Page 35 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,400 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He wasn't a puncher at cruiser. This is a very easy fight for Wlad.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To be honest Mormeck's last fight of any relevance was his 2007 Cruiserweight loss to David Haye,His hevyweight bouts have been nothing special.He is practically the definition of a journeyman fighter here.I say Dr. Steel Hammer wins in six
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh no were not playing the round game , not after my chisora getting knocked out within four was so succesful
    fuck your fucking framing

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just been watching mormeck fights on you tube .... he didnt look great and then i saw pics of the press conference ... he looks like a middlewight compared to wlad ... i predict it will get messy and will depend on how long wlad wants to keep him up

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This got me thinking of the heavyweight division ... so the last two challengers one had lost two of his last three fights and the other has had three fights at that weight ...... doesnt sound great when you put it that way

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holmes or Foreman would have been fun for the Bitchkos. Hell, at 40 they could have given them hell. I don't buy the Bitchko's being dominant, they just came along during a very lame time in heavyweight boxing. 100% not their faults, but I don't believe for a second that they belong in any all time greats discussion.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Holmes or Foreman would have been fun for the Bitchkos. Hell, at 40 they could have given them hell. I don't buy the Bitchko's being dominant, they just came along during a very lame time in heavyweight boxing. 100% not their faults, but I don't believe for a second that they belong in any all time greats discussion.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, we'll never know.

But I think we have to bear in mind the sheer size of these guys - Foreman would be small by the standards of today's heavyweights. That poses problems in terms of landing shots and so on.

I see Holmes outboxing either Klit - but Foreman trying to slug his way through? I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.......

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Larry Holmes had the best jab of any heavyweight that I can ever recall. That alone would give him a chance against any heavyweight who ever lived. It's too bad young boxers don't take a page from Holmes and work on their jabs, I'm so tired of seeing every young guy now thinking he's Roy Jones Jr (and nobody is) and holding that lead hand down around his waist. Roy ruined the fundamentals of an entire generation of (delusional) boxers who think they can could have carried his jock when he was in his prime.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    Larry Holmes had the best jab of any heavyweight that I can ever recall. That alone would give him a chance against any heavyweight who ever lived. It's too bad young boxers don't take a page from Holmes and work on their jabs, I'm so tired of seeing every young guy now thinking he's Roy Jones Jr (and nobody is) and holding that lead hand down around his waist. Roy ruined the fundamentals of an entire generation of (delusional) boxers who think they can could have carried his jock when he was in his prime.

Roy didn't ruin their fundamentals. He had a jab if he wanted to use it, but didn't really need to in his prime. It's younger fighter's arrogance thinking they're that much of a bad ass to start with that causes them to overlook the fundamentals (and their trainers not yelling at them for doing so); you can't fault Roy for being talented.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Boente the klitschko's manager is saying at some point wlad may still fight chisora .... pretty much shows the heavy weight division is starting to dry up with any opponents

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Roy jones wasnt just talented he was phenomemally fast .... no matter how talented a young boxer is , you keep your hands down you better be fast .

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Roy didn't ruin their fundamentals. He had a jab if he wanted to use it, but didn't really need to in his prime. It's younger fighter's arrogance thinking they're that much of a bad ass to start with that causes them to overlook the fundamentals (and their trainers not yelling at them for doing so); you can't fault Roy for being talented.
    I'm not faulting him, I'm not saying Roy stopped by each fighter's locker room and told them to box like him. I'm just saying I've seen a lot of fighters who think they can get away with trying to box like Roy and only Roy Jones Jr could get away with that style. You are correct in his prime he didn't need to jab in a conventional style, he didn't need defense, he just needed his superhuman reflexes and power. My friends and I had viewing parties for most of his fights here at my house back in the day, we were all fans. He was spectacular to watch and it influenced a generation of young fighters who need to be told they ain't him and then shown film of Larry Holmes. Sadly now that his reflexes have slipped to that of a mere mortal, he is paying the price for being fundamentally flawed.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not faulting him, I'm not saying Roy stopped by each fighter's locker room and told them to box like him. I'm just saying I've seen a lot of fighters who think they can get away with trying to box like Roy and only Roy Jones Jr could get away with that style. You are correct in his prime he didn't need to jab in a conventional style, he didn't need defense, he just needed his superhuman reflexes and power. My friends and I had viewing parties for most of his fights here at my house back in the day, we were all fans. He was spectacular to watch and it influenced a generation of young fighters who need to be told they ain't him and then shown film of Larry Holmes. Sadly now that his reflexes have slipped to that of a mere mortal, he is paying the price for being fundamentally flawed.
    I hear ya. You nailed it...they need to be TOLD they ain't him, because they clearly have an inflated sense of self in regard to their abilities...NO ONE else I can think of is/was as quick and powerful as Roy in his prime. For them to even think they are is arrogant, because that sh*t ain't at all normal, and usually only comes around once a generation... But I would again fault their trainers for not b*tch-slapping them when they see them trying to pull that off in training!!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn shame about Roy.

There's a case to be made for him being the GOAT, but we'll never know because the 'obvious' big fights were never made (for whatever reasons):

Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank or Steve Collins at 168lbs (Eubank might have posed some problems - as much as I like Benn, his would have been a puncher's chance at best).
    Michaelowski at 175 (that guy was very, very good. But I suspect he'd have been too orthodox to pose Roy any problems).

Roy should have stopped after he won at heavy. Getting KO'd by Johnson/Tarver tainted his legacy, even if we all know it's because his body was ruined by losing so much weight.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wouldnt argue if someone said he was the best p4p ever .... .there are decent arguments to be had but his name would be right in there .....

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Damn shame about Roy.

There's a case to be made for him being the GOAT, but we'll never know because the 'obvious' big fights were never made (for whatever reasons):

Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank or Steve Collins at 168lbs (Eubank might have posed some problems - as much as I like Benn, his would have been a puncher's chance at best).
    Michaelowski at 175 (that guy was very, very good. But I suspect he'd have been too orthodox to pose Roy any problems).

Roy should have stopped after he won at heavy. Getting KO'd by Johnson/Tarver tainted his legacy, even if we all know it's because his body was ruined by losing so much weight.
    He is the only boxer in history to start his career as a light middleweight (154 lbs), and go on to win a heavyweight title. Only Jones and Bob Fitzsimmons ever won both titles at middleweight and heavyweight, Fitzsimmons did it in 1896.

He could have fought almost anybody in any weight class and beaten them the night he beat Montel Williams. I've never seen anyone that I can recall who was as electrifying in the ring. But his legacy is damaged because he didn't walk away after the Ruiz fight and we probably haven't seen the worst of it yet because Roy, whom I thought would never have problem with money owes the IRS $3.5M.

Benn would have been a boring fight but with his matador-like skills, one could would have won easily in a decision with Benn stalking but never connecting.

Eubank or Collins would have been relatively easy fights for Roy.

I think Roy could have frustrated the hell out of Michaelowski and eventually land enough good shots to win the fight easily.
    Last edited by gbranton; 03-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also think Roy is in the running for GOAT... so he's had a few losses, so did Ali...

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also think Roy is in the running for GOAT... so he's had a few losses, so did Ali...
    Yeah but Ali didn't get stretched out every time he stepped in the ring either.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah but Ali didn't get stretched out every time he stepped in the ring either.
    No, but he was getting seriously worked by his opponents once he continued past his prime...I remember as a kid being saddened watching his last few fights. I still think the luckiest day of Antonio Tarver's life was the day he caught Roy with that shot...he was unimpressive before that fight, AND after. Glenn Jones I can almost see, because that dude is a warrior and is relentless (he should probably hang it up at this point, too). But I HOPE Roy doesn't come out of retirement and get hurt (potentially badly) for a payday... his last fight with Calzaghe (sp) was odd, didn't seem like he was completely out-classed, hell he knocked him down early, but then seemed content to let Joe get off first - and kind of gave up it seemed after he got cut...I remember thinking he should probably stop complimenting Joe every time he caught him with a decent shot and start mounting a defense/comeback, but he never did.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think it's a pisser when these guys earn shit loads of money and still
    End up broke and have to come back fur one more pay day ... It ruins good fighters and is dangerous , and usually spoils good memories of good fighters , I understand in the old days people were badly advised but fuck knows u would think these people now a days would get better advice

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ... his last fight with Calzaghe (sp) was odd, didn't seem like he was completely out-classed, hell he knocked him down early, but then seemed content to let Joe get off first
    Calzaghe wasn't his last fight, it was the last time he looked good.

Omar Sheika - won TKO 5 - Looked ok but Sheika is shot.

Jeff Lacy - won RTD 10 - Again, a totally shot fighter in Lacy.

Danny Green - lost TKO 1.

Bernard Hopkins - lost UD 12 - In my eyes Roy didn't win a round, not one. Dave Moretti 109-118, Glenn Trowbridge 110-117, Don Trella 110-117.

Denis Lebedev - lost KO 10 - Who? At 198 1/4 pounds.

Max Alexander - won UD 10 - Again, who? At 193 pounds.

Sheika, Green, Lebedev, Alexander are the type of fighters who wouldn't last three rounds with a prime RJJ.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I think it's a pisser when these guys earn shit loads of money and still
    End up broke and have to come back fur one more pay day ... It ruins good fighters and is dangerous , and usually spoils good memories of good fighters , I understand in the old days people were badly advised but fuck knows u would think these people now a days would get better advice
    I really haven't figured out how this happened. He managed himself, so he's not giving up a minimum of 30% off the top of his purses before taxes. Roy and I have a mutual friend and I know another guy who fishes with him, by all accounts he didn't lead an extravagant lifestyle. I've met him twice and didn't see any gaudy jewelry, no extravagant house, no huge fancy fishing boat, he's a pretty down to Earth dude. I don't get it. Bad investments I suppose or somebody flat out stole it from him, who knows?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He is the only boxer in history to start his career as a light middleweight (154 lbs), and go on to win a heavyweight title. Only Jones and Bob Fitzsimmons ever won both titles at middleweight and heavyweight, Fitzsimmons did it in 1896.

He could have fought almost anybody in any weight class and beaten them the night he beat Montel Williams. I've never seen anyone that I can recall who was as electrifying in the ring. But his legacy is damaged because he didn't walk away after the Ruiz fight and we probably haven't seen the worst of it yet because Roy, whom I thought would never have problem with money owes the IRS $3.5M.

Benn would have been a boring fight but with his matador-like skills, one could would have won easily in a decision with Benn stalking but never connecting.

Eubank or Collins would have been relatively easy fights for Roy.

I think Roy could have frustrated the hell out of Michaelowski and eventually land enough good shots to win the fight easily.
    Agree with most of this, although I think you're a little hard on some of those guys.

Eubank was awkward, could bang, and was quite difficult to time - he might have posed a few problems for RJJ. It would have been a UD, mind.

Collins was a whirlwind, a pressure fighter who'd been in with some really good guys. I'd have been intrigued to see how Roy handled the pressure, but again a UD seems likely.

Michaelewski was a beast - so strong. I imagine he may have even won a couple of rounds before Roy KO'd him.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The reason boxers have tax problems is down to poor management and surrounding themselves with sharks.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Carl Froch - Lucien Bute has just been signed for May 26th in the UK.

This is a pick 'em fight.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Its a tough one to call the froch -bute fight .....bute is a handful ...i like froch but i can see plenty to be worried about in this fight. My heart says froch but my head says late ko to bute.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agree with most of this, although I think you're a little hard on some of those guys.

Eubank was awkward, could bang, and was quite difficult to time - he might have posed a few problems for RJJ. It would have been a UD, mind.

Collins was a whirlwind, a pressure fighter who'd been in with some really good guys. I'd have been intrigued to see how Roy handled the pressure, but again a UD seems likely.

Michaelewski was a beast - so strong. I imagine he may have even won a couple of rounds before Roy KO'd him.
    I'm trying to to be hard on Eubank and Collins, I'm not saying he'd blow them out but this IS the guy who once blanked Vinny Pazienza in round four of their fight on the way to a sixth round stoppage. Paz put the pressure on Roy, got him on the ropes a few times...........and paid the price. You could say Paz moved up too far in weight or that he was past his prime but he was still a very tough guy and a pressure fighter and for Roy to go an entire round without getting hit a single time is mind blowing, especially since this was a real grudge match between these two.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wlad stopped Mormeck in 4.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didnt watch it ... I feel asleep after a couple of Stella's ... The word is it was totally one sided .. Will check it out on the net later ...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just watched the fight ... the kindest thing i can say is the mormeck wasnt a very good opponent.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One-sided would be an understatement.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Calzaghe wasn't his last fight, it was the last time he looked good.
    Yeah, think I unconsciously overlooked the last few, I really don't want to pity him...

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One-sided would be an understatement.
    Mormeck threw a total of 19 punches and landed only 3.To put it another way he landed one more punch than times he was knocked down.In a word,Pathetic

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh and just for closure the WBC has suspended Dereck Chisora Indefinitely,and will not consider his reinstatement until he has undergone an anger management course

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I like The Cobra and he has the home town advantage but I would put my money on Bute for the win.We all know what Froch can do but Bute is still something of an unknown entity in that he has not been tested against a top class fighter.He has had something like 9 title defences against B guys,So there is still the air of how good is he when he needs to bring it,Plus he has speed,power,and intelligence.Should be good but i think i will go with Bute

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    Mormeck threw a total of 19 punches and landed only 3. To put it another way he landed one more punch than times he was knocked down. In a word, Pathetic
    Wow. I've said this jokingly over the years but I'm almost 100% certain, not joking in the least, that I could do better than that.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh and just for closure the WBC has suspended Dereck Chisora Indefinitely,and will not consider his reinstatement until he has undergone an anger management course
    THAT'S the best news I've heard all day. Hopefully the course costs as much or more than his share of the purse from the fight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like The Cobra and he has the home town advantage but I would put my money on Bute for the win.We all know what Froch can do but Bute is still something of an unknown entity in that he has not been tested against a top class fighter.He has had something like 9 title defences against B guys,So there is still the air of how good is he when he needs to bring it,Plus he has speed,power,and intelligence.Should be good but i think i will go with Bute
    I think that speed might be the difference. Add into that that Bute is getting better and better.

Froch will have to try and take him into the trenches....

Thread Information