some incredible guys - but what De La Hoya, Cotto, Margo, Morales and Barrera all had in comon is that they were all there to be hit. Against a boxer, he's in trouble.

I can't wait to watch this. Sounds like more controversy. Binnie, i'm sure you scored the fight. How did you have it?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I too cannot WAIT to watch this now...I knew something was up the next morning when I read "JMM did NOT disappoiint" but that somehow PacMan had eeked out a slight win...AGAIN.

Thread Information