• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Malignaggi beats N'Dou for IBF junior welterweight title

June 17, 2007

UNCASVILLE, Conn. (AP)
    -- Paul Malignaggi won the IBF junior welterweight title Saturday night, outpointing champion Lovemore Ndou in a lopsided unanimous decision.

Malignaggi (23-1) used his speed and quickness to keep N'dou at bay. He landed a left-hook counter in the ninth round to score the fight's only knockdown.

Two judges scored it 120-106. One judge scored it 118-108.

Malignaggi's best weapon was his jab, which he landed often throughout the fight. He also threw several combinations that landed, and was the far more effective counter-puncher.

The 35-year-old Ndou, from Australia, spent a majority of the bout pursuing Malignaggi, but most of his punches were blocked.

A frustrated Ndou (45-9-1) had a point taken away in Round 6 after repeatedly hitting Malignaggi in the back of the head. Ndou landed one good right hand in Round 8, his best round of the fight.

The loss snapped a six-fight winning streak for N'dou, who captured the IBF title in Australia in February. He won a technical decision over Naoufel Ben Rabah.

It was Malignaggi's second title bout. The 26-year-old from New York lost a unanimous decision to Miguel Cotto in June, 2006 for the WBO light welterweight title.

Ndou was making his first title defense. He also lost a title fight by unanimous decision to Cotto in May, 2004.

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Erdei retains WBO light heavyweight title with TKO over Blades

June 16, 2007

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP)
      -- Zsolt Erdei retained his WBO light heavyweight title on Saturday, stopping American challenger George Blades in the 11th round.

Referee Joe Cortez halted the bout at 2:27 of the round after Erdei unleashed a flurry of blows and staggered Blades with a right hook.

It was Erdei's eighth successful title defense since winning the belt in January 2004 in a unanimous decision over Mexico's Julio Cesar Gonzalez.

Erdei (27-0, 17 KOs), from Hungary, dominated the bout from the beginning, repeatedly scoring with a left jab.

"It wasn't as easy as it looked and I lost my breath a couple of times, but I quickly regained my momentum each time," Erdei said after his first fight in his homeland in almost three years.

"I think the referee had enough of my opponent getting soundly beaten and he was right to stop the fight."

Blades started energetically but landed few solid punches. He tired noticeably after the sixth round, hitting Erdei several times below the belt.

Erdei often planted himself in the middle of the ring, easily avoiding Blades' punches and retaliating mostly with left jabs and right hooks.

In January, Blades (21-3, 16 KO) won the WBC Latino light heavyweight title with a seventh-round knockout of John Romans Williams of Costa Rica.

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Hatton looks beyond Castillo to Mayweather showdown

June 17, 2007

By Mark Staniforth PA SportsTicker Boxing Writer

MANCHESTER, England (Ticker)
        - Ricky Hatton is still hoping to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. despite the self-styled 'Pretty Boy' announcing his retirement after last month's win over Oscar de la Hoya.

Hatton will enhance his reputation in the United States if he turns in an explosive performance next Saturday to defeat Jose Luis Castillo for the lightly-regarded IBO light welterweight title at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

For Hatton, a win over Castillo would provide a springboard for the fight he really wants, a showdown with the unbeaten and hugely talented Mayweather.

The all-action Brit is confident Mayweather will be unable to resist such an invitation.

"I don't think Mayweather will retire because he wants to be remembered as an all-time great, but for that he still has to do something a little bit more," Hatton said. "On talent and boxing ability, he is second to none, but in terms of excitement I haven't seen Mayweather in one good fight yet. He has become very negative as he has gotten older.

"In 10 to 15 years, when you're a fight historian and you look on that shelf where all the great fights are, are you going to reach for a Floyd Mayweather video? Floyd is far better than Arturo Gatti, but people will be watching Gatti videos long after they will be watching Mayweather's. He never gets me on the edge of my seat."

Hatton's clash against Castillo is virtually guaranteed to provide more excitement than Mayweather's cagey points verdict over 'Golden Boy' de la Hoya for the WBC light-middleweight title.

`Hitman' Hatton who expects to roared on by up to 10,000 English supporters says he is taking nothing for granted.

"Castillo is going to be in the shape of his life because it might be his last chance," the 28-year-old Hatton said.

"These are the fights I live for. I'm not bothered about being remembered as the greatest of all time, but I want people to watch my fights in years to come and say, there was a guy who could really fight."

Comment

• blonddgirl777
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Re: Judah vs Cotto: how do you see it?

Originally posted by binnie
          ... How do you guys see it going?...
          BINNIE!!!

How could you :confused:...

Forget about us... women :confused:

L.O.L.

Anyway... it smells bad in this forum...
          I'm outta here!
          http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
          Originally posted by Nitro Express
          ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
          Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
          [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
          http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
          Originally posted by VanHalener
          ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
          Originally posted by FORD
          ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• DlocRoth
            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

You sexist motherfuck.
            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• blonddgirl777
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Nhaaaa....

Binnie is not sexist... he just likes his ladies IN THE MUFF thread!
              http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
              Originally posted by Nitro Express
              ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
              Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
              [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
              http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
              Originally posted by VanHalener
              ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
              Originally posted by FORD
              ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Hatton vs Catillio this weekend!

From The Guardian

Castillo out to rebuild reputation by fighting Hatton's fire with fire

John Rawling in Las Vegas
                Friday June 22, 2007
                The Guardian

José Luis Castillo promises he will defeat Ricky Hatton here tomorrow night to prove he is the best light-welterweight in the world. He smiles as he sits on the edge of the ring in the gymnasium where he has completed his preparations for the contest, amused by the suggestion that he has a walk-forward aggressive style that is tailor-made for the rampaging Hatton.
                The 33-year-old Mexican measures his words as surely as the big punches he believes he can still produce to inflict a first professional defeat on Hatton and says: "He might think I am made for him, but I feel his style is absolutely right for me. He comes forward and I will not have to go looking for him. Ricky Hatton has had a lot of fights, but he has not seen anything like me. He is used to slow, cumbersome fighters, but I have real hand speed and that will cut him down.

He says he will push me back and says that I cannot fight on the back foot. But I think the same thing about him. This could be a great fight, if he wants to box, but I know he can be a dirty fighter. If he tries any tricks with me, I will do the same to him. He should know I will do what it takes to win this fight.
                "With Diego Corrales [the late Californian lightweight, whom he fought in two famously bruising bouts] you could see the punches coming, but that is not the case with Hatton because he comes at you from all angles and he is very reckless. If he comes out and uses his elbows and holds, then people won't like it. He knows how to be a real rough guy and there is no rhythm to what he does.

"But Ricky has got great heart and great courage. He has got to do what he has to do to win. And if he fights like he did in the first few rounds against Kostya Tszyu, it will be a great fight."

As a veteran of 63 contests, with a professional record that began more than 17 years ago, Castillo has mixed with the best. He twice took the brilliant Floyd Mayweather the distance, giving the man who is widely hailed as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world his hard nights. And he has recorded wins against impressive performers such as the Cuban Joel Casamayor and his great American rival Corrales, who recently died in a motorbike accident.

Like Hatton, Castillo has dedicated this contest to the memory of Corrales. They fought twice, first when Corrales got off the floor to stop him in the 10th round of one of the most thrilling contests in recent years. Then, in their second meeting two years ago, Castillo gained brutal revenge as he scored a stunning single-punch knockout in the fourth round. But that second fight was controversial because Castillo, physically huge for a lightweight, had experienced chronic weight-making difficulties. He had failed to make the championship limit, meaning the contest was stripped of its world-title status with Castillo having his purse slashed.

A proposed third meeting with Corrales had to be cancelled last year when Castillo once more failed to make the weight, and he was left with a punishment of a six-month suspension and a $250,000 (£125,500) fine imposed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

"This is a new start for me," Castillo said. "I have trained well and everything has gone according to plan with my weight for this fight. People have questioned my commitment, but I know in my heart I want to keep fighting and beating Ricky Hatton will prove that I am a great boxer. I have the will to keep fighting.

"I love the sport and I still have things to prove. Boxing is in my blood. For me, it is natural because it is in me. I believe that Hatton, technically, is not as efficient as I am and I will exploit his weaknesses. He has a very big heart, and a good chin, but he is not good enough to beat me.

"I know it will be a very hard fight, and it will be exciting because of our styles. He comes forward and wants to throw a lot of punches, and I am the same. We are both very committed fighters and, when we step through the ropes, nobody is going to be disappointed. Ricky is a nice man. After this is over, we will sit down and drink some beer together, but this is my chance to start again."

Packing a punch

Ricky Hatton packs a punch with the force of almost half a tonne, according to scientific tests. Sensors were attached to a punchbag by researchers at the University of Manchester and they worked out that his punch registers 400kg - nearly half a tonne and 10 times the force of an ordinary mortal's. The average speed of his punches was 25mph - giving opponents a reaction time of less than a tenth of a second. His fastest was clocked at 32mph, a blistering left hook. After the experiments Hatton said: "It was great working with the experts and the technology, and for me it was really interesting to see just how fast and hard I can hit." He was tested by engineers from the School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering, led by Dr Qingming Li. They attached sensors to a 30kg (66lb) punchbag wired to a computer that analysed the data. Hatton then hit the bag so hard that the sensor malfunctioned. "The level of force he generated was quite astonishing," Dr Li said.
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Cheers for those update Al, I'd forgotten about the Erdei-Blades fight.

I'm surprised by that outcome

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by blonddgirl777
                    Nhaaaa....

Binnie is not sexist... he just likes his ladies IN THE MUFF thread!
                    I like ladies anywhere!

Especially you Blondgirll

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                      Man I don't know, fitter?

Last fight I saw with Kessler, he looked to be a beast, fairly cut. Doesn't Calzaghe have a hand issue at the moment?

That I may not be clear on, seems like I read that though.
                      Calzaghe always has hands issues lol!

Seriously, he has very brittle hands and can''t punch at full power as a result. He damaged his hand against Manfredo, but it's recovered now and is ready to fight in September.

He must have broken his hands four or five times in the last three years.

I seem to remember that Kessler has had a similar problem in the past too

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Hatton is holding WAY too much in this fight, right from round one.

Castillo is having to resort to the same thing. Castillo should be shooting that long jab out there.

Hatton talked like he was coming out like a house of fire.

He isn't.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Thank you Harold Lederman and Max Kellerman.

Hatton is initiating the holding.

They took a point away from Castillo for low blows with no warning, and in the instructions, they said Hatton's trunks were too high.

This fight was bullshit.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Kostya Tzsu , old and done. Castillo couldn't make weight in his last fight with Corrales and was suspended a year.

Not impressed with Hatton and Floyd would beat him.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

I couldn't get this fight 'cos I was out of town.

From the reviews I've read, sounded like Hatton killed him. A body punch in the fouth, right?

I was expecting a 12 rounder to be honest.

No question that Hatton is dirty fighter: holding, butting, elbows are all part of his game. Just like they were with Holyfield.

Hatton's normal style is just to keep coming forward, like Jake la Motta, and throw to the body. He is a demon body puncher, and loves a brawl, but there are only so many brawls you can be in before time catches up wth you.

Al, I agree that Mayweather would win in a bout with Hatton (not too sure about "beating" because I don't think Mayweather "beats" anyone, he outboxes and outmarts them). Hatton would keep at him though, constant pressure, and if he landed some half decent body shots to low Mayweather, then we could have a good contest. That's the only unnown with Mayweather, no one's hit him yet.

Persoanlly, I'd rather see Cotto-Maweather. I think Hatton needs another couple of big fights against people who are mobile before he gets in with Floyd

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Here's the fourth round for anyone who didn't see it, I'm still searching on the first three to see about the holding that Al is talking about. This round is prety much vintage Hatton: fighting close, lots of body shots and wearing his opponent down slowly. It's not pretty, it's not a display of skills or flair, but it's a style I like.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cn2B1UlWLuc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cn2B1UlWLuc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...