X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
    Of course, by the time Andre Ward gets done, he may fight all 4 and be undefeated. He has so much promise and talent it is ridiculous.
    I think he might pull an upset too because Froch, Kessler, Abraham and Taylor only look great in front of guys who come in straight lines, which Ward doesn't do.

I have a feeling that Ward's stamina might be his undoing too. The guy who wins this is going to have to be fit because Carl Froch is a freak of nature in that department - if Taylor hadn't faded in the last two rounds he would have had that belt in the bag.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by binnie
      Its very sad indeed, as he always came across as a stand up guy. Seems that mysterious circumstances are involved. Man, 37 is no age to go....

In other news Darchinyian lost! Didn't see it (as there is now NO channel which shows boxing in the UK) but it sounds like he got frustrated and fought the wrong fight.
      Yes, Darchinyian fought the wrong fight by coming out and trying to jump on him in the same style as he used to fight. It almost looked like a replay of the Donaire fight without they guy having the power to knock Vic out. Vic could not get out of the way of the right hand!
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
        Veteran
        • Jun 2005

I think he might pull an upset too because Froch, Kessler, Abraham and Taylor only look great in front of guys who come in straight lines, which Ward doesn't do.

I have a feeling that Ward's stamina might be his undoing too. The guy who wins this is going to have to be fit because Carl Froch is a freak of nature in that department - if Taylor hadn't faded in the last two rounds he would have had that belt in the bag.
        Froch is bad ass. But so is Kessler. These 2 guys are may favorites out of the 6 you mentioned. I don't see Taylor ever getting past his stamina problems. Ward has great talent but i prefer fighters that brawl and head hunt like Froch and Kessler.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I think everyone prefers the more 'action' guys, but I do think that Ward may present some problems to the power-pucnhers because he has lateral movement and angles that many of them won't have seen before.

The way to beat Froch is to stick and move, stick and move all night.

Kessler has to be the favourite, but I can see Jermain Taylor pulling an upset if the Froch KO wasn't too devastating psychologically. If he fights smart and keeps his concentration, that is. Abraham is a beast at 160, but will he be at 168? That's an unknown - he hits hard for sure (thus the reason Pavlik's camp is staying WELL away from him), but how will he fare against guys who are so much bigger and stronger (Kessler, Froch....). This is a great tournament because there are so many unknowns.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

R.I.P Vernon Forrest

Murdered this weekend during a car jacking. An excellent fighter, who gave us two classics with Mosely, and was robbed in the return against Mayorga.

This month: Arguello, Forrest, Gatti..............shit.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Two good fights this weekend:

Devon Alexander - Junior Witter for the WBC light-welterweight title.

Very tough to call this one. Devon is younger, faster and busier. He is also undefeaed (18-0). Given the trouble that Witter had with Tim Bradley's pressure when he lost his belt a couple of years ago, one could easily see him struggling here. Witter is eratic though, and blames his dismal performance that night to the illness of his father. He will have to be on his A game on Saturday is he wants to reclaim his title - whilst he is no spring-chicken (37) he can be a nightmare for any opponent, an effective switch hitter who is elusive and awkward. Should the REAL Witter turn up, expect him to frustrate Alexander to a UD.

Tim Bradley - Nate Campbell light welter-weight

Another pick 'em fight. Nate was the MAN at lightweight 18 months ago, and no one wanted to fight him. A great match up with Juan Gomez fell through when the latter couldn't make weight, only for Nate to do the same in his last bout at that weight (thus losing the title regardless of the outcome.) Nate has power, but wins his fights by beign stronger than his opponent. That, in all probability, won't happen at 140. Tim Bradley has good stamina and a high workrate - being considerably hunger, he may wear Nate down in the later rounds. Both guys chins have been tested before, and whilst neither is glass jawed by any means, they may taste the canvass at some point. I expect Bradley to sneak a close UD, but Nate will be in there to prove a point.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                Veteran
                • Jun 2005

Tough break for Nate Campbell Saturday night. The cut was caused by a butt and should have been a no decision. However, there was some truth to what Gary Shaw said about Campbell could have continued. I think Nate was suprised about Bradley's quickness and didn't want the possibly of going to the scorecards after 4 rounds if the fight was to be stopped by the cut. I was pissed the fight was over so quickly.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Yeah, it was something of a fiasco. A 'No Contest' was the correct ruilng but Nate didn't seem like he wanted to continue.

Witter quit after 8 too, Alexander was impressive.

Alexander-Bradley would be a good showdown

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

If you get a chance, watch this documentary on HBO called Assault in the Ring. It is about Louis Resto vs Billy Collins on the undercard of Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore. Awesome film about Trainer Panama Lewis and what he did to Resto's gloves which got him and Resto banned for life.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

I've heard a lot about this, so I'll keep my eye out for it. Why anyone would load gloves is beyond me................

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Yeah, that documentary is interesting, especially in light of Antonio Margueritto (sp)'s corner getting away with doing the same thing for several matches as it appears. That is SO fucking wrong. Someone could die from douchebaggery like that.
                        Originally posted by conmee
                        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                        Originally posted by eddie78
                        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Someone could die. As far as we know, Margarcheato only tried it against Mosely.

His career is certainly suspect, but it seems very unlikely to me that a trainer could get away with this fight after fight - that's a lot of commisioners, trainers (of opponents) and officials to not do their jobs right. Cintron and Cotto might try and ease their egos by suggesting Margo had loaded gloves against them, but it could just be that they got beaten by a tougher guy. The reason Shane did so well against Margo was because he didn't allow him to put his weight into his punches by constantly keeping him turning - Cotto made the mistake of backpeddling, therefore allowing Margo all of the forward momentum.

I guess we'll never know for sure.....

But loading gloves is dispicable - there should be much, much tougher pre-fight inspections.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Some big fights coming before the end of this year:

Mayweather - Marquez

Pacquiao - Cotto

David Haye - Nicoli Valuev

Vitali Klitschko - Chris Arreola

Any takers?

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2005

Some big fights coming before the end of this year:

Mayweather - Marquez

Pacquiao - Cotto

David Haye - Nicoli Valuev

Vitali Klitschko - Chris Arreola

Any takers?

My picks: Mayweather (as much as i hate it and would give anything to see
                              Marquez knock him out), Pacquiao, Valuev and Klitschko.
                              I think the Haye vs Valuev is the most interesting matchup. Valuev is the least ominous heavyweight and is slow enough to where Haye could actually win the fight. I just don't know how his chin is going to react. However, if Haye is a big underdog i will probably throw out $25 on him in case of an upset.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

I'd agree with those picks except Valuev. I think Haye will out work him. It will probably be a dull fight - although he's as big as a barn door Valuev is hard to hit because he rarely commits himself. That means things could be quite tentative.

A Haye victory is much better for boxing......

Comment

Working...