DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    It would be and Pavlik may face him if he wins.
    You mean if Pavlick beats Taylor? Much as I like Pavlick, I can't see that happening: I think Taylor is totally overrated but will still have a little too much movement for Pavlick, he'll hit and run all night to points victory. I hope I'm wrong

If Taylor wins, there is talk of him taking the winner of Calzaghe-Kessler.

Pavlick-Abraham would be a good fight though.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Actually Bin ... I'm picking Pavlik in the upset. He was that impresive against Miranda and my thinking is that with Taylor already deciding to leave the division, he is looking to figts down the road.

I have not liked the way taylor has looked since his Hopkins fights.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually Bin ... I'm picking Pavlik in the upset. He was that impresive against Miranda and my thinking is that with Taylor already deciding to leave the division, he is looking to figts down the road.

I have not liked the way taylor has looked since his Hopkins fights.
    I agree that Taylor has looked shody since the Hopkins fights, and how he got a "draw" against Winky I'll never know. Having said that, I think that he was lucky to get the decisions against Hopkins both times, but I can see a case the other way.

I just think Taylor has been in with the better oposition - Pavlick's tough, but it's easy to look good against fighters of the ilk of Miranda. I just think that Taylor will present too many problems for him, although I'd like Pavlick to win.

I see his best tactic to be creating angles and throwing punches from there - Taylor struggles to cope with that.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pretty Boy the Dancing Boy?

From doghouse boxing

Some news has hit the internet before its scheduled intent. The hit TV Show, 'Dancing With the Stars' is set to announce it's official cast list for it's upcoming season on Wednesday morning's "Good Morning America."

However on Monday, it looks like website TMZ.com has beaten the TV Show to the punch and has gone ahead and released a leaked list of celebrity contestants.

The website TMZ.com reports boxing's pound for pound King, Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be one of the dancing contestants on the popular show.

Floyd Mayweather Jr, who is set to face Ricky Hatton later this year, will join the cast, which reportedly will be 90210's Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth.

Also included in the televised dancing contest will be, model Gisele Bundchen and Cheetah Girls' Sabrina Bryan.

Jane Seymour and Nia Peeples are also expected to be part of the contest.

As for the men who will be joining, aside from Floyd Mayweather Jr, Wayne Newton, billionaire Mark Cuban and Backstreet Boys brother Aaron Carter. Add to the list, Lou Ferrigno, Richard Quest and
    Helio Castroneves.

The new season is set to premiere on ABC,

Sept. 24 at 8 p.m.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just can't imagine Floyd in a gay dancers outfit.

Actually, he looked pretty funny in all the gangster shit he used to wear

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Let's have some predictions for the big fights coming up:

Manny Pacquio TKO Barrera in the late rounds.

I'm a big Barrera fan, but he's had too many wars to win this one. However, if Manny isn't focussed like his last fight, then Barrera will win.

Taylor UD Pavlick.

Not been impressed win Jermain "lucky boy" Taylor since the Hopkins fight, but I think he will up his game here to silence his critics. Unless Pavlick can develop angles, and get Taylor against the ropes I just don't see him winning. That being said, if Jermain doesn't up his game he's going to take a beating.

Holyfield UD Sultan Igbramiov (yes, I spelt it wrong).

I want Holyfield to win this, I really do and this prediction is more heart than head. If Holyfield boxes smart and keeps at range, and then ties Sultan up when he comes in then he will win. I'm not too sure he can beat this guy if they decide to trade punches.

Cotto UD Mosely.

Mosely is an amazing fighter, and he is as fast as hell. But he is also old, and hasn't been in with anyone who works and fights like Cotto for quite some years, so I'm going for an upset here.

Mayweather UD Hatton.

My heart says "Hatton's gonna get close, he's going to throw some of those crippling bodyshots, and spend all night with his head on Floyd's chest, eventaully wearing him down." But my head knows that ain't going to happen. Floyd will move around him and throw four, five, six punch combinations to his head all night. And Ricky will take them all night, and just keep coming. The sad thing is that I just don't think that Hatton comes forward fast enough to get near enough to Mayweather. I hope that I am wrong

I'm not going to predict Kessler-Calzaghe as it's the only one I really care about, and don't want to jinx it

I think that we are in for some good fights though...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Junior Witter retained his WBC light-welter title on Friday, and I thought he looked really impressive.

He's the one man in that division who could really challenge Ricky Hatton, and he's been calling him out for years.

That would be a huge fight over here.

Despire an early carreer loss of Zab Judah, Witter has been a solid fighter; not always spectacular, but solid nonetheless.

One to watch in the future.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

TAYLOR CHALLENGES CALZAGHE. From http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/

by Peter Shuttleworth, Wales On Sunday

JERMAIN TAYLOR last night handed Joe Calzaghe the perfect multi-million pound incentive to destroy Mikkel Kessler.

Taylor has ‘promised’ Calzaghe a bumper transatlantic ‘mega-fight’ as reward if the Welsh hero KOs Kessler in their super-middleweight unification showdown in six weeks time.

American ace Taylor is considering a trip to Cardiff to be ringside at The Millennium Stadium to show he is serious about clashing with Calzaghe next year – on either side of the Atlantic.

Taylor’s promoter Lou DiBella will demand £3m from Calzaghe’s boss Frank Warren to persuade undisputed middleweight champ Taylor to step up a weight for the big bucks bonanza.

“If the money was right, I’d pack up the wife and kids and get on the first plane to the UK,” said Taylor.

“Joe Calzaghe is one of the world’s top, top fighters and those are the guys I want to seek and destroy.

“He is a stylish southpaw with substance; he’s a great boxer but I will never shy away from fighting anyone.”

Taylor, 28, lays his middleweight titles on the line next weekend against Kelly Pavlik in Atlantic City, but should both and he and Calzaghe’s unbeaten records remain intact, Taylor is demanding the match be made.

Taylor was Calzaghe’s top target for his November 3 show and the record-breaking WBO super-middleweight king was due at ringside for Taylor’s last fight against Cory Spinks in May.

But, although doing promotional work in New York the day before, Calzaghe decided against travelling to Memphis at the 11th hour as Taylor’s camp priced themselves out of the market.

Taylor, though, insists: “Taylor against Calzaghe would be a big money fight as it is not just two of the world’s top pound-for-pound fighters, but USA versus the UK and that’s always a special occasion.”

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have to say that the current war of words between Hatton and Mayweather is laughable.

These two are not cut out to be wordsmiths, lol.

I know they're trying to sell the fight but it does make it seems like more of circus event, IMO...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From bbc.co.uk/sport

De la Hoya wants to fight Hatton

De la Hoya wants three more fights before hanging up his gloves
    Boxing legend Oscar de la Hoya plans to put his retirement on ice and set up a showdown with Ricky Hatton next year.
    The 34-year-old American has mapped out a three-fight plan before quitting boxing for good and it could end with him facing Briton Hatton next autumn.

De la Hoya's plan needs Hatton to beat Floyd Mayweather in their upcoming clash on 8 December in Las Vegas.

"Let's put it this way, I'm crossing my fingers for Hatton," De la Hoya told BBC1's Inside Sport.

"I believe that Ricky Hatton has a wonderful shot."

De la Hoya's Golden Boy company is promoting the sell-out clash between Mayweather and Hatton at the MGM Grand Arena.

But he still has plans to continue his career inside the ring.

It isn't out of the question that I'll meet Ricky Hatton next year

Oscar de la Hoya

"I'm not retired and I believe that my body can still handle the big fights," he said.

"I want to fight three times next year, with two big fights in May and September. It isn't out of the question that I'll meet Ricky Hatton next year.

"I'm used to fighting once a year. I'm at the tail-end of my career but I feel that if I can have one tune-up fight first, get the ring-rust out of me, get into the rhythm of things, then I can have two other big fights in May and September.

"Then I think we'll be good for hanging up those gloves and calling it a career."

Mexican-American hero De la Hoya has won 10 world titles in six divisions across 43 fights and suffered just five defeats in his illustrious career, all of them to genuine top-grade campaigners in their respective weight divisions.

His last win came against Ricardo Mayorga for the WBC light middleweight title in May 2006, but he subsequently lost the belt in the richest fight of all time to Mayweather, almost a year to the day.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Youre right Bin ... but I wish Hatton didn't hold so much.

The more I watch him, the more it bothers me.

I think Pavlik has a good shot, as it seems like Taylor is looking past him.

I say the Mayweather-Hatton and Calzaghe-Kessler are the best of the lot, but all good fights indeed and looking forward to them.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Youre right Bin ... but I wish Hatton didn't hold so much.

The more I watch him, the more it bothers me.

I think Pavlik has a good shot, as it seems like Taylor is looking past him.

I say the Mayweather-Hatton and Calzaghe-Kessler are the best of the lot, but all good fights indeed and looking forward to them.
    The more I think about it, the more I think that Pavlick has a GREAT shot: I'm no longer as confident that Taylor will win as, like you say, he is looking past Pavlick, and clearly has trouble making 160 these days.

Hatton does hold a lot, but sometimes you've got bend rules to win fights: Ali used to lean on his opponents a lot, or rest his left hand on their face to measure them up; Holyfield buts A LOT etc etc....

It's easy to criticise the other way and say that guys like Hopkins and Mayweather rely on their skills too much and don't really fight enough - I know that's not illegal, but it makes for an equally dull fight.

If I was Hatton going into this one, I'd come in, grab hold of Mayweather, butt-him, elbow-him, do anything to get the upper hand. I really think that rule bending is an accepted part of most sports, the key is not to get caught, lol....

Having said that, Hatton could take a lump-hammer into the ring and still loose this fight: Mayweather will beat him all night, and Ricky will keep comin' - at the end on round 12 he will have a champion's heart with no championship belt.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Report: Boxer Mosley accused of doping

September 28, 2007

NEW YORK (TICKER)
    -- If a report by SI.com turns out to be true, the story of "Sugar" Shane Mosley is going leave a sour taste in the mouths of boxing fans everywhere.

According to the report published Friday, Mosley used Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroids "the clear" and "the cream" as part of a doping regimen before a 2003 fight against Oscar De La Hoya.

The report stated that BALCO investigator Jeff Novitzky alleged that Mosley began using those two drugs, as well as EPO, two months before the light middleweight championship fight won by Mosley.

Mosley, a BALCO client, was subpoenaed in the investigation and testified before the grand jury in 2003. He has denied doping and has never tested positive.

According to SI.com, evidence seized during the BALCO raids showed Mosley had blood work done to measure his hematocrit level, the volume of red blood cells, at 44.

In a calendar with his file, the date of July 26 was circled, accompanied by the word "start" and the letter "e," the web site reported, and the boxer's level increased to 52.2 by August 8.

"Most men are in the low 40s," anti-doping expert Dr. Gary Wadler said in the report. "Anything over 50 is considered off the charts."

According to the calendar, Mosley's final dose of EPO was administered on September 8, five days before the fight.

Blood doping has been an increasing problem in cycling and running, where athletes have boosted red blood cells to increase the capacity to carry oxygen to the muscles.

Mosley is scheduled to fight Miguel Cotto on November 10 in a WBC welterweight title bout.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Pavlik all day, babay.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I agree. Pavlik is going to be a bitch for Taylor.

And I wonder what Oscar's opinion is on this news about Mosely, he helped him get ready for Mayweather.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, Oscar will have to wash his hands of him. Too bad, Mosley helped get him into great shape.....

Not to mention..will he comment at all about their fight?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Would seem so .... Oscar cries foul everytime he loses.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Younger Hearns stays unbeaten by stopping Kamya

By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer

September 29, 2007

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP)
    -- Middleweight Ronald Hearns remained undefeated by stopping Robert Kamya in the first round Saturday night on the undercard of the Jermain Taylor-Kelly Pavlik middleweight title bout.

Hearns (16-0), son of former middleweight champion Thomas Hearns, showed off his speed and punching ability from the opening bell and sent Kamya (16-8) to the canvas twice, first with a straight right and later with a left hook.

After the second knockdown, referee Sam Viruet stopped the fight at 2:42.

Kamya became the 13th of Hearns' 16 opponents to fail to go the distance.

Thomas Hearns, a seven-time champion at divisions ranging from welterweight to cruiserweight, last fought in 2006.

In other bouts Saturday, welterweight Carlos Quintana returned to the scene of his only defeat and easily stopped Christopher Henry of Barbados at 2:46 of the fourth round to improve to 24-1.

The last time Quintana fought in Boardwalk Hall was last December when he lost to Miguel Cotto for the vacant WBA title.

Two Philadelphia heavyweights won bouts on the undercard. Robert Hawkins (22-9) won a unanimous decision over Terry Smith (30-4) of Little Rock, Ark. Smith has lost three of five fights since winning eight in a row on the heels of a loss to Calvin Brock in May 2004.

Hawkins had lost six of seven bouts.

In the evening's other heavyweight bout, Chazz Witherspoon improved to 20-0 -- barely breaking a sweat -- by stopping Ron Guerrero of Corpus Christi, Texas, in the fifth round.

Earlier in the evening, light heavyweight Omar Sheika (27-8), of Paterson, N.J., twice hit Tiwon Taylor below the belt, the second time knocking Taylor through the ropes and nearly onto the first row.

Though Taylor (26-14-1), of Greensboro, N.C., fought gamely, he lost when the fight was stopped at 2:25 of the fourth round.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Taylor-Pavlik

round-by-round

By Kevin Iole

Sunday, Sep 30, 2007 3:06 am EDT

ROUND 1

Taylor comes out fast and throws an overhand right.

Pavlik connects with a jab and a right. Taylor is firing hard shots. They're locked up in the center of the ring as the pace slows just a bit halfway through.

Taylor lands a double left and a right. Pavlik comes back with a hard right, but Taylor answers. Pavlik connects with a left-right.

Taylor's round, 10-9

ROUND 2

They're fighting rough inside as the round begins.

Right hand by Taylor hurts Pavlik. Taylor lands several punches in a combination and Pavlik goes down.

Right hand by Taylor staggers Pavlik again. Taylor is teeing off big-time. Pavlik is in serious jeopardy.

Taylor lands a left and then a right. There are 30 seconds left and Pavlik may not make it. Pavlik is bleeding from the nose and mouth as the round ends.

Taylor's round, 10-8

ROUND 3

Right hand by Pavlik early backs Taylor into a corner and wobbles the champion. Pavlik lands a left uppercut. Taylor counters with a right and then they clinch. Pace is slower than in the first two rounds.

Combination to the body and head by Pavlik backs Taylor up. He seems a little wobbly. Great counter left-right off the ropes by Taylor fights his way out of the corner.

Pavlik's round, 10-9

ROUND 4

They're trading jabs. Pavlik is moving forward. Taylor rips a hook low and is warned by referee Steve Smoger.

Pavlik backs Taylor to a corner, but Taylor fights his way out. Not many punches of significance are being landed. Hard right off the ropes from Taylor. Taylor lands a jab. Pavlik lands a right, but Taylor fires back with a hard right.

Taylor's round, 10-9

ROUND 5

Pavlik is jabbing at Taylor, who is circling and not punching much as the round begins. Taylor flicks his jab as Pavlik stalks forward. Lead right by Taylor lands. Taylor double-hooks to the body. Hard right by Taylor. Taylor jabs again. Pavlik isn't throwing nearly enough punches. Good combination by Taylor at the bell.

Taylor's round, 10-9

ROUND 6

Pavlik is stalking but not throwing. It's become a persistent problem. Hard jab by Taylor and then a double hook to the body by Taylor. Right hand by Pavlik backs Taylor to the ropes. Right hand by Pavlik doesn't seem to faze Taylor. Taylor's left eye is swelling. Right hand by Taylor lands. Taylor pops a few jabs. Taylor lands a right and a hard left.

Taylor's round, 10-9

ROUND 7

Right hand by Pavlik lands. They're swapping jabs.

Taylor comes out of a crouch and lands a right and then a left. Pavlik tries to find the range for his right. Hard jab by Pavlik. Another jab and then a right by Pavlik. Hard right by Pavlik and Taylor is badly hurt. Taylor takes two rights and Pavlik forces him to the corner. Pavlik fires and Taylor slumps down the ropes. Referee Steve Smoger stops the fight and Kelly Pavlik wins the WBC-WBO middleweight titles.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/blog/box...?urn=box,47292

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This fight was tough to score. HBO's Harold Lederman had Pavlik up but a point or two but the judges at ringside all had Taylor up by at least three byt the time of the stoppage.

A war.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This fight was tough to score. HBO's Harold Lederman had Pavlik up but a point or two but the judges at ringside all had Taylor up by at least three byt the time of the stoppage.

A war.
    I missed this fight due to unforseen circumstances.

However, I have sinced seen it and yes, it was a war. As soon as Pavlick got his jab working though, it started to swing his way. Seemed to me that Taylor was really tired - perhaps because he struggles to make 160 - but that's not to take anything away from Pavlick who fought like a motherfucker.

Anyone know if there will be a rematch I'm sure I read somewhere about a rematch clause in the contract, but at 168 rather 160.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I hope its not true about Mosely, I really do...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What surprised me about it was Pavlik, more than once, tried to "showboat" and be a tough guy and stick his tongue out and his chin out and he got caught, knocked down, and damn near ... damn near ... knocked out.

I don't know how he held on, and I also would not have been surprised if it had been stopped, given the nature of the stoppage. I wish they would have let Taylor at least try to get up. Taylor must have been hurt enough though because he conceded the knockout in the dressing room.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What surprised me about it was Pavlik, more than once, tried to "showboat" and be a tough guy and stick his tongue out and his chin out and he got caught, knocked down, and damn near ... damn near ... knocked out.

I don't know how he held on, and I also would not have been surprised if it had been stopped, given the nature of the stoppage. I wish they would have let Taylor at least try to get up. Taylor must have been hurt enough though because he conceded the knockout in the dressing room.
    I know what you mean, but the other side of me says that there's no point some guy getting really hurt by being allowed to continue.

Pavlick showed real stupidity in showboating, but real heart and courage in getting up. The two guys were fairly evenly matched in terms of skills and power, but it was because Pavlick wanted it more that he won: that's what's so great about boxing.

I'd like to see Pavlick take on Arthur Abraham next - that would be a hell of a fight, as Abraham likes nothing more than a war!

I think Pavlick stepping up to take on the winner of Calzaghe-Kessler would be too much for him at this stage, and it would leave the middleweights without a discernable star.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Any of you guys seen the Contender III? Thoughts?

I'm glad they're doing the 168 division, as I've always thought that it should get more attention.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holyfield takes on Sultan Ibragimov this weekend. My heart wants Evander to win this (well, my heart actually wants him to quit boxing for his health) but my head says he can't largely because of the volume of punches that the Sultan throws.

Earler, I predicted a Holyfield win (going with my heart) on the understanding that he probably punches harder than anyone Sultan has faced, and also has WAY more experince and boxing nouse; his head movement has also been much better since his shoulder surgery, and he can now roll some punches.

But can he REALLY do it? Or am I living in a Rocky script?

I think I'm usually pretty good with boxing predictions (although I predicted Taylor over Pavlick, admitedly stating it would be close), but with a legend like Holyfield it is hard to be rational, I think the fact that I want him to win so much makes me believe that he can.

I suppose we'll see...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Joe Calzaghe marks his 10th Anniversary as champion tommorrow.

Wonder if he'll still be one after Nov 3rd and Kessler.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Barrera says goodbye to boxing (from canadianpress)

While Barrera says farewell to boxing, Pacquiao ready for new challenges
    2 days ago

LAS VEGAS - Marco Antonio Barrera quietly signed autographs for eager fans, holding a pen in his left hand and his youngest daughter in his right arm.

Barrera's daughter curiously poked at the still-fresh cut on her daddy's right eye, fiddling away until the Mexican champion flinched ever so slightly.

Barrera wants to spend more time with his kids and less time in recovery. That's why the 33-year-old fighter, still a world-class competitor, but past his best nights, vows he's finished with boxing after losing a unanimous decision Saturday night in an entertaining rematch with Manny Pacquiao.

"This is my last fight inside this beautiful sport," Barrera said Saturday night while his trainer, Sendai Tanaka, quietly wept a few feet away. "I say goodbye to this beautiful sport, but I fought the best fighters. I fought my best tonight. I'm happy."

While many a brash boxer has reneged on a threatened retirement, Barrera doesn't seem to be bluffing. He's a serious, wealthy man who has never pretended to walk away before. Plus, Barrera probably sees he's not up to the lofty standard set by Pacquiao despite the Mexican champion's valiant effort in the rematch of their 2003 bout.

"He is a great champion," Pacquiao said. "I am very honoured to beat him."

In front of a spirited, nationalistic crowd at Mandalay Bay, Pacquiao failed to put Barrera on the canvas, the first time that Philippines' favourite son didn't register a knockdown in seven fights since his last loss to Erik Morales in March 2005.

Barrera never hurt Pacquiao, except for a shady blow while the referee separated them in the 11th round, leaving Pacquiao momentarily woozy against the ropes. The slight was forgotten when Pacquiao led the standing ovation for Barrera at their post-fight news conference.

Pacquiao's victory was another boon to his native Philippines, currently bedeviled by battles between government troops and Marxist and Muslim insurgents. Some troops were drawn away from combat duties so they could watch the bout, while millions of fans emptied Manila's usually packed streets.

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, was content with almost every aspect of his easily distracted superstar's effort, though it's easy to sense Roach's mild frustration with the minor weaknesses that prevent Pacquiao from being essentially perfect.

"Manny's in-and-out motion and the feints slowed (Barrera) down a lot," Roach said. "Manny's footwork was too much for him. He was fighting a smarter fight. Speed and power is not enough to stay in this game forever. I want him to keep working."

While Barrera's skills might have slipped a bit, Pacquiao still seems to be at his peak, and he has plenty of options for his next step, including a move up to lightweight.

"We've been talking about it," Roach said, adding that Pacquiao gained 14 pounds between Friday's weigh-in and fight night. "I think he definitely can fight at 135. It's getting a little harder to get down to 130, and I think he's ready to step up."

Pacquiao's most intriguing future prospect at 130 pounds might be a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez, who fought Pacquiao to an entertaining draw in 2004.

Pacquiao knocked down Marquez three times in the first round of that fight, but Marquez rallied fiercely. Marquez faces Rocky Juarez on Nov. 3 in Las Vegas in a bout that was postponed from Sept. 14. Since promoters Oscar De La Hoya and Bob Arum have settled their long-standing legal battles, Pacquiao might be eager to take on another Golden Boy power.

Joan Guzman also appeared at Saturday night's news conference to publicly challenge Pacquiao, though Arum said Guzman should be worrying more about his 130-pound fight with Humberto Soto on Nov. 17.

Both would be compelling matchups for Pacquiao, as would David Diaz, the WBC champion who knocked Morales into retirement in August.

"I'll be happy whoever I fight," Pacquiao said. "I don't want to compare my talent. I just think I'm an ordinary fighter, that I can fight a good fighter or the best fighter. I don't think I'm the best."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I didn't see the Barrera-Pacquiao fight, but it sounds like it was a lot more one-sided than the first one (which I had pretty even, maybe Barrera even edged it in my eyes).

An all time great, no doubting that, and a true warrior - Barrera will be missed.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sam Peter beats Jerry McCline (from eastside boxing)

Duva Boxing's Samuel Peter Shows "Heart of a Champion" In Victory Over Jameel McCline

New York, October 9—“Samuel Peter has the heart of a champion, great fighters have the heart to win when they are down,” said Dino Duva, promoter of the WBC interim Heavyweight Champion following his fight at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night.

Peter, the knockout artist known as the Nigerian Nightmare, was having a nightmare of his own, when challenger Jameel McCline knocked him to the canvas late in the second round, and several times in the third. But Peter rose from the canvas, dusted himself off, and proceeded to dominate McCline the rest of the way. Add to the mix that Peter had badly injured his left hand during training camp, and you have an even more impressive performance.

“Sam, with a champion’s heart, went through with the fight in spite of the injury, unlike several champions who have pulled out of major fights recently,” said Duva.

Slugger has Fan-Friendly Style

“Sam’s not at his full potential yet, not even close,” said Duva. “You witnessed the beginning of a new era in the heavyweight division, the Sam Peter era, a new era of excitement and explosion in the heavyweight division. Sam’s an exciting slugger and brawler, who loves to mix it up. It’s a style that the fans and television love. His style will have fans flocking back to the heavyweight division.”

Peter now has his sights set on unifying the heavyweight division. In line are Oleg Maskaev, the original opponent for the Garden fight before an 11th hour back injury forced him to the sidelines, IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko, WBA titlist Ruslan Chagaev, and the winner of the upcoming WBO championship featuring Sultan Ibragimov against Evander Holyfield.

“Sam’s goal is to fight all of the champions and become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world,” said Duva. “He clearly showed on Saturday that he’s the man to do it. You can’t keep a good man down.

“We are honored and grateful to the WBC and Jose Sulaiman to be the first to recognize Sam as the heavyweight champion.”

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I feel that I can state with a great confidence that Sam Peter will never be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. Shannon Briggs has more chance.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone see the Diaz-Diaz lightweight fight last night?

Juan Diaz annihilated Julio, because the latter allowed himself to be drawn into a brawl rather than using his height and footwork advantages. I was pretty confident than Juan would win becasue he is so relentless and has so much power, but I didn't think that Julio would be so easy to beat. The fight was stopped in the 8th.

Juan Diaz vs Joel Casamayar would be a magnifienet fight, (I think JC would win but it would be tough). However, there is now talk about Amnny Pacquiana moving up to face Diaz. Both those guys are come forward punchers who fight relentlessly, so it would be a war. My head says Pacqaiano would win because I think that he is the best pound for pound fighhter on the planet, but we don't know how he woud cope at 135.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie
    Holyfield takes on Sultan Ibragimov this weekend. My heart wants Evander to win this (well, my heart actually wants him to quit boxing for his health) but my head says he can't largely because of the volume of punches that the Sultan throws.

Earler, I predicted a Holyfield win (going with my heart) on the understanding that he probably punches harder than anyone Sultan has faced, and also has WAY more experince and boxing nouse; his head movement has also been much better since his shoulder surgery, and he can now roll some punches.

But can he REALLY do it? Or am I living in a Rocky script?

I think I'm usually pretty good with boxing predictions (although I predicted Taylor over Pavlick, admitedly stating it would be close), but with a legend like Holyfield it is hard to be rational, I think the fact that I want him to win so much makes me believe that he can.

I suppose we'll see...
    looks like I was living in a Rocky script!

I didn't buy this fight because I wanted to watch the Diaz's. However, the reports suggest that a brave Holyfield was beaten solidly on points 8 rounds to 4. Holyfield could n;t cope with Sultan's counterpunching, and could only get one shot off at a time (a sign of a shot fighter.)

What I had forgotten to take into account is that Evander has always struggled with Southpaws. Seems that he made a big mistkae this time by constantly circling onto Sultan's big left hand, rather than away from it. Maybe with better tactics he could have won...

It was a game performance against a world champ, and Holyfield aims to continue. That;'s carazy in my view - whose he going to fight? Klitchstcho would brutalize him, and I think Peter would have too much as well despite his recent shitty performance.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For anyone who didn't see the Diazs' fight, here are some highlights. Very good once you get through the first three minutes of shitty music:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNyl-k1EeQ0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNyl-k1EeQ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Why Julio decided to stand toe to toe and not box behind his jab I'll never know...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's Sam Peter impersonating Humpty-Dumpty in the McCline bout. Kudos to him for coming back and winning after this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmgwRN-OCIE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmgwRN-OCIE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Calzaghe-Kessler this coming Saturday people!

I think this could well be the fight of the year, should be a killer.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For me Calzaghe-Kessler is too close to call. I said a few pages back that I didn't want to jinx my boy (Calzaghe) by making a prediciton, and I stand by that (yes, I am a pussy!)

Opinion seems to be split two-ways.

1) The Calzaghe-sheep. These are the wholly biased boxing fans who think that this is going to be Calzaghe-Lacy II. It isn't. People who think this clearly know very little about boxing. Lacy was a very good fighter, potentially he could have been great: lots of power, good chin, strong, durable and accurate. But he got taken to school by someone far, far superior. But Kessler is nothing like Lacy, who just comes forward all night. Kessler likes to sit back, counter-punch, and prefers is opponent to come to him; he also has far, far better footwork that Lacy. How this will be Lacy II then I'll never know.

2) The Kessler-sheep. Kessler is going to blitz Calzaghe all the way home. Equally erroneous view. Kessler has never faced anyone like Joe, who is quick-footed, has unbelievable handspeed, and genuinely loves to go toe-to-toe. Joe will be too quick and work too hard to get "blitzed". Those who are arguing for a late KO may be closer to the point however, rounds 10-12 may be viable. The second arguemtn is that Joe Calzaghe slpas and can't hurt Kessler. Equally wrong. Lacy looked like a bus had hit him, so don't tell me Joe can't punch. Sure, because of his hand injuries he's had to alter his style (in the late 90s he could REALLY band, Chris Eubank said no-one ever hit him harder), but both Kessler and Calzaghe have a similar KO percentage.

There are a couple of variables: if Calzaghe has gotten old overnight then Kessler's work will be considerably easier, and if he damages his hands then I van't see the fight going the distance.

But these variables aside, I just think its too close to call. Calzaghe has faced guys like Kessler before: European style, big punching, great jab and fast feet. But he's never faced one guy that had all of these features (Kessler is a unique fighter, something really special). But then again, Kessler has never faced anyone like Calzaghe, and how he copes with the handspeed will be significant. For my money, this fight swings on how Kessler manages Calzaghe: if he can control the pace, and not allow himself to be overwhlemed and taken out of his comfort zone (what JC specializes in) then he stands an fantastic chance of winning.

Boxing wins either way: if Calzagje loses, we;ve had 10 years of a unique fighter who's beaten 6 other belt holders and done Britian proud. If Kessler loses, it'll only be a matter of time before he's champ again: once JC retires, he'll dominate the Super-mids, and maybe even the light-heavies, for as long as he wants to because there's no-one around to match his skill level and power.

I for one am looking forward to a classic.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nice op. Bin.....

Can't wait for this fight.

I'm going with Joe.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DlocRoth
    Nice op. Bin.....

Can't wait for this fight.

I'm going with Joe.
    Cheers Doc. We have a good fornight ahead of us for boxing: the Saturday after Calzaghe-Kessler, we have Mosely-Cotto. Two great fights, IMO. Thing is, over here I have to stay up till like 3am to watch them because of the time difference, so Mrs binnie is going to be pissed at me. I'm sure it'll be more than worth it though...

I'm going for Cotto in that one, although I wouldn't be surprised if Sugar Shane pulled it off...

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm taking Cotto there too....

#1 He's the younger, better fighter....

#2 I never got into Shane...for some reason, I'm always rooting for the other fighter in all his fights.

Thread Information