12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Sturm retains WBA middleweight belt

June 30, 2007

STUTTGART, GERMANY (TICKER)
    -- Felix Sturm put an end to Noe Tulio Gonzalez Alcoba's dream of an undefeated career.

Sturm retained his WBA middleweight title Saturday, recording a unanimous decision over the previously unbeaten Alcoba at the Porsche Arena.

Entering with seven knockouts in his first 14 professional fights - all victories - Alcoba (14-1) was unable to outbox the German champion in his first shot at a major championship. The 28-year-old native of Uruguay lost each of the three judges' scorecards - 116-112, 120-108 and 118-110.

It was the first successful defense for Sturm (28-2, 12 KOs) in his second term as the WBA champion. The 28-year-old won the belt on April 28 from Javier Castillejo, who scored a technical knockout of Sturm on July 15, 2006 to end his first stint with the crown.

Sturm next is scheduled to make a mandatory defense of the belt against Randy Griffin on a date yet to be determined.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
    Sturm vs Jermain Taylor would be a good fight, IMO...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I would like to see Strum fight Taylor as well.

My biggest bitch about boxing is they need to shitcan all of these federations and belts.

We need unification. I can see WBA and the WBC, and not too crazy about that.

This is why I like fights about Calzaghe and Kessler, at least fights like that are a step in the right direction.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is why I like fights about Calzaghe and Kessler, at least fights like that are a step in the right direction.
    Me too. The reason that boxing isn't as populsr anymore is becuase the top guys very rarely fight one another.

If Kessler-Calzaghe happens it will be good for the sport.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From newsday.com

It's best not to fight Holyfield on boxing
    July 5, 2007

Logic hasn't worked, nor have legislation, ridicule and widespread apathy for the sport he once dominated and the division he once ruled.

There seems to be only one way left to save Evander Holyfield from himself: Give him what he wants.

Conventional wisdom used to say that to grant Holyfield yet another shot at the heavyweight title he already has held four times would be the equivalent of state-sanctioned murder.

Now it looks more like a public service.

Give Holyfield what he wants and maybe he'll go away once and for all.

'It's very simple," he said yesterday from his home in Atlanta, where he was entertaining 7,000 underprivileged kids at his annual Fourth of July barbecue. 'Just let me do what I want to do, because I'm going to do it anyway."

He might even go away happy. Absurd as it may seem, he could very well win the damned thing again, even at 44 years old and precisely a decade removed from the last time he really looked like a fearsome fighting machine.

Holyfield won another fight Saturday, to the delight of himself and the consternation of those who would try to protect him from same, and now more than ever, there seems to be no stopping this impossibly stubborn, incredibly gifted man.

The opponent was only Lou Savarese, who wasn't much at 25 and is a lot less now at 41. He was easy pickings for Holyfield, but that is not the point. In the ninth round of the fight, Holyfield's 44-year-old body contrived to deliver a left hook as short as Dick Cheney's temper. Down went Savarese.

Holyfield hasn't thrown a punch like that in 10 years, probably, and no heavyweight currently working has thrown one remotely like it in his entire career. It didn't end the fight - Savarese gamely climbed back up and survived to lose a lopsided 10-round decision - but it should at least end the whispers that there is something wrong, physically or neurologically, with Evander Holyfield.

And believe me, if Holyfield lands that same left hook on any of the four men currently calling themselves "champ" - even Wladimir Klitschko, the generally recognized best of the lot - the same thing will happen.

There simply is no more reason to deny Holyfield his due. He has won four straight fights, over opposition ranging from poor to mediocre, since the New York State Athletic Commission, amid great fanfare, pulled his license for the crime of being outboxed by Larry Donald at Madison Square Garden. (Incidentally, NYSAC lifted that suspension last year, quieter than they imposed it.)

Believe it or not, those credentials match up favorably with just about any heavyweight currently in line for a title shot, including Lamon Brewster, who is fighting Klitschko this Saturday night in Koln, Germany. They certainly overmatch those of Ray Austin, Klitschko's last challenger, a career sparring partner who couldn't last two rounds, or Calvin Brock, the so-called "Boxing Banker," who cashed a paycheck against Klitschko at the Garden in November.

You may think that says bad things about boxing, but really, it says great things about Holyfield. His persistence has paid off, as has surgery on his chronically injured left shoulder, which he said all along was at the root of his problems the past few years. Maybe he was telling us the truth.

Right now, the names of the heavyweight champions are Klitschko, Ibragimov, Chagaev and Maskaev, and you don't have to still be fighting the Cold War to know that is not helping the popularity of the sport.

Holyfield versus any of them would immediately put heavyweight boxing back in the game, and Holyfield-Klitschko probably is the biggest fight boxing can make right now. (Honestly, which would you rather see, that or Floyd Mayweather-Ricky Hatton?)

Yeah, he's too old, and no, no one with that much money should be fighting anymore, but you know what? He's determined to do it, he has the legal right to do it and now he has even shown he has the ability to do it.

And besides, he is seven months younger than George Foreman was when he finally was granted, after much hand-wringing, a title shot against the 20-years-younger Michael Moorer. And we all know how that turned out.

There's only one thing left to do, and it is the right thing: Let Evander Holyfield do what he wants. Fight for the title one more time.

Besides, it looks like the only sure way we'll ever get him to stop.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brewster is confident.

From indystar.com

COLOGNE, Germany -- Considering the usual hype before a heavyweight title fight, Wladimir Klitschko and Lamon Brewster talked about their rematch in measured tones, showing plenty of respect for each other.

Klitschko will defend his International Boxing Federation title Saturday at Cologne Arena.
    The topic of poisoning was brushed off by Klitschko, who raised suspicions of being poisoned by Brewster's camp after the Ukrainian lost to him on a technical knockout in their first fight in April 2004.
    "I am not thinking of the past, there are no parallels between the two fights," Klitschko said at Monday's news conference.
    Brewster, an Indianapolis native, didn't want to dwell on the subject.
    "Between the two of us, he knows and I know that I didn't poison him," Brewster said. "I was the better fighter that night."
    Brewster was saved by the bell after being knocked down in the fourth round of that fight, then floored Klitschko twice in the fifth to stop the fight.
    Klitschko (48-3 with 43 knockouts) won the IBF title by stopping Chris Byrd in April 2006. He has defeated Calvin Brock and Ray Austin in his past two defenses.
    Brewster (33-3, 29 KOs) upset Klitschko in Las Vegas in 2004, capturing the World Boxing Organization title. The American defended it three times, beating Kali Meehan, Andrew Golota and Luan Krasniqi, but lost in April 2006 on a unanimous decision to Sergei Liakhovich.
    "I don't have many words to say today. I want to thank Wladimir for accepting this challenge. Not many fighters want to fight me," Brewster said.
    Both boxers said they were in great shape.
    "I've waited more than three years for this fight to happen," Klitschko said.
    Emanuel Steward, Klitschko's trainer, said his boxer was in his "prime."
    "We are not underestimating Brewster," Steward said. "He is an old-school fighter. He is a serious fighter, he punches with both hands. These are the two best punchers in the heavyweight division. We'll have to be careful until the end. But Wladimir is in his prime and no fighter can beat him."
    Brewster's trainer, James "Buddy" McGirt, said Klitschko showed he was a "true champion" by taking on Brewster.
    "My prediction is that Brewster will regain the title," McGirt said. "These are the two best fighters in the world and we are going home with the championship."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Klitschko wins by stopage, rounds 8-10.

That's how I see it....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roy Jones talks about boxing needing to have the best guys fighting each other (obviously forgetting his light-heavyweight career!).

From newsday

Robert Cassidy
    BOXING

Toe-to-toe with Roy Jones Jr.

Roy Jones Jr., the former four-division champion, returns to the ring July 14 against Anthony Hanshaw (21-0). Jones (50-4) spoke to Newsday about various types of fighting - boxing, mixed martial arts and dog fighting.

Q. Roy, at the age of 38 why still fight? You've accomplished so much, what more can you do?

A. I just want to go back to back to the top of the pound-for-pound class one more time and I'll be happy. I'll get the belts. I'll be satisfied, then I'm gone.

Q. Who in your weight range can you beat to put you back at the top, someone like Bernard Hopkins?

A. No. I'm not thinking about him. I want Glenn Johnson.

Q. Who do you feel is at the top of the pound-for-pound list right now?

A. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Q. What about his fight with Oscar de la Hoya? People felt that was the fight to save boxing. Were you disappointed in the fight?

A. It was okay. It was an average fight. It wasn't the major fight that we expected it to be. But he did his job. They expected that explosion and that explosion never happened. I didn't go to the fight, I didn't watch the fight because I knew what was going to happen. I was expecting what happened to happen. You can never tell. Whoever thought the first Arturo Gatti-Micky Ward fight was going to turn out to be what it was.

Q. What are your thoughts on UFC?

A. I watch it all the time. They have the best fighters fighting the best fighters and that's what boxing needs. You never can tell what will happen in a fight. Look at the last [Chuck] Liddell fight. Bam, 10 seconds it was over. They got that explosion they were waiting for. Boxing didn't get the same explosion out of Mayweather-De La Hoya.

Q. Do you think UFC will put boxing out of business?

A. No I don't think it will. UFC is a great thing, but boxing has to get on its game. UFC is the best fighting the best and that what boxing has to do. If you are an ultimate fighter, you are going to fight someone who is going to fight. In UFC, if you lose to a good fighter, you lost, you still know you are good fighter, and you come back the next day and fight again. In boxing, if you lose, that's it. You are done. I lose a few fights they want to tell me I'm washed up and I don't have it no more. The last fight I fought a worthy contender, but that wasn't good enough.

Q. Who would win between you and a UFC fighter?

A. It all depends on who gets there first. Now, I can't get on the ground and start wresting because I know nothing about that. But if I hit him before he gets to the ground, he's not going to get up and have the chance to wrestle.

Q. What do you think about Michael Vick and the dog-fighting allegations that are swirling around him?

A. People tend to talk so hard against people. They make it such a bad thing, like dog fighting is worse than killing someone. I'm not a dog fighter. I've never been to a dog fight. But just because they have the animals doesn't mean they are fighting the animals. Michael Vick doesn't have that kind of time to train and raise dogs... I like bulldogs and I like their mentally. They are making this so bad, but really two dogs fighting can happen in anyone's backyard or on the street. It happened in my backyard, two of my dogs fought and one died. I was devastated because I love dogs. Fighting animals don't necessarily get mistreated. They get treated just the way I get treated. They train me, they feed me; if I lose, I lose, and when I get in the ring, there is that chance I could get killed.

Q. You've always raised animals, haven't you?

A. I've raised dogs and I've raised game chickens, but I don't raise them for fighting. I just love them, I love their demeanor. But I can't stand to see them hurt. It used to be that you could drive to Louisiana and fight chickens. But they passed a law and that's illegal now.

Q. What do you know about your opponent Anthony Hanshaw?

A. I know he's undefeated, that's all I need to know. He's a good, well-rounded boxer. This is a challenge for me.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wonder why he doesn't want to fight Bernard Hopkins?

Although he's living in a dream land if he thinks he's ever going to top the pound for pound prize again, he makes so good points in that article....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Glen Johnson madde him look real bad, knocking him out in a more dominating fashion than Tarver did. Johnson went on to be fighter of the year beating the two of them.

Johnson has done little since.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Johnson was in a great fight with Clinton Woods and lost a close decision (Woods is a fairly decent fighter these days).

Maybe Roy thinks he can beat him now...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Condes captures IBF strawweight title

July 7, 2007

JAKARTA, INDONESIA (TICKER)
    -- Muhammad Rachman's unbeaten streak is over. More importantly, so is his reign as IBF strawweight champion.

Entering without a loss in 41 consecutive bouts, Rachman was knocked down twice as Florante Condes posted a split-decision victory to capture the strawweight title Saturday at the Indoor Tennis Stadium.

Since being beaten on points by Meky Mbatu on April 30, 1998, Rachman had gone 38-0-3, taking the IBF belt from Daniel Reyes along the way. The 35-year-old defended the title three times before running into Condes, who also entered the fight with a modest winning streak of nine.

The pair engaged in a fierce battle, with Rachman (61-6-5) hitting the canvas in both the third and 10th rounds. That proved to be all the 27-year-old Condes (22-3-1, 20 KOs) needed, as he received a favorable 114-112 score on two of the judges' scorecards.

Fighting in his native country, Rachman was given a 117-113 advantage by the third judge. But it was not enough to prevent Condes from winning the first major title of his career.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just watched Vladimir Klitschko dominate Brewster.

Won every round, McGirt simply stopped the fight after round 6 because Brewster wasn't doing anything and COULDN'T do anything.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

July 8, 2007

BRIDGEPORT, CONNECTICUT (TICKER) -- Travis Simms had the home crowd behind him. But it was not enough to keep him unbeaten.

Joachim Alcine scored a unanimous decision over Simms to win the WBA light middleweight title Saturday night at the Harbour Yard Arena.

A native of Norwalk, Simms (25-1) was ineffective against Alcine in a bout that saw both fighters have points deducted for excessive clinching. The 36-year-old southpaw, who was making his third defense of the WBA belt since winning it from Alejandro Garcia on December 13, 2003, was knocked off-balance in the ninth and ruled to be down when his glove touched the canvas.

"I hurt my left hand in the third round and the knockdown they called on me was a slip," Simms said. "I thought I did enough to win the fight, but the judges saw it another way. I had an off-night. Hopefully, I can redeem myself in a rematch."

Alcine (29-0, 18 KOs) received scores of 114-111, 115-110 and 116-109 en route to his first major championship. It was the first bout in the United States since May 2003 for the 31-year-old Haitian, whose previous 12 fights took place in Canada.

"It wasn't the best of me that people saw tonight because of Simms' awkwardness," Alcine said. "I felt after the first few rounds, I was behind, so I picked it up as the rounds went on. Now I know I'm good enough to fight anyone in the division."

Another champion lost his crown Saturday as IBF flyweight titleholder Vic Darchinyan was knocked out by Nonito Donaire in the fifth round of their bout.

Previously unbeaten, Darchinyan (28-1) was outboxed from the start and was tagged by a left hook 38 seconds into the fifth that left him on the mat for several minutes. The 31-year-old Armenian southpaw was making his seventh title defense.

"I'm very disappointed," Darchinyan said. "He caught me with a very good shot. I'll be back. I definitely want a rematch. I was trying to load up too much."

Donaire (18-1, 11 KOs) won for the 17th consecutive time. With the victory, the 24-year-old native of the Philippines avenged the loss of his brother Glenn, who had his jaw broken by Darchinyan in their bout last October.

"I came here as the underdog," Donaire said. "Nobody believed in me, but I did it. ... I think the key for me in tonight's fight was, every time Darchinyan threw and landed, I punched back, and tha got him thinking. It took the bully out of him."

Luis Alberto Perez was the third new champion crowned as he scored a seventh-round knockout of Genaro Garcia for the vacant IBF bantamweight belt.

Vying for his 10th straight win, Perez (25-1, 16 KOs) knocked down Garcia in the second before ending the bout with a left hook 39 seconds into the seventh. The 29-year-old Nicaraguan southpaw has not lost since falling to Vernie Torres on September 7, 2000.

"Garcia was very strong," Perez said. "He gave me an excellent challenge. I think I won all the rounds. From the beginning, I could tell I had a reach advantage, so I used it."

The loss was the second in a row for the 29-year-old Garcia (35-6), who also dropped a bout for the WBC bantamweight title against Hozumi Hasegawa on November 13.

"(Perez) had a lot of stamina," Garcia said. "That made it very difficult for me. Perez made the most of his reach advantage. I did the best I could."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...mmsalcine&prov =st&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Report: Taylor to move up to super middleweight

July 10, 2007

LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS (TICKER) -- Jermain Taylor will reportedly move up from middleweight to super middleweight following his proposed fight with No. 1 contender Kelly Pavlik according to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's web site.

Taylor, who is very close to signing a deal to fight Pavlik at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on September 29, said that the WBC and WBO title fight will be his last as a middleweight, which has a limit of 160 pounds.

Taylor, even if he makes his fifth consecutive successful title defense against Pavlik, will vacate his championship belts and begin a new title quest in the 168-pound super middleweight division, according to the report.

A change in class would force Taylor to vacate his titles.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Calzaghe signs up for Kessler superfight

July 11, 2007

LONDON (Ticker)
    - Joe Calzaghe's superfight against Mikkel Kessler will take place on November 3, it was announced Wednesday.

WBO super-middleweight champion Calzaghe will meet the Dane, who holds the WBA and WBC versions of the belt, at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, in a unification clash between the two unbeaten fighters.

"This is the biggest fight in the world at the moment," promoter Frank Warren said. "Both Joe and Mikkel are at the top of their game."

The 35-year-old Calzaghe, who sealed his reputation as one of the best fighters in the world with a 12-round rout of Jeff Lacy in March last year, had hoped to meet Jermain Taylor next.

The American middleweight king priced himself out a fight, forcing Calzaghe to look elsewhere.

Kessler is a lucrative alternative. The 28-year-old has an impressive 39 victories on his record, 29 coming inside the distance.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Calzaghe signs up for Kessler superfight

July 11, 2007

LONDON (Ticker)
    - Joe Calzaghe's superfight against Mikkel Kessler will take place on November 3, it was announced Wednesday.

WBO super-middleweight champion Calzaghe will meet the Dane, who holds the WBA and WBC versions of the belt, at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, in a unification clash between the two unbeaten fighters.

"This is the biggest fight in the world at the moment," promoter Frank Warren said. "Both Joe and Mikkel are at the top of their game."

The 35-year-old Calzaghe, who sealed his reputation as one of the best fighters in the world with a 12-round rout of Jeff Lacy in March last year, had hoped to meet Jermain Taylor next.

The American middleweight king priced himself out a fight, forcing Calzaghe to look elsewhere.

Kessler is a lucrative alternative. The 28-year-old has an impressive 39 victories on his record, 29 coming inside the distance.

I can't wait for this fight, it should be a stormer and is good for the sport.

I saw the Klitscho-Brewster fight too, Brewster might as well have not shown up, he did nothing worthwhile.

The heavyweights at the moment are pityful. Holyfield may actually win one of the "world" belts given the level of opposition out there...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Luevano clinches WBO featherweight title

AFP

July 14, 2007

LONDON (AFP) - America's Steven Luevano sent England's Nicky Cook to the canvas five times on the way to winning the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) featherweight title at the O2 Arena in London on Saturday.

Luevano claimed the vacant title with a dominant display against Cook, who first visited the canvas in the second round after being caught by a left to the temple.

That was Cook's first knockdown in his professional career and he struggled to then claw his way back into contention against 26-year-old Luevano.

Cook was dropped twice by lefts to the body in the ninth round and a right to the head put him down again at the end of the tenth.

But 29 seconds into the 11th and another left to the body left him bent over on his knees in agony as the referee counted him out for the first defeat of his career.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Alfonso Gomez is beating Arturo Gatti right now, practically shutting him out after 6 rounds.

Gatti is through and he talks about bigger fights yet.

Waiting on Margarito-Williams, that should be exciting.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As I posted that ... Gomez KOs Gatti ...

Retire Gatti ... while you still have some dignity.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Paul Williams wins a unanimous decision over Margarito, fairly easy although Margarito came on later, he simply did not do enough.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Gatti says he's done......

Actually sounds like an intelligent decision.

He says he can't compete at 147, and can't make weight at 140, so he's callin it....

Bravo, Thunder........

Cuz wow..you got your ass kicked tonight.

And WIlliams?

Shit...he ran out of gas, but that's what happens when you throw 1,000+ punches....

He won hands down.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

All in all, a nice night of the sweet science!

That is...if someone will PLEASE strangle all of the life out of Larry Merchant. That windbag is worthless......

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not good that Gatti got beaten by an average fighter like Gomez (lots of heart, not too many skills). It's always a shame when the greats go on too long.

I'm very surprised that Magarito got beaten, truly I am. Was he completely dominated?

I saw Luevano-Cook. Fucking great fight to watch, gives me some hope in the sport.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hopkind- Wright is very, very soon.

I can't imagine that there will be much in the way of fire works, but it could be an interesting fight.

How do you guys see it going? Hopkins is the favourite, but I wonder if Wright will be too negative to really allow him to dominate?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Margarito was dominated over the first 8 rounds. He came on some after that because like Dloc said, he started to run out of gas.

He did however win the 12th round on all cards.

Margarito bitching about getting robbed is BS.

That fight goes the old route of the 15 rounders back in the day, and he may have pulled it out.

Wright-Hopkins is a toss-up for me. I like Hopkins.

Cintron looked awesome and his only loss is to Margarito, I'd like to see a rematch there.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cheers for getting back to me on that, sounds like I missed a good fight.

I'm sure that Maragarito will be back!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Report: Taylor to move up to super middleweight

July 10, 2007

LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS (TICKER) -- Jermain Taylor will reportedly move up from middleweight to super middleweight following his proposed fight with No. 1 contender Kelly Pavlik according to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's web site.

Taylor, who is very close to signing a deal to fight Pavlik at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on September 29, said that the WBC and WBO title fight will be his last as a middleweight, which has a limit of 160 pounds.

Taylor, even if he makes his fifth consecutive successful title defense against Pavlik, will vacate his championship belts and begin a new title quest in the 168-pound super middleweight division, according to the report.

A change in class would force Taylor to vacate his titles.
    This is interesting.

Is he going to take on the winner of Calzaghe-Kessler? I think either of those two would embarrass Taylor to be honest, I just can't see him living with those two.

Who has the IBF belt at 168lbs? Maybe Taylor could fight for that first, get used to the weight. Anthony Mundine would also be a good first fight for him at that weight....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Calzaghe is confident....(from The Independent online)

Boxing: Calzaghe wary of Kessler challenge
    By Duncan Bech
    Published: 18 July 2007
    Joe Calzaghe is braced for the greatest challenge of his career when he meets Mikkel Kessler in a fight promoter Frank Warren has billed as the biggest in the world. Seventy thousand tickets have been made available for the showdown at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, on 3 November with the gate receipts alone expected to generate £7m.

Calzaghe will put his WBO belt on the line while Kessler's WBC and WBA titles are at stake as the unbeaten super-middleweight rivals clash to determine who rules the division. High-profile Americans Jermain Taylor and Bernard Hopkins had been mooted as possible opponents, but Calzaghe insists heavily-tattooed Dane Kessler is the most dangerous adversary.

And while bookmakers have made Calzaghe 1-2 favourite - the 35-year-old Welshman is fighting on home soil - he knows he will have to reproduce his brilliant display against Jeff Lacy if he is to triumph.

"On paper Mikkel is excellent. His record is 39-0 and he has two world titles. It's the biggest and only fight out there for me," he said. "Maybe it's the most difficult fight too. Jermain Taylor is a middleweight while Bernard Hopkins is 42 and just living on his name. But Kessler is at his peak. Just like Jeff Lacy he's young, hungry and wants to be the best in the world.

"I think he's a better fighter than Lacy - he's taller, bigger and stronger. I'm 35 and he'll be hoping I'm slipping - well we'll see about that on 3 November.

"There's no way I'm going to lose the fight because I'll be in the best shape of my life. When I'm at my best no one can beat me."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And so is Kessler (from the BBC)

Kessler calls Calzaghe a slapper

Calzaghe v Kessler could attract a world record crowd
    Mikkel Kessler has built the heat ahead of his 3 November super middleweight unification bout with Joe Calzaghe by claiming that the Welshman "slaps".
    "Calzaghe's an awkward fighter who throws a lot of punches but slaps a lot, too," he told BBC Sport Wales.

The accusation has been frequently thrown at Calzaghe and helped motivate him to two of his best performances, against Byron Mitchell and Jeff Lacy.

The bout could attract a record crowd, with over 17,000 tickets already sold.

606: DEBATE
    The fight is 60-40 in favour of Calzaghe

AFCforever

The world record attendance for an indoor boxing show is 63,350, for Muhammad Ali's rematch with Leon Spinks at the New Orleans Superdome in 1978.

But promoter Frank Warren hopes to attract up to 70,000 to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, which will have its sliding roof closed.

Dane Kessler, 28, will be putting his WBA and WBC titles on the line, along with a perfect 39-0 (29 KOs) record.

But Calzaghe, 35, will be making his 21st defence of the WBO title that he has held for 10 years, making him the world's longest reigning world champion with a record of 43-0 (32 KOs).

"Kessler is the biggest and most difficult fight out there for me," said Calzaghe.

"He's at his peak. Just like Jeff Lacy he's young, hungry and wants to be the best in the world.

"I think he's a better fighter than Lacy - he's taller, bigger and stronger. But there's no way I'm going to lose the fight because I'll be in the best shape of my life and when I'm at my best no one can beat me.

"His style suits me. He's a very solid European-style fighter - quite upright and someone who comes in straight lines.

"At this stage of my career it's all about my legacy. I want to be recognised as maybe the greatest super middleweight there has been."

Despite his comments over Calzaghe's punching style, Kessler says he has respect for the Welshman and will relish the biggest test of his career.

"I've been waiting all my life for this, a big fight on US television against a great champion," Kessler told BBC Radio Wales' Back Page programme.

"They've been talking about this fight in Denmark for years.

"I don't want to reveal my tactics, but I'll keep my distance as usual. I'm a more intelligent fighter than Calzaghe.

"Lacy was too slow to take him on, but I know that I'm number one in the division and I'm going to kick his ass."

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really like Kessler in this one and agree with his "slapper" tag, but only in the sense of his power isn't what Kessler's is.

I would like to see Kessler reverse the roles and blitz him. If you back Calzaghe up, it neutralizes his speed. Kessler being younger, his liability will be experience. Calzaghe keeps talking about Lacy prior to this fight and this one I believe will be be much more difficult.

I wish I could predict a KO, but it won't happen I don't think. I think if Calzaghe gets a taste of power, he'll run and survive.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really like Kessler in this one and agree with his "slapper" tag, but only in the sense of his power isn't what Kessler's is.

I would like to see Kessler reverse the roles and blitz him. If you back Calzaghe up, it neutralizes his speed. Kessler being younger, his liability will be experience. Calzaghe keeps talking about Lacy prior to this fight and this one I believe will be be much more difficult.

I wish I could predict a KO, but it won't happen I don't think. I think if Calzaghe gets a taste of power, he'll run and survive.
    In his early days Calzaghe had major power, I mean major. He was the only guy ever to floor Chris Eubank (former Super-Middleweight champ with 18 or so defences). But his hands are brittle, so he has changed his style to utilize his speed.

However, one thing about Calzaghe is that he likes to fight, to brawl, and that's been his weakness. In a lot of his fights he could have won easily be using his speed and foot-work, but he opted rather to stand and trade because he likes the hard man stuff. If Frank Warren's organization hadn't taken all the clips off youtube, I'd post the fights to show you.

I'm not too sure how this fight will go, and I don't think it's easy to pick a winner. I've never seen anyone back Calzaghe up, and if Kessler is going to try and do that he's going to get hit half a dozen times every time he comes in, but it is a tactic I would recommend as you say.

However, Kessler likes to fight at a distance. He is really a counter puncher, and picks people off as they come forward. In many respects he is like Hopkins, he loves to control the pace and opperate at range. His weakness is that he goes totally off balance when he is backed up. If you watch the Beyer fight and his last bout you will see moments where he is backed up and leans back, going off balance - those oppents didn't capitalize on it, but Calzaghe should be fst enough too.

But like I said I just can't predict this one. Kessler has youth on his side, and that's a major advantage.

I think we should be in for a classic, regardless of the outcome.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hand problems + age ... even with the speed, he better be able to discourage Kessler from walking in. Kessler waiting to counterpunch a fast handed fighter is a mistake I think.

Calzaghe talks now about this is the fight for him after all those months of dismissing a Kessler fight. He has to talk this way now to hype the thing.

Personally, I hope Kessler KOs him and he retires. I'm still pissed over that last fight with Manfredo. A love-tap stoppage. He would have won anyway, that was a homer call to save some face as a decision would have hurt more than helped.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Personally, I hope Kessler KOs him and he retires. I'm still pissed over that last fight with Manfredo. A love-tap stoppage. He would have won anyway, that was a homer call to save some face as a decision would have hurt more than helped.
    It actually hurt him in the long run, as he wanted to raise his profile in the States and it back-fired.

You can't blame him for the fight being stopped though, it was the ref's fault. Yeah it was stopped to early, but it stopped Manfredo becoming a shot fighter like Lacy is now - he'll never be the same.

Manfredo wasn't hurt, that's for sure. But his face was already swelled up. He was getting hit, and it would have only been a matter of time....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's Hopkins-Wright this Saturday. I can't see it cos I'm out of town (damnit!)

I'd love to see Hopkins win, as I really admire him and hes never ducked anyone (not saying Winky has though). However, I think Wright has the edge, he's just so damn awkward and Hopkins just isn't the sort of pressure fighter to worry him. Winky is really hard to look good against.

It'll be chess match, but it might be interesting....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Naito wins decision over Pongsaklek for WBC title

July 18, 2007

TOKYO (TICKER) -- Japanese challenger Daisuke Naito won a unanimous decision over champion Pongsaklek Wonjongkam of Thailand on Wednesday to capture the WBC flyweight title.

The 32-year-old Naito, who previously lost to Pongsaklek in April 2002 and October 2005, made his third his try at the title count. "I was super-focused but I wasn't sure if I could win," Naito said. "In the ninth round, I ran out of steam but I just pushed myself with all of my heart. I was ready to retire if I lost. All my practice paid off in the end."

Naito (31-2-2, 20 KOs) took control from the early rounds at Korakuen Hall, landing big left-right combinations to Pongsaklek's face and taking an advantage with his unorthodox punching style. A cut, which the Thai boxer said was from a headbutt, opened up above Pongsaklek's left eye in the third round.

The Hokkaido native became the second-oldest Japanese boxer at 32 years, 10 months to claim a world title. Takashi Koshimoto captured the WBC featherweight title at 35 years old.

Pongsaklek (65-3, 34 KOs), failed in his 18th title defense and relinquished the title he won in March 2001.

"Today Naito was the better fighter and I admit it," Pongsaklek said. "But the cut I got in the third round was from a headbutt. It's unfortunate I had to give up the belt."

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Walshman Rees captures WBA light-heavyweight title

July 21, 2007

By Riath Al-Samarrai Special to PA SportsTicker

CARDIFF, Wales (Ticker) - Gavin Rees became Wales' 10th world champion after claiming a unanimous points victory over WBA light-welterweight champion Souleymane M'Baye on Saturday.

The 27-year-old, whose career looked to be over in 2004 after he was given a year-long ban for knocking out a funeral mourner, completed his rehabilitation with a stunning display.

From the first bell he took the initiative and, irrespective of the sleek skills facing him, dropped few rounds against a man Ricky Hatton refused to fight, taking the verdict, 110-118, 112-117, 113-117.

Indeed, the early signs were positive for Welsh fans, with Rees initiating the action and working a series of quick combinations to the Frenchman's body, but the champion rarely sniffed danger in either of the first two rounds.

Irrespective, Rees continued to pour in the punches and, despite missing with plenty of them, remained on the front foot while evading M'Baye's huge range of shots.

It was a pattern that continued for three rounds but M'Baye's approach was not understated for long.

By the fourth he was landing the telling blows and in the fifth he smiled at Rees' best flurry while picking him off repeatedly with his left jab.

The sixth and seventh rounds saw the contender crunch M'Baye's ribs with a relentless surge of body shots but his best delivery, a left hook, clattered into the 32-year-old's jaw in the eighth.

The next four rounds passed in a similar fashion, the Welshman clearly the superior even in the absence of a big shot, and when the verdict came few were surprised.

Rees told ITV Sport: "From the first bell I outpunched him every round. I started to tire towards the end but I had won the first eight rounds.

"I knew I had already won the fight so I knew to keep calm. No one expected me to beat him, no one at all. There were massive odds in the bookies everywhere but I told everyone from the start I was going to win."

Asked if he planned to defend the title for a while, he replied: "For a long time, and maybe gain another one or two.

"There are a lot of good fights now at light welterweight and a lot of good fights in Britain. I am the world champion."

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maccarinelli retains WBO cruiserweight belt

July 21, 2007

CARDIFF, Wales (Ticker) - Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli endured arguably the toughest test of his career before defending his WBO world cruiserweight title with a unanimous points decision against Wayne Braithwaite on Saturday.

The 26-year-old, making the third defense of the belt he inherited in the wake of Johnny Nelson's retirement last year, faced, for the first time in 28 fights, punching power that matched his own.

Twice the Guyana fighter, nicknamed "Big Truck" in honor of his punching power, had the Maccarinelli struggling with big left hooks, while his jab caused significant bruising around Maccarinelli's eyes.

But, despite absorbing some enormous blows, the champion looked superb, even flooring the challenger in the fifth, and deserved the verdict of 118-109, 120-107 and 119-108.

Maccarinelli told ITV Sport: "It was a tough match against a WBC world champion, he is one of the top fighters in the world and I won on a points decision.

"He took some great shots, I dominated with the jab. I neglected the right hand a bit, I hurt it early on but the jab kept me in it.

Got it bad...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 12:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

On a side note, I threw football with Jermaine Taylor yesterday at the lake I hang out at. Hell of a nice guy and having the time of his life. He's got a new Mastercraft and he and his buddies have been out there a lot this summer.

They did haul ass to go watch the fight at about 6.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I watched Rees-M'Baye and Maccrinelli-Braithwaite.

Both really good fights.

Maccrinelli has the power to to do something spectacualr at Crusierwieght, and his skills are getting better with every fight. I can see him beating the likes of O'Neil Bell and David Haye. Jean Marc Mckormack I'm not so sure about, but it'd be a great fight.

From what I've heard, Hopkins dominated Winky. Is that the case?

Thread Information