X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Thank you Harold Lederman and Max Kellerman.

Hatton is initiating the holding.

They took a point away from Castillo for low blows with no warning, and in the instructions, they said Hatton's trunks were too high.

This fight was bullshit.
    This is what the guys calling the bout were saying.

After the fight, they were in agreement that Castillo was a shell, a "shot fighter".

Hatton has signed with HBO, and they want to push him, and this was still what they were saying.

Killed him? A body shot takes Castillo out?

I guess if you get a chance to see it, watch it.

Hatton talked a lot of shit before this fight, I guess I don't see it and have never been impressed with him. Both of his biggest wins were against fighters at the end of the line.

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

When I said "beat", I meant "win".

No, he doesn't put "beatings" on anyone anymore.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Boxing is shit these days.

Fucking rubbish.

All about money and politics.

How the fuck can you get knocked out by a punch in the ribs?

The commentators are full of shit.

Gay.

Cheers!

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I'm sure there were many latin fighters that were thinking, "what a puss" also.

I'm sure the shot was a good one, body shots can be lethal.

I just don't know why they tried to hype this fight as some great impending war.

Castillo has been irrelevant for quite some time now, failed to make weight and suspended in the last year.

Everyone had Hatton winning this easy, but the spin is on to at least have someone tune in.

Hatton alone is not generating a PPV fight alone, thats why the smack with Mayweather.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's $30 for PPV here.

I was sitting a bit bored last night and nearly paid it.

Glad I didn't.

Boxing is a sham these days. They should just go the whole way and make it the same as wrestling. At least it might be funny that way.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Boxing is a sham these days.

That's why UFC and all the similar sports are becoming more popular, becuase the tops guys reguarly fight each other.

What boxing needs is to unify the the belts in each division, so that all the tops guys have to fight one another. Then we would see some great fights.

And Sesh, it is actually possible to be knoked out from a body shot, there are enough pressure points around there to do it. In this case, it looks to me like it was a case of unbearable pain: when some hits you with a really good body shot, it feels like all of your insides want to exit your entire body at once. It can be crippling if thrown by an expert, like Hatton.
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

I guess the next big fight is Winky-Hopkins.

Not going to be explosive by any means is it? Should be interesting for fight fans though, more of a meeting of minds than fists...

Comment

• DlocRoth
                  ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Liver shot.

And that low blow call was bullshit. I'm not saying Castillo had a chance, but at least he was mixing it up inside a bit before he got pointed.

Either way, what a fucking disappointment.
                  Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by binnie
                    I guess the next big fight is Winky-Hopkins.
                    Who's that?

Wee Willy Winky v. Mary Hopkins?

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

[B]Mayweather may take bait for Hatton superfight

June 25, 2007

By Mark Staniforth PA SportsTicker Boxing Writer

LAS VEGAS (Ticker)[B] - Ricky Hatton's dream showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr. has moved closer to becoming reality after his stunning win over Jose Luis Castillo in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Mayweather's uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, says his man could be ready to reverse the retirement decision he announced after outpointing Oscar de la Hoya last month.

And Hatton would be high on his list of potential opponents, with few other rivals capable of providing the pay-per-view interest required to bankroll a Mayweather return.

"The only way for Ricky to get Floyd in the ring is to drive up to where Floyd is at with a truck-load of money to persuade him out of retirement," Roger Mayweather said. "If Ricky and Floyd did fight it would be one of the greatest fights of all time. There has to be enough money, but enough money will get a dead man out of his grave."

Hatton has wasted no opportunity to pour scorn on what he perceives to be Mayweather's negative style, claiming his latest win contained more excitement than Mayweather's whole career.

Hatton took less than four full rounds to dispatch the Mexican - who had previously twice been the distance with Mayweather - with a breathtaking body shot.

And despite many shrewd judges giving Hatton little chance against the commonly accepted pound-for-pound world No. 1, Hatton is rightly bullish about his ability to hand Mayweather his first defeat.

Mayweather might be the pound-for-pound best in the world, but I think my style is his worst nightmare," Hatton said. "I think I've got the style to beat him. He needs me like he needs a hole in the head."

Fuelled by a growing desire to contest superfights for the remainder of his career, Hatton says he is reconsidering his previous pledge never again to step up to the 147 pounds welterweight limit.

On his only previous attempt, he struggled desperately to outpoint Luis Collazo in Boston, and was subsequently warned against repeating the feat by his trainer Billy Graham.

Given the exodus of potential 140 pounds rivals like Mayweather and Miguel Cotto to the higher division, Hatton is having second thoughts and now believes his future may lie in putting on the pounds.

"That is where all the big names are," Hatton said. "Against Collazo, I had seven weeks to move up and I didn't carry the weight comfortably and I lost a bit of mobility.

"Nigel Benn told me I really needed two or three fights to grow into the weight and given more time I am convinced I would be able to fight a damn sight better."

Comment

• DlocRoth
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I don't know......

Hatton said it. Mayweather doesn't need him. Hatton is no legacy fight.

Plus that fucker can hit like a mule. He would have one hell of a puncher's chance against Floyd.

I say no way Mayweather takes that fight.
                        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

If that fight happens at 147, it's an easy win for Mayweather as Ricky is a natural 140 pounder. Some guys are only great at one weight, and there's no shame in that.

If it happens at 140, it'll be a hell of a fight. But Mayweather will still win. Hatton can bang, and his body punches could really slow Floyd down, and he will also butt and elbow. But all of that is dependent on him actually being able to corner or catch Mayweather, and I just don't think his footwork is good enough for him to do it. He would certianly apply constant pressure for 12 rounds, but I just don't see him winning (much as I'm a fan).

Cotto- Mayweather would be much more competitive in my oopinion.

Or Shane Mosely-Maweather. "The battle of the lightinging fists" could be the tag line, lol! I think Mosley might just have the skills and speed to push Floyd.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

More talk from the Mayweather camp, from sportinglife.com

Ricky Hatton's taunts may have had the desired effect and tempted Floyd Mayweather out of retirement.

After Hatton's stunning fourth-round stoppage of Jose Luis Castillo at the weekend, the IBF light welterweight champion challenged Mayweather to a multi-million-pound super-fight.

Both fighters are unbeaten, but Mayweather had previously insisted last month's victory over Oscar de la Hoya would be his final bout.

Now, Mayweather's adviser Leonard Ellerbe claims Hatton's jibes have paid off.

"He got Floyd's attention. Now we're calling his bluff," Ellerbe told the New York Daily News.

"All he has to do is make a deal and he'll have his chance to back up all that talk. All that's standing between him and Floyd is air and opportunity.

"We can make the deal this week. He's very, very disrespectful. He's trying to promote himself off Floyd's name.

"When we make the deal, we'll show the world why he's the most overrated fighter of this decade.

"Floyd has never taken any fight personally. But he's taking this personally. Floyd is going to kick his butt."

Ellerbe revealed Mayweather was far from impressed by Hatton's performance against Castillo at the Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas.

He said: "He said he only wants to fight the best - then sign the contract. Floyd's going to show all his fans in Britain just what a phoney he is."

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Mayweather sounds pissed off, but is it al rhetoric?

From sportinglife.com

SPORTS HEADLINES

Mayweather - out to silence Hatton.

PRETTY BOY READY TO SILENCE HATTON
                              E-mail Article Print-Friendly Subscribe to RSS Feed
                              Post to del.icio.us

Click here for more boxing news

Floyd Mayweather Jr says he's ready to get in the ring with Ricky Hatton and "beat him all the way back to England."

The Pretty Boy announced his retirement from the sport after beating Oscar De La Hoya in their Las Vegas superfight last month.

But he's now fuming at Hatton's jibes after the Manchester hitman knocked out Jose Luis Castillo on Saturday night.

And it appears that a blockbusting showdown between the pair could well happen at last.

Mayweather said: "Ricky Hatton has talked nonstop about fighting me for the last two weeks.

"He has disrespected me and my accomplishments in the ring, and I take that very seriously. I'm going to give him the opportunity to step up and fight the best in the world. I don't think this punk will take the challenge."

A potential Mayweather/Hatton bout would feature two of the sport's best undefeated fighters. With his win over Castillo, Hatton improved his record to 43-0 with 31 KO's. Mayweather is 38-0 with 24 KO's.

"Now that Hatton has opened up his big mouth, he might start to think about what he has been asking for," continued Mayweather.

"Does he really want to step into the ring with best fighter of this era and embarrass himself? Being the coward that he is, I doubt he'll get in the ring. We'll see what his excuse will be this time."

Hatton has made no secret of his desire to break America and he has made it known that he covets a bout with Mayweather, long regarded by many fight fans as the best pound-for-pound boxer of his generation.

And Mayweather insists that the 28-year-old's talking has had the desired effect.

"Ricky Hatton is the most over-rated fighter of the last 25 years.

"He beat an old (Kostya) Tszyu and he beat an old Castillo who was shot. I beat Castillo twice and the first time I did it with one hand because the other was so messed up.

"That was five years ago when Castillo was in his prime. I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now."

Mayweather, 30, was dismissive of Hatton's ability and insisted he would go all out to cause his prospective opponent pain.

He said: "I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up.

"I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton. For me, boxing is a science but it will be a pleasure to prove to the world what a great phoney the guy is.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He cannot box. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. There is no skill to what he does in the ring. He has got zero skills."

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

The Hatton camp responds, from Irelandonline, also on breakingnews.com

Hatton yearns to put Floyd on floor
                                27/06/2007 - 10:41:02

Ricky Hatton is “chomping at the bit” to begin negotiations over a superfight with Floyd Mayweather, according to his father Ray.

The likelihood of agreeing a showdown with Mayweather moved a step closer yesterday when the American’s adviser Leonard Ellerbe declared they wanted to sign a deal “as soon as possible”.

And Mayweather’s eagerness to shelve his retirement plans has been welcomed by Hatton, whose drawing power in the United States has soared following Saturday’s crushing four-round demolition of Jose Luis Castillo.

“We’re up for the fight, you’ve got to be up for a fight like that,” Ray Hatton told Radio Five Live.

“But it doesn’t always end with the two fighters, there tends to be a few people getting in between.

“Ricky is chomping at the bit. I’ve spoken to him a little bit before all this came out and he said it’s a no-brainer. It’s a definite yes.

“Ricky will fight him anywhere – that’s the difference between him and Floyd, who wants it on home turf.”

Mayweather, who defeated Oscar de la Hoya at light middleweight last month before announcing his retirement, is ready to step down a division in order to fight Hatton.

The chances of Hatton moving back up to welterweight following 12 uninspiring rounds against Luis Collazo last year appeared remote, but the 28-year-old Mancunian must compromise if he wants to face Mayweather.

Father Ray insists valuable lessons have been learned from the disappointing display against Collazo and a new approach to meeting the 147 lbs limit will be taken.

“Ricky would be prepared to come up a weight. The two camps would have to get their head around it but it’s not an obstacle, not for a fight of this magnitude,” he said.

“This time if we knew we were going up to 147 we’d do it differently, we wouldn’t have five weeks to go up to 147.

“We’d do it from day one of a 12-week training camp. Ideally you need longer to grow into the weight, as Floyd as has.

“We wouldn’t make the same mistake of bringing Ricky in too heavy. We would even sacrifice some of the weight so he can keep his speed.”

Brash-talking Mayweather has already started directing insults at Hatton, labelling him a “great phoney”, and Ray believes any contest would be clash of “good versus bad”.

“That’s typical Floyd Mayweather. He disrespects people in one breath and praises in another,” he said.

“It’s quite amusing because we know the game and we’ve heard it all before. It’s part of the hype and is good for boxing.

“You’ve got Mayweather who is the brash, cocky kid and then there’s Ricky Hatton, the kid next door who everyone likes. It’s good versus bad.

“Ricky thinks Floyd is a fantastic talent and pound for pound the best in the world.

“Ricky respects Floyd but told him that his four rounds against Castillo were more exciting than anything from the whole of Floyd’s career.

“It was tongue in cheek but all good stuff. Ricky has been baiting Floyd, but it’s tongue in cheek.”
                                RELATED URLS:-

Comment

Working...