Hopkins keeps title with entertaining win over Wright
    By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)
    Updated: July 22, 2007, 6:11 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    LAS VEGAS -- The conventional wisdom heading into Bernard Hopkins' light heavyweight championship defense against Winky Wright on Saturday night was:

A) It would be a boring fight.

B) It would be a close fight.

Well, it wasn't boring. It was pretty entertaining. But it was also a fight filled with many close rounds between defensive tacticians who decided to mix it up more than they normally do.

In the end, however, it was Hopkins, at age 42, winning a unanimous decision to retain his title before a crowd of about 9,000 at Mandalay Bay.

Although the scorecards were somewhat wide -- 117-111, 117-111 and 116-112 -- there were some very difficult rounds to score as both fighters had their moments. ESPN.com scored it 116-112 for Hopkins.

"It was a very close fight, a tough fight," Hopkins said. "Winky is very tough, and he kept coming. He knows I respect him a lot."

For Hopkins (48-4-1, 32 KOs), it was a terrific encore for what he accomplished 13 months ago, when the long-reigning middleweight champion moved up to light heavyweight and easily dominated Antonio Tarver to win the title.

Hopkins had announced before the Tarver fight that he would retire afterward, and it was one of the great walk-away performances in sports history. But Hopkins couldn't stay away. Feeling strong and good at a heavier weight after more than a decade of squeezing down to middleweight, Hopkins decided to come back to fight Wright, the former undisputed middleweight champ and top middleweight contender.

It turned out to be the right decision.

Although Hopkins no longer can fight for a full three minutes of each round, he was effective in spots with his combination punching. When Wright (51-4-1, 25 KOs) landed his straight left, Hopkins was able to respond with his own blows.

But Hopkins also used his head -- a lot. Referee Robert Byrd warned him repeatedly for using his head, but he never deducted a point.

An accidental head butt opened a nasty cut by Wright's left eye in the third round. Although blood was dripping down his cheek, the 35-year-old was aggressive, with Hopkins countering.

The cut seemed to bother Wright throughout the bout, and he was complaining to Byrd about Hopkins' tactics.

When they clinched in the fourth round, Hopkins rubbed his head against Wright's, drawing one of the many warnings from Byrd.

"I won the fight," said Wright, who suffered his first defeat since a controversial decision loss to Fernando Vargas in 1999. "It was a dirty fight. He was head butting all day. I went up to fight the best. I still want to fight the best. I thought I won the fight, but it was a close fight."

CompuBox statistics indicated it was very close. Hopkins was credited with landing 152 of 640 punches (24 percent) and Wright with landing 167 of 618 blows (27 percent).

Hopkins insisted he didn't butt Wright on purpose.

"He was coming toward me, and I was going under him," Hopkins said. "It was definitely an accidental head butt. It happens a lot when you fight southpaws."

Wright, who earned $2 million plus a percentage of pay-per-view profits, looked as though he was slowing down in the ninth round, and the cut was still bothering him. And, yet again, Byrd warned Hopkins for using his head but still didn't dock a point.

Hopkins looked fresh late in the bout, luring Wright in and snapping off combinations.

In the 12th, he wobbled Wright with a right hand as blood streaked down his cheek.

But Wright didn't blame the head butt for his loss.

"I don't think the head butt was intentional," he said. "It was a head butt. That's that. I told them I was coming to fight. I'm not at 170 [pounds]. I'll go down to 160 or wherever. I'll fight all the best fighters."

HBO will replay the bout, along with live coverage of the Vernon Forrest-Carlos Baldomir junior middleweight title bout, next Saturday (10:15 p.m. ET/PT).

At Friday's weigh-in, Hopkins ignited a fracas when he shoved Wright on the forehead with an open fist. After the fight, he admitted it was a ploy to hype a bout that hadn't caught the public's attention, even though it matched two of the best fighters in the world.

"What happened the other day was just part of the hype of the fight. But it obviously manifested itself in the ring because we both came to fight tonight," said Hopkins, who had $300,000 of his $3 million guaranteed purse held by the Nevada commission for the shoving incident, pending a hearing. "Somebody said it was boring. I didn't think it was boring. It was a great fight."

Hopkins, his legacy growing with each outing, intends to fight on.

"I want [super middleweight champion] Joe Calzaghe next," Hopkins said. "Tell him to come on over here [from Wales] and we'll fight. I'll beat him, too, and then he won't be undefeated."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

HOPKINS WANTS CALZAGHE

From ESPN

LAS VEGAS -- Bernard Hopkins came out of retirement at age 42 to put an end to Winky Wright's 7½-year unbeaten streak.

Now the patient, defensive master who outboxed Wright for a unanimous decision at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on Saturday night is looking to take on an undefeated Welshman for the next chapter in the twilight of his career.

"I want Joe Calzaghe next," Hopkins said of the Welsh 168-pound champion. "Tell him to come over here, and I'm going to beat him, too."

Hopkins (48-4-1, 32 KOs) was triumphant after picking at a gash that opened over Wright's left eye with a head-butt in the third round. Wright (51-4-1) scrambled and counterpunched, but couldn't get away.

Wright grew frustrated and tired in the late rounds, and Hopkins stuck with a steady strategy in a light-heavyweight fight featuring more action than most expected from two guarded counterpunchers. Wright was active and resilient, but Hopkins usually was a half-step ahead.

Judges Glenn Trowbridge and Dave Moretti scored it 117-111 for Hopkins, and Glenn Hamada scored it 116-112. The Associated Press also gave it to Hopkins, 115-113.

Wright thought the fight was his, but didn't blame Hopkins for the head-butt.

"I thought I won the fight, but it was a close fight," said Wright, who doesn't plan to fight again at 170 pounds. "I don't think the head-butt was intentional. It was a head-butt. That's that."

Hopkins praised his opponent, calling it "a very close fight."

"Winky is tough, and he kept coming," Hopkins said. "He knows that I respect him a lot. I had no ill intent. It was all good for both gentlemen, and boxing is back."

Hopkins retired last year after a career highlighted by 21 straight middleweight title defenses and last year's shocking win over Antonio Tarver. Months later, he abandoned retirement for a shot at the 35-year-old Wright, who hadn't lost in 13 fights since December 1999.

By calling out Calzaghe, Hopkins has set the bar higher as his career nears its physical limits.

Calzaghe, the WBO super middleweight champion, goes into a Nov. 3 unification bout against Denmark's Mikkel Kessler, the WBC and WBA champion who is 39-0 with 29 KOs.

Calzaghe has 20 successful title defenses behind him -- putting him five short of Joe Louis's all-time record. At 43-0, Calzaghe is also nearing Marciano's 49-0.

But Hopkins said he was in great shape too and didn't want to quit now.

"Now people look at me and say, 'Look at your shoulders. Look at your midsection. It's like you're a wide receiver for an NFL team,'" he said. "Why cheat myself and not be able to exploit the situation by continuing?"

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

DE LA HOYA IS INTERESTED IN HATTON

From ESPN

LAS VEGAS -- Oscar De La Hoya plans to continue fighting and has targeted Britain's Ricky Hatton for a possible clash next year.

"There's been rumblings going on about it," said the Mexican-American multiple world champion, known as "Golden Boy", of a possible Hatton bout.

"I respect Ricky Hatton. He's a great fighter, he's a great guy. If that fight does get made, fans all over the world will be ecstatic. They will see a fight. Ricky Hatton comes to fight. And that's what I love. If we ever do it, it will be a heck of a show, that's for sure."

Hatton told Reuters: "It would be an honor to share a ring with a modern day legend like Oscar.

"It would be great to fight him in England in a soccer stadium or America. It would be some fight. It's those sort of fights that secure your legacy."

It is not the only option available to Hatton, whose stock rose in the United States following his fourth-round knock-out of Mexican Jose Luis Castillo last month.

U.S. television executives would like to match him up later this year against any one of the following: WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico, former champion Shane Mosley, or WBC champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., who beat De La Hoya on a split decision in May. A Mayweather fight, in particular, excites Hatton.

"It's no secret that I also want to fight Floyd," he said.

"Hopefully in the autumn. He is regarded as the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but I feel I have the style to beat him. But if Floyd won't fight me maybe Oscar would. Oscar has never dodged anybody."

Mayweather said he was retiring following his victory over De La Hoya, but following Hatton's defeat of Castillo, said he wanted to "beat him all the way back to England."

A fight with either De La Hoya or Mayweather would almost certainly have to be in the welterweight division, seven pounds heavier than Hatton normally fights and seven pounds below De La Hoya's recent fighting weight.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Funny how now he wants Calzaghe. Calzaghe mentioned him before signing to fight Kessler, along with Taylor.

I bet Calzaghe is pissed, he would more than likely made more money with Hopkins, although it is hard to say with the fight over there.

I will wait and reserve opinion until I see the replay of Hopkins-Wright. I had Hopkins winning by decision before the fight and it looks as if (by the scoring) the decision was fairly decisive. Wright, in fight, made gestures that he thought the butt was intentional and then changed his tune in the post-fight.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Headbuts happen, it's part of the game; as are elbows, leaning etc etc...

Might not be strickly "legal" but it happens so often it's a regular thing, probably accepted by most fighters: Evander Holyfield wouldn't have gotten so far without his head!

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems that Wright was beaten fair and square. I feel a little sorry for the guy becuase he clearly beat Jermain Taylor, but didn't get the decision. Guess he's just not lucky.

All credit to Hopkins though. I honestly thought that Wright would be too defensive for him, shows what I know.

There have been some decent fights in the past three months, gives me hope for the sport. TheHeavyweight division needs some fire in it though, it's the ambassador for the sport and attracts the people with a fringe interest. Couple of decent heavyweights would attract a lot more media attention for boxing.

Can't think of anyone up to the job though....

It's funny that he can beat Wright, but struggle with Jermain Taylor, who must be a little slower and easier to hit?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I agree 1000% about Holyfield. I know Tyson was a moron for biting him and may not have won anyway, but he was dead-on about Evander's heat butting.

This was too heavy for Wright in my opinion. Middleweight and Super isn't far off, 8 lbs. But at nearly 170, this was the limit for Wright. I figured Hopkins would be too strong.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think he's slower, he just had the style. And he beat Hopkins twice in the same fashion, so it is odd how that worked.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Taylor-Pavlick could be an interesting fight. I imagine that Taylor will be too smart for him though....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pavik is a tough dude ... he will go right at him, whether that is a mistake or not.

And Mayweather-Hatton is on.

==================================================

So much for retirement

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

July 27, 2007

Unbeaten welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. has opted against retirement for the chance to make Ricky Hatton pay for his boastful comments.

Mayweather and Hatton agreed to terms Friday for a Dec. 8 welterweight fight in Las Vegas, less than three months after Mayweather had said he planned to retire following a victory over Oscar De La Hoya.

Hatton called out Mayweather both before and after his June 23 knockout of Jose Luis Castillo. On Friday, a deal was reached, though Mayweather said he is not certain if his WBC welterweight title will be at stake.

"He's definitely getting knocked out. I guarantee that," Mayweather said. "He's talked the talk. Let's see if he can walk the walk when he's in there against the best."

The fight will pit a pair of unbeatens in a duel for supremacy at 147 pounds. Mayweather, 30, is 38-0 with 24 knockouts. He has held world titles at super featherweight, lightweight, super lightweight, welterweight and super welterweight.

Hatton, 28, is 43-0 with 31 knockouts. He's held titles at super lightweight and welterweight, but would be moving up from 140 pounds to fight Mayweather.

It is a match reminiscent of the 1999 battle between De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad.

Trinidad won a controversial decision over De La Hoya in that Sept. 18, 1999 bout, which held the record for the most pay-per-view sales in a non-heavyweight fight until Mayweather's bout with De La Hoya in May. The Trinidad-De La Hoya bout sold 1.4 million on pay-per-view; De La Hoya and Mayweather combined to sell 2.15 million for their super welterweight bout.

Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe credited Hatton and his father, Ray, for stepping up to get the deal done. However, Ellerbe said he expected Mayweather to prove his superiority in the bout.

Though Hatton is moving up in weight, Ellerbe said Mayweather is truly a lightweight.

"Floyd is going in there and beating these guys even though he's really a lightweight and is giving up something like 20 pounds," Ellerbe said. "What's that tell you about him? When he stepped into the ring against Oscar, he weighed 148 and Oscar weighed 168.

"This isn't like Floyd has some huge size advantage. Floyd is just on another level skill-wise."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Saw Hopkins-Wright tonight.

Sloppy and horrible.

The head butt wasn't nearly as bad as Wright made it sound or look, andf Hopkins wanting to fight anyone anymore is a joke.

He needs to retire. Any of the younger dudes will wear his ass out.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Saw Hopkins-Wright tonight.

Sloppy and horrible.

The head butt wasn't nearly as bad as Wright made it sound or look, andf Hopkins wanting to fight anyone anymore is a joke.

He needs to retire. Any of the younger dudes will wear his ass out.
    I agree on both points.

Hopkins can only fight for a mnute or so of each round, that's a dangerous place to be in. His counter-punching skills are still second to none, but he should retire. It would be better than getting beaten by some average fighter 18 months down the line...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mayweather-Hatton moves a step closer. From telegraph.co.uk

Ricky Hatton is set to get his wish of a career-defining super-fight against Floyd Mayweather after his father Ray confirmed he had reached a deal "in principle" with the American's representatives.

Hatton said a verbal agreement had been struck between lawyers for both parties, including, crucially, over the financial split of what would be a multi-million dollar bout.

But Hatton said he would remain cautious until contracts had been exchanged. He added that no date or venue had been agreed, but it would probably take place on Nov 10 or Dec 8 in Las Vegas.

advertisementRay Hatton said: "We have agreed a deal in principle. The date and venue is up in the air but we agreed via our lawyers what the financial side of it is going to be. I can't honestly tell you a deal has been done until I see the signatures on all the documents. But what I can tell you is that both sides were happy with what we finalised verbally."

It is believed the fight could be officially announced as early as tomorrow, with Mayweather's advisers telling US media sources that it was a done deal for Dec 8.

The speed with which such a big fight appears to have been put together will stun many observers who have grown used to seeing so many potential super-fights mired in politics and financial issues.

Hatton had called out Mayweather after his magnificent June 23 win over Jose Luis Castillo.

Mayweather, who was supposed to have retired after his May 5 win over Oscar De La Hoya, responded by saying he wanted the fight. The American's representatives flew Ray Hatton and the family's lawyer, Gareth Williams, to Las Vegas to watch last week's fight between Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright.

Hatton said negotiations were "cordial", but that the pair had flown back to England with both camps "far apart" on the financial aspects of the fight.

However, a deal has been reached over the telephone in recent days. "It is a great fight for Ricky. How many times do you get to fight the best fighter in the world? I see it as a win-win situation because Ricky cannot fail to impress," Hatton added.

"Floyd is coming off a great win over De La Hoya and Ricky over Castillo. Between them they are unbeaten in 81 fights. There is nowhere else it could happen. It would be an unbelievable fight." Neither fighter will go into the ring bearing a recognised title belt. Mayweather handed back the WBC light-middleweight belt he won over De La Hoya because he had no intention of remaining at that weight.

But both Mayweather and Hatton possess the Ring Magazine belts at 147lbs and 140lbs, respectively. It is likely Hatton would agree to move up to meet Mayweather at the higher weight.

Despite affording Mayweather due respect as a supremely skilful fighter, Hatton has routinely derided what he perceives as his negative, back-foot style. The Mancunian described his win over Castillo as "more exciting than all of Mayweather's fights put together", and it appears he has succeeded in rankling the self-styled 'Pretty Boy' out of retirement.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

MAYWEATHER AND JUDDAH BRAWL IN A NIGHTCLUB?

from doghouseboxing.com

According to a few Rap sites reports from this month July, and yet to be confirmed by main stream news outlets, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Zab Judah were involved in a scuffle with one another at a night club.

The brief melee occurred at the OPM nightclub in Las Vegas.

According to some reports, Mayweather initiated the melee with a war of words at Judah. Things quickly got heated and
    then turned into a physical encounter.

Reportedly, Judah suffered bloody knuckles from the brief encounter.

Earlier this year, Mayweather Jr defeated Judah with a unanimous decision over Judah. A melee also occurred in that fight after Judah hit Mayweather with a low blow in the tenth round.

Afterwards, Zab, his father Yoel and Mayweather's trainer, Roger Mayweather were all fined and given suspensions by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for jumping into the ring and starting a small riot inside the ring..

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

FORREST KILLS BALDOMIR FOR TITLE

NEW YORK -- Vernon Forrest can be called a world champion once again. In a solid fight between two 36 year-olds, Forrest (39-2, 28 KOs) won the WBC super welterweight championship following a hard-fought, 12-round unanimous decision against Carlos Baldomir (43-10-6, 13 KOs) at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, Washington on Saturday.

It was Forrest's second world championship in as many weight classes. " I wouldn't say I'm back," Forrest said afterward. "I'm just back on top". His battle with Baldomir, a former WBC welterweight champion who is best-known for victories against Zab Judah and Arturo Gatti before losing to Floyd Mayweather last year, was exciting.

Forrest threw more punches (663-669) and outjabbed Baldomir (107-42). He was much taller than the durable 5-foot-7 Baldomir and was dominant as the scorecards clearly reflected in his performance.

All three judges scored the bout 118-109 (twice) and 116-111. Baldomir stunned Forrest in the ninth round. Forrest was also docked one point in that same round for a low blow.

"He pushed me to the limit," Forrest said of Baldomir. "I'm just happy I got a victory. I needed some body like that to push me. I fight up or down to the level of my opposition."

Although Forrest won the WBC 154-pound championship, it remains to be seen as to whether he'll move back down to 147 for a big fight. The welterweight division is where the money is, as WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto will face "Sugar" Shane Mosley in the fall.

WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has agreed to face Ricky Hatton in the winter as well. Also, Oscar De La Hoya is eying an eventual return to the welterweight class and is currently walking around at approximately 150 pounds.

Also, IBF champion Kermit Cintron, newly crowned WBO champion Paul Williams, who just defeated Paul Williams, Joshua Clotty, former undisputed world welterweight champion Zab Judah, former WBA welterweight champion Ike Quartey, and upcoming prospects Andre Berto and Shamone Alvarez round out the 147-pound class.

It doesn't make any sense for Forrest to move up to middleweight. Unbeaten WBC/WBO middleweight champion is going to move up to 168 after his September 29 defense against undefeated No. 1-ranked challenger Kelly Pavlik. Also, it wouldn't make sense for IBF champion Arthur Abraham and WBA champion Felix Sturm to want to fight Forrest.

IBF junior middleweight champion Cory Spinks, newly crowned WBA 154-pound champion Joachim Alcine, Travis Simms, and Roman Karmazin are all good fighters. However, they are not the best fighters and no one will be interested in watching them fight Forrest.

While De La Hoya made millions fighting Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey, and Felix Trinidad in the late 1990s, Forrest (along with Winky Wright) was intentionally left out of the loop. At 6-feet, Forrest was a taller welterweight who could move, box, and had good timing.

Forrest was always known throughout the boxing community, but didn't become a superstar until he unified the WBC/IBF welterweight titles by handing Mosley the first two losses in his professional career in 2001.

Forrest's career began to sag after a pair of shocking losses to Ricardo Mayorga the following year. Forrest was inactive from boxing during 2003-2005, as he had surgeries on both shoulders.

Since returning to boxing in July 2005, he's 4-0, with 2 KOs. The combined record of his opposition is (116-16-7). Prior to Baldomir, Forrest won a disputed 10-round decision against Quartey in August 2005.

It will be very interesting to see where Forrest can go following the Baldomir fight and whether anyone would be willing to fight him.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Baldomir is a washed up cunt.

Verno mopped up on him.

Also, I agree with the Bernard comments.....

One of the best ever, but he can't fight younger guys anymore. I'm not saying he'd get killed in there or anything, but he'd take waaaay too much punishment.

Time to call it a day, Ex......

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DlocRoth

One of the best ever, but he can't fight younger guys anymore. I'm not saying he'd get killed in there or anything, but he'd take waaaay too much punishment.

Time to call it a day, Ex......
    He's not going to though, is he? Sad but true

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Who knows?

He also said he'd retire before he turned 40.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

True, but after the Winky fight he said he wants Calzaghe, and he still wants to win a heavyweight title.

He has also said that people have been telling him that he looks like a football player, because of his physique. He clearly believes that there is still gas in the tank.

I hope he calls it a day soon, before the decline really kicks in...

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Same here.....

He's still in great shape physically though....

And he's still a draw.....

But he needs to hang it up, he can only tarnish his legacy at this point.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh man, Hopkins will NEVER win any version of the heavyweight title.

Unless its the newly founded OLD Belt.

Ironically, it was the bullshit decision that Michael Spinks was given in the second Holmes fight that spawned the IBF and that belt was bestowed onto Holmes.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holyfield replaces Chagaev in October bout with Ibragimov

August 2, 2007

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP)
    -- Evander Holyfield will replace Ruslan Chagaev in a bout against Sultan Ibragimov in Russia in October, six days before the former heavyweight champ's 45th birthday.

Event organizers announced Thursday that Chagaev, the WBA heavyweight champion, was withdrawing because of unspecified medical reasons. He was scheduled to fight Ibragimov, the WBO champ, in an Oct. 13 unification bout at Khodynka Arena in Moscow.

In his latest comeback attempt, Holyfield (42-8-2, 27 KOs) is seeking to earn a record fifth heavyweight title.

The 32-year old Ibragimov, who will be fighting in his native country, is 21-0-1 with 17 KOs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh man, Hopkins will NEVER win any version of the heavyweight title.

Unless its the newly founded OLD Belt.

Ironically, it was the bullshit decision that Michael Spinks was given in the second Holmes fight that spawned the IBF and that belt was bestowed onto Holmes.
    Roy Jones won his title due to his incredible speed and footwork, which kept hm from being hit: I'm not too sure that Hopkins has enough of those skills left to operate against a heavyweight. Might be wrong, but I doubt it...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holyfield replaces Chagaev in October bout with Ibragimov

August 2, 2007

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP)
    -- Evander Holyfield will replace Ruslan Chagaev in a bout against Sultan Ibragimov in Russia in October, six days before the former heavyweight champ's 45th birthday.

Event organizers announced Thursday that Chagaev, the WBA heavyweight champion, was withdrawing because of unspecified medical reasons. He was scheduled to fight Ibragimov, the WBO champ, in an Oct. 13 unification bout at Khodynka Arena in Moscow.

In his latest comeback attempt, Holyfield (42-8-2, 27 KOs) is seeking to earn a record fifth heavyweight title.

The 32-year old Ibragimov, who will be fighting in his native country, is 21-0-1 with 17 KOs.

Anyone seen Sultan fight? He can punch, really punch. I'd love to see Holyfield win this, I really would. And he just charges straight at his oponents and smothers them with punches. Back in the day, Holyfield would have eaten him for breakfast but now, I'm not so sure

But I'd also like to see him make it to 45 in good health.

My first feeling is that if Holyfield uses his head (both metaphorically and literally) and ties Sultan up, or keeps him at range and counter-punches, he'll slowly where him down. If he tries to stand and trade blows I've got a feeling he'll lose (Holyfield won't be knocked out though...)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Two decent fights this Saturday:

Eric Morales moves up to Lightwait to take on David diaz for the WBC belt. My gut feeling on this on goes with Diaz: Morales is a legend, no question, but his best years are behind him. Diaz will be two strong for him I think

Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vasquez at Super-Bantom. Looking forward to this one, Vasquez had to retire in the seventh with a broken nose last time if I remember correctly, but I think that may have given him the spur to revenge himslef this time, Fights like this are two close to call, but I'll go with Vasquez, as Marques isn't quite the fighter that his brother is.

Thoughts?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You were right on both accounts dude.

Diaz looks toward future after beating Morales in thriller to defend WBC lightweight title

By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer

August 5, 2007

ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) -- While Erik Morales headed into retirement, WBC lightweight champion David Diaz turned his attention toward the future.

Morales made Diaz earn every penny of his $350,000 purse Saturday, but the 30-year-old called it a career after coming up short in his bid to become the first Mexican to win a world title in four weight classes. Diaz won a thriller by unanimous decision and cemented his status as champion after getting the belt when the WBC stripped Joel Casamayor.

Now, he wants a $1 million payday.

"I think we deserve a payday," Diaz said after his first title defense. "Hopefully, we can get it."

Diaz's first choice would be to unify the 135-pound titles. WBO and WBA lightweight champion Juan Diaz and IBF champ Julio Diaz are scheduled to meet in October, and David Diaz's first choice would be to fight either. His trainer, Jim Strickland, also thinks a big paycheck could come from fighting WBC super featherweight champ Manny Pacquiao.

"Pacquiao would be the one that would pay that," Strickland said. "That would be my choice of a fight. And with those two guys going at each other like billy goats, that ... would give the fans another fight just like we saw (Saturday) night."

Morales and Diaz went right at each other.

A former champion at 122, 126 and 130 pounds, Morales (48-6) knocked Diaz down in the first round. Diaz (33-1-1) returned the favor in the second, and they punished each other the rest of the way, bringing the crowd of 9,735 to its feet.

Morales had said he would fight once more in his hometown of Tijuana if he won. Otherwise, he would retire. But he made it known as soon as he got to his corner after the final bell that he was finished.

Morales, who earned $750,000 on Saturday, ended his career by losing four straight and five of his final six fights -- assuming he stays retired. But he also showed against Diaz that he could still compete with the best after being stopped by Pacquiao in his previous two fights.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vazquez reclaims WBC Super Bantamweight title with TKO in sixth over Marquez

August 5, 2007

HIDALGO, Texas (AP) -- Israel Vazquez reclaimed the WBC super bantamweight title he lost to Rafael Marquez in March, knocking the champion down in the sixth before stopping him at the 1:16 mark Saturday night at Dodge Arena.

Vazquez took a pounding, too.

"I wasn't afraid they were going to stop the fight because I could see," said Vazquez, who had cuts above both eyes, the worst on the right side. "But my cut man (Joe Sanchez) deserves a lot of credit. So does my new trainer Rudy Perez.

"I think I proved what kind of fighter I am tonight. My nose was never a factor. I'm looking forward to fighting Marquez again. In the third fight, I will knock him out earlier."

Vazquez improved to 42-4 with 31 knockouts. Marquez, who took the belt from Vazquez in an eight-round TKO on March 3 in California, fell to 37-4 with 33 KOs.

The 29-year-old Vazquez, who fights out of Mexico City, went to the mat in the fifth, but Perez ruled he lost his balance. After he got up, Marquez began working the jab and sent Vazquez back to his corner a bloody mess.

As if sensing he needed to do something to change the momentum, Vazquez came out firing in the sixth. He knocked Marquez to the deck about a minute in with an overhand right, but Marquez continued after a standing eight count.

After the fight resumed, Vazquez continued pushing the action, landing a series of shots to the head and body of Marquez, who was not defending.

After one final right, Perez jumped between the fighters and ended it.

"This was an easy decision to stop the fight," Perez said. "I could tell (Marquez) was hurt after he went down. He got up but took a lot of punches."

Vazquez was leading 48-47 on all three judge's cards before the sixth, but Marquez appeared to be the stronger fighter early. That changed in the third when a solid right by Vazquez buckled Marquez's legs. He never looked as powerful after that, but he wasn't happy with the stoppage.

"I don't know why the referee stopped the fight," Marquez said. "I was still punching and he never looked at my eyes. I wanted to keep on going. I definitely want a third fight."

In the co-main event, Celestino Caballero (27-2, 18 KOs) defended his WBA Super Bantamwieght championship by taking a unanimous 12-round decision over Jorge Lacierva (32-7-6, 22 KOs) in a fight that looked closer than it was scored by the judges.

Rafael Ramos scored the bout 116-111, Dr. Ruben Garcia saw it 116-110 and Levi Martinez scored it 115-112, all in favor of the champ, who was making his second title defense.

"There was no doubt in my mind that I won this fight," Caballero said. "I was connecting with the better punches and jabbing him at will. I am happy with my performance but I know I could have done better. It's hard to look good against a guy who fights as dirty as he did.

"The best is yet to come. If I fight the Marquez-Vasquez winner, you will see the real me."

Caballero, who at 5-foot-11 has rare height for a bantamweight, looked awkward at times, perhaps struggling with the 5-4 Lacierva, and referee Lawrence Cole was forced to repeatedly pull the fighters apart as Caballero kept holding Lacierva's arm to his body.

"I am very disappointed," said Lacierva, the former IBA champ who fights out of Santa Anita, Mexico. "I came to fight and all he did was throw elbows and hold me. He was holding me and hitting me all night. He's a good champion, but I'm very disappointed."

On the undercard, Jorge Paez, Jr. (16-1, 10 KOs) worked hard for a unanimous decision over Jaime Orrantia (10-20-4, 2 KOs) in a six-round lightweight bout.

Junior middleweight Alfredo Angulo (8-0, 6 KOs) scored a TKO victory over Taronze Washington (9-8, 5 KOs) after Washington didn't answer the bell for Round 4.

Undefeated Mexican lightweight Juan Castanda (11-0, 9 KOs) earned a six-round unanimous decision over Jose Magallon (5-4, 3 KOs) in the first bout of the evening.

In the final bout of the evening, Gabriel Rangel (4-1-2) handed bantamweight Jose Salazar his first lost with a four-round split decision.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You were right on both accounts dude.

It's nice when that happens, and, if you were to ask Mrs binnie, rare! LOL!

I enjoyed both fights, but Marquez-Vasquez in particular had me on the edge of my seat. Both warriors.

It seems in the lighter divisions the top dogs fight each other all the time, makes for great viewing.

Its just a shame that stops around 140lbs...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

WBA Super-bantam Caballero will get blown out by either Marquez or Vazquez.

I was NOT impressed by him at all.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I would have to agree. Vazquez in particular will have way too much for him.

Mosely - Cotto is starting to get really hyped up, that could be a great fight if it happens. Age is definately on Cotto's side though. Mosely may be the most underated fighter of his generation, but the more I think about it, the more I think that Cotto will just be too young and fresh for him now. Still think it'd be a good fight though.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The problem I have always had with Mosely is that Vernon Forrest absolutely mowed him down twice. Forrest is decent, but not a "star".

I know some fighter have other fighters numbers, but he ended up being a big disappointment to me, much like Tito Trinidad.

Trinidad should have been an electric star after his win over De la Hoya, he got major lazy and faded fast.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The problem I have always had with Mosely is that Vernon Forrest absolutely mowed him down twice. Forrest is decent, but not a "star".

I know some fighter have other fighters numbers, but he ended up being a big disappointment to me, much like Tito Trinidad.

Trinidad should have been an electric star after his win over De la Hoya, he got major lazy and faded fast.
    The problem with Trinidad was that he could only do one thing: fight. As a result he was predictable and easy to train for, and consequently beatable by decent boxers. I always thought that De La Hoya won that fight, but lets not open that can of worms.

Forrest did have Mosely's number, but Mosely has beaten some stella fighters over the years. Although I can see your point about him never being a star. To my mind though, he's the only real fighter who has beaten De La Hoya convincingly. Twice. With the other guys who beat Golden Boy, there's always been a case, however slight, for it to have gone the other way. Not so with Mosely.

It's like Pacquinao had Barrera's number, but you can't deny that Barrera is an all time great; Foreman had Frazier's number, but Frazier is still a legend etc, etc...

Just a case of styles making fights I guess.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The fight I'm really interested in now is Hollyfield vs Sultan for a heavyweight belt.

My heart wants Hollyfield to win this, and I think it is in the realms of possibility, but I think he's got an up-and-comer in front of him, and one who can bang.

How do you guys see this?

I see that Hollyfield has two options:

1) Keep Sultan at range with his jab and counterpunch, slowly wearing him down

2) Get inside, and get dirty. Use his head (literally) and power to overwhelm Sultan. Risky, but more likely to work in the middle rounds, IMO

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cotto - Mosely is now officialy signed I believe.

That makes three classic fights in the not so distant future, along with:

Calzaghe - Kessler

Hatton - Mayweather

Finally, boxing is getting its act together and some of the top fighters are starting to face one another.

I've got a feeling that Cotto-Mosely might end up being the most spectacualr of all three. It just seems a classic boxer-fighter match up.

Anyone else psyched?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Felix Trinidad set to return from retirement, eyes Roy Jones Jr.

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
    August 13, 2007

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (AP)
    -- Felix Trinidad doesn't speak English so well, yet made his position very clear.

Only one fighter could lure him from retirement: Roy Jones Jr.

"Roy Jones is one of the biggest and greatest champions ever in boxing," Trinidad said Monday. "But he's never faced a puncher like me."

He will in January, when the two stars meet at an undetermined site in what promoter Don King is already calling "the people's championship." Both have agreed to fight at 170 pounds -- 10 pounds more than Trinidad has ever carried into the ring, and five less than what Jones weighed when he beat previously undefeated Anthony Hanshaw last month.

"It's a unique, special event that this sport needs," Jones said. "If you can't put it on the line for this, then you can't put it on the line for anything. This is the type of thing you put it on the line for. The sport needs another megafight and that's what this is."

Trinidad hasn't fought since losing to Winky Wright in May 2005 and has only prevailed in two bouts in the last six years. But when King flew to Puerto Rico about two months ago to gauge his interest in a comeback, Trinidad quickly said he'd be open to a matchup with Jones.

"This is going to be one of the most thrilling events we've seen in boxing in many, many decades," King said. "This is about pleasing the people."

Trinidad signed his part of the contract Monday, and King said he'd move quickly to get a deal struck with Jones -- who flew down from Pensacola, Fla. only hours after Trinidad formally agreed to the deal.

"I don't understand how Tito thinks he's going to win," said Jones' adviser, McGee Wright. "But he's a fighter and that's what we like. If he didn't think he could win, he wouldn't be there."

Trinidad is a former welterweight, super welterweight and middleweight champion and a national hero in his homeland of Puerto Rico. He took 2 1/2 years off before beating Ricardo Mayorga in 2004, but was dominated when he met Wright seven months later.

He retired again after that fight, but whispers of a Trinidad-Jones possible matchup have been circling for months.

"Most fighters of Tito Trinidad's stature would want a warmup fight after being off for this long," King said. "Not Tito Trinidad."

There was a sense last year that Trinidad was considering coming back to fight Oscar De La Hoya -- which would have likely been a huge draw, given how close many thought their bout was in 1999 when Trinidad won a controversial decision for the WBC and IBF welterweight titles.

Over the weekend, De La Hoya reiterated that he doesn't expect that rematch -- which has been talked about for years -- to ever happen, since Trinidad likely isn't interested in dropping to his weight class.

"Sure, I'd fight Tito if he comes down to 154," De La Hoya said. "I think there's probably more realistic opportunities for me with other fights, though."

Felix Trinidad Sr., the fighter's father, manager and trainer, said he probably wouldn't have agreed to another comeback try unless the potential fight had the marquee appeal he believes a Trinidad-Jones matchup will carry.

And he's not worried about the layoff, either.

"I can be proud to bring my son into battle with a giant such as Roy Jones," the elder Trinidad said. "My son's a legend, but so is Roy Jones. And Roy Jones has been there forever. He's made an indelible mark on people around the world."

Trinidad is 42-2; Jones Jr. is 51-4. Neither plans to fight before January matchup, and King hopes to have an exact date and site set soon.

"It's going to be a very big fight. A huge fight," Trinidad said. "I hear from Roy that somebody has to go down in this fight. I have to tell you Roy, it's going to be you. I always come to win."

AP Sports Writer Greg Beacham contributed to this story.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow!

Much as I like Tito, Roy Jones should walk this at that weight: he's the bigger guy, and a good big guy beats a good little guy.

The only chance I see Tito having is that Roy doesn't move anything like he used to, so he's a lit easier to hit. But I see Roy being able to keep him at range most of the time.

Looking forward to it though, although I'd rather of seen him back in with De La Hoya.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Abraham's fifth IBF middleweight defense ends with a knockout of Gevor in 11th round

August 18, 2007

BERLIN (AP) -- Unbeaten Arthur Abraham knocked out Khoren Gevor in the 11th round to retain his IBF middleweight title on Saturday.

Abraham (24-0, 19 KOs) punished his fellow Armenian-born German with shot after shot during the final four rounds.

In the 11th, Abraham's short uppercut spun Gevor's head around sharply and lifted him in the air. Gevor sagged onto his knees then toppled onto his back, going down for the first time in his career.

"He's a warrior, he showed that," Abraham said. "But anybody that wants my title has to be punished."

Gevor, the fifth-ranked challenger, gave Abraham trouble early. He pressed from the opening seconds and threw blows nonstop.

The fight turned when Abraham caught him flush with a right in the seventh. In the next round, Abraham hit Gevor several times with flurries -- a dozen shots on one occasion.

"I thought of throwing in the towel, but he wanted to show people," trainer Fritz Smudek said of Gevor. "He made one big mistake. After that big shot, he tried to slug it out."

Gevor (27-3, 15 KOs) only other losses was the result of cuts.

Abraham will fight in the United States next year, according to his management.

He is a popular boxer in Germany with a knack for exciting fights, including a successful defense last year against Edison Miranda after his jaw was broken twice early in the bout.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie
    Wow!

Much as I like Tito, Roy Jones should walk this at that weight: he's the bigger guy, and a good big guy beats a good little guy.

The only chance I see Tito having is that Roy doesn't move anything like he used to, so he's a lit easier to hit. But I see Roy being able to keep him at range most of the time.

Looking forward to it though, although I'd rather of seen him back in with De La Hoya.
    Don't underestimate the puncher's chance, Bin.......

But true, Roy should walk.....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chris John defeats Zaiki Takemoto to retain WBA featherweight title

August 19, 2007

KOBE, Japan (AP) -- Indonesia's Chris John defeated Japan's Zaiki Takemoto on a technical knockout Sunday to retain his WBA featherweight title.

The 27-year-old John improved to 40-0-1 with 21 knockouts. Takemoto dropped to 21-7-1 with 12 knockouts.

John sent Takemoto to the canvas in the sixth and eighth rounds with a series of punches to the head of the Japanese challenger, who wasn't able to continue after the ninth round.

John, who successfully defended his title for the eighth time, opened a cut above Takemoto's left eye in the fourth round and wasn't seriously challenged by the Japanese boxer.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Abraham's fifth IBF middleweight defense ends with a knockout of Gevor in 11th round

August 18, 2007

BERLIN (AP) -- Unbeaten Arthur Abraham knocked out Khoren Gevor in the 11th round to retain his IBF middleweight title on Saturday.

Abraham (24-0, 19 KOs) punished his fellow Armenian-born German with shot after shot during the final four rounds.

In the 11th, Abraham's short uppercut spun Gevor's head around sharply and lifted him in the air. Gevor sagged onto his knees then toppled onto his back, going down for the first time in his career.

"He's a warrior, he showed that," Abraham said. "But anybody that wants my title has to be punished."

Gevor, the fifth-ranked challenger, gave Abraham trouble early. He pressed from the opening seconds and threw blows nonstop.

The fight turned when Abraham caught him flush with a right in the seventh. In the next round, Abraham hit Gevor several times with flurries -- a dozen shots on one occasion.

"I thought of throwing in the towel, but he wanted to show people," trainer Fritz Smudek said of Gevor. "He made one big mistake. After that big shot, he tried to slug it out."

Gevor (27-3, 15 KOs) only other losses was the result of cuts.

Abraham will fight in the United States next year, according to his management.

He is a popular boxer in Germany with a knack for exciting fights, including a successful defense last year against Edison Miranda after his jaw was broken twice early in the bout.

I really like watching Abraham, he is a commited fighter. I'd love to see him fight Pavlick, it would be an explosive fight.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It would be and Pavlik may face him if he wins.

Thread Information