X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I expect Vitali to brutalize Arreola. Arreola is powerful, and a great combination puncher, but he's not approached anything near Vitali's level. Add to the fact that even in his best condition he's still flabby and I don't see how this goes past 8 rounds. This is the end for Arreola - I just hope he makes a fight of it rather than coming over the pond for a pay like most US heavys do these days.

Assuming that the layoff hasn't ruined him (which seems unlikely) Mayweather will beat Marquez. JMM is my favourite fighter, and I think he was robbed in the second Pacquiao fight, but he's going too far up in weight to be truly effective I think. Mayweather by wide UD is my inclination. I'll be surprised if there's a KO.

Pacquiao-Cotto is the really interesting one. Cotto will be much tougher than Hatton that's for sure, and I wonder if Pacquiao can live with his power round after round. That being said, whilst Cotto showed heart against Clottey, he's not had quite the same fire since Margo, and I can't help thinking that Manny's flurries of combinations are going to wear him down. Manny on points.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I'll say one thing: after watching the 24/7 series on the Mayweather-Marquez fight and seeing how Floyd's got a damaged rib - and betting Marquez took note- JMM's going to work the body like a freak...will likely break that rib for him, but I still agree with Binnie...unless the layoff killed him, Mayweather will win.
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Mayweather will win and then take on the winner of Cotto-Pacquiao. A good fight either way.

It's a shame that JMM isn't going to get another crack at Pacquiao, he's Manny's nemesis. But who knows, with a guy as good as JMM maybe he will spring an upset and outfox Mayweather - it's not entirely inconceivable, just incredibly unlikely given the size discrepancy, and that fact that FLoyd is probably the most naturally skilled fighter currently in their prime.

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I agree with you, JMM beat Manny last time out...
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• DlocRoth
            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
            I agree with you, JMM beat Manny last time out...

Haterz...both of you.

What's up, fellas?
            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Good to see you in here Dloc.

It will please you to know that I'm praying for Floyd to get beaten if though I know it won't happen

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Some reasonable fights this weakend:

Mikkel Kessler - Gusmyl Perdomo (WBA Supermiddleweight belt)

Kessler will use this guy as a punch bag in a warm up for the 'Super Six' tournament.

Tyson Fury - John Mcdermot (English heavyweight championship)

Doubt this will be shown in the US. There is a lot of hype around Fury, and this is his first test.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Kessler KO4 Gusylmo.

A very good work out for Kessler, who looked a little rusty, missing some of his shots in the first couple of rounds. That being said, he was in with a lefty who genuinely appeared to fancy his chances - Gusylmo didn't come to lie down, that's for sure. Once the first KD came at the end of the 3rd, however, it was only a matter of time: the right that effectively ended things at the beginning of the 4th was a real peach. Gusylmo is no world beater, but he was hardly a bum either, and the experience will have knocked off the cobwebs for Kessler.

The same can't be said for Andre Ward (Kessler opponent in the first bout of the 'Super Six' tournament) who fought a real tomato can in (can't even remember his first name) Pudwill. Ward dominated proceedings for the three rounds in which they last, and he looked impressive. But then again, considering his opponent has had only 25 fights in 15 years as a pro, and been outclassed every time he's stepped above the level of journeyman, you have to wonder if the 'warm up' will have done Ward any real favours.

Andre Ward will pose Kessler some problems, however, largely because of his switch-hitting stance and very adept footwork. He might be Kessler's toughest fight in the tournament, and victory for the 'Viking Warrior' is very far from being a formality.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

Appreciate the updates and breakdown on those fights Binnie. I didn't get to see them. Any thoughts on the Ghost's performance in capturing another world title a couple of weeks ago?
                    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

The Ghist has a chance to be a major Pound For Pound player in a few years, but it seems like his achievements are going largley unnoticed on the world stage. It seems that outside of hardcore fight fans, he is largley an unknown - definitely something which his promoters need to address

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Floyd Mayweather - Juan Manuel Marquez

The return of 'the Pretty Boy'. It's very hard to predict a fight when a guy is coming off a two year layoff. Personally, I find it hard to conceive that Floyd will have lost much (if anything) in that time, as he always keeps in self in shape and has been training for this fight for a long time. That being said, we always have to keep in mind the possibility that Floyd might not be Floyd anymore, allowing Marquez to capitalize on the ring rust. I don't think that will happen.

Floyd is the much bigger man. Marquez is a career super-feather (130lb) and has never fought about 135lbs. The impact of Floyd's size advantage will probably be negated by the fact that the Pretty Boy isn't an aggressive, physical fighter who will try and wrestle and wear his man down, but Floyd will still have height and reach advantages. Much is also being made about Mayweather's reported rib injury - the cynic in me thinks that this is a ploy. If a fighter genuinely had an injury, why would he want his opponent to know, let alone practically parade it on 24/7? Seems to me like Floyd's camp are trying to tempt Marquez into being the aggressor, and thus playing straight into the Mayweather bag on counter-punching tricks. Given that aggression is also not JMM's normal style, it could be a complete disaster.

JMM has power - his KO's of Casamayora and Juan Diaz were spectacular. He can undoubtedy hurt Mayweather, but the chances of him landing flush punches seems small given that he'll be the slower guy. I think JMM's achievments above 130 have been under-appreciated, Hatton aside, his level of opposition is much higher than Manny Pacquiaos. I also think that he'll have his moments in this fight. However, I expect the bigger, faster and fresher Mayweather to win a wide UD. I don't think Floyd will stop a guy whos been in as many wars as JMM has, but I expect him to put on a spectaulr performance to announce the return of his supremacy. A tentative start leads to a Mayweather UD.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Mikkel Kessler looked good in shaking off the ring rust against Gusyl Perdomo for the WBA Supermiddleweight beltt on Saturday. Rusty in the first two rounds against an opponent who really wanted to fight, Kessler soon ended things with a power shots in the 3rd and 4th.

His opponent in the opening bout of Showtime's 'Super Six' tournament, Andre Ward, looked even more devastating in his warm up. However, given that Ward was fighting a tomato can who seemed to want to survive rather than pose a real challenge, you have to question how beneficial the experience will have been to young Andre.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                            Floyd Mayweather - Juan Manuel Marquez

The return of 'the Pretty Boy'. It's very hard to predict a fight when a guy is coming off a two year layoff. Personally, I find it hard to conceive that Floyd will have lost much (if anything) in that time, as he always keeps in self in shape and has been training for this fight for a long time. That being said, we always have to keep in mind the possibility that Floyd might not be Floyd anymore, allowing Marquez to capitalize on the ring rust. I don't think that will happen.

Floyd is the much bigger man. Marquez is a career super-feather (130lb) and has never fought about 135lbs. The impact of Floyd's size advantage will probably be negated by the fact that the Pretty Boy isn't an aggressive, physical fighter who will try and wrestle and wear his man down, but Floyd will still have height and reach advantages. Much is also being made about Mayweather's reported rib injury - the cynic in me thinks that this is a ploy. If a fighter genuinely had an injury, why would he want his opponent to know, let alone practically parade it on 24/7? Seems to me like Floyd's camp are trying to tempt Marquez into being the aggressor, and thus playing straight into the Mayweather bag on counter-punching tricks. Given that aggression is also not JMM's normal style, it could be a complete disaster.

JMM has power - his KO's of Casamayora and Juan Diaz were spectacular. He can undoubtedy hurt Mayweather, but the chances of him landing flush punches seems small given that he'll be the slower guy. I think JMM's achievments above 130 have been under-appreciated, Hatton aside, his level of opposition is much higher than Manny Pacquiaos. I also think that he'll have his moments in this fight. However, I expect the bigger, faster and fresher Mayweather to win a wide UD. I don't think Floyd will stop a guy whos been in as many wars as JMM has, but I expect him to put on a spectaulr performance to announce the return of his supremacy. A tentative start leads to a Mayweather UD.
                            My prediction is a close decision, possibly majority in the favor of Mayweather with a fight resembling the De Lahoya/ Mayweather fight. Despite Floyd being the heavier fighter, i cannot see him standing in the pocket and throwing with JMM although i think it would be the thing to do. The reason i think he should throw in the pocket is because of this: if it is Floyd's ultimate goal to fight Manny, Manny's pressure is going to make Floyd have to fight in the pocket at some point if not a lot of the time. Thus, Floyd may as well go ahead and do it in this fight as a training tool for Manny. Since it don't think he will, JMM is going to chase and be tied up a lot when he gets in close to Floyd. I think the size difference will come into play here with the heaviness of Floyd leaning and wrestling with JMM. I don't know that this will affect JMM's energy in the way of making it deep into the fight because JMM's stamina is unreal. What it could do, however, is take a lot of the snap off of JMM's punches the deeper it goes. In the end, i think JMM will land enough heavy punches, and Floyd will do enough running, to allow JMM to win some rounds creating an interesting score at the end. It will be close enough, as was the Oscar fight, to make some people question as to whether it was a draw but the judges will see a 1-2 round Floyd edge. You cannot overlook the ace in the hole for JMM: his heart and will vs the continual overconfidence of Floyd. This is what my brain says. I hope with my heart that JMM knocks Floyd's head about three rows back.
                            Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 09-18-2009, 12:07 PM.
                            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Well, JMM landed around three clean shots all night. lol!

It was comfortable seeing my favourite fighter get taken to the clinic, but Floyd was mezmerizingly good on Saturday. I'm guessing Mosely will be next.........

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Chris John - Rocky Jurez II was a much more entertaining fight than the headliner. Pretty much the same as last time - John clocked up the points in the early half of the fight, and Jurez wore him down in the latter stages. In the dying seconds on the twelth, Jurez almost stopped the unbeaten John, who clung on to become the deserved winner of a close contest. On this performane however, Chris John is a champion waiting to be de-throned.

Comment

Working...